Author Topic: Shaving, Razors, etc. What you use?  (Read 38193 times)

Offline MeltingTeeth

Re: Shaving, Razors, etc. What you use?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:40:36 »
Braun Series 7 - great electric

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:42:01 »
Electric razors only work on thin, girly hair. Man grizzle, no. Sorry.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:28:42 »
I have to use the trimmer before I use the shaver part on my Norelco because my hair is usually so thick and manly. ;)

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 02:07:45 »
I went to the art of shaving a bunch before I realized how overpriced it all was. Then I found the reddit community for wicked edge and ended up getting 2 straight edge razors and a double edge. Love it! It's a Merkur double edge that I use mainly. I'm living in the middle east so a beard is required, but for the neck / cheek bones I use the Merkur.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 02:16:32 »
Happy customer plug. Move done most of my business with Phil at bullgoose shaving and he's always been very helpful.

I've been thinking about the plunge into Straights but still chicken that I'd make the bathroom look like a slasher movie.  that and the work of keeping it sharp.  But since I sometime have a few days growth of heavy beard when I shave now I've been wondering if it's a better tool for me now.

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 03:33:19 »
I went to the art of shaving a bunch before I realized how overpriced it all was. Then I found the reddit community for wicked edge and ended up getting 2 straight edge razors and a double edge. Love it! It's a Merkur double edge that I use mainly. I'm living in the middle east so a beard is required, but for the neck / cheek bones I use the Merkur.
link to reddit community?

edit: nvm, i think i found it. https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:13:28 »
link to reddit community?

edit: nvm, i think i found it. https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge

You beat me to it, that's the one. They also have a HUGE amount of info on the sidebar with soaps etc.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:21:30 »

Yes! I use a Merkur 38c as well. I love the soothing, relaxing feeling. And the shave is pretty incredible too.

What blades are you using?

Astra platinum. Got a 100 pack and they work really well. I think I'm gonna move up in sharpness once I run out. Probably some Feathers

Offline mougrim

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:24:23 »

Yes! I use a Merkur 38c as well. I love the soothing, relaxing feeling. And the shave is pretty incredible too.

Astra platinum. Got a 100 pack and they work really well. I think I'm gonna move up in sharpness once I run out. Probably some Feathers
Tried Astra today. Nice. So far one of the smoothest shaves I had. And pretty clean too. Not THE cleanest, but not bad.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:40:55 »

Heck yes. Do it! The Feather razor blade I shaved with just astounded me. The Gillette's I've used provided a marvelous shave as well. The best stuff they make is the double edge razor blades (I shaved with a Gillette Silver Blue blade tonight). I'm a bit bummed that I bought a 100 pack of Racers now, but I still enjoy the name and shave. As soon as I finish my last sampler (more shaves on this Gillette blade and then about 4 more blades including a Feather and Gillette 7 O'Clock), I'll use the Racer's up. I'll most likely replace them with Feathers or some Gillette blade.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline mougrim

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 10:58:40 »
My newest acquisition :) Vintage Gillette Tech from 40s/50s.

IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:20:49 »

Show Image

Nice. I shave with my late grandfather's Gillette Fat Boy every day.  Love it!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline mougrim

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:22:25 »

Show Image

Nice. I shave with my late grandfather's Gillette Fat Boy every day.  Love it!

It was told to me Fatboy was one of the finest razors Gillette made. Ever :)

Offline osi

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:33:16 »
Dang. You guys are fancy. I use the cheap 2 blade disposable razors and a quick run with the trimmer over the beard area. Normally, I can get 2 good uses out of each razor :D :D.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:42:20 »
Dang. You guys are fancy. I use the cheap 2 blade disposable razors and a quick run with the trimmer over the beard area. Normally, I can get 2 good uses out of each razor :D :D.
You should try DE razors. You can get a decend Gillette Tech on ebay for 20-30 bucks. Blades are cheap, and my dad gets about three weeks of shaving from one. Me - about week.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 10:27:18 »

You should try DE razors. You can get a decend Gillette Tech on ebay for 20-30 bucks. Blades are cheap, and my dad gets about three weeks of shaving from one. Me - about week.

Yes, what he said.  It is so much more of a pleasurable experience, and yet I never knew how cheap shaving could get until I started using a DE.  100 blades for like $9 I think.  Bonkers.
I'm back.

