Author Topic: Kiibohd 13 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2015/04/25  (Read 20364 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: Kiibohd 13 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2015/04/25
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:12:25 »
I think you forgot to add sniping to the RSVP list.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:23:12 »
I think you forgot to add sniping to the RSVP list.

Thanks. Rectified.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:57:31 »
Keyboards I'm bringing. It's tough because jacobolus has much better representatives of the stuff I tend to like

- Xerox Docutech 135 (Weird pine green tactile Alps)
- WASD Code keyboard with MX Green + maybe O-rings
- CM Storm Novatouch w/ SA keycaps
- Atreus keyboard
- GON Mobik (If I manage to finish it)

and one of my "heavy" boards

Kingsaver w/ salmon tactile Alps
Kingsaver w/ blue clicky Alps
Orion w/ 70g Cherry MX Clear
Trik XT w/ vintage MX Clear and a left-side number pad (full size :O)

Which heavy thing should I bring?

Wow, that is awesome. For the heavy, I'd love to try either of the Alps. The 70g clears are intriguing also....
i'll vote: 1)  kingsaver w/ salmon Alps.
             2) orion w/ 70g(!!!) clears
             3) kingsaver w/ blue alps
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:59:19 »
I'll be attending again. Is anyone still interested in seeing my Lightsaver? I've brought it a million times before so I probably won't bring it unless someone is interested.
I've never seen one; been wondering what they hype is about. nuclearsandwich might (??) bring one, but if not, I would love to check it out. Or both, you know, for comparison :)

-R
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:58:46 »
I'll be attending again. Is anyone still interested in seeing my Lightsaver? I've brought it a million times before so I probably won't bring it unless someone is interested.
I've never seen one; been wondering what they hype is about. nuclearsandwich might (??) bring one, but if not, I would love to check it out. Or both, you know, for comparison :)

-R

I haven't built either of my lightsavers since I harvested stabilizers for repair of other projects 😭

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 18:22:33 »

-R

I haven't built either of my lightsavers since I harvested stabilizers for repair of other projects 😭

Wait you have plural Lightsavers?  :confused: you make me so jealous..

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 11:32:03 »
Bahn Mi with pork and tofu options is what our catering service has on for Saturday. If anyone has an issue with that let me know via PM but since going with that is the easiest way to get GitHub to sponsor the food, I'm going to say it'll work based on our currently reported constraints  :thumb:

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 15:22:57 »

-R

Do you need another set of stabs? I have an extra set.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:04:42 »
Bahn Mi with pork and tofu options is what our catering service has on for Saturday. If anyone has an issue with that let me know via PM but since going with that is the easiest way to get GitHub to sponsor the food, I'm going to say it'll work based on our currently reported constraints  :thumb:

No complaints here, love me some Bahn Mi. Thanks, Sammich!

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 17:44:38 »
/
Wow :eek:, this sounds *amazing*. Too awesome. Have I mentioned how excited I am about the meetup?! :D

Re keyboards; if someone has a Topre board to bring, I'd love to try it out.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:13:01 »
/
Wow :eek:, this sounds *amazing*. Too awesome. Have I mentioned how excited I am about the meetup?! :D

I can bring my stock HHKB. I know smasher also has one.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:34:45 »
/

I'll have the novatouch there for sure as well. Maybe lekashman can bring a Royal Kludge topre clone so we can feel the difference between it and the novatouch.

I've got SA profile caps on the novatouch. Maybe I'll set a novatouch and kludge side by side with the same (not stock) keycaps so they can be compared.

I don't have enough GMK to cover both. I could put some Tai Hao doubleshots on both but they're pretty thin as well.

Hmmm

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:37:23 »

I can bring my krytoxed Type-S as well.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:06:43 »
I'll bring one of the Noppoo Topre clones.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:11:35 »
So the demo theme will be TRY ALL THE CUP RUBBER

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:15:13 »
HaaTa I thought I saw jacobolus mention it but now I can't find it. Is the Marquardt butterfly board on your request list for this meetup? I can't wait til you have enough free time to replicate that switch for me  ;D ;D ;D

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:26:09 »
I've been requested to bring *a lot* of keyboards. So guess I'll add them to list :D

I'll bring a bunch of the "classic" famous keyboards from my collection as well. Some new stuff to show off as well.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:52:18 »
Our list of keyboards keeps growing!  :thumb:

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 20:27:13 »

Is it spicy/does it have cilantro? (And if so is it due to sauce that it can be made without/can cilantro be left off?) Spicy isn't a total no-go, but it depends on how spicy, and I am one of the many people for whom cilantro smells and tastes like soap. XD; (Just asking because it sounds like it's one of those things where there's exactly one variety outside the meat type, and if it's super-spicy and has cilantro in an integral part I'll need to eat beforehand. XD)
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 22:41:43 »
I'll bet they can make you a mild one. w/ bahn mi it's usually easy to remove cilantro/jalapeños. You can give them to me :)
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 00:21:32 »
I'll bet they can make you a mild one. w/ bahn mi it's usually easy to remove cilantro/jalapeños. You can give them to me :)

