Author Topic: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (GB live now on CannonKeys!)  (Read 45930 times)

Offline x86ect

Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update 5: PCB has arrived!)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:16:53 »
What's the width from the pen rail to the edge?
Thanks, in advance.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 20:21:38 »
What's the width from the pen rail to the edge?
Thanks, in advance.

Do you mean from the pen rail to the back edge of the case as opposed to the left and the right sides? From the pen rail to the back of the case it's just a hair over 10.5mm. It's just enough to actually hold a pen. There's a picture a few posts back.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 02:24:59 »
From the pen rail to the back of the case it's just a hair over 10.5mm.

That's the measurement I was looking for. Thank you.  :thumb:

Offline stillzman

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 17:08:20 »
Any idea when the GB will start?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 18:53:32 »
Any idea when the GB will start?

Shooting for mid-to-late March at the earliest and April at the latest.

Offline gex

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 07:44:04 »
i registered on geekhack just to be able to buy this keyboard. any info on the pricing yet?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 18:06:22 »
i registered on geekhack just to be able to buy this keyboard. any info on the pricing yet?

Probably should have pricing in a week or two. Estimate is between $300 and $400. We're trying to keep it low, but you're paying for brass bottom (entire bottom), brass plate, brass pen rail, PCB with RGB and hotswap plus daughterboard, 3 acrylic pieces, and also foam. Foam is a new addition that we just recently added. It will add a trivial amount to the cost but the difference in sound should be noteworthy.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 21:49:56 »
Have been following this project for a minute, and it is enticing me quite a bit.

Any chance it will support 2 x 2u spacebars? It's how I like running my Preonic  :cool:

Thanks!

Offline walie

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 22:42:08 »
Have been following this project for a minute, and it is enticing me quite a bit.

Any chance it will support 2 x 2u spacebars? It's how I like running my Preonic  :cool:

Thanks!

re-read the OP

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 23:08:06 »

Thanks!

re-read the OP

Can't believe I missed that altogether haha, much appreciated!

Offline piit79

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 23:52:38 »
... but you're paying for... PCB with RGB..., 3 acrylic pieces...

That's actually one aspect of the design I don't care about at all and won't use. For me, RGB doesn't belong in "serious" boards. But I realize that's just me, people seem to love colourful lights ;)

Can't wait nonetheless!

Offline catbus

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:22:25 »
... but you're paying for... PCB with RGB..., 3 acrylic pieces...

That's actually one aspect of the design I don't care about at all and won't use. For me, RGB doesn't belong in "serious" boards. But I realize that's just me, people seem to love colourful lights ;)

Can't wait nonetheless!
I don't generally care for rgb either, but I find the minimalistic use of them on this case to be quite attractive.

Offline gex

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 13:03:24 »
it’d be nice to have a set of anodized pen rails in different colors to be able to match the case with different keycaps, especially if it’s magnetic.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 17:30:08 »
it’d be nice to have a set of anodized pen rails in different colors to be able to match the case with different keycaps, especially if it’s magnetic.

It won't be magnetic - too expensive. It'll screw in from the bottom. As for different colors, I do like the idea, but we're a bit too far along at this point. It's also brass and not aluminum, not that we couldn't have it in aluminum, but another material will add more complexity to the manufacturer, which will likely add more to the cost of everything else.

In the end, I'd be more concerned with matching the caps to the color of the case than to the pen rail. Maybe if I design another case in the future with a pen rail, I'll make it aluminum instead of brass so that it can be anodized in different colors.

Thanks for your interest and sorry we couldn't satisfy this request for this GB. 

Offline bsands

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 20:45:38 »
I'm in!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 03:51:01 »
I had a JJ40 case from KPrepublic back in the day, and found that it has a similar top-mount where the posts are towards the center. The left and right perimeter had an unusually high amount of flex compared to the center -- is it the same case here?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:41:41 »
I had a JJ40 case from KPrepublic back in the day, and found that it has a similar top-mount where the posts are towards the center. The left and right perimeter had an unusually high amount of flex compared to the center -- is it the same case here?

