Author Topic: Windows 8, your thoughts?  (Read 42917 times)

Offline DEAD_BEEF

Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 21:49:13 »
•Will you be getting a copy?
  Already have it.
•What do you think of the low price?
  It's a hell of a lot better than previous versions.
•What are your opinions on the new features?
  I like having anti-virus built-in, I also like having built-in virtualization though I've yet to try it (virtual NetBSD coming soon).
•Will this new OS be a problem for PC users?
  Depends on the user.
•What do you think of the new ribbon feature in place of the Windows Explorer address bar?
  Give <ctrl>l a try. It's still an address bar.
•Any features that you love and is the soul reason you are getting the new OS?
  I like to do periodic clean installs and windows 7 is getting prohibitively update-intensive.
•Will you be getting a Windows 8 tablet or Smartphone?
  Nope. I don't really like mobile phones. Although my Nokia n9 is pretty slick.
•How will the new OS affect your gaming?
  Not much of a gamer. I'm about to try "Unmechanical". Loved "Limbo".
•Anything else that you think that should be addressed about Windows 8?
  I hate metro, I mean seriously hate it. I do like the fact that they've kind of incorporated what's left of the Zune software via the Xbox Music app, and the metro Video player but I would have way rather had a rewrite of windows media player than two crappy metro apps. I'm trying to work myself into a state of denial about how much I hate metro, hopefully I'll soon be talking about how great it is.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 23:19:31 »
Well, um... you see. I, uuu..  love it!! :D
Very pleasantly surprised. It seems clean, snappy, and elegant. and there are things that just make it satisfying

only thing I don't care for is the crappy search bar. it doesn't seems to bring up nearly as much results as 7. for example, in windows 7 I could type in "partition" to find the disk format and partition utility, and it would pop right up. on 8, it won't find it, as far as I know anways. It's like that with almost everything I've tried searching for.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:10:01 »
all that matters is that overall most users barely use the Start Menu anymore

All that matters in what I spend my money on is the changes in other peoples' behaviors. Yeah, I'm arguing against the point you make in every post and don't seem to realize it...
40% layout, anyone?

Offline tcv

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 06:19:38 »
After looking at some reviews I think i'm going to stick with Windows 7 for awhile.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 06:34:26 »

Where in bloody hell did you get this information?  Oh right, the internet.  Because everything posted there MUST be true...

I am telling you as an IT professional, that there are still MANY users that still rely on the Start menu as their main way of navigating through Windows and their installed programs.  And as an IT professional, I also know that the average person HATES having to learn a new UI for a new piece of software (the Ribbon in the new Microsoft Office, being example).  Therefore, the average person will HATE Windows 8 for that exact reason...

Now considering that most of us here are above-average computer users, this need not apply to all of us.  But when talking about people in general, you can't speak for them unless you speak to them (and believe me, I hear people at work complain every time I upgrade them from Office 2007 to 2010).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Batmann

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 06:43:25 »
So right about people hating to learn new UI,
when I switched to Mac I hated it at first and after getting used to I now prefer it by far, spotlight is way more powerfull than a start menu, plus you trigger it with your keyboard which is very efficient

Offline tufty

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:01:43 »
You're still using Spudlight?  Install Quicksilver... 

Offline Malphas

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:00:50 »

All that matters in what I spend my money on is the changes in other peoples' behaviors. Yeah, I'm arguing against the point you make in every post and don't seem to realize it...
No, you can use whatever OS you like. The problem is when you aren't able to separate your experience from the debate over Windows 8 in general and try to suggest that Microsoft's actions are flawed in removing the Start Menu based on your own usage patterns rather than the reality of the current market in general (which you have done previously).

