geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] MCC Profile Choc Translucent Keycap - UPDATE: POM SELECTED

(1/7) > >>

moergo:
We have designed a cylindrical keycap for Kailh Choc v1 keyswitches. It is intended to be translucent white but shine-through.

Images https://imgur.com/gallery/BPxJvde

UPDATE: The IC results prefer POM. As such we have gone ahead and selected to use POM. An order has now been placed for the mold

I have been working with the factory. The great news is that we have two options in making these translucent keycaps. We have the choice of translucent PBT (think HyperX Pudding but more opaque) or translucent POM (think Escape POM keycaps). The factory is now running validation tests on both materials.

However we will need to make a decision. I need your input to decide whether to go with translucent POM or translucent PBT. Please help by filling in the Interest check (https://forms.gle/z6f2i2EMBXY4B2AJ9)! Thanks.

Key features:

* Designed for Kailh Choc v1 key switches (PG1350 series)
* Designed for Choc spacing (18mm x 17mm)
* Cylindrical profile
* Injection molded POM
* Translucent, designed to glow with under-key LED
* Textured surface
* Inspired by excellent MBK profile (hat tip to Matt u/mburger); specifically designed not to visually clash with MBK keycaps
I believe this will be the first POM keycap set made for Kailh Choc v1 switches.

Please note the attached photos are shot with SLA 3D-printed resin keycaps. As such, these photos are for illustration of the design only, and not necessarily representative of production keycaps. The production keycaps are expected to be:

* Different in translucency
* More textured
Interest check https://forms.gle/z6f2i2EMBXY4B2AJ9
Discord Channel and FAQ https://discord.gg/HG33NRhNR9

Expected timeline:
Now: Working with factory to validate translucent POM and translucent PBT
Very soon: Working with you all to decide whether to go with translucent POM or translucent PBT
September to October: Build injection mold
November: Pre-production samples to arrive for approval
If the sample quality meets our expectations, we will start the GB.

Faehriss:
please yes POM oh my god take my money

OddField:
 :D That's a vote for POM methinks.

So far it is about 60:40 in favour of POM, but sample size is not yet big enough to swing decisively either way. Hopefully more people will make their preferences known.

alas:
A note: POM wears at molds much faster than PBT. I personally prefer POM even so, and I think most people will agree.

Besides that, I recommend you prototype the design a little further. Most cylindrical profiles either have a narrower top than bottom or a slight angle to be more comfortable.
Both features are absent here. Cherry's ML keycaps are a good example of how best this can be done.
Signature Plastics also has two low profile keycap families designed for ML that have some dimensions you could use for reference.

TLDR; flat sides and zero degree angled tops make for a very unexceptional keycap.

edit: my bad. there's a slight angle on the sides. Frankly, not enough. Needs the inclined top as well.

OddField:

--- Quote from: alas on Sat, 11 September 2021, 01:21:27 ---A note: POM wears at molds much faster than PBT. I personally prefer POM even so, and I think most people will agree.

Besides that, I recommend you prototype the design a little further. Most cylindrical profiles either have a narrower top than bottom or a slight angle to be more comfortable.
Both features are absent here. Cherry's ML keycaps are a good example of how best this can be done.
Signature Plastics also has two low profile keycap families designed for ML that have some dimensions you could use for reference.

TLDR; flat sides and zero degree angled tops make for a very unexceptional keycap.

edit: my bad. there's a slight angle on the sides. Frankly, not enough. Needs the inclined top as well.

--- End quote ---

We designed this keycap specifically for our keyboard, and in fact we have tested many different designs, including some that are taller. At the end, this design is chosen for a number of reasons:
1. It is the most comfortable design out of the many we have tested. Personally I think eyeballing a keycap design from photos and coming to a conclusion on the comfort level is difficult.
2. The keycap is designed specifically for maximizing low-profile. Generally it simply does not make sense to pay a premium price for choc switches to have tall keycaps. As such the height of the keycap is an absolutely critical constraint. With a low height, the constraints on the design is much more stringent. There is only so much sloping one can do.
3. This keycap is specifically designed to be visually compatible with MBK key profile. Many people uses MBK key profile for Choc keyboards. I like MBK too, however sometimes and some boards do need a cylindrical profile for comfort and ergonomics for certain keys. For example, I personally think for many keebs the thumb keys are more comfortable with a cylindrical profile than a dish profile.
4. As for inclined top, it is an option we have explored quite a bit. We tried quite a few inclination angles.  But at the end we decided that a cylinder with 0 degree profile is the most comfortable for our keyboard.

P.S. it definitely is not a flat side if you look carefully. The sides are composed of two (non 90-degrees) surfaces and a small curved transition area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version