Author Topic: Quick Question: Tai-Hao Key Caps  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Band1t

Quick Question: Tai-Hao Key Caps
« on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 08:59:22 »
Hey all, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on Tai-Hao keycaps?

I found a keycap set that I really on MechanicalKeyboards.com, but after looking at some reviews for the set as well as other similar sets, I saw that there were definitely some people who were less than happy with at least one aspect of their sets. I was wondering if Tai-Hao was a good brand and what the general consensus on their products was.

Thanks!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Quick Question: Tai-Hao Key Caps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 04:15:08 »
They aren't a premium brand but they are cheap and generally well regarded, have a search and you'll find lots of thoughts on them :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 14:46:54 »
Tai-Hao profile is similar to OEM
Tai-Hao thickness is similar to DCS

They feel cheap and look just okay compared to sets 5x their price. But compared to others in the same price range, they're great.

Overall it's great value for the price. Cheapest doubleshots you'll find. The material itself has a bit of a satin finish that I'm not a fan of. But for the price it's great.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 00:42:25 »
What are you upgrading from? They're better than the Filco OEM keycaps that came with my keyboard. But they will feel thin and hollow compared with GMK, ePBT, KAT, etc...

Some of their sets work very well from an aesthetic standpoint. So if there's one you like, it's affordable, and fits your keycaps, you might as well pick it up. They're usually pretty consistent, but sometimes the stems are twisted [one Caps Lock was like that].

Offline jamster

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 01:12:30 »
I am halfway through the process of replacing a recently installed GMK set with the previous Tai Hao set on one of my keyboards.

Turns out that on my switches (65g Ergo Clear) having thinner and slightly lighter keycaps is better than heavier caps.

Visually, I've always been happy with the Tai Hao set. It's got a bit of shine on the spacebar and maybe some homerow keys which has never bothered me. The GMK set looks crisper, but I only switched to it because I was bored and thought it was a bit silly having an expensive set sitting around doing nothing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 01:21:16 by jamster »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 16:49:37 »
Tai Hao keycaps are the one brand that have never failed to fit on any keyboard I've had, just because they're so thin.  If they had some more attractive colorways, I'd buy more of them, but a lot of them are just weird.