Where in bloody hell did you get this information?  Oh right, the internet.  Because everything posted there MUST be true...
Like I already said earlier, Microsoft's telemetry data is clear evidence of this. My personal experience of seeing how people use their computers backs up the fact, so I have little reason to doubt it based on a few people whining on Internet forums unless they (you) can provide evidence to the contrary.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 15:40:55 »
No, you can use whatever OS you like. The problem is when you aren't able to separate your experience from the debate over Windows 8 in general and try to suggest that Microsoft's actions are flawed in removing the Start Menu based on your own usage patterns rather than the reality of the current market in general (which you have done previously).
So my own experiences don't make a difference in what's pertinent to me and my purchases? As I've said in previous posts... CONTEXT. There is NOTHING outside of CONTEXT, and while Win8 is fine in the context of low end, common users, it ISN'T to all the people that complain about it.

Now, to make a ridiculous example that you might actually understand, imagine a plague killed all of the human-edible fruits, vegetables, and grains in the world, and the only way to survive is to eat grazing animals that can digest plants like grass that we can't. The catch is, you're a vegan and are completely repulsed at the thought of eating animals. So, do you give up your entire previous life to "follow the herd" and eat a different diet, or do you die? You, Malphas, would drop everything you have ever stood up for and chow down because that's just what everyone else who each has a different backstory than you is doing, while we, who are consistent and defend our preferences and habits, would struggle in the new environment.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 15:48:33 »
Now, to make a ridiculous example that you might actually understand, imagine a plague killed all of the human-edible fruits, vegetables, and grains in the world, and the only way to survive is to eat grazing animals that can digest plants like grass that we can't. The catch is, you're a vegan and are completely repulsed at the thought of eating animals. So, do you give up your entire previous life to "follow the herd" and eat a different diet, or do you die? You, Malphas, would drop everything you have ever stood up for and chow down because that's just what everyone else who each has a different backstory than you is doing, while we, who are consistent and defend our preferences and habits, would struggle in the new environment.

Hey, you're right.

That is a ridiculous example.

I'm going to go ahead and say that some people prefer the taste of meat. Just because you apparently don't like Win8 doesn't mean other people don't appreciate the improved performance, use of live tiles to provide streaming information and improved functionality on touch-based machines.

Sure, you have to cope with a new start menu and a modified layout, but come on, this is like if you had a car with, I don't know, a manual transmission, and then the same model of car got released with a semi-auto transmission and everybody is ****ting their pants "I have to deal with a paddle shifter now! This is an outrage"

Seriously, Windows 8 and Windows 7 are, besides some pretty basic changes in the UI, pretty much the damn same OS. Everything that ran on 7 will run on 8 just fine.

If you want to see outrageous UI changes, try out literally any flavour of linux.

"My toolbar is on the side now? WHO DESIGNED THIS?"

EDIT: Also, not meant as a personal shot, but the scenario you described above speaks to me more as a refusal to adapt just as much as a moral obligation. I would say the majority of the complaints about windows 8 don't come from self described "power users" who feel that windows 8 is a step backwards, I would say that it comes from the ignorant (I.E. uninformed) to the changes and don't care to learn about them before using the machine. AKA the guys who love windows XP so much and only updated to 7 six months ago  because their buddies convinced them that it's "good" and "better than vista" or something, and they are now outraged that M$ is releasing "yet another cash in"

Face it. 7 Is already 3 years old and XP is over a decade old. The start menu was introduced in windows 95, nearly 20 years ago. It's had it's day in the sun.

I would say 3 years is very much ample time for an OS refresh.

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 16:02:26 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 16:53:58 »
Like I already said earlier, Microsoft's telemetry data is clear evidence of this. My personal experience of seeing how people use their computers backs up the fact, so I have little reason to doubt it based on a few people whining on Internet forums unless they (you) can provide evidence to the contrary.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on what I hear people tell me at work.  Guess it's probably not the best information to base my opinion on, but it's the information that's most relevant to me personally.  I am sure you're fact based opinions are more accurate to the above-average computer user (of whom there are very few at my workplace).

I must give you kudos though... your arguments are beginning to open my mind and make me see that perhaps my initial standpoint on Windows 8 was horribly wrong and, when the time comes, I may actually make the plunge and give Win8 a shot.

