Author Topic: Internet Browsers  (Read 38552 times)

Offline deegaf

Re: Internet Browsers
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 04:04:12 »
Only Webkit browsers for me.  Chrome > Safari > Firefox in that order.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 07:29:32 »
Chrome at home, the metro version of IE on Windows 8 is taking some getting used to. I use Firefox at work as they don't allow Chrome to be installed on the computers. I use Dolphin for my Android phone and Tapatalk for browsing forums like this one.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline paradox

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:00:15 »
Waterfox sounds intriguing.  Are there any downsides compared to Firefox?

Offline Wopian

• Why Hello There.
    • Bobstudios
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 16:43:11 »
Opera, Firefox & Chromium.

Offline Number_25

• http://www.keironoshea.info
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:34:26 »
Firefox.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:33:22 »
I tried to like Chrome but nothing beats firefox in the end

Offline Preach

• The Insane
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 03:38:11 »
Waterfox sounds intriguing.  Are there any downsides compared to Firefox?

Waterfox is an exact clone other than it was take apart for speed.

However, cyberfox goes further steps to make it even faster and is what I'm currently using.
QFR - Browns |

Offline evolyn

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 18:06:20 »
chrome>firefox>rest

i jused firefox for years but i changed last year to chrome its dope
Iam Looking Desprate for Championship Riven QQ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 00:55:58 »
I think it's a pity Opera is switching to WebKit, mostly because it's becoming the new IE6, and it sucks. And I actually started to strongly dislike Chrome after only few days of using it. Awful user interface, bugs everywhere, ridiculous wasting of system resources,...

I hate the direction WWW is heading.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:36:34 »
I just switched back to chrome because FireFox adblock stopped working for me. Chrome adblock works fine...
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:53:09 »
Google stuff > rest.

Yes, I am a gfan :D

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 06:12:26 »
CHROME XD

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Muffet

• Man of many paths
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 08:19:43 »
I used chrome for quite a long time and have switched to waterfox for the last few months.

Painted QFR    Cherry ML for Work

Offline yester64

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 21:54:26 »
It appears that not many people use IE, or?
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 00:08:03 »
It appears that not many people use IE, or?

Well, it's not very good...

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:32:11 »
I recently switched back to Firefox after discovering how much RAM Chrome was hogging. Not only that, but Chrome seems to have plenty of bugs regarding streaming video which I simply can't have. But I don't really like Firefox.. so.. What is great for streaming video, capable of powerful adblocking, privacy/encryption (the works), is super fast and isn't a RAM hog?
Dvorak

Offline Rare

• Spending racks and bands on keyboards.
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:31:19 »
Nightly. I suggest everyone use firefox or chromium because Chrome is just a straight up botnet browser.
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline yester64

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:31:12 »
Right now i am using the IE9. Not so bad. Chromium ist great but i think on Windows you need to compile it. Because everytime i want to download it i am sent to the page for the compile stuff. Its more conviniend on Linux.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:57:13 »
Nightly. I suggest everyone use firefox or chromium because Chrome is just a straight up botnet browser.
Link to more info on this? Sounds slightly retarded

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:30:23 »

True, better to stick with Firefox 19.0.1 which is currently perfect in Windows 8 Pro.  It is still my all time favourite browser and getting better with every update.

I have always used Ad Muncher and Roboform with it and it  has always worked fine.  Plus I also have BIS 2013 as backup for any hardcore security control.

No I don't work for Mozilla.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:34:16 by Elrick »

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 01:13:05 »
You can't have a right and proper computer-related forum without a thread for folks to argue about what software they use to view Web pages on the Internet. So here it is!

So I guess I'll kick it off with the programs I use to go on the Internet. On my main machine, a Dell Optiplex GX270, and my Micron, I use Internet Explorer 6. On my Windows 3.1 machine, my iMac, and my Power Macintosh G3, I use MSIE5.

So what browers do you use?

LOL, I hope you're BS'ing, or you really need to get some new stuff.  I use Netscape Navigator with my 14.4k modem to dial into my Compuserve internet access using my Compaq 486.

