Author Topic: [IC] GMK Retrowave [GB August 1]  (Read 145116 times)

Offline Havattack

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. Bringing a piece of 1986 to 2021.
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 20:31:03 »
I think you should make the Katakana sub-legend alpha's part of the basic set, it just goes too well with this theme.. Anyone else?

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 22:10:40 »
I think you should make the Katakana sub-legend alpha's part of the basic set, it just goes too well with this theme.. Anyone else?
Gonna have to pass on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline udller

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 01:03:04 »
has a vendor ever done an ic then turned out to run the gb throught another vendor? this looks cool.

Offline srslyshinobi

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 14:29:32 »

I support that completely.

Offline Kotairo

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 20:42:03 »

I’d say just have it as an option, I’ve seen GBs with 2 alpha options for the base. I’d be one of the Katakana folks <3

Offline Havattack

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 21:06:47 »

I’d say just have it as an option, I’ve seen GBs with 2 alpha options for the base. I’d be one of the Katakana folks <3

That works too, divide the modifiers and alphas up. It just sucks having to buy 2 sets of alphas, when i'm only going to use one.

Offline Guvnor

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 21:26:52 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
Somebody on my Discord suggested doing a render with this set and Cerakotes Lollypop, Prison Pink and Corvette yellow. Turned out nice.

Turned out better than I could have imagined! Thanks for the renders!

254290-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2020, 21:38:29 by Guvnor »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 08:45:41 »
Somebody on my Discord suggested doing a render with this set and Cerakotes Lollypop, Prison Pink and Corvette yellow. Turned out nice.

This keyset is so rad. Definitely going to be a grab for me.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks cool, except those aren't the real legends. Had you thought about maybe getting in touch with the runner to ask for the render files? If you're gonna promote your keyboard on someone else's IC, it seems like good courtesy.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 14:10:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks cool, except those aren't the real legends. Had you thought about maybe getting in touch with the runner to ask for the render files? If you're gonna promote your keyboard on someone else's IC, it seems like good courtesy.

Not really trying to promote anything. Just quick and dirty renders for fun with what I had based on a Discord suggestion and thought I'd share.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 14:13:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Not really trying to promote anything. Just quick and dirty renders for fun with what I had based on a Discord suggestion and thought I'd share.

You shouldn't of paid that any attention, your "courtesy" was perfectly find.  It was rather obvious you were just messing around, and not trying to "promote" anything. I  didn't see you even  mention the name of your board or a link to it.
And you did an awesome job too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2020, 14:20:26 by Havattack »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 16:19:13 »
Whether this is fine is really up to the designer of this set, which is why the proper thing would have been to ask first. I won’t speak for him, but I will say that if someone took one of my designs that I worked very hard to create, and stripped all the nuance out of the legends and presented it as-is, I’d be pretty unhappy to have what amount to low-quality copies floating around that I now have to answer for and explain why they look different from my own renders and the final product. Conversely, if someone were to ask nicely for my keyset art and use them faithfully in their own renders, I’d be thrilled to share them.

Playing around is fine, but if they’re not your toys, ask first.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 22:41:49 »
I won’t speak for him,
... LOL!
"Whether this is fine is really up to the designer of this set" Is it? (Honest question, i think it probably is, or at least in this thread it is, but I like advocating for the devil.) If i want to make a render of this set on a cheese grater, and draw it out of crayons, who's going to stop me, how can they stop me, and MOST importantly, WHY should they be able to stop me? Pretty sure i can take ANY artist work, and modify it however i want, legally, and morally, becasue it leaves the original intact.
But really, that was so obviously an okay thing to do, it's silly to think he would have to/should ask. If anything, he's doing him a favor, and no one ask permission before giving a present.
It's absurd that you think you would "have to answer" for someone making poor quality renders of a set you designed, or that anyone would even ask you to. People go to threads like these for the renders, WHERE the creator has complete control over what he shows under his original post.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 12:38:57 »
I won’t speak for him,
Pretty sure i can take ANY artist work, and modify it however i want, legally, and morally, becasue it leaves the original intact.

Bruh

Offline Havattack

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 12:44:45 »
I won’t speak for him,
Pretty sure i can take ANY artist work, and modify it however i want, legally, and morally, becasue it leaves the original intact.

Bruh

If i make a copy of the Mona Lisa, how does that alter the original... bruh? (It doesn't, obviously.)

Offline Surostu

• switchkeys.au x keyboardfinder.com
    • keyboardfinder
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 17:38:47 »
Yo! can we talk about the set please. Keep this crap on reddit lol.

How are the survey results going Stef?

