Author Topic: G903 Vs. G502 main buttons technology  (Read 12321 times)

Offline typo

G903 Vs. G502 main buttons technology
« on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 09:54:50 »
According to Logitech they are the same. I am pretty sure it has been said here that the G903 has "hinged" main buttons. Whereas on the G502 it is simply bending the plastic as with any other mouse. Are they different, the G903 being better? I was looking at inside pictures and cannot really tell anything due to the amount of electronics in there. I was just wondering if the 903 is supposed to be better? I have both Mice. I was just wondering about this since Logitech seems to contradict what those that have disassembled them have to say. Of course I did not get this information from Logitech support robots. It came from PR contact, but they too may be misinformed. Usually only the Engineers at a company know anything.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: G903 Vs. G502 main buttons technology
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:31:57 »
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were after but I'll give it a shot.

Different?Yes. Better? I'm not so sure.
I think I can explain better here... Marketing. "Look new feature! Better! Shiny!"

There is a bit less slop between the switch and button compared to previous mice, and it takes a lot less pressure to activate the switch. I never saw a problem with the added pressure and if you know how sensitive Omron switches are, this is actually not a smart move on their part*, while you can say they probably know better and have done testing, my info comes straight from Omron. For me it's led to an incredible amount of accidental right clicks as the pressure to activate it is very low.

Other downsides, there is no way the hinge is as strong as a flex hinge, and the front of the 900 and 903 is very pointed. I would be scared to transport this mouse without being protected by a bag for fear of ripping off a button. It hasn't happened yet but it's surprising how easy that tip snags cloth and fingers, it's made me nervous quite a few times. If it was a $20 mouse, meh, but these are expensive mice and ripping off a button would really make for a bad week/month. Honestly, if there is one thing I hate about this mouse more than anything, even the price, is the buttons. Not their feel, I don't hate that, I just think they are too soft and prone to damage.

*Omron documentation says ANYTHING resting on the switch will shorten the lifespan. ANYTHING, that means your finger as well. Basically, a normal flex hinge keeps the button from resting on the switch while a hinged button like the 900/903 abuses this switch all day, regardless of your finger resting on it, every day unless you store it upside down. I posted links to the Omron pdf in my Definitive Omron guide.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 00:12:09 »
Good answer! I too often accidently invoke the buttons on the 903. Not the 502. I actually feel for strongly right handed the 502 is a far superior Rodent. I always hit the side buttons unwittingly as well. Causing results I obviously do not want. Due to what macro is on them.  I thought it was so much more expensive it had to be much better. Unfortunately I do not find that to be the case. Furthermore I do not find the weight of the 502 to be an issue either. Due mainly to the increased level of comfort. To me the 903 is very awkward. Plus the battery bump for not using it wireless to begin with gets in my way. The final kicker? Logitech's wireless Dongle causes all manner of problems with my system. YMMV on that though. Many people do prefer the 903 though. Maybe just bragging rights? Look, I spent $150 on a pointing device. TBH, of all things I am eyeballing the Razer Basilisk at Walmart!

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 02:36:57 »
You know, some FPS gamers may just want a hairpin trigger. For Dev Suites/Coding it really blows. I am glad someone agrees with me. Just because it is 3 times the price of the 502 does not mean it is better.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 06:58:41 »
Good answer!

I too often accidently invoke the buttons on the 903. Not the 502. I actually feel for strongly right handed the 502 is a far superior Rodent. I always hit the side buttons unwittingly as well. Causing results I obviously do not want. Due to what macro is on them.  I thought it was so much more expensive it had to be much better. Unfortunately I do not find that to be the case. Furthermore I do not find the weight of the 502 to be an issue either. Due mainly to the increased level of comfort. To me the 903 is very awkward. Plus the battery bump for not using it wireless to begin with gets in my way. The final kicker? Logitech's wireless Dongle causes all manner of problems with my system. YMMV on that though. Many people do prefer the 903 though. Maybe just bragging rights? Look, I spent $150 on a pointing device. TBH, of all things I am eyeballing the Razer Basilisk at Walmart!
Thanks, I guess that was what you were after.

I have never used it on Windows for more than a few minutes during testing and when I did use it on Mac for a while I would disable the software (I run Linux on my desktop). I did have issues with Logitech software on Windows years ago (early G700 era), it was deleting settings on reboot and the best solution was to just not let it run. These days, even if it ran fine, with all the spying I would disable it. It's not like it's a drain on my resources (I have a stupid amount of computing power), but I hate apps running for zero reason other than to check for an update that only comes once every few months and even then with no benefit to me. Never had issues with the dongle other than every time I plug my Anywhere2 into a customers Windows machine it wants to download some massive drivers and software (not happening).

I like tight, fast rigger, but the right mouse button is not the one I need for shooting. Also, if sneaking or sniping (I used to love knifing), random shots can be a real problem since it gives away your position. It's caused quite few issues since I bought it by triggering a menu and option before I noticed what happened. A real bummer when it deletes something. No reason for a mouse to be this stupidly sensitive and I've considered swapping in stiffer Omrons once the warranty expires, at least on the right button to combat the problem. Honestly, I feel like Logitech kind of dropped the ball on testing this, I know they do a lot of R&D and testing, maybe they are too reliant on machine testing these days. I think a few humans would have caught this issue, I did within the first day.