But in all seriousness, am I the only one that uses different browsers for different purposes?  I use internet exploder, fire****s, chrome, and opera.  Different browsers are better for certain purposes, so why not use all of them?  Even on my minimal #! (crunchbang) linux system, I have chrome, fire****s, and opera.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 10:16:48 »
You can't have a right and proper computer-related forum without a thread for folks to argue about what software they use to view Web pages on the Internet. So here it is!

So I guess I'll kick it off with the programs I use to go on the Internet. On my main machine, a Dell Optiplex GX270, and my Micron, I use Internet Explorer 6. On my Windows 3.1 machine, my iMac, and my Power Macintosh G3, I use MSIE5.

LOL, I hope you're BS'ing, or you really need to get some new stuff.  I use Netscape Navigator with my 14.4k modem to dial into my Compuserve internet access using my Compaq 486.

But in all seriousness, am I the only one that uses different browsers for different purposes?  I use internet exploder, fire****s, chrome, and opera.  Different browsers are better for certain purposes, so why not use all of them?  Even on my minimal #! (crunchbang) linux system, I have chrome, fire****s, and opera.

You must be new here... if you haven't heard of microsoft windows.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:08:41 »

Nope, I use IE9 for my main browsing and FF with NoScript for my prawns.

For some reason I use Chrome at work.

Honestly I don't see a huge difference between modern browsers. Maybe if you've got a stopwatch but, come on. I can look at web pages, what more do you want?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:12:53 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:09:22 »

You must be new here... if you haven't heard of microsoft windows.

Not really, I just stopped coming here shortly after Ripster got banned because I've been busy using keyboards and don't have as much time to talk about them.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:14:22 »
Not really, I just stopped coming here shortly after Ripster got banned because I've been busy using keyboards and don't have as much time to talk about them.

Pretty sure Microsoft Windows was around long before Ripster was banned. Anyways, his thing is to talk about computers like it's still 1995 or whatever. I like it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:25:18 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline morpheus

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:26:41 »
Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox has some key addons that I've become addicted to ever since they added them.

Offline noons

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 15:53:56 »
Chrome on linux windows, and occasionally osx.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline cannedlemons

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 00:26:56 »
Chrome and Firefox. Firefox has some features I like more than chrome but I find that chrome seems more stable for me..

Offline JoeC

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 02:56:01 »
firefox and opera.
have chrome installed, but it's ui is just terrible.
keep ie just because it's there.  (Can't stand it.)

On a side note, I get a free license (ISP subscription) of an antivirus called 'FSecure'.  I have nothing but bad things to say about that.  Basically rendered all of my browsers useless, except for IE.  As soon as I uninstalled it, everything worked as normal.
Lurk Moar!!!!!

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 16:22:43 »
Chrome Canary
Safari

Opera is getting better too.

I make websites for a living! I hate using anything else but chrome.

Offline yester64

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 21:26:02 »
I stopped using IE since the app section is pretty dead on it. And so i return once more to FF. Chrome is ok, but i never get warm with it.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:46:08 »
TOR browser cause y'know.. legal stuff is for pussies =P
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 20:48:35 »
Im poretty sure using TOR isnt illegal.

Its what you do on there that can be illegal..

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 07:14:22 »
Im poretty sure using TOR isnt illegal.

Its what you do on there that can be illegal..

that's what i was talking about
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Harryboii

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 12:05:53 »
Chrome and Safari. Everything else just seems unpleasing and dysfunctional after using those two for a while now.

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 01:18:31 »
chrome only

Offline Henkers

• Youtube
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 14:17:19 »
I use chrome and firefox pretty frequently, but I think firefox will be the superior browser in the future. I find them to be pretty equal currently.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 15:04:35 »
This has been a long debate and I think it depends on needs and in some degree likes and dislikes. I was trying some of the major contenders like IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, my main requirements are low RAM usage, speed and the possibility to use some add on's like Zotero, that I use for research and paper's management. IE is out just because of that, then I only used in 2012 the last three. I found FF to be very prone to add-ware infection and Safari support for my needs have been too restricted. I am currently using Chrome and in general it covers my needs. It is fast, not to hard on RAM and allows to use the complements I need. A bonus are the programs that help to do things like typing practice. :)  I could not recommend it to others, however, simple because I do not know other people needs, so each one has to do his / her homework.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 17:05:38 »
After reading about it on another forum, I recently started using Cyberfox; it's pretty much a 64-bit clone of Firefox with the fat cut out (from the descriptions given). So far I've been enjoying it; open tabs, current settings, add-ons and their configurations , everything from Firefox seems to all have been imported. It does seem to load faster all around, but it's hard to say for sure or not, those foreign pages that take forever to load on Firefox do seem to take only a fraction of the time though (Keycool's product pages work well for testing this, lol).

