Author Topic: HHKB Poll: How are your DIP switches set up?  (Read 15283 times)

Offline dante

HHKB Poll: How are your DIP switches set up?
« on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 15:43:57 »
 ;D

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: HHKB Poll: How are your DIP switches set up?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 15:45:12 »
I don't see the poll.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 15:52:05 »
I don't see the poll.

yeah we can't post polls :(

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 15:56:46 »
Just list your settings here

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 16:12:47 »
Everything Up but '2' and '5' Down

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:26:57 »
I have 1, 3, 5 on and swap my tilde and esc key in keytweak
I hate everything.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 21:32:36 »
Up means 'on' right?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:00:53 »
Um, I just change that one switch to Mac mode. The rest I left as default.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:03:40 »
delete off, backspace on.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:37:31 »
48600-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:44:17 »
Delete swapped to backspace
Autohotkey for other stuff

Offline Jack

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:46:54 »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 03:30:32 »
UDUDDD

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 03:49:25 »
Disabled windows key lol.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline adhoc

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 04:38:40 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 03:28:06 »
I use Mac mode to get volume control available, swap del/bs and meta/alt. I don't know how 'Wake up' setting works, though, enable it.

The Other day I found unknown mode(SW1:on SW2:on) has exotic key codes on Fn layer like: Cancel, Find, SunOpen, Undo, Cut, Copy,  Paste, Redo.... I'd call this Sun mode.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:53:09 »

Probably I have one of the most bland setup lol with HHKB JP. Mac mode for the win! The media keys being accessible on the Fn layer and home keys are really handy also one does not lose any functionality when going Mac mode, just enabling four/five extra keys.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:19:17 »
mine currently is 010100 :p I don't know how the "wake up" works though
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:58:13 »
mine currently is 010100 :p I don't know how the "wake up" works though

Ha!

On the subject of wake up (seeing as how I temporarily can't find the original thread) I set the switch to enable wakeup on my HHKB connected to my Mac.

Previously the keyboard would not wake the Mac up, but worked fine as soon as I clicked the mouse to wake the Mac.

After enablement, I could press a key to wake the Mac, but the keyboard would otherwise not respond, so I couldn't type the password.

Except, and this is the weird part, no keys would register except Return, when the Mac would, quite naturally, report that the password was incorrect.

The second attempt to enter the password would work.

So I switched the switch back to disable wakeup, and just use the mouse to wake the Mac.

This happened consistently.

A fault somewhere?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jrwestcoast

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:30:58 »
mine currently  101100

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:46:31 »
011111 on hhkbpro, not sure if dip settings are different for pro2
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 20:28:14 »
011111 on hhkbpro, not sure if dip settings are different for pro2
Between the HHKB Pro and HHKB Pro2 apparently there are no differences. Apart from the USB socket placement is in a different position (on HHKB Pro) and there are no USB hubs on the Pro as well.

There is a difference between HHKB Pro2 and HHKB Pro JP. I suddenly realised this when I was looking for some source of information to go by. Apparently the HHKB Pro JP does not have Lite mode along with a few other variances.

Source (Japanese only): http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/leaflet/hhkb_backview.html

I use Mac mode to get volume control available, swap del/bs and meta/alt. I don't know how 'Wake up' setting works, though, enable it.

The Other day I found unknown mode(SW1:on SW2:on) has exotic key codes on Fn layer like: Cancel, Find, SunOpen, Undo, Cut, Copy,  Paste, Redo.... I'd call this Sun mode.

According to the same site, having both SW1 and SW2 on is "設定禁止" (prohibited setting). Too bad I won't have access to those functions with my HHKB Pro JP.  :))
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 20:39:03 »
Is there a verdict on this yet?  Is anyone tallying the switch positions?

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 20:48:28 »
I think it will be hard to draw upon conclusion. The OP has not been specific enough on the HHKB which could mean HHKB Pro, HHKB Pro2, HHKB Pro JP, or even HHKB Lite2. Most of them have switches of some sort as well as different assignments for each setting. Pro uses DIP switches Lite2 uses a different sort of switch.

Also I think there are still a few HHKB users out there whom haven't spoke about their own settings. *Recalls AKmalamute having Lite2 board, if mentioned that will bring another twist to the tale.*

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 21:56:13 »
I think it will be hard to draw upon conclusion. The OP has not been specific enough on the HHKB which could mean HHKB Pro, HHKB Pro2, HHKB Pro JP, or even HHKB Lite2. Most of them have switches of some sort as well as different assignments for each setting. Pro uses DIP switches Lite2 uses a different sort of switch.

