Author Topic: Kiibohd 13 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2015/04/25  (Read 20292 times)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Kiibohd 13 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2015/04/25
« on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:47:55 »
Ok, first off. Really sorry everyone, I wanted to post this much sooner but I've been super busy with this Infinity ErgoDox thing and it took a while to confirm the location.

Also, second apology, moving the date of the meetup to the 25th (wasn't able to get the space we wanted on the 18th).

Without further a do, the next meetup is on
April 25th 2015 @ 1 PM
@
GitHub HQ
88 Colin P. Kelly Jr Street
San Francisco, CA
NORTH AMERICA

Thanks a lot nuclearsandwich for hosting us again  :thumb:
We also have a special Deskthority guest who will be showing up all the way from the EU  :D

Caltrain is pretty convenient as well as BART. I'd recommend not driving in SF unless you give yourself extra time to park...

Also, I'm going to setup a mailing list over the next week or so. I've found regulars don't always see the forum threads.
Will be posting a link to the signup in this thread (you might get added if I already have your email for whatever reason).

Please RSVP if you plan to attend. There will be food and various beverages courtesy of GitHub.

(GeekHack mod, please sticky this topic)

RSVP'd
- HaaTa + 1
- Input Nirvana
- jacobolus
- jwaz
- kprav33n
- lekashman + 2?
- nai_caulus
- obra
- radio_killah
- retrochick
- rsadek
- sadbox
- Smasher816 + 3
- Sniping
- murium + 1
- jalaj + 1

There's bike storage! Just come to the front door and you'll be dealt with.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 11:34:27 by HaaTa »
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
Re: Kiibohd 13 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2015/04/25
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:07:45 »
I'll be there.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:35:57 »
Awesome!! I'm going!
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:14:32 »
Is it murium?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:22:53 »
I'll be there. Not missing it this time. :P

Judging by the location I won't be bringing a board, the one I'd want to bring is my Model F and that's just too damn far from BART, and while I'd be OK with taking it on BART, I'm not OK with taking it on MUNI or walking that far with a ten pound keyboard. XD
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 14:41:37 »
I'll be there, but be forewarned, I now wear brass knuckles 24/7 since I work/live in the city.

Word of advice: Don't sneak up on me.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:42:45 »
Finally a meetup I can make! I also need to give Steven back his smash bros wii controller hub.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:29:06 »
I'll be there. Might be bringing some other computer majors from the dorm.

They all have their one mechanical keyboard so it will be nice to let them try some other switch types and layouts. Also, github is a cool place to tour if nuclearsandwich is up for it again.

Offline kprav33n

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 00:51:39 »
I'll be there. I'm very eager to hear more about Infinity Ergodox!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:17:37 »
@Haata are we having a theme for this upcoming one or are we just doing the more casual hang out?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 13:34:27 »
Good question. I didn't have anything planned (will bring interesting keyboards as usual). I've been busy with the Infinity ErgoDox, might have something related to that at the meetup (prototypes are pretty fragile right now, so no guarantees).
Kiibohd

Offline Dr.Empyrean

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:20:17 »
Hey guys just found out about this. How long do these meeting go for? And how many go?  I would really like to attend but I go to San Jose State, and it would take me about 2 hours to get there, and I would have to get my weekend shift covered at my job. Trying to figure out if this would be something that would be worth my time. Also are these at GitHub HQ every meeting?

Thanks for the help!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:43:25 »
Hey guys just found out about this. How long do these meeting go for? And how many go?  I would really like to attend but I go to San Jose State, and it would take me about 2 hours to get there, and I would have to get my weekend shift covered at my job. Trying to figure out if this would be something that would be worth my time. Also are these at GitHub HQ every meeting?

Thanks for the help!