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 06:51:42 »
Hey guys!
We are still working through all the data, and are almost ready for the first round of modifications. We've also been in talks with several vendors and hope to lock down the team very soon.

Things I am working on:

- Dropping numpad from base (It's clear from the data this is a good call. Plus, it will help us as we aim to hit a large MOQ to compound the slimmer kit for even better pricing)

- Fixing a couple of rendering errors (Numpad 00 for to name one)

- Fixing the 40s kit

- Going through Konstantin's notes in detail

- The next 2 deskmats (A not-insignificant amount of people aren't crazy on it as it stands. I hear you! This one is slated for the RGB offering, and I am busy penning the others for see how they are received)

- Experimenting with another accent kit. I know a lot of you said you'd like Cyan. I won't be replacing the yellow with it, but i'm not against the possibility of offering an accents kit if I think it works.

:)

*EDIT* Deskmat protos have arrived. I have the RGB Version too which I haven't unboxed yet. Contrast looks great.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2020, 22:57:35 by SwitchKeys »

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 11:07:25 »
Hey guys!
We are still working through all the data, and are almost ready for the first round of modifications. We've also been in talks with several vendors and hope to lock down the team very soon.

Things I am working on:

- Dropping numpad from base (It's clear from the data this is a good call. Plus, it will help us as we aim to hit a large MOQ to compound the slimmer kit for even better pricing)

- Fixing a couple of rendering errors (Numpad 00 for to name one)

- Fixing the 40s kit

- Going through Konstantin's notes in detail

- The next 2 deskmats (A not-insignificant amount of people aren't crazy on it as it stands. I hear you! This one is slated for the RGB offering, and I am busy penning the others for see how they are received)

- Experimenting with another accent kit. I know a lot of you said you'd like Cyan. I won't be replacing the yellow with it, but i'm not against the possibility of offering an accents kit if I think it works.

:)
Thank you for the update and a possible cyan kit

Offline Havattack

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 12:57:56 »
Hell Yeah! I too thank you for the possible Cyan! I wonder if it would be possible to do a chrome accent, (or whether it might look tacky..) I guess you could collab with Rama or something  on some brushed aluminum enter, esc, arrows, and space bar keys, to achieve the look.
Like in the NewWaveRetro label:

Also please add pink (modifier color) space bars, and the option to have then entire f-row in the modifier pink color ( I don't understand why almost every set forces me to make the separate f clusters different colors..)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2020, 13:06:59 by Havattack »

Offline Surostu

• keyboardfinder
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 16:08:58 »
I approve of all of these changes  :cool:

Offline CAZ

• Project Manager for Switchkeys
    • Switchkeys AU
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 21:50:15 »
I cry for my fallen numpad, but happy to hear changes are in the works

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. FIRST DESKMAT PROTO PIC INSIDE
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 02:19:34 »
I still think thematically you could try to differentiate the set a bit more from others that already exist within the retrowave genre.

We already have a set with a sun novelty, a cassette novelty, the deskmat looks very much like a very common wallpaper thats been floating around a few years now.

The colors are great, the addition of yellow is rad (a very underused color IMO  :thumb:) but I wish the theme were more creative so it would really set this set apart from other sets. You've mentioned the video game consoles being a big part of what you remember, and I'd totally look at going down that path as a theme. Quarters, tokens, tickets, the crazy carpet that was in 90% of arcades in the late 80's/early 90's would make a killer deskmat.

Not only is it good etiquette to try to provide working lanes for other sets that already exist, but I just think this is such a rich and relatively unexplored genre I'd like to see more unique aspects to it as a set, and think that would be fairly easy to do and make this a really good set at the same time.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline paysen

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 12:13:40 »
Add NORDE and count me in <3 Such a nice looking design. 

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 14:43:49 »
the crazy carpet that was in 90% of arcades in the late 80's/early 90's would make a killer deskmat.

YES!

Offline Guvnor

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 15:18:50 »
I still think thematically you could try to differentiate the set a bit more from others that already exist within the retrowave genre.

We already have a set with a sun novelty, a cassette novelty, the deskmat looks very much like a very common wallpaper thats been floating around a few years now.

I don't care what has been made. I care about something I can actually get :D This kit looks just 100% perfect, and doesn't need any changes.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 16:19:55 »
the crazy carpet that was in 90% of arcades in the late 80's/early 90's would make a killer deskmat.

YES!
Show Image

Yes. :eek:

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 16:41:15 »
Any chance of you adding another R4 1u Alt and two R4 1.5u Super keys for MX HHKB bottom row (1u Alt, 1.5u OS, 7u spacebar, 1.5u OS, 1u Alt)?