I've also owned a JJ KPRepublic case - JJ50 to be exact. The difference is that the JJ uses an aluminum plate. Since the Atlas is using brass, which is much stiffer, there shouldn't be any worry about flex. Now for those that order a polycarbonate plate, of course there will be flex which is why someone would choose that material over brass. If you're still worried about flex, you can put some foam between the plate and the PCB. I'll provide the plate DXF file so you can have some made if you'd like.

I have thought about adding another plate mounting point the case, but for the reasons above I've decided against it. Once we get the new PCB we'll be able to do extensive testing just to make sure.

Thanks for your question and thanks for your interest. Cheers!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 21:18:32 »
Turns out I was wrong about ordering additional protos.

238049-0
238051-1

I've asked that the artwork on the back be about twice this size. These pics are straight from the factory.

Still waiting on the second round of proto PCBs though. Also still working on pricing, but it is coming. Stay tuned

Offline beekey

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 05:17:34 »
Turns out I was wrong about ordering additional protos.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I've asked that the artwork on the back be about twice this size. These pics are straight from the factory.

Still waiting on the second round of proto PCBs though. Also still working on pricing, but it is coming. Stay tuned
Wow, nice. Great blue tone. :thumb:

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 05:58:11 »
This looks clean af

Offline piit79

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 06:21:56 »
I've asked that the artwork on the back be about twice this size.

Looks good to me... Then again, it's on the bottom, so I don't really care what the size the artwork is ;)

I'm more curious about the pricing - if it can be made under $400 that would be awesome. As I mentioned before I'd happily give up any acrylic inserts if it lowered the price - I won't use any underglow.

I understand it's probably too late for that. And many people probably like pretty lights :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 09:17:23 by piit79 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 15:08:54 »
Just another small update to notify you all of progress...or lack thereof.

The second prototype should arrive this week but we are still awaiting the second round of PCB protos. Those are still 2-3 weeks out unfortunately.

So as you can guess, I'd expect a GB to happen in late April or perhaps early May. We will do our best to try and keep everyone updated even if there isn't much news to report.

Next update should be about pricing.

Stay strong.  :thumb:

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 16:53:08 »
Just another small update to notify you all of progress...or lack thereof.

The second prototype should arrive this week but we are still awaiting the second round of PCB protos. Those are still 2-3 weeks out unfortunately.

So as you can guess, I'd expect a GB to happen in late April or perhaps early May. We will do our best to try and keep everyone updated even if there isn't much news to report.

Next update should be about pricing.

Stay strong.  :thumb:
Very, very exciting to hear updates are here and coming!

Hope to snatch one up :)

Offline catbus

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:18:42 »
Thanks for keeping us updated!

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 08:30:36 »
I have been following for a bit and love the updates! Thank you so much for sharing as the process continues.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to provide a very general idea on price and timing. Just trying to get my budget in order. I definitely don’t want to miss this, but my keyboard budget has taken a beating lately with all these great GMK sets that have been rolling out.

Cheers!!

Offline piit79

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 08:35:28 »

... my keyboard budget has taken a beating lately with all these great GMK set...
Cheers!!

I was expecting you to say "due to this COVID-19 mess", but no - you're honest with yourself

Offline utilitytech

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 12:20:53 »
Hi the prototype looks nice. I have been following your IC since you put it up. I was very keen on joining. But I am sorry to say that I will not be joining your GB anymore specially with what has happened with the Wuhan Virus (Yeah I will use it irrespective what the official name is). If my understanding is correct, you will get the keyboard manufactured in China.

The CCP can't pretend that everything is normal and reopen their factories. I am terrified at the 21 day lockdown in India. I really hope we can pull through without a huge damage.

As far as my hobby is concerned I have already ordered many things before Jan 2020 and I am going to honour those commitments but not any new ones. I do hope the Chinese people can get the courage to say something against the ruthless CCP. I sincerely hope the top guy in China loses his job for putting the whole world at risk.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 12:33:20 by utilitytech »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 15:40:59 »
Hi the prototype looks nice. I have been following your IC since you put it up. I was very keen on joining. But I am sorry to say that I will not be joining your GB anymore specially with what has happened with the Wuhan Virus (Yeah I will use it irrespective what the official name is). If my understanding is correct, you will get the keyboard manufactured in China.

The CCP can't pretend that everything is normal and reopen their factories. I am terrified at the 21 day lockdown in India. I really hope we can pull through without a huge damage.