Ah, if it's already on there it's already too late, since it's apparently some kind of sandwich and those are always pre-made. XD Cilantro does not come out, rofl. (I've never had Vietnamese anything, my family tends towards Chinese/Japanese/Thai, so that's why I ask about it.) I'll just plan on eating in Dublin/Pleasanton beforehand, nbd, and if it turns out edible, great, if not I already had food rofl.
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 01:40:47 »

Is it spicy/does it have cilantro? (And if so is it due to sauce that it can be made without/can cilantro be left off?) Spicy isn't a total no-go, but it depends on how spicy, and I am one of the many people for whom cilantro smells and tastes like soap. XD; (Just asking because it sounds like it's one of those things where there's exactly one variety outside the meat type, and if it's super-spicy and has cilantro in an integral part I'll need to eat beforehand. XD)

I'll double check. Worst case scenario I'll make you a sandwich from our kitchen or get you one from down the way. For the record 🚫cilantro is one of the reasons I requested dietary preferences rather than restrictions. I don't just want to provide food folks can eat, I want to make sure it's stuff you want to eat so it's totally fine and thanks for letting me know!

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 06:48:50 »
I'll double check. Worst case scenario I'll make you a sandwich from our kitchen or get you one from down the way. For the record 🚫cilantro is one of the reasons I requested dietary preferences rather than restrictions. I don't just want to provide food folks can eat, I want to make sure it's stuff you want to eat so it's totally fine and thanks for letting me know!

Haha, don't worry too much about it, don't want to be a hassle. It's one of those things I forget about until it potentially comes up because cilantro simply fails to exist in my life due to having the genetic variant against it. XD

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 10:18:37 »
I'll be there
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 10:23:31 »
Screw it.  I'm moving to the Bay Area.  Somebody hook me up with a job and spare room.

My car goes to the first person in the Midwest that gives me $1500 cash.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline lekashman

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 13:19:43 »
I'll bring a bunch of stuff. I've invited anyone at Massdrop who actually wants to see how keyboard people do things to, so we shall see who shows up!

I'm planning on bringing the following.

Royal Kludge, Novatouch, Infinity 60%, Ergodox, Varmilo VA-87, PBT Color Rings, and anything else anyone requests.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 13:28:04 »
Screw it.  I'm moving to the Bay Area.  Somebody hook me up with a job and spare room.

https://jobs.github.com/positions/bf6cca02-d2fa-11e2-80d6-64ea2ef33dde

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 13:40:12 »
Also today I brought my KBParadise V6000MTS (clicky Matias 60%) and KMAC with ergo clear MX to the office. Friday I'll bring the Docutech, Salmon Kingsaver, and Atreus. I forgot the Mobik needs a very peculiar surface mount LED assembly as well as all the resistors and diode work done so there's no way I'll finish it before Saturday. Bummer!

lekashman since you're doing the Triumph Adler buy, do you have any GMK kits you can bring to put on the Novatouch and Royal Kludge?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:38:30 »

https://jobs.github.com/positions/bf6cca02-d2fa-11e2-80d6-64ea2ef33dde

I know next to nothing about IT.  But thanks.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline the aether

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:04:56 »
Hey guys, I'd love to attend if it isn't too late to join! Since someone asked for Topre, I can bring a 55g uniform Realforce 87U. I can also bring my KUL ES-87 with MX reds, Signature Plastics G20 keys, and o-rings. Excited to try out some new switches :D

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:09:07 »
Yeah, this looks like a great meetup to introduce some friends to the area. Lots of people and boards :thumb:

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 19:26:43 »
Hey guys, I'd love to attend if it isn't too late to join! Since someone asked for Topre, I can bring a 55g uniform Realforce 87U. I can also bring my KUL ES-87 with MX reds, Signature Plastics G20 keys, and o-rings. Excited to try out some new switches :D

Perfect. I was just going to ask if anyone could bring a 55g Topre board. I want to see how it differs from the stock HHKB 45g.

I wonder if anyone has made a HHKB Type S with 55g domes and Novatouch stems. How crazy would that be... Maybe one day...

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 20:46:00 »

Perfect. I was just going to ask if anyone could bring a 55g Topre board. I want to see how it differs from the stock HHKB 45g.

I wonder if anyone has made a HHKB Type S with 55g domes and Novatouch stems. How crazy would that be... Maybe one day...

A few people have. It's pretty expensive so only the truly "crazy" have done it. I don't know anyone in the area who has one.

Offline the aether

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 21:10:10 »

A few people have. It's pretty expensive so only the truly "crazy" have done it. I don't know anyone in the area who has one.

Also, proper silenced Topre sliders are slimmer than normal ones to compensate for the extra padding provided by the silencing ring. The Novatouch sliders aren't properly slimmed down to accept silencing rings and thus using them would result in a loss of travel, so you might have a "less perfect" typing experience. I have no idea if using Novatouch sliders would actually be noticeably better or worse than using Type-S sliders in reality; some people like less travel (and do things like put o-rings on their Cherry switches).

