Author Topic: AT vs. PS2 keyboards, and Maltrons  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Wordhopscotch

AT vs. PS2 keyboards, and Maltrons
« on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 15:51:44 »
I have a Maltron right-handed keyboard that's driving me nuts; I love it to death but the T and D keys were set too close to one another and stick/resist horribly.  So, while I'm waiting for the company to get back to me, I'm using my secondhand spare with the native AT connector and a couple of adapters.  I've noticed that the touch on the AT keyboard is a lot softer, which I like better.  There's still feedback, but not a lot and not too loud.  Part of that is probably just because the keys on the AT are spaced better and so not sticking, but it really does feel different.  On my current PS2 keyboard, even though I still only have to press the keys halfway, it feels tighter, like there's less give to it or it bottoms out faster.  Compared to the two-handed keyboards, the one-handed Maltron hasn't changed a whole lot.  But I have seen people talking about how much they like the IBM PC AT normal keyboards because they feel different also.  But what I don't understand is how, if they've been using the same switches for 20 odd years, it can feel that different.  Maybe it's just because the person who had the keyboard before me used it a lot and loosened up the keys; I don't know.  Has anyone had experience with this -- not necessarily on a Maltron, but in general?  Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's hard to describe.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 16:30:16 »
I was wondering when we'd someone on here who owned a Maltron. Now, is the AT keyboard a Maltron as well? Didn't quite catch that from your post.

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 16:57:06 »
Yep -- both are Maltrons. Sorry about that.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 18:10:16 »
We need pictures!!  

All things can wear out.  Not knowing what both keyboards felt like "new" it's hard to determine whether the difference is truly wear or due to mechanical differences.  (even if they use the same switches...all those switches certainly weren't made at the same time...there certainly can be differences)

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 16:44:24 »
Sorry; I don't have a camera. :-) But my PS/2 is pretty much identical to the website photo, except that the LEDs are in a straight line at the top. The AT is similar, but the keys are a little darker with some of the letters shiny or worn off a bit, and the LEDs for left shift lock, power/letters mode, and numbers mode aren't in a straight line like on the PS/2. And instead of the silver cord, the AT looks like it has a dirty phone cord with two adapters weighing it down to work USB. (Also there's a twist-tie dangling off the cord to make it easier to put back in the case.) Here's the photo from the US site:

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 16:47:04 »
Bah, the image doesn't show. Link:
http://maltron-usa.com/ex5.htm

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 17:50:35 »
Quote from: Wordhopscotch;5006
Bah, the image doesn't show. Link:
http://maltron-usa.com/ex5.htm

Oh man, that looks like it would be difficult to use...
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 18:21:38 »
Hey Wordhopscotch.

Is there a particular reason you use the one-handed keyboard?  (have only one hand to use, perhaps?)

Just curious.

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 18:30:40 »
Actually, no.  It rocks.  (Especially compared to trying to type one-handed from the center of a QWERTY keyboard, which I did from middle school to the end of college.  That and using a cane gave me RSI, so I bitterly wish I had known about this earlier.)  The  Cherry switches are a lot more forgiving for me.  And the shape/frequency of use layout helps immensely.  I don't have to stretch or splay my hand, so my fingers don't bother me as badly, and neither does my wrist because I don't have to turn my arm to make my fingers meet the keys like I would on a flat keyboard.  I just put my hand on it, and I'm on the home row.  The recessed columns are good for that too.

If you're referring to the layout, it's really not that hard to get used to.  For me, I hadn't been able to type anything for a year, so my fingers had pretty much forgotten the patterns they used on QWERTY anyway.  One thing I did to get used to the layout was to just look at the keys and make words with my eyes, sort of like playing Boggle.  Now I can touch type on it with no problem -- didn't even need the typing tutor manual.

I do have a little bit of trouble with the thumb keys sometimes because I sprained my thumb a while back, but I have workarounds.  On bad days I just move over and use my index finger.  Also, if my spasticity isn't too bad, I can use my left thumb to press the space, enter, and tab keys at the bottom of the numeric keypad, so that helps a little too.  I also configured Open Office to do shorthand.  Bless open source programmers.  :-)  So really, it's the best possible keyboard I could be using.  It just disturbs me that this is the only ergonomic keyboard in the world made for one handed people.  If Maltron goes out of business, I'm screwed.

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 18:31:40 »
I'm hemiplegic -- cerebral palsy.

Offline 2097

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 June 2008, 10:11:39 »
So both have cherries?

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 10:06:06 »
Quote from: 2097;5067