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 16:47:58 »

YES!
Show Image

I’d love to help design

Offline Havattack

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:26:58 »

I don't care what has been made. I care about something I can actually get :D This kit looks just 100% perfect, and doesn't need any changes.
I second this. Some of us haven't been able to get some/any of the sets that guy mentions. Add more novelties if you wish, but please don't remove any.
It's silly how obsessed some people are with being "different" or unique. Sure, other set are similar, there are only so many colors out there (good ones at least), but this set does it BETTER.

Offline Wickles

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 09:14:33 »

YES!
Show Image

Oh god please make this!   ;D

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:41:31 »

YES!
Show Image

I'm gonna need this. If this doesn't get made for this set, you need to run it. Fantastic.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:44:21 »

YES!
Show Image

That's a big ol' yup from me.

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:04:33 »

YES!
Show Image

I'm gonna need this. If this doesn't get made for this set, you need to run it. Fantastic.
Will definitely keep that in mind!

Offline Araset

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:43:53 »

YES!
Show Image

Big Up!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 15:31:07 by Araset »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 11:33:12 »

YES!
Show Image

That's a big ol' yup from me.

Def interested in getting this deskmat even I don't grab the set.

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 14:59:09 »

The colors are great, the addition of yellow is rad (a very underused color IMO  :thumb:) but I wish the theme were more creative so it would really set this set apart from other sets. You've mentioned the video game consoles being a big part of what you remember, and I'd totally look at going down that path as a theme. Quarters, tokens, tickets, the crazy carpet that was in 90% of arcades in the late 80's/early 90's would make a killer deskmat.

Not only is it good etiquette to try to provide working lanes for other sets that already exist, but I just think this is such a rich and relatively unexplored genre I'd like to see more unique aspects to it as a set, and think that would be fairly easy to do and make this a really good set at the same time.

While I think it is fair to ask to differentiate the set a little more, I believe that that colours are already different enough. I would not confuse this set with others like laser, vaporwave, or analog dreams, and I feel regardless of differentiation of theme or not, most would buy the set based on the choice/appeal of colours. As for the novelties, I think they are completely fine. They represent the set for what it is - a retrowave set. I do agree some video games novelties would be cool but it depends on what they are and I feel like maybe another set with different colours would suit the 80s arcade theme more, which I believe is already in the works and would once again 'conflict' with another set. Some of the current novelties are also simply too iconic to the genre to not reference or include.

I agree that we should have good etiquette in regards to provide working lanes for other sets but the flip side of that is that sets should not limit the number of creative takes on an genre, especially with one that has numerous very similar (yet different) sub-genres that tie in to a common theme - e.g sunset novelty. Is the big difference in colours compared to other sets not enough to provide a safe working lane for other sets? Is a there a set in specific you are referring to where there might be a conflict? Are the novelties an issue? Just trying to understand a little more.

Note: Not trying to be hostile :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2020, 16:11:40 by ilikerustoo »

Offline Surostu

• keyboardfinder
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 03:45:24 »

I agree that we should have good etiquette in regards to provide working lanes for other sets but the flip side of that is that sets should not limit the number of creative takes on an genre, especially with one that has numerous very similar (yet different) sub-genres that tie in to a common theme - e.g sunset novelty. Is the big difference in colours compared to other sets not enough to provide a safe working lane for other sets? Is a there a set in specific you are referring to where there might be a conflict? Are the novelties an issue? Just trying to understand a little more.

I think this is a perfect take on this. No one should be able to own iconography that has been around for decades. Well said.

If it was a straight rip, then sure, but it clearly isn't.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 13:13:56 »

While I think it is fair to ask to differentiate the set a little more, I believe that that colours are already different enough. I would not confuse this set with others like laser, vaporwave, or analog dreams, and I feel regardless of differentiation of theme or not, most would buy the set based on the choice/appeal of colours. As for the novelties, I think they are completely fine. They represent the set for what it is - a retrowave set. I do agree some video games novelties would be cool but it depends on what they are and I feel like maybe another set with different colours would suit the 80s arcade theme more, which I believe is already in the works and would once again 'conflict' with another set. Some of the current novelties are also simply too iconic to the genre to not reference or include.

Word b, word.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 11:39:14 »
This is very dope and true to the retrowave a e s t h e t i c... But one thing here is really bothering me. The setting sun legend and graphic.

Look at the caps:

The look the roughly the same. Stripes start at 50% of the height of the circle. But then you get the deskmat:

See the difference? Here, the stripes start at about 70-75% of the sphere's height. That's a bit tilting, but that's not all.

