Author Topic: Howdy.  (Read 3012 times)

Offline zyth3x

Howdy.
« on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:22:23 »
Been lurking GH for quite some time and figured I might as well say hello.

Hello.  ;)

Currently using a HHKB2 but I'm trying to hunt down a Poker with Red switches (holla at cha boy.)

fartq

Re: Howdy.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:34:08 »
pokers are particularly easy to to do spring and stem swaps on. also, consider the non-backlit pure to be basically a poker v.2

fartq

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:34:21 »
and welcome to geekhack!!

Offline zyth3x

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:48:43 »
pokers are particularly easy to to do spring and stem swaps on.

That's interesting. What would be the cheapest way to go about doing that?

Thanks for the welcome, appreciate the insight.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 11:00:17 »
Welcome. Since pokers with browns are available, you could get one of those and look for black stems to swap in for the browns on all switches that do not have LEDs (no soldering needed).

Also, like kawa_ said, you can opt for a Pure with MX reds.
http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=131
Layout is only slightly different.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 11:12:23 »
welcome to GH
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline zyth3x

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 19:07:41 »
Welcome. Since pokers with browns are available, you could get one of those and look for black stems to swap in for the browns on all switches that do not have LEDs (no soldering needed).

What about getting a Poker with Black switches and swapping the spring? which spring would be the closest to the Reds?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 13:18:33 »

What about getting a Poker with Black switches and swapping the spring? which spring would be the closest to the Reds?

Blues and browns use the same springs as reds.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 13:19:52 »
Maybe buy blue switches swap out the springs and sell the resulting 'Cherry Bruise' switches.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline zyth3x

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 20:34:18 »
Thanks fellas, I ordered a Poker with black switches and I'll take the springs out of my Filco which uses browns. Now for key caps and an aluminium case.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 11:11:35 »
Hello and welcome to GH!

Keep in mind that the Filco keyboards are plate-mounted switches.  That means, in order for you to swap the springs out, you'll need to desolder the switches from your Filco, disassemble the switch housing and remove the springs.  It's a lot of work =)

Your best bet is to find someone who has a bunch of springs for sale, and just obtain them that way.  Once you have enough posts, lurk the Classifieds or post a WTB thread for best results!

Offline zyth3x

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 20:29:29 »
Hello and welcome to GH!

Keep in mind that the Filco keyboards are plate-mounted switches.  That means, in order for you to swap the springs out, you'll need to desolder the switches from your Filco, disassemble the switch housing and remove the springs.  It's a lot of work =)

Your best bet is to find someone who has a bunch of springs for sale, and just obtain them that way.  Once you have enough posts, lurk the Classifieds or post a WTB thread for best results!

Already done. I'll probably use the plate from the Filco in the Poker, just need to cut it down to size.