But that's only going to happen if my current install of Win7 dies within the next month or two (which very well could happen).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Batmann

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:09:12 »

trying it atm, it's shiny but what made you switch to it?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:22:14 »
This thread has made me more positively disposed to Windows 8 than I was a week ago.

However, I am typically a glacially "slow adapter" of operating systems, the only one I jumped on in less than 12 months was Windows 98, and that was because I got a new computer with 95 just a few weeks before 98 came out, and the upgrade was free.

The thing that excites me is that it is faster. Does that mean that the hardware requirements are similar, or, gasp, lower?

My son is running a Windows XP box that should, on paper, be more than adequate for Windows 7, but I have tried numerous times and it simply will not install. If the hardware requirements are not too stiff, I would consider upgrading him (games, you know, not heavy-duty ones, he's only 13) before me.

We are talking about an AMD 64x2 and about 2GB of ram with 2-80GB hard drives. Some decent video card that was hot 5 years ago.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:31:15 »
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/system-requirements

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

TL;DR: They're exactly the same.

Basically if you're running any decent dual core processor (I'd say high end pentium dual core 775 chip or a Core 2 Duo) Slap 4 gigs of RAM in (it's cheap enough) and upgrade him to 7 or 8.

EDIT: Didn't see you posted your specs. It might be that your board isn't compatible somehow? If the drives are SATA and not in a RAID, try setting the drive detection to AHCI in the BIOS (IDE should still work fine though. . .)

EDIT2: Is it a manufacturer PC? A Desktop, I assume? I've seen osme issues with DELL pc's that won't reinstall because of how the drive is set up or something, I can't remember at the moment but, as I said, it's most prevalent with DELL and I think i've seen it with HP once or twice too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:35:40 by Internetlad »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:31:17 »
I already know that there are no Windows 8 drivers for my sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX). Or my Ceton cablecard tuner.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 03:48:10 »
I already know that there are no Windows 8 drivers for my sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX). Or my Ceton cablecard tuner.
There were drivers posted on the ASUS site last month. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_Essence_STX/PCI_STX_8_0_8_1813_W8.zip

You will probably find that the Windows 7 drivers for devices work just fine on Windows 8. I seem to recall reading that Windows 8 had native driver support for someone's Cablecard Tuner now over on another forum.

Offline Internetlad

Offline Malphas

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 14:08:48 »
So my own experiences don't make a difference in what's pertinent to me and my purchases? As I've said in previous posts... CONTEXT. There is NOTHING outside of CONTEXT, and while Win8 is fine in the context of low end, common users, it ISN'T to all the people that complain about it.
Jesus Christ, you're obtuse. Why can't you understand what I'm saying here? You're totally free to hate Windows 8 or think whatever you want about it, that's your opinion. However that's not what you've been saying in this thread, what you've been doing is making broad assertions as to what Windows 8 is in general, in fact you just did it in this post I quoted with no self-awareness whatsoever.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 04:33:32 »
Just installed win 8 on my lappy my main pc ill let you know more once i have everything moved back over.

Offline tufty

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 05:09:54 »

trying it atm, it's shiny but what made you switch to it?
It means I barely touch the mouse any more for stuff that isn't in-app mousing to carry out specific mouse only actions.  Launching apps, searching for files, pretty much everything can be done from quicksilver.  It's spotlight on steroids.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:43:49 »
so somehow i was able to fix my 30g x2 raid ssd and decided to go get win8 for the wifes computer (i won't put a new operating system on my work/home computer). Man it's blazing fast... but that's it, i mean i "tried" to work with the new ui and metro, but i can't get the corners correctly cuz my wifes computer is dual screen, also she's using a cherry ml4100 so i have to ctrl+esc everything, man win8 is annoying beyond it's sheer speed.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:00:08 »
also she's using a cherry ml4100 so i have to ctrl+esc everything

at the risk of sounding retarded

HOLY **** I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD DO THIS!