So we normally meet up at 1pm and it goes usually until like 6 or 7. They meet ups are not always at GitHub but last time it was it was a great experience and last until like 7 and few of us all took the Caltrain back together. I definitely think it would be worth your time. Especially since GitHub is one of the coolest offices I've ever seen. But last time we had almost 15 people? Maybe more?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:43:43 »
I'd say it usually runs till at least 5 PM. And no, these aren't usually at GitHub. I like to change up the location so it's not so boring and makes it less stressful for whoever's hosting us.
I live in downtown San Jose so I feel your pain (most likely won't have any room for a ride unfortunately).
Kiibohd

Offline Dr.Empyrean

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 18:15:17 »
I'd say it usually runs till at least 5 PM. And no, these aren't usually at GitHub. I like to change up the location so it's not so boring and makes it less stressful for whoever's hosting us.
I live in downtown San Jose so I feel your pain (most likely won't have any room for a ride unfortunately).

Thanks for the help!

So we normally meet up at 1pm and it goes usually until like 6 or 7. They meet ups are not always at GitHub but last time it was it was a great experience and last until like 7 and few of us all took the Caltrain back together. I definitely think it would be worth your time. Especially since GitHub is one of the coolest offices I've ever seen. But last time we had almost 15 people? Maybe more?

Thanks for the replies! I really wanted to see the Github HQ, but I just realized I have a college standardized test on the 25th. Looks like I will have to try to attend next month! Really let down I cannot make it this month.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 20:19:17 »

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies! I really wanted to see the Github HQ, but I just realized I have a college standardized test on the 25th. Looks like I will have to try to attend next month! Really let down I cannot make it this month.

BOOOOOOO!!!  >:D GitHub is so awesome. YOU SHOULD COME ANYWAY.

Offline Dr.Empyrean

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 22:19:27 »

Thanks for the help!

BOOOOOOO!!!  >:D GitHub is so awesome. YOU SHOULD COME ANYWAY.

Any chance it will be there again anytime soon?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 22:45:36 »
No idea. At least 5-6 months at the absolute soonest.
Kiibohd

Offline Dr.Empyrean

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 23:15:54 »
So long from now! Im so let down, but I will still be around when that time comes!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:44:26 »
I would love to go! Anyone coming from the East Bay? Maybe we can meet up beforehand and take BART?

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 17:19:35 »
Oh, hey, request, can someone bring a board with Ergo Clears or MX Greens? I haven't gotten to feel ErgoClears and I just have an MX Green keychain.
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 18:33:24 »
I would love to go! Anyone coming from the East Bay? Maybe we can meet up beforehand and take BART?

For sure, I usually take BART from downtown Oakland.

Oh, hey, request, can someone bring a board with Ergo Clears or MX Greens? I haven't gotten to feel ErgoClears and I just have an MX Green keychain.

I just gave my buddy an MX Green board, I'll see if I can convince him to come through.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:39:13 »

I'm mad busy right now. I'm going, or rather, y'all's coming to me. I can have MX greens and ergo clears there.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 00:24:53 »
Any type of Alps-mount switches anyone wants to try? I was thinking of bringing at least an amber Omron board and a KPT board.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 02:44:42 »
Any type of Alps-mount switches anyone wants to try? I was thinking of bringing at least an amber Omron board and a KPT board.

That would be awesome. I'm trying to find my ideal switch...so the more Alps the better!

I can bring the v60 mini w/ matia click switches. I also have the tactile pro and a board w/ quiet switches I can bring.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 03:17:55 »
That would be awesome. I'm trying to find my ideal switch...so the more Alps the better!
Well, you have to be more specific than “the more the better”; there are 15-20 types of complicated Alps switches, plus many clones and other Alps-mount switches (both ones made by Alps and ones made by others). cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64803

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 10:49:55 »
Well, you have to be more specific than “the more the better”; there are 15-20 types of complicated Alps switches, plus many clones and other Alps-mount switches (both ones made by Alps and ones made by others). cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64803

Got any of those blue ones people rave about?