As far as my hobby is concerned I have already ordered many things before Jan 2020 and I am going to honour those commitments but not any new ones. I do hope the Chinese people can get the courage to say something against the ruthless CCP. I sincerely hope the top guy in China loses his job for putting the whole world at risk.

That's correct. Both board and PCB are being made in China. Unfortunately because of costs, it wouldn't be feasible to have both manufactured in the States. Price-wise, the cost would be astronomical compared to manufacturing in China.

Your concern is completely valid though and I respect it. It's great that Salvun, alongside MyKeyboard.EU is making a lot of boards now and I'd hope someone with the same resources and knowledge as him could do the same for people in the States.

I have been following for a bit and love the updates! Thank you so much for sharing as the process continues.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to provide a very general idea on price and timing. Just trying to get my budget in order. I definitely don’t want to miss this, but my keyboard budget has taken a beating lately with all these great GMK sets that have been rolling out.

Cheers!!

I've given a general timeline update in my last post. As for price, that is to come very soon. I'd expect it to be between $300 and $400. We're trying to keep the costs down as much as possible, but because of the type of materials used - lots of brass - and the quantity of components, we're likely not able to keep the price under $300. Just for transparency sake, and I don't need a pat on the back for this - nor am I asking for one, I've asked the vendor that the only compensation I receive is a couple of boards. In return, we'll use the difference to make the board just a little bit cheaper for all of you.

Offline pipsay

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 09:39:55 »
Definitely in for this. Take your time! I'm just glad I didn't miss the opportunity to get in on the GB. I bought SA Sail, and saw this keyboard in the renders!
Cheers

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 21:01:22 »
I've given a general timeline update in my last post. As for price, that is to come very soon. I'd expect it to be between $300 and $400. We're trying to keep the costs down as much as possible, but because of the type of materials used - lots of brass - and the quantity of components, we're likely not able to keep the price under $300. Just for transparency sake, and I don't need a pat on the back for this - nor am I asking for one, I've asked the vendor that the only compensation I receive is a couple of boards. In return, we'll use the difference to make the board just a little bit cheaper for all of you.

Thank you!!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 01:24:40 »

@utilitytech You were quite happy to buy things manufactured in China before this pandemic, but now want to virtue signal by not entering into a group buy because it's made in China. So basically you're racist and a hypocrite. Nice.

I sincerely hope you continue to boycott Chinese-made products after the world recovers from this, as this hobby doesn't need the likes of you in it.

Offline piit79

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 02:45:22 »

So basically you're racist and a hypocrite. Nice.

Come on, racist? That was a lame low blow.

Hypocrite, perhaps. People are allowed to make up their minds though. The truth is China could use a proper boycott as they seem to think they can get away with anything because they manufacture 80% of sh*t people buy worldwide. And sadly they're right :(

But let's keep politics and name-calling out of here, pretty please.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 03:50:43 »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opinion/china-coronavirus-racism.html

That’s why the top brass in the states is calling it Chinese virus, to deflect from their inactions and blame externally- by calling it that you are adding politics to it.

Mod Edit: Removed an off-topic post from below.  Let's keep this on-topic and non-political from here on out, everyone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2020, 09:09:03 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline 14x71

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 05:28:01 »
first ortho board I'm interested in! looking forward for future update :thumb:

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 07:00:50 »
I've been checking this thread since it was created, so much interested in this.

How much weight of the case? I'm just curious.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:56:08 »
I've been checking this thread since it was created, so much interested in this.

How much weight of the case? I'm just curious.

Yeah, we could do that. Do you want the weight without PCB, switches, and caps or with PCB, switches, and caps?

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 15:46:13 »
Nice. I just wanted to know the weight of the case only.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 10:38:26 »
Nice. I just wanted to know the weight of the case only.

2.4 lbs or 1090g

Again this is without the PCB, switches, and caps

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 18:25:33 »

2.4 lbs or 1090g

Again this is without the PCB, switches, and caps

Cool. That's decent as a 50% Ortho board:))) am looking forward to having it on my hands.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:01:41 »
Hi everyone.

Just want to point out two things.

The first is that the navy prototype has arrived and there are photos of it on Cannon Keys website.

