Author Topic: Ergodox - Teensy USB extension causing issues  (Read 1077 times)

Offline shadowdude777

Ergodox - Teensy USB extension causing issues
« on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:59:14 »
So I finished soldering together my Ergodox kit from Massdrop, but it doesn't seem to be playing nicely. Every time I plug it into my computer, I get "USB Devices Disabled - Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices" (Mac OS X 10.10).

I can plug a USB cable directly into the Teensy's port and program it from there, but I can't type anything. I've read that this is because the Teensy's VCC is not hooked up to the board's VCC. I tried jumping the VCC directly to the 5V pad on the board, but it gave me the same "using too much power" message (even though I was now using the Teensy's USB port).

tl;dr:

Teensy's USB - Can program Teensy, can't use keyboard

Teensy's USB with 5V jumped from Teensy - "using too much power"

Extension USB without 5V jumped - "using too much power"

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a feeling it's going to be something stupid.

I've attached pictures of everything I think is important. If anyone thinks they might need more pictures, let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: I've fixed it! Turns out that my TRRS jack on the right-hand side was the issue. I had accidentally bridged two of the holes that weren't supposed to be bridged on the backside of the PCB and never noticed it. Removing that bridge fixed everything. This really does make sense, since the TRRS jack only gets power from the USB extension on the board and not from the Teensy directly, so connecting directly to the Teensy didn't cause any issues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:30:51 by shadowdude777 »