Author Topic: Advice to modify gateron red  (Read 2754 times)

Offline marshskitow

Advice to modify gateron red
« on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 13:58:44 »
Hello,

the question have been discused thousand times, but i keep reading oposite opinion for this.

It's simple, i bought cheap gateron red for a cheap build. Can i make them better and how ?
Before i buy anything, they are not soldered yet but they sound too loud, too plastic .... I feel like lube them is not going to fix that problem.

Thank for listening to me.

btw, not english and keyboard beginer.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Advice to modify gateron red
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 14:08:51 »
Lube will help a good bit with the sound TBH. IME, lube helps damp the parts smacking off each other a good bit & makes the sound produced from that lower pitched. Plate material, case material, & mounting method also will play a huge role in how the switches sound too. So how they sound loose is gonna be completely different to how they sound in a build.

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 17:44:01 »
Okay, then what should i use. I have oil, krytox 205g0, and 3203. Maybe i'm over reacting a bit because i didn't try on the plate and pcb yet.
Films are not going to make them better ?

It's a cheap one so it's going to be on aluminum (case and plate).

Offline Learis

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 01:31:58 »
Switch films help loose housings fit more snugly on the switch. Overall, your switches will all sound more similar to each other with films applied since they compensate for the looser fitting switches. This video demonstrates this nicely:

Krytox205g0 is highly recommended for linears so you're good with that. Here's a video that helped me learn about lubing switches:

Mend and Defend

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 04:12:37 »
Okay i'll follow the video. I understand better now the difference beetwen 0.17$ switch and 0.70$ switch.

I don't if what i say is true but i had some Kailh berry (About 0.30$), and the feeling and sound is pretty good stock. So is kailh better than gateron, or 0.30$ is a good midle range switch.

One last question, if my memory is good its less than 50g for ma cheap gateron, if i change the spring it's not going to change the sound right ? Springs does not affect the sound or am i wrong ?

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 07:40:39 »
All right. I lubed them and you were right, the sound is now better. Feel less than plastic sliding on plastic.

Offline shadowcelery

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 12:03:50 »
Just pressing a switch not on a plate and in a case, it will make a dramatically different sound. I feel like once its in the plate itll have much less of a plasticy sound.