Also I think there are still a few HHKB users out there whom haven't spoke about their own settings. *Recalls AKmalamute having Lite2 board, if mentioned that will bring another twist to the tale.*

Most people have HHKB Pro 2.  Either way if the switches are the same, does it matter?

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 22:02:51 »

Most people have HHKB Pro 2.  Either way if the switches are the same, does it matter?
True on the majority here having HHKB Pro 2. Though the switch assignments are different. Even for HHKB Pro2 vs HHKB Pro JP there are no two DIP switches to set the target OS on the HHKB Pro JP. Besides I don't have "wake up" function as well. I have however power save function which is set as off (that is power saving off).

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline adhoc

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 01:32:56 »
What exactly does wake up function do? Wake up your computer by the press of a button like moving a mouse or is there anything else?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 03:16:25 »
What exactly does wake up function do? Wake up your computer by the press of a button like moving a mouse or is there anything else?

Wake from sleep, or hibernation.

Not just if the screen saver has turned the monitor off but the computer is still running.

The whole computer is asleep.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 20:12:00 »
Yep, I turned the wake up function on yesterday and it helps wake up the mac with HHKB, but sadly it only works with the Return key
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:20:23 »
Yep, I turned the wake up function on yesterday and it helps wake up the mac with HHKB, but sadly it only works with the Return key

Return key ... hmmm ... I usually press space bar to wake my Mac.  If I ever get the urge I might try switching wakeup on again and try Return.  Although tbh just clicking the mouse is an acceptable approach for me.

Offline kyb

• i love the smell of nopsleds in the morning
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:21:14 »
Elite Mode. All switches in factory position. FN Delete masterrace ;)
Ergodox :o

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:03:52 »

Return key ... hmmm ... I usually press space bar to wake my Mac.  If I ever get the urge I might try switching wakeup on again and try Return.  Although tbh just clicking the mouse is an acceptable approach for me.

I love the spacebar wake up too T_T but after a day I found the return key is not too bad
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:19:00 »
Is there a diff between return and enter?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:29:17 »
Elite Mode. All switches in factory position. FN Delete masterrace ;)
Fn+BS (Del) here as well. Though not factory position so maybe half master race?  :p

I believe return == enter.

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline kyb

• i love the smell of nopsleds in the morning
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:46:14 »

No idea about other Operating Systems but on OS X Return and Enter keys send different key codes - but they're mapped to perform the same action in the text editing system.

Oh, and Wikipedia says (about Mac Photoshop):

while using the type tool in Adobe Photoshop, the return key produces a new line while the enter key ends editing mode.

Moar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_key#Differences_between_Enter_and_Return
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 06:49:13 by kyb »
Ergodox :o

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:29:53 »
USB HID has 3 codes for enter/return. Usual enter(28), keypad enter(58) and return(9e).
I think USB return code is not used for modern computers. HHKB can send keypad enter with Fn+enter in some mode.

Looks like the key is dubbed 'Enter' on PC, 'Return' on Mac, Sun and other architecture. And Mac and Sun calls its keypad key 'Enter'. 'Return' is master race.

http://www.pfu.co.jp/hhkeyboard/kb_collection/

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:30:07 »
double post, sorry.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 12:19:22 »
I have the first five switches on.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 03:22:14 »
A little too late to this post - My HHKB is connected to the MacBook Air. After setting the DIP switch, I could wake up the MBA with a space and I can immediately typed in my password without needing to press RETURN first. I am using the Pro 2 .. so I am not sure why rowdy and some other have issues.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 05:52:52 »
ah, forget to update, my Pro2 now can wake the Mac up by spacebar too, not only spacebar but also any key, so I guess there's something happen that I don't know at the first try :/
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 11:48:59 »
Switch 2 On = Mac mode the best bang for you HHKB bucks, the rest user discretion is advised. IMO the HHKB is best suited for UNIX and Mac OS X, but will work on almost any system.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:12:29 »
A little too late to this post - My HHKB is connected to the MacBook Air. After setting the DIP switch, I could wake up the MBA with a space and I can immediately typed in my password without needing to press RETURN first. I am using the Pro 2 .. so I am not sure why rowdy and some other have issues.

ah, forget to update, my Pro2 now can wake the Mac up by spacebar too, not only spacebar but also any key, so I guess there's something happen that I don't know at the first try :/

FWIW my Mac is (still) running Snow Leopard.  Maybe it has been changed in later versions of Mac OS?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:39:02 »
Ah, I'm on Maverick now.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:08:02 »
Mavericks too, but I dont think that's the problem tho :/
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 07:11:49 »
Mavericks too, but I dont think that's the problem tho :/
Maverick has some issues that need to be resolved, an update is rumored to be coming up 10.9.2 soon.