I don't use wired mice ever since I had a desk that liked to eat their wires for lunch, it killed the last (cheap) wired mouse I ever used in 3 hours, so the 502 isn't an option for me. Can't really go back now, too used to no cord dragging. There was an Asus I was eyeballing though, had quick swap Omrons, too bad reviewers found the wireless to not be as good, which is a common theme. Unfortunately almost no one can match logitech's wireless, spent a lot of money on competitors garbage and always end up back with Logitech.

BTW, I got my 900 on sale for a bit over $100 a couple months after release, I wasn't paying $150 for a mouse unless it can do the dishes. I'm sure it will probably happen at some point, but for the time being I refuse. It's a nice mouse, but I like to call it the most boring high end mouse you can buy.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 07:39:29 »
G603 or G305 is the best wireless mouse right now.

They last a really long time with only 1xAA or 1x AAA battery.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 11:38:02 »

I'm not sure I'm liking the g305 as much as I had hoped, definitely a heavier click vs the g900.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:49:52 »

I'm not sure I'm liking the g305 as much as I had hoped, definitely a heavier click vs the g900.

Hrrrrrmm..

Well, over time every click should lighten up ..

Heavier, do you mean it's a tighter button, or are you detecting friction on the button tab assembly..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:53:11 »

Hrrrrrmm..

Well, over time every click should lighten up ..

Heavier, do you mean it's a tighter button, or are you detecting friction on the button tab assembly..

Just heavier when clicking. But it could just be the newness.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 21:02:56 »

I disagree.

Neither of them have onboard storage, meaning you need the Logitech software installed in order to remap buttons or change the DPI. This means even if you disable the front end, the function layer is still running in background. Every time it moves systems or you reload your OS it wipes out those settings, it also means Linux functionality will be severely limited.

I'm less sensitive to weight than most, but the 603 weighs about the same as the 305 and 900/903 in weight before you start adding batteries. By the time you add two AA batteries to get the full battery life it's quite the porker. Also, while they may claim 500 hours battery, crank up the dpi and refresh rate like I do and that battery will come down to 1/5th of that rating. I don't mind using rechargables, or even recharging every night, however, since these do not have a charging function that means I'm going to be popping off that cover to do a battery swap quite often. How long before that breaks from repeated use? I have a Performance MX sitting here with that exact problem and several others with that problem sitting in drawers.

I'm not saying they are bad mice, but they wouldn't work for me.
At least they remembered to include a spot for dongle storage, in another indication of possibly too much lab testing and not enough human testing, they forgot this on their high end Anywhere mice. I can kind of forgive that on the G900/903 but on a travel mouse that seems a bit short sighted. Why design storage for a mouse that never travels and has no bluetooth, but not include it on a mouse that does travel and has bluetooth where you would not even need the dongle at all?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 21:08:14 »
They got magnetic covers, so it should last forever as long as you're not dropping them and shatter the magnets..

I have to charge my g403 twice a week..

vs once a month according to reports using a single AAA battery.

Neither the 603 also doesn't need 2xAA battery, they run on single AAA battery.

It's an amazeballs breakthrough in wireless mice tech.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 21:25:19 »
Neither the 603 also doesn't need 2xAA battery, they run on single AAA battery.
It's still heavier than a 903.

Magnets, oh god...I always have a ton of random bolts and bearings scattered around my work desk, I can just imagine what it would pick up.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:19:13 »
Actually, without taking it apart I guess I still did not know how the button covers are attached. The 502 says it has some fancy technology and then the 903 something else but similar sounding. All marketing speak. According to Logitech they are the same attachment. It would be interesting to see if they are or are not. Or just exactly what the heck each is. It could be the same and just sits lower on the 903 or who knows. I am not taking apart $220 of mice. They do indeed feel different but that does not mean they employ different technology. Could just be "tuned" differently. Or if it is different I have no idea. I am continuing to use the 903 corded. As I feel no difference in drag. Would like to remove the battery but not killing the feet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:22:08 »
The buttons are preloaded..

That's really just fancy speak for a spring on a hinge..

It' makes it so the flaps are lightly touching the top of the internal switch plunger..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 05:19:01 »

Neither of them have onboard storage, meaning you need the Logitech software installed in order to remap buttons or change the DPI.

My G305 remembered the custom macros and dpi settings between different computers.

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 10:03:34 »
Well, this was a no brainer. I compared them side by side real good(OCD). The 903 nearly has a hairpin trigger. where the 502 has some give before it actuates. I guess people might like that for FPS or whatever. Of course could make a lot of false discharges using up your ammo. Well I am going to say just because it is more money it is not better for everyone across the board. Plus right handed can often accidently hit the side buttons. It is a very nice mouse but so is the 502 IMO. Should go with what works for you.

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 22:05:16 »
As far as I'm concerned they both have pretty trash QC as far as the button switches go and they're both rather heavy. If money isn't a concern I'd look at the G Pro Wireless or the G903. You might have to RMA whichever one you go for depending on your luck but fortunately Logitech's customer support is very understanding and quick.

The G903's shape is really nice and you don't need to use all 4 side buttons if you don't want to. Once you go for a wireless mouse you really appreciate the freedom you get.

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 22:56:04 »
Been using G903. Logitech CS 100%. I do not "get" what G-Pro is for? For $150 lacks everything. Weight?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 09:00:42 »
Been using G903. Logitech CS 100%. I do not "get" what G-Pro is for? For $150 lacks everything. Weight?

people like the shape.

The market is set to whatever they think they could get away with.  has very little to do with the product itself in this case, because the internals are more/less the same between all of their products.

Offline typo

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:29:09 »
Considering, the Pro should be like $85 if 903 is $150. Bet they come out with a "905" now because everyone needs the same chip with 16,000 DPI. Not.