Second, Cannon Keys is now offering some thick PBT BoW caps with icon mods designed by OneCreativeMind. It's actually very affordable. They're looking great and the legends are fairly arbitrary so that should help those who have niche ortho layouts.

PS: Still waiting on proto PCB to come in.

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:03:53 by nasp »

Offline eczactly

Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Waiting for 2nd Proto PCB)
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 00:12:45 »
been silently following this project since the first posts on the instagram and here.
Never had an ortho keyboard before, but beyond excited to join this GB!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 01:11:32 »
Hi, I have a small suggestion: please use quality screws.

I got the IMK Corne as my first GB case, which I thought was quite expensive for what it is, and was super disappointed to see that they cheaped out on the screws. It was not even mid range screws, but low end pot metal chinese crap.

Proper m2 screws specced for industrial use might cost you ten cents a piece (that's roughly what I pay when I buy for the factory where I work @ 1000 qty boxes), but they will give a real quality feel when assembling, will last a lifetime and will not wear the threads of the case as much.

Might be overkill, might be insignificant, but I think it'd be a shame not to use proper fasteners considering the solid looks of the case!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 15:33:04 »

I got the IMK Corne as my first GB case, which I thought was quite expensive for what it is, and was super disappointed to see that they cheaped out on the screws. It was not even mid range screws, but low end pot metal chinese crap.

Proper m2 screws specced for industrial use might cost you ten cents a piece (that's roughly what I pay when I buy for the factory where I work @ 1000 qty boxes), but they will give a real quality feel when assembling, will last a lifetime and will not wear the threads of the case as much.

Might be overkill, might be insignificant, but I think it'd be a shame not to use proper fasteners considering the solid looks of the case!

Hi Joaquox,

According to the vendor, Upas, the screw we will use is comparable to McMaster Carr class 12.9 hex screws. The manufacturer is also the same one that has produced the Satistfaction75s.

Hope that is reassuring to you. If you are not satisfied, we can always list the screw details for you so that you can pick up aftermarket ones.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 14:58:20 »

Hi Joaquox,

According to the vendor, Upas, the screw we will use is comparable to McMaster Carr class 12.9 hex screws. The manufacturer is also the same one that has produced the Satistfaction75s.

Hope that is reassuring to you. If you are not satisfied, we can always list the screw details for you so that you can pick up aftermarket ones.

Hi, 12.9 will absolutely be good enough!

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Offline radmedov

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 19:05:42 »
I'm in!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:04:03 »
Small update on 2nd proto PCB (again).

It was supposed to arrive late last month, but it didn't. Turns out it only just shipped and now China is on a small holiday.

Sorry for the delay. Shipping from China is a bit unpredictable right now and a lot of manufacturers/fabricators are slower than pre-Corona. We'll get the GB up and going as soon as we can.

Cheers and wish you all the best  :thumb:

Offline DonaldPShimoda

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:43:34 »
I know you're waiting on the prototype stuff, but I just want to say that I keep coming back to this thread to look at the photos. Everything about this is just so GOOD. Very excited for the eventual GB, whenever it happens. Hopefully stuff arrives to you soon!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 17:20:00 »
I know you're waiting on the prototype stuff, but I just want to say that I keep coming back to this thread to look at the photos. Everything about this is just so GOOD. Very excited for the eventual GB, whenever it happens. Hopefully stuff arrives to you soon!

Thanks for the support!

It will come eventually. International shipping is a hot mess currently. I have several things that shipped out almost a month ago and are either stuck in customs or haven't even reached US customs yet.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 17:32:46 »

Thanks for the support!

It will come eventually. International shipping is a hot mess currently. I have several things that shipped out almost a month ago and are either stuck in customs or haven't even reached US customs yet.

Can vouch for you there...I've had something stuck in export in Australia since mid April lol...oh well, totally understandable

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 14:19:56 »
2nd Proto PCB is finally here!

243021-0

243023-1

Looks like we are ready for the GB.

(RGB Demo)* Atlas RGB - Imgur.mp4 (1083.8 kB - downloaded 122 times.)

Lastly, the GB date has been set to May 30th!

Yes, that's the end of this month. More info very soon.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 14:26:03 by nasp »