Offline Nalor

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 20:25:37 »
I tend to shave with a Red Tip Gillette DE razor with Derby Blades. Though I tend to rotate among hard soaps and creams for my shaves.

Derby blades can usually be found for a good price in many places.

Offline osi

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:52:15 »

Yes, what he said.  It is so much more of a pleasurable experience, and yet I never knew how cheap shaving could get until I started using a DE.  100 blades for like $9 I think.  Bonkers.

Very tempting now...... :X

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:52:13 »
Got this print from my GH secret Santa :cool:

I'm back.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 21:54:07 »

+1 I've been working my way through a box of Astra Platinum and they've been working great. Had a sample pack with Feathers in it before and enjoyed them too though.

I have some simple double-edge safety razor, can't remember the model. Suits me fine though, much better than disposables. I'm not crazy about shaving but it's nice to have something built well.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline notbrain

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 18:42:47 »

This vid has turned into an addiction to his vlog. Damnit, Internet!

Offline gain

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:07:24 »
Been using feathers for over a year now, tried other brands, Astra, Personna, Derby, Treet, nothing else springs to mind. But none have felt as comfy as a feather has with the hair I have.

I use a Merkur Solingen, it's alright, feathers aren't sitting well lately as one sides shaving far better than the other.. Or that's normal and I've been doing something wrong this entire time, definitely not ruling that one out :G

Oh also finishing up a block of geo f. trumper's rose shaving soap, love the smell.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:27:15 »
Been using feathers for over a year now, tried other brands, Astra, Personna, Derby, Treet, nothing else springs to mind. But none have felt as comfy as a feather has with the hair I have.

I use a Merkur Solingen, it's alright, feathers aren't sitting well lately as one sides shaving far better than the other.. Or that's normal and I've been doing something wrong this entire time, definitely not ruling that one out :G

Oh also finishing up a block of geo f. trumper's rose shaving soap, love the smell.

Welcome to geekhack!

A ton of people love feathers and praise them, but for me at least Astras in my Slim Adjustable are the best.

If you love that floral scent, check out Lavanille by Barrister and Mann. It is expensive but the ingredients and lather are worth the cost.

Offline gain

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 18:03:51 »
Welcome to geekhack!

A ton of people love feathers and praise them, but for me at least Astras in my Slim Adjustable are the best.

If you love that floral scent, check out Lavanille by Barrister and Mann. It is expensive but the ingredients and lather are worth the cost.

Thanks!

My techniques changed a lot over the past 2 years so I feel it's fair to dig up another sample pack and give it a crack. I remember Astras being a bit smooth so I'm a bit keen

Looks like I'll have to import the Lavanille, depends how much shipping bites me in the arse but I am curious. If I end up going through with it I'll probably snag a new brush too (helps justify the shipping cost as well).

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 19:17:51 »
Welcome to geekhack!

Thanks!

My techniques changed a lot over the past 2 years so I feel it's fair to dig up another sample pack and give it a crack. I remember Astras being a bit smooth so I'm a bit keen

Looks like I'll have to import the Lavanille, depends how much shipping bites me in the arse but I am curious. If I end up going through with it I'll probably snag a new brush too (helps justify the shipping cost as well).

What type of brush are you using?

I really like Barrister and Mann and I just got a sampler of Chisled Face soaps and they smell great but haven't had the chance to lather them.

Check out maggardrazors.com as they have a ton of shave soap, brushes, blades and razors.

Offline Blueblue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 05:48:57 »
I've gotten into DE and SE over the summer, quite addictive.

Using a vintage NOS Boker Red Injun, Gillette Fatboy and Slim.

My Brush is a simple Simpsons Berkeley in Best Badger.

Soaps : MLS Kraken + Aftershave Milk, MLS Panty Dropper, B&M Cheshire, B&M Fireside

Offline mougrim

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:21:29 »
Got myself a Gillette New Type razor. We'll see...

Offline mougrim

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:25:07 »

Soaps : MLS Kraken + Aftershave Milk, MLS Panty Dropper, B&M Cheshire, B&M Fireside

BTW, have you tried brushes from horsehair? Got myself one by Epsilon. It's nice. Softer than boar, but less so than a badger. Ideal for me :)

Offline Blueblue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 02:00:46 »

BTW, have you tried brushes from horsehair? Got myself one by Epsilon. It's nice. Softer than boar, but less so than a badger. Ideal for me :)

i've been meaning to try one from Vie-long, but the QC problems prevented me from buying them.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 03:00:09 »

i've been meaning to try one from Vie-long, but the QC problems prevented me from buying them.
Well, you may consider trying Epsilon. It's Spanish-made, and it's quality is superb.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 01:30:02 »
its funny how many interests overlap within a group... mech keyboards, fountain pens, wet shaving...