The other problem with these stripes is that they're uniform in thickness, which gives a completely different vibe. Instead of looking like the setting sun reflecting on the surface of the ocean, they look like the sun is being observed through horizontal blinds. Something like this:

Now, that in itself isn't that bad and certainly fits with the retrowave aesthetic, but I belive the way more iconic retrowave look is "the reflection", where the stripes gradually get thicker, like here:

This is because both vaporwave and retrowave/outrun are design aesthetics based on gradients. the horizontal lines are a way of approximating a gradient without using more than one color. Using them also creates this nifty transition of the circle slowly dissolving instead of just being obscured by bars.

To help illustrate what I mean here, I fired up the ol' Illustrator and made a quick mockup of how I believe the "classic" retrowave setting sun should look:

If OP doesn't want to change the symbol or can't (due to technical restrictions), then I would at least ask to make the design consistent between the caps and the deskmat. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2020, 11:41:18 by OmniSzron »
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:32:53 »
This is very dope and true to the retrowave a e s t h e t i c... But one thing here is really bothering me. The setting sun legend and graphic.

Look at the caps:

Show Image
Show Image

The look the roughly the same. Stripes start at 50% of the height of the circle. But then you get the deskmat:

Show Image

See the difference? Here, the stripes start at about 70-75% of the sphere's height. That's a bit tilting, but that's not all.

The other problem with these stripes is that they're uniform in thickness, which gives a completely different vibe. Instead of looking like the setting sun reflecting on the surface of the ocean, they look like the sun is being observed through horizontal blinds. Something like this:

Show Image

Now, that in itself isn't that bad and certainly fits with the retrowave aesthetic, but I belive the way more iconic retrowave look is "the reflection", where the stripes gradually get thicker, like here:

Show Image

This is because both vaporwave and retrowave/outrun are design aesthetics based on gradients. the horizontal lines are a way of approximating a gradient without using more than one color. Using them also creates this nifty transition of the circle slowly dissolving instead of just being obscured by bars.

To help illustrate what I mean here, I fired up the ol' Illustrator and made a quick mockup of how I believe the "classic" retrowave setting sun should look:

Show Image

If OP doesn't want to change the symbol or can't (due to technical restrictions), then I would at least ask to make the design consistent between the caps and the deskmat. :)

I told you Stef :p

I personally don't have strong feelings going one way or another, but I do agree with you that the gradient sun is nicer and more symbolic of the retrowave genre. Furthermore, it helps distance the cap from Laser's sun by a bit

Offline Havattack

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 22:36:24 »

Look at the caps:

And I thought i was OCD... I can almost guarantee you, you are the only one that noticed that...But now that you've pointed it out to me, I can honestly say, that I could not care less. Sorry.

Offline varzaman

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 09:16:32 »
I actually noticed it too and agree with the other guy :P

The colors look awesome though. It is really gonna pop.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 13:09:25 »
I actually noticed it too and agree with the other guy :P

The colors look awesome though. It is really gonna pop.

Well, never mind then. I stand corrected.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 11:58:18 »
Yes, yes, yes. The answer is yes!

Offline RUN_GMSEE

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 12:37:47 »
LOVE the deskmat :-*

Offline smackyp

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 16:02:07 »

YES!
Show Image

Oh my god. That would make for a brilliant deskmat.

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 16:59:50 »

YES!
Show Image

Oh my god. That would make for a brilliant deskmat.
I do have an IC up for these

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 16:02:22 »
I'm super keen on this set, and love that ISO-UK is represented in the base kit (making it a must buy!).  I'm keen on the katakana alphas, too, but at the moment there are no ISO-UK equivalents there.  Is there any chance of those being added?

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 14:55:28 »
Love the idea, maybe a bit too loud for me but who knows.
But same as a few others, I am really not feeling the yellow. Hoping for some cyan or another color, but not yellow

Offline parzival418

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 16:48:41 »
I would love to see some orange or teal incorporated in here. Or a volt/UV green instead of the yellow even.

I concur with this!  I would love to see some orange keys in there similar to the color at the bottom of the sun.  Or maybe orange legends on the caps.

Definitely going to pick this up! Sad I missed the GMK Lasers and these are right up the same alley.  Keep it up!

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. New Kits SoonTM
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 20:18:51 »
Hey guys! Just chiming in to say I am reading through each and every comment here and in the IC form.
I am busy presenting some alternate forms to existing kits and will update soon when they are finalised.

Thanks everyone who's taken the time to offer feedback. I am hoping to wrap up all the kits this month so we can push on.