Author Topic: Uniform Cylindricals?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Moqsu

Uniform Cylindricals?
« on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 10:20:25 »
Do such a thing as non-spherical uniform keycaps exist?  I would like to see something like a "uniform Cherry' profile for my Dactyl.  I am not unhappy, per se, with uniform R3 SA or XDA, but I tried out a Keyboardio recently and the cynlindrical style keycaps were intriguing.

I have considered trying something like all R1 or R2 DCS from Signature Plastics, but those are 1 and 3 degree tilt, and if there is a 0 degree cylindrical keycap out there, I would like to try that.  Any suggestions?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Uniform Cylindricals?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 15:07:22 »
Cherry MX Board 2.0 and Cherry MX Board 3.0 both has uniform cylindrical keycaps.  I quite like them to be honest but it's pain in the butt to source them aside from buying the boards.  It also has non standard caps lock key stem location.

They are from the Devlin L series keycaps.

https://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html

I think someone tried to see if we can buy directly from them but either the MOQ was too high or some other issues.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 15:50:31 »
I've tried uniform profile keycaps, those of cherry 3.0, but after using sculpted profiles, I can say that the qwerty row in uniform profile requires too much movement, it's too far.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:21:16 by _GMK_ »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 18:58:52 »
The caps on the "MX-Board 2.0" (G80-3800) and "MX-Board 3.0" (G80-3850) are not perfectly 0 degrees, but a little less than the home row of other cylindrical profiles. It is only that reduction in angle that makes them the lowest-profile Cherry MX-compatible keycaps: because the front edge is lower. The back edge is as low as the back edge of "Cherry profile".

Note that if you use lower-profile keycaps on such a highly contoured keyboard such as the Dactyl, the keys' tops will be farther apart on the vertical than with high-profile SA keycaps.

I would go with R2 DCS. I think that a little bit of forward angle is not that bad, actually. I think you'd want to be able to feel a little bit of front edge.
Otherwise, I think that top-row "Cherry profile" could be closer to 0° and they are slightly higher, but they could be more difficult to source. (I myself got a bunch blank ones, once... but that was because a member made a special order for them, got a high Minimum Order Quantity and had to sell the spares to be able to make the order)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 19:11:27 by Findecanor »