You just may have saved the model M on my bench. I was finding it exceedingly annoying to get around in windows 8 with no winkey.|

In other news, the more I use 8, the more I like it. It's very snappy, I would risk saying even more so than 7.

was using a machine running a 180GB intel 330 SSD, 8GB RAM and an i5-3330. VERY responsive, very quick. Solid platform. It's pretty amazing to know that you can get this performance for such a low price tag (comparatively to even a windows XP machine a decade ago)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:04:33 by Internetlad »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:34:04 »
ctrl+esc only brings up the desktop/pseudo start menu, i do not believe you can make it do windows key + s (or whatever those combinations do, since i've never used the windows key in 15 years and have always physically ripped out the key cuz of gaming).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:37:13 »
I posted the ctl+esc=winkey thing a while back and was taken to task over it.

Apparently that is just a menu, and does not really simulate the actual Windows keys.

However, if there is some key that you never use (what are those things above the home cluster for?) you can remap it to be a Windows key.

edit: Lanx beat me to it. I have used KeyTweak and it is very easy, although it requires a reboot.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:39:11 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:52:31 »
Yeah I sadly realized that after the fact. Still better than nothing.

An external program wouldn't work since I mostly use it on customer pcs

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 03:28:29 »
I like win 8 the more and more i use it the only thing that bumming me out is theres no driver for my dac so far :(

Offline Bry

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 14:37:21 »
  • Will you be getting a copy?

-------> Hell no.

• What do you think of the low price?

-------> I don't see it as a low price. I see their previous prices as being absolutely ridiculous. I think everyone envies the profit M$ must make on stuff like MS Office Pro.

• What are your opinions on the new features?

-------> Unnecessary. Trading functionality for "oooo pretttttty." GTFO.

• Will this new OS be a problem for PC users?

-------> Not if they don't buy it.

• What do you think of the new ribbon feature in place of the Windows Explorer address bar?

-------> IE lol. That is still a thing?

• Any features that you love and is the soul reason you are getting the new OS?

-------> No and no.

• Will you be getting a Windows 8 tablet or Smartphone?

-------> No.

• How will the new OS affect your gaming?

-------> Hopefully it sucks and a lot of people buy it. Then I can get tons of free wins off baddies who are busy alt tabbed trying to fix their Win 8 problems.

• Anything else that you think that should be addressed about Windows 8?

-------> If I want to use a smartphone OS, I will use my smartphone.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 15:11:59 »
Wow Bry seems youve got something stuck up your butt to be hating this hard on something you seemingly know nothing about.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 15:25:08 »
Didn't you know it's cool to hate things that are new and made by Microsoft?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 16:15:47 »
Didn't you know it's cool to hate things that are new and made by Microsoft?
Sorry no, no I didnt...

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 16:27:53 »
So I rebuilt my box at work into a windows 8 box with solid specs, and within the first couple hours of use got the :( SUMTIN WONG BSOD.

Pretty sure it's hardware related (Used cheap RAM as that's all we had to pull out of stock) or possibly related to the video card I used (general fab defects, possibly)

If this was my first experience with WIN8 I would not be impressed but since I actually know what's going on, I'm pretty sure it's hardware.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 17:41:04 »
i'm really tired of the OS... taking over stuff, like i use the wifes computer as the photo/video drive, you know the one that holds the pictures. so like i click on a pic and it uses xbox media something to show me the pic, i click on a movie and it uses xbox, and i can't get out of it to get back to desktop.

now i know this is on purpose, but i NEED to get to the desktop when i want, i don't want to be "stuck" in an application if i don't want, so i had to download picasa and vlc and let those programs handle all the pics and vids so that win8 won't hijack my desktop, wtf! (btw was gonna do picasa anyway, the facial rec is awesome, and i backed up the previous settings)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 17:56:57 »
win+d is desktop but anyway this should help you learn the basics I posted it a while back http://tinyurl.com/cqbx6f7

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 17:57:43 »
Also, alt+F4 to close the program.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 09:08:02 »
i'm really tired of the OS... taking over stuff, like i use the wifes computer as the photo/video drive, you know the one that holds the pictures. so like i click on a pic and it uses xbox media something to show me the pic, i click on a movie and it uses xbox, and i can't get out of it to get back to desktop.

now i know this is on purpose, but i NEED to get to the desktop when i want, i don't want to be "stuck" in an application if i don't want, so i had to download picasa and vlc and let those programs handle all the pics and vids so that win8 won't hijack my desktop, wtf! (btw was gonna do picasa anyway, the facial rec is awesome, and i backed up the previous settings)
Uninstall the default Metro apps, or right-click the files and change the program they open with by default.

