Author Topic: Do small sized spacebar keycaps (convex not concave) exist for purchase?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Learis

I'm looking for 2.25 and 2.75 keycaps specifically with the convex spacebar styling in whatever color and profile they're available. Pimpmykeyboard sells all sizes of blank keycaps in multiple colors, however you can see from this example in the preview image that it's the typical concave styling you would find on shift keys: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-2-75-space-pack-of-4/
Literally the only thing I've found with convex spacebar styling is this one product on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Convex-Spacebar-1-75u-2-25u-Keycaps/dp/B07952VS7R

I just want to know if I have any other options for my split spacebar keyboard. Worst case scenario I have to settle for the concave shift style which is less comfortable to me than the typical convex spacebar style...
Mend and Defend

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
Re: Do small sized spacebar keycaps (convex not concave) exist for purchase?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 03:23:34 »
What profile? There's a good deal of GMK spacebar kits in stock, the newer ones usually have 2.25 and 2.75 convex space bars. E.g. https://oblotzky.industries/products/gmk-crimson-cadet?variant=36210009276584

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 08:33:41 »
Most group buys will have the spacebars you require in either the 40s kit or the spacebar kit. There are a few on Drop right now. I think susuwatari might be in stock, even.

Offline Learis

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 20:47:57 »
Thank you both for the info. My main preference is just for the typical OEM profile or SA. I would like to avoid GMK if possible because I don't want to have to deal with the interference risks I've been hearing about. But honestly beggers can't be choosers so I'm just happy for any options.

Edit: I'm not seeing an option to buy the spacebar kit for the susuwatari set. That profile is the newer MT3 and I don't think they have those custom spacebar molds for it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:18:13 by Learis »
Mend and Defend

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 00:59:04 »
Thank you both for the info. My main preference is just for the typical OEM profile or SA. I would like to avoid GMK if possible because I don't want to have to deal with the interference risks I've been hearing about. But honestly beggers can't be choosers so I'm just happy for any options.

Edit: I'm not seeing an option to buy the spacebar kit for the susuwatari set. That profile is the newer MT3 and I don't think they have those custom spacebar molds for it.
You know, I actually recommended that because I bought the susuwatari spacebar kit just about a month ago or so I could have 2 2u spacebars on my Planck. I’m not sure what’s going on here, one option is that they usually reduce the number of sets available when they switch a set from group buy to always in stock. The other thing that might have happened is maybe the current listing is only selling extras from the group buy and the spacebars have already.

I could probably ship you the 2.25 and 2.75 from my kit if you pay shipping. They are r4, so the top surface is angled away from the user. I find that the “correct” way they are way too angled and reversing them is better but still a bit too far in the other direction. I use them reversed normally, but personally I would prefer the flat r5 bars (which I don’t think exist for this set). They are proper convex bars, not space keys. The other thing is (obviously) they won’t match your other keys if you don’t have any MT3.

I’m not very much into cylindrical profiles, what is the interference issue with GMK that you mentioned?

Offline Learis

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 15:41:20 »
You know, I actually recommended that because I bought the susuwatari spacebar kit just about a month ago or so I could have 2 2u spacebars on my Planck. I’m not sure what’s going on here, one option is that they usually reduce the number of sets available when they switch a set from group buy to always in stock. The other thing that might have happened is maybe the current listing is only selling extras from the group buy and the spacebars have already.

I could probably ship you the 2.25 and 2.75 from my kit if you pay shipping. They are r4, so the top surface is angled away from the user. I find that the “correct” way they are way too angled and reversing them is better but still a bit too far in the other direction. I use them reversed normally, but personally I would prefer the flat r5 bars (which I don’t think exist for this set). They are proper convex bars, not space keys. The other thing is (obviously) they won’t match your other keys if you don’t have any MT3.

I’m not very much into cylindrical profiles, what is the interference issue with GMK that you mentioned?

Interference as I understand it occurs because the shape of GMK keycaps actually causes the edge of them to slightly touch the switch housing when they are depressed. This produces a slightly different feel and sound that is unwanted. But it has to do with whether your switch is North facing or South facing. I think North facing switches (with the LED hole at the top) are what cause interference. In this video, you can see the person simulating interference. His board has south facing switches, so he puts some keycaps on upside down to simulate north facing switches. You can definitely hear a difference when this occurs. As far as I know, this is only with the GMK keycaps, and I genuinely don't know if it's all switches or only certain switches causing this, but I just don't want to risk it.

That's interesting that MT3 actually has molds for smaller spacebars! Based off everything you've said though, I think I'm going to try getting used to just blank shift keys for now; I'd rather keep things simple than go deeper down the rabbit hole. Perhaps if I turn the shift keys upside down the angle will be nicer for the thumb. Hopefully MT3 makes some smaller non-angled spacebars at some point, since they're close enough to SA profile to use with an SA set. The coloring is another issue... makes me wonder if I can just spray paint them to a color I want... the rabbit hole never ends.
Mend and Defend