geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Keepers of the Faith Switch/Keycap Try Library

(1/4) > >>

CPTBadAss:
Been floating this idea with the Keepers and some others. In the past I ran a switch and keycap tester tour. Hashbaz has the ultimate switch tester tour. But it seems like interest to ebb and flow with the tours. And I had my tour set so that the minimum post limit was 100 posts, which was a high entry point. I think we’ve come up with a solid idea so I thought I’d see what the community thinks.

Switch/Keycap Tester Library

You know how you go to the library, it has all these books, and you pick a few that you’re interested in? Same concept. We’ll stock a bunch of tester stuff and if you want to try it out, just let us know. I have the tester in my switch tester tour link above. CM Storm has those 6 switch testers coming. I can buy/borrow/collect keycaps and make an Alps tester board. And I have a way to get a relatively cheap Topre board.

The thread would work something like:

-       CPTBadAss switch tester – Available

-       CM Storm tester #1 – On loan to XX

-       CM Storm tester #2 – On loan to YY

-       Keycap bag – Available

-       Alps tester board – Available

-       Topre tester board – On loan to ZZ

So we’d keep the boards on hand and have a perpetually running thread. If you wanted to borrow something, you leave a message in the thread. Borrower pays for shipping both ways. Have less than ## posts? Leave a deposit with one of the Keepers (probably myself or jdcarpe). When we get the tester back, you get your deposit back. Have more than ## posts? We lend it to you for the cost of shipping.

I think this could work for CONUS/Canada/Europe. I have a proxy in Italy that could help me distribute testers in EU for cheap (USPS shipping rates from me to Italy). BlueBar might be able to add his tester to this when he’s all done with his plans.

I know in the past I’ve been skittish about lowering my post count rule on my own tour but I’d feel better with the backing of the Keepers about lowering the rule.

Anyways thoughts, opinions, and comments are welcome! And maybe I can get a hold of a Model M…but those would be a bit harder (i.e. bigger) to ship.

n0husty:
This sounds like a great idea. And I like the deposit for the low post count people. I mean us newbs can't be trusted!

dragonxx21:
First dibs on trying topre.

MOZ:
Sounds like a good idea. I would like if there was some love for non-CONUS/EU as well.

CPTBadAss:

--- Quote from: n0husty on Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:36:31 ---I mean us newbs can't be trusted!

--- End quote ---

Sorry, we can discuss whether or not the deposit is the best idea. The tour I ran in the past was completely funded by me and through donations from people. They were willing to take losses but I don't want to lose out again. Not trying to push people away but in this way, I can replenish things if they do go missing more easily. It's just easier on my mind knowing the person I'm sending things to. But this is all from my own point of view. Thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version