The first time I tried running a file associated with a Metro app, it asked me whether I wanted to open it in a Metro app or the desktop.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:05:27 »
winkey+D = Desktop

Alt + Tab = next program

winkey = start menu (metro)/Desktop

winkey + e = open explorer (aka My Computer aka Computer)

It still surprises me how many people simply ignore the 101 windows key shortcuts and take the long way around every time.

If you don't care for the songs and videos opening in the apps, just install something like Media Player Classic and make it the default program instead.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:28:24 »
Non-Unicomp buckling spring users live in a universe without Windows keys.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 02:54:38 »
The win key has been very usefull ever since win7, possibly earlier.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 12:05:52 »
Non-Unicomp buckling spring users live in a universe without Windows keys.

LOL IKR, my boss is constantly pulling his hair out when he uses the bench space with the M on it. My reply? "Get 4 Unicomps (1 for each bench spot) and you won't have to deal with it"

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 08:02:12 »
I love windows 8 by far the best windows so far,
My only gripes are the left hand metro menu coming up when you swipe down in starcraft
and not being able to turn it off without CTRL ALT Delete
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline Johan

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 10:19:12 »
I guess its cool, it boots really fast and other stuff. I just haven't figured out how to turn the system off without logging out.
Uh, stuff.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 10:27:48 »
I guess its cool, it boots really fast and other stuff. I just haven't figured out how to turn the system off without logging out.

Right side widgets->settings->power

Offline Johan

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 10:51:48 »
Thank's, seems like there should be a shorter way though.
Uh, stuff.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 10:59:12 »
Agreed but their isnt you should have to go into settings to get to the power options.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 11:45:40 »
Agreed but their isnt you should have to go into settings to get to the power options.

I wish it were an option in the start menu itself, but this isn't that cumbersome.

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 12:24:24 »

I wish it were an option in the start menu itself, but this isn't that cumbersome.

You can also Ctrl Alt Del, then click the power icon in the lower right, and shutdown.  Still more cumbersome than it should be, but it's easier for me than going through the settings.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 12:27:45 »
what they should do is maybe put it in a menu thats one key-stroke away?

I heard that in demo builds they tried putting it in the start menu, but had to remove it becasue dev's got confused and would keep shutting down there PC's by accident.

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 12:38:58 »
I think another part of the equation is that Microsoft just doesn't want you to shutdown your computer as often... Windows 8 is really aimed at notebooks and tablets, and they've put a lot of effort into making systems wake from sleep and hibernation much more quickly, and with fewer problems that with previous OS's.  I think they're trying to push the idea "Why shutdown, when you can just going into standby, and restart from where you left off?"  I still prefer to shutdown when I'm not going to be using it for a while, or am throwing my laptop in a bag.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 12:54:47 »
I am warming up to the concept of upgrading, but am probably at least a year away from actually doing it.

Bloatware is my big bugaboo, so if 8 is leaner and cleaner than 7, that is a good thing. Faster is better.

I do hate the migration away from the desktop environment. For instance, to shut down in XP, it was simply Windows (or, for me, Control-Escape) + U + U and walk away.

Edit - Duh! Google it, fool. "Windows" then "Right Arrow" then "Enter" - even easier with the right pinkie doing the right arrow and numpad enter

An operation that requires a combination of keyboard and mouse has little value, dialogue boxes and other things that force you to type some and mouse click some are very annoying.

And my big clumsy fingers still have an inordinate amount of trouble with touch screens.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 December 2012, 20:13:55 by fohat.digs »