I've been wrapped up with the straight razor communities for a few years now. I have quite a few straights, soaps, brushes, etc. Love it but I also have a big beard so although i'm into restoring and using straights I only shave my neck and cheeks. I also have a gillette slim DE and a cheap synthetic brush for travel.
-Dana

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:12:13 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline Blueblue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 03:02:08 »
Well, you may consider trying Epsilon. It's Spanish-made, and it's quality is superb.

How is the scratchyness?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 03:40:11 »

How is the scratchyness?
Not scratchy - well, not like boar ones. As I said, for me it is an optimum between boar and badger.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:38:27 »
todays combo...

Thater 4292 by Dana Howe, on Flickr
-Dana

Offline mougrim

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:31:12 »
todays combo...
Show Image

Nice brush. Wooden handle?

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:00:24 »
I guess I'm not a part of yalls fancy single blade razors n stuff... But heck man, Dollar shave club is pretty awesome. For 6 dollars shipped monthly or bi-monthly, I always get a nice shave. Better than the dollar razors from the dollar store =\

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/Kevinrockskevin Sign up with my referral =3
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:02:13 by Bigpock »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:13:11 »

I really like Astras with my Merkur. iamtootallforthis was nice enough to send me a bunch of blades to try out but I find myself drifting back to Astras. They just really work for me.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:55:39 »

I really like Astras with my Merkur. iamtootallforthis was nice enough to send me a bunch of blades to try out but I find myself drifting back to Astras. They just really work for me.

Astras are my go to in my Gillette Slim Adjustable.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:23:43 »
todays combo...
Show Image

Nice brush. Wooden handle?

yup. its a Thäter in cocobolo
-Dana

Offline mougrim

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:17:33 »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 07:31:24 »
My plastic drugstore brush is falling apart, anybody have a good recommendation for something reasonable to replace it?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 10:54:03 »
My plastic drugstore brush is falling apart, anybody have a good recommendation for something reasonable to replace it?

Order something from maggardrazors.com

Boar brushes are great and cheap. The synthetic brushes are solid and the badger are great if you want a little step up.

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:19:14 »
Am I the only one to find that shaving is annoying ?  ;D Currently I can't have what I call a proper "beard", if I let my beard grow it will only be on some part on my face so it's really ugly and I need to shave it everytime it grows. Since I'm extremely lazy I find shaving is annoying  :'( Hoping someone here understands me.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:31:34 »
Am I the only one to find that shaving is annoying ?  ;D Currently I can't have what I call a proper "beard", if I let my beard grow it will only be on some part on my face so it's really ugly and I need to shave it everytime it grows. Since I'm extremely lazy I find shaving is annoying  :'( Hoping someone here understands me.
I understand you. For the great part of my life I thought shaving is annoying and boring. Only when I got introduced to classical wet shaving I found all this - lathering, shaving, etc - could be fun.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:36:48 »
I understand you. For the great part of my life I thought shaving is annoying and boring. Only when I got introduced to classical wet shaving I found all this - lathering, shaving, etc - could be fun.

I'm with you on that! So relaxing and enjoyable.

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:37:44 »
I have to wait some years to have a "full beard" will see if shaving will become a fun activity to me  ;D

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
-Dana

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:23:35 »
I have to wait some years to have a "full beard" will see if shaving will become a fun activity to me  ;D

I hope thats not true. If so, don't despair as you are probably evolutionally advanced from the rest of us hairy folk.

I occasionally see these poor guys that have made an attempt at the current fashion trend of 'lumbersexual' and no one informed them that if you cant grow a full beard in a month, you probably have a pretty sad, thin, looking beard. Like this unlucky guy, he should just shave:
-Dana

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:19:34 »
Why did you guys let this thread get so stale?

I got an email from West Coast Shaving that they now have their own branded DE razors.  They actually look pretty nice.  What do you guys think?
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Safety-Razors_c_8.html?Attribs=280&
I'm back.