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 12:09:18 »
I think it's a pity Opera is switching to WebKit, mostly because it's becoming the new IE6...

That doesn't hold any water in practice. WebKit is open source, and browser makers are free to alter and customize it how they want. There's actually quite a few differences between Safari and Chrome. Yes, they use the same core rendering engine, but that's about it. And the source code for Trident (IE's rendering engine) was never available, unlike with WebKit's.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 14:42:23 »
I think it's a pity Opera is switching to WebKit, mostly because it's becoming the new IE6...

That doesn't hold any water in practice.

Except it does.

WebKit is open source, and browser makers are free to alter and customize it how they want.

You're free to use any rendering engine as long as it's WebKit? Bull****.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:41:03 »
Firefox Nightly or Aurora

Offline Neal

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:37:07 »
I use lots of devices, so I use chrome for the synching

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 14:02:35 »
I seem to have gotten quite a few people interested in an idea I had. So far, no one has attempted to make tit though:
http://i.imgur.com/bjeIbUy.jpg

What do you guys think?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:36:16 »

That doesn't hold any water in practice.

Except it does.

You're basing your argument on an alarmist, opinionated blog post? And if you're referring to the first section, the one by Daniel Glazman, then I still yet fail to see what the problem is. Browser vendors are following the market. That's what businesses do. It's a perfectly sound business decision.

WebKit is open source, and browser makers are free to alter and customize it how they want.

You're free to use any rendering engine as long as it's WebKit? Bull****.

Why is that "bull****" exactly? Google's already forking WebKit, which they can because it's open source. Yet again, I still fail to see what the problem is.

If you don't like WebKit, then why not write another rendering engine? Or fork WebKit and change the things you don't like about it? There's nothing stopping you from doing either.

The browsers are turning to webkit because it's a superior product (at least in their evaluation). The point is, nobody but us technical people give two ****s about WebKit vs Gecko vs Trident vs whatever... they just want the websites they visit to work.

All this comparing WebKit to IE is complete horse****. When IE6 was dominant, the rendering engine was completely closed source. Nobody could come out with a browser that competed and yet was still compatible. That's just not the case today.

PS: I've personally yet to encounter any of these so-called "webkit only" sites (and I routinely use multiple browsers). If somebody could link me to a few, that'd be awesome.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:39:07 »
Chrome
i've been using it the last 2 years.
i think changing now would be a lot for me..i am pretty comfortable where i am now

Offline Paspie

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:09:21 »
I have used just about all of the top browsers during the time I've had a PC, and ATM my preference is Firefox. I found Presto isn't as good for Flash and JavaScript plugins, while I didn't like the text rendering of WebKit browsers that weren't swamped by Google's ecosystem. I wish more browsers used Gecko; its such an underrated and underutilised piece of technology. It turned out to be a decent middle ground for me.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 00:37:15 »
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline godly_music

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 15:31:41 »
You don't write a new rendering engine because you have no market share. Websites won't give two ****s about being standards compatible, they often simply do it WebKit compatible. This is the reason that Opera's Presto engine died. And it was a fantastic engine. Opera played stubborn and refused to cater to the laziness and faults of web programmers, with the result that they still had to implement side-specific fixes.

It's not about what's good, it's about what works within a pre-established WebKit dominated web. You don't crack that nut.

Unfortunately, every browser nowadays is bad. Chrome has a dumbed-down interface and "join Google" written all over it, Opera will soon be just another Blink browser with a few extra features and Firefox is still slow, for a racehorse. Each has its little quirks and bugs.

Offline habitualapse

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 15:36:06 »
Chrome
Filco MJ2 Ninja Brown TKL