Nuclearsandwich: Cool. :3

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:46:30 »
Well, you have to be more specific than �the more the better�; there are 15-20 types of complicated Alps switches, plus many clones and other Alps-mount switches (both ones made by Alps and ones made by others). cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64803

Got any of those blue ones people rave about?

Nuclearsandwich: Cool. :3

I can bring a couple Blue Alps boards. If there is one you'd specically like to play with let me know (NCR, Lazer, Leading Edge and Omnikey)

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 16:17:19 »

Wow, that's quite a collection. I'm eager to try some of the ones that are readily available (white, blue, orange, salmon) on old boards. If there's one you think is most tactile, or somehow a favorite I'd love to try it out.

The sampler board you describe in the linked thread is a great idea.  :thumb:
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 02:02:17 »

I can bring a board with lubed ergo clears on it! Also, looking to purchase a 60% case if anyone's got one for sale :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 10:51:40 »
If you have dietary preferences (vegan, lactose intolerance, gluten free, hate asparagus, and so forth) please PM me so I can make sure the food we get is awesome and that you can eat it.

We had pizza last time, but I'm thinking that sandwiches or Thai or some other thing might be more interesting. That said, if pizza is what folks want, I'm more than happy to do the obvious.

So far on the RSVP list I've got

- nuclearsandwich + 1
- HaaTa + 1
- Input Nirvana + 1
- jacobolus
- jalaj + 1
- jludwig
- jwaz
- kprav33n
- lekashman + 2?
- nai_calus
- obra
- radio_killah
- ramuklanuk
- retrochick
- rsadek + 3
- sadbox
- Smasher816 + 3
- Sniping
- murium + 1

I'm jazzed to see y'all again and meet those of you I haven't had the pleasure to yet! If you have any questions or problems before, during, or after Feel free to PM me.

I'll send out a PM with my day-off contact info on Friday when the list is closer to final.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 11:12:45 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:30:49 »
murium and his brother will be attending.
Also, I think Smasher816 will be bringing a couple of people.

I also extended an invitation to quite a few people not on GeekHack (or DT), but I haven't really gotten any confirmations yet. Guess we'll see what happens...
Kiibohd

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:13:11 »
murium and his brother will be attending.
Also, I think Smasher816 will be bringing a couple of people.

I also extended an invitation to quite a few people not on GeekHack (or DT), but I haven't really gotten any confirmations yet. Guess we'll see what happens...

That's good info. If you've got extra friends coming they are absolutely welcome but please let me know how many extra you are (i.e. nuclearsandwich + 3) and get dietary preferences from your people and pass them along.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 15:21:46 »
I'll be attending again. Is anyone still interested in seeing my Lightsaver? I've brought it a million times before so I probably won't bring it unless someone is interested.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 16:48:02 »
I'll be attending again. Is anyone still interested in seeing my Lightsaver? I've brought it a million times before so I probably won't bring it unless someone is interested.

Haha. That thing is a pain to bring around I am sure. I will be bringing my Viper and Octagon for people to see. But your LS is always evolving so its always good to see. Up to you I guess  :p

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 19:07:17 »

For sure, I usually take BART from downtown Oakland.

I just gave my buddy an MX Green board, I'll see if I can convince him to come through.

Cool! Yeah I was planning on taking the 19th st. Bart station :)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 19:13:55 »
If you have dietary preferences (vegan, lactose intolerance, gluten free, hate asparagus, and so forth) please PM me so I can make sure the food we get is awesome and that you can eat it.

We had pizza last time, but I'm thinking that sandwiches or Thai or some other thing might be more interesting. That said, if pizza is what folks want, I'm more than happy to do the obvious.

So far on the RSVP list I've got

- HaaTa
- Input Nirvana
- jacobolus
- jwaz
- kprav33n
- nai_caulus
- obra
- radio_killah
- retrochick
- rsadek
- Smasher816

I'm jazzed to see y'all again and meet those of you I haven't had the pleasure to yet! If you have any questions or problems before, during, or after Feel free to PM me.