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:02:47 »
Can anyone bring a HHKB w/ Japanese layout? The bottom row w/ tiny spacebar seems awesome. Plus extra mods == :)
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline the aether

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:14:41 »

Also, proper silenced Topre sliders are slimmer than normal ones to compensate for the extra padding provided by the silencing ring. The Novatouch sliders aren't properly slimmed down to accept silencing rings and thus using them would result in a loss of travel, so you might have a "less perfect" typing experience. I have no idea if using Novatouch sliders would actually be noticeably better or worse than using Type-S sliders in reality; some people like less travel (and do things like put o-rings on their Cherry switches).

Oops, just realized that I'm wrong as the Type-S intentionally designed with shortened travel and uses sliders with a normal thickness (read description):
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Silent_Topre_-_Slider_Comparison.jpg
So sounds like Novatouch sliders would be perfect for a Type-S ;)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 00:19:53 »
A last minute trip to Tahoe is happening, so I'm super sad to miss this meetup! How frequent are they? I would've loved to meet everyone and check out the boards :(. And Github sounds like a cool space! Maybe one day I'll work there as a Python dev :).

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 00:21:09 »
A last minute trip to Tahoe is happening, so I'm super sad to miss this meetup! How frequent are they? I would've loved to meet everyone and check out the boards :(. And Github sounds like a cool space! Maybe one day I'll work there as a Python dev :).

It says monthly in the title  :blank: lol although it seems like we will have a pretty good showing this time around I am sure it won't be the last. Don't worry I am sure nuclearsandwich will be able to host us again later.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 00:24:20 »
Meetups are every month. Not every time is Github though (Massdrop has been pretty popular this year).

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 01:25:11 »

It says monthly in the title  :blank: lol although it seems like we will have a pretty good showing this time around I am sure it won't be the last. Don't worry I am sure nuclearsandwich will be able to host us again later.

Meetups are every month. Not every time is Github though (Massdrop has been pretty popular this year).
:blank: yes thanks for the clarification. I just thought the term 'monthly' was used loosely, ha. Well, hopefully I can attend the May meetup! Have fun everybody! Post pics  ^-^

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 01:30:58 »

:blank: yes thanks for the clarification. I just thought the term 'monthly' was used loosely, ha. Well, hopefully I can attend the May meetup! Have fun everybody! Post pics  ^-^

I'd like to say "bummer", but you're going to Tahoe sooooooo. Next time! GitHub could host more frequently, though we'd probably only sponsor lunch every other time if we did. Most of the issue is that I travel a lot and won't always be around to host, which unless I can fool another GitHubber into this gig.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:48:10 »
Just some thoughts:

- Will anyone be bringing a camera? It would be cool to document all the keyboards that come through!
- I saw in one of the other meet up threads they had little cards explaining what each board was, maybe we should do something similiar?
- Nametags. Nametags. Nametags. I'm sorry but I have a terrible memory for names  :p Also it is hard to keep track of usernames since we all know of each other via our geekhack names.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 11:33:37 »
jalaj and 1 friend will also be attending.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:04:08 »
Just some thoughts:

- Will anyone be bringing a camera? It would be cool to document all the keyboards that come through!
- I saw in one of the other meet up threads they had little cards explaining what each board was, maybe we should do something similiar?
- Nametags. Nametags. Nametags. I'm sorry but I have a terrible memory for names  :p Also it is hard to keep track of usernames since we all know of each other via our geekhack names.

I think we have nametags, you can put your preferred name or handle or neither. I'm not about forcing people to ID. I used to bring index cards to ID my boards but stopped when I ran out of the packet of index cards I bought in midde school. I could probably find some to bring so people can write about their boards.

Offline jludwig

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:23:28 »
I will be there! Hopefully I didn't RSVP too late... :-\

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:34:31 »
I will be there! Hopefully I didn't RSVP too late... :-\

You are welcome for sure. I'll contact the caterers and see if it's possible to bump the order.

For sanity's sake and so not to tax my people I'm going to say anyone woh wants to RSVP after now should eat lunch beforehand. <3

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:40:06 »

Oh, and I can bring a Nikon D70s if someone wants to shoot photos but I will want to focus on hosting. I've got a 35mm macro lens and the excellent 35-70mm kit lens. If someone wants to be photo master I'll bring it but I'm not unless someone steps up and wants to use it.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 16:53:26 »
Was able to get the catering order bumped and included a few extra for late RSVPs.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:20:27 »
By the way, it sounds like Dan Odell, who used to design ergonomic keyboards &c. for Microsoft and now works for Synaptics, is going to make it. Good thing you bumped the catering order a bit.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 23:26:18 »
I forgot my HHKB at work...  :blank: Damn lol Also seems like we will have a good crowd as well as a lot of new faces. See you guys tomorrow. I am conflicted on the weather though. It says it might rain.