I'll send out a PM with my day-off contact info on Friday when the list is closer to final.

You are awesome for asking about dietary restrictions :). Sent you a PM. Also, is there bike parking inside the building by any chance? I'm coming from the East Bay and was going to bike to Bart. If not no worries at all.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:07:30 »
Yeah, there's a great bike room inside. I think I might be getting in on the bike hype as well.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:17:15 »
Yeah, there's a great bike room inside. I think I might be getting in on the bike hype as well.

Sniping is not wrong.  Indoor bike room is only accessible to employees. Me or our security staff can let you in and out of it. When you arrive, you'll need to come to the main entrance at 88 Colin P Kelly, then let the whoever's at the front (usually me but sometimes our security staff if I'm doing something else for the meetup) that you have a bike you'd like to park and they'll send you around to an entrance on Brannan St.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:40:54 »
Got confirmation on a friend. Put me down for +1
Kiibohd

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:43:25 »
Got confirmation on a friend. Put me down for +1

Done. Feel free to scoop up anything I say into the top post. Unless it's about ducks. I don't want anyone to know about my secret love of ducks.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:46:46 »
Also, looking to purchase a 60% case if anyone's got one for sale :)

I can bring a Poker II (Cherry MX Brown) or a KBParadise V6000MTS (Matias Clicky) for you to try. I'm fine selling either as they're mostly for loaning to folks.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:56:37 »
Keyboards I'm bringing. It's tough because jacobolus has much better representatives of the stuff I tend to like

- Xerox Docutech 135 (Weird pine green tactile Alps)
- WASD Code keyboard with MX Green + maybe O-rings
- CM Storm Novatouch w/ SA keycaps
- Atreus keyboard
- GON Mobik (If I manage to finish it)

and one of my "heavy" boards

Kingsaver w/ salmon tactile Alps
Kingsaver w/ blue clicky Alps
Orion w/ 70g Cherry MX Clear
Trik XT w/ vintage MX Clear and a left-side number pad (full size :O)

Which heavy thing should I bring?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 03:33:59 »
Nice. What kind of shape is it in? I bought two from various sources, one in bad condition, and the other in atrocious condition. :-)

Everyone should see the funky overengineered design of the feet on this keyboard.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 11:11:35 »
Keyboards I'm bringing. It's tough because jacobolus has much better representatives of the stuff I tend to like

- WASD Code keyboard with MX Green + maybe O-rings
- CM Storm Novatouch w/ SA keycaps
- Atreus keyboard
- GON Mobik (If I manage to finish it)

and one of my "heavy" boards

Kingsaver w/ salmon tactile Alps
Kingsaver w/ blue clicky Alps
Orion w/ 70g Cherry MX Clear
Trik XT w/ vintage MX Clear and a left-side number pad (full size :O)

Which heavy thing should I bring?

Dang Steven. How about your bring all of them  :p But I vote for one of the king savers.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 11:32:41 »
Dang Steven. How about your bring all of them  :p But I vote for one of the king savers.

No way, that's like 25 kilo of keyboards. I already have to ferry these all up to HQ over the course of this week and then ferry them back down next week.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 11:45:59 »
IDK WHAT HAPPENED HERE
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 11:47:40 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 12:01:20 »

I can bring a Poker II (Cherry MX Brown) or a KBParadise V6000MTS (Matias Clicky) for you to try. I'm fine selling either as they're mostly for loaning to folks.
I was looking more for a 60% case than a board (tex, pexon, etc), however please bring the Matias Clicky - interested in trying it  ^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 12:16:48 »
I wish  I could go to this. Github is so much fun and I need to give jwaz **** in person. It's just not the same if it's not IRL.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 12:58:57 »

I was looking more for a 60% case than a board (tex, pexon, etc), however please bring the Matias Clicky - interested in trying it  ^-^

Wow I can totally read. Sorry.