Author Topic: [IC] GMK Modern Dolch  (Read 49721 times)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
[IC] GMK Modern Dolch
« on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 07:52:29 »
Hey!

I would like to introduce you to GMK Modern Dolch!

Inspiration

Many of you have probably owned one or more variants of the timeless Dolch colour-way. I always loved the contrasted yet simple look between the 2 greys, however I always felt like something was a bit off: the colours just seemed a bit too warm and “muddy” to me. I really wanted to give a more muted and modern look to this timeless colourway, which is where Modern Dolch comes in. It keeps the simplistic look and the beautiful contrast between the 2 greys, but cooling the colours down and adding some fresh accents. The result is a very versatile set, which goes well with simple silver/black boards, vibrant teal boards and anything in between.

Here is a comparison between Modern Dolch and OG Dolch:

Design

Because of GMK's limited offering of stock colours, this set will be offering all custom colours. We're in the process of ordering plastic Pantone samples for this, instead of going the standard way of using a paper book. This way we can make sure the colour matching is perfect! We will be offering 3 items in this group buy. First is the base kit, the bread and butter of any GMK set. It will support a plethora of layouts combined with some fresh accents mentioned earlier! We're also excited to offer an icon mod kit, for those who want to complete the simplistic look of this set even more (finally no more R3 all text “Control” key in the midst of icons :thumb:). We also have one more special item in store, a cherry on top if you will!  It’ll look awesome and made out of aluminium, more to follow later! ;) ;)

I'm aiming to get the same proxies as 9009 going for this, meaning nobody will be stuck with those nasty €20 administration fees on import! Dixiemech for the US and Mykeyboard for the EU are confirmed, and I will be in touch with Zfrontier for China and Cocobrais for Korea!

Base kit

Icon mod kit

Spacebar kit

Render gallery

Mech27 by 27:

Modern M0110 by me and Deskcandy

TKL by RAMA:

Fjell Pro by Mekanisk:

S7 Elephant

Tokyo60 by Tokyokeyboards:

M65-A by RAMA

Noxary 280 by Xondat

Wilba.tech Thermal

AI1 by confidential

Xeno by Pwner

If you're interested in this keyset please consider filling in this Google form, it really helps us out a lot to see how much kits would sell :)

If you want to support this set feel free to use this signature (you can set this by going to Profile -> Forum Profile)

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96944.msg2647570#msg2647570][img width=480 height=120]https://s8.postimg.cc/4wwfkumzp/GMK_Modern_Dolch_GH_Banner-no_shadow.png[/img]
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2018, 03:23:07 by janglad »

Offline nickaster1

Re: [IC] GMK Modern Dolch
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 07:57:32 »
Hmmm...

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 07:58:17 »
Janglad makes good keysets, and we should all buy them to support his crippling keyset design addiction

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:02:49 »
Holy smoke. Yes yes yes YESSS! This will be a heaven match for my Cerakote Matte Black Modern M0110A. Lets do dis boysssss 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙌🙌🙌🙌

Offline pentawater

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:06:57 »
Lovely. Can't wait until the buy

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:10:09 »
yes

reminds me of oblivion, but in a good way

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:41:51 »
:OOOF: BOI!!! Count me in!!!!!

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:47:57 »
Yep, 100% in. Finally I can stop trying to find Kekkon Dolch but have no compatibility.

Offline username_87

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:51:24 »
can we have mods pack with full text?
Polaris

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:53:32 »
can we have mods pack with full text?

No, sorry. Even though the colours are a fair bit lighter and cooler on this one, having all text mods would bring it too close to Oblivion IMO :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 08:59:46 »
Loving the icon R3 Control! But why not include it in base kit and get rid of that text completely? And also where's the spacebar kit goodness with them split spaces  :p

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 09:02:47 »
Loving the icon R3 Control! But why not include it in base kit and get rid of that text completely? And also where's the spacebar kit goodness with them split spaces  :p

Quite a few people are asking for a spacebar kit in the Google form, so we're definitely considering adding that!

As for the complete icon mods, I know some people aren't a big fan of them (at least from what I remember when I considered adding them to the 9009 base kit  ;D ) so I'm just going to leave them as a separate kit so everyone can chose what they prefer  :thumb:

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 09:19:23 »

Quite a few people are asking for a spacebar kit in the Google form, so we're definitely considering adding that!

As for the complete icon mods, I know some people aren't a big fan of them (at least from what I remember when I considered adding them to the 9009 base kit  ;D ) so I'm just going to leave them as a separate kit so everyone can chose what they prefer  :thumb:

I have no doubt about this set hitting big once it goes live and should you decide to include the spacebar kit, I don't think it will have any problem hitting the MOQ. I personally would love to see a spacebar kit for my other 60% split space layout :D

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 09:36:48 »
Lovely set, im 100% in for a base set. I would like to see page up R3 and page dn R4 added for the new 65/75% standard.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 09:58:46 »
Wow. Just wow. In for a set!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 10:00:31 »
in!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 10:11:49 »
Super nice colors. I'm very interested in this. In the past I run a successful interest check only for grey alphas (2M on 2B), but the vendor changed his mind because it wasn't profitable enough in the alphas form (even though I didn't ask him any profit share). https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85593.0
I'd use the same legend color of the classic white on black sets, probably it's WS1.

I'd replace the dotted numpad five with a numpad 5 with bars (I can't use keys with nipple, they hurt me). I'd remove the extra enter keys, I'd include just the grey enters. Those enters cost about 2 usd each, so you'll save about $12.
Price right now can be low, very low.
Right now originative is running white on black and is costs only $135, so you'll be able to run lower than that since originative isn't the cheapest place usually :-D
https://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets

Grey goes well with anything, so you'll be able to combine the alphas with almost anything.

201616-0

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2018, 10:22:43 by Giorgio »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 10:41:27 »

I mean just for the R3 Control key, since the complete icon mods is for bottom row and R3 Control is in the middle where the keys around it is already in icon.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:04:20 »
Super nice colors. I'm very interested in this. In the past I run a successful interest check only for grey alphas (2M on 2B), but the vendor changed his mind because it wasn't profitable enough in the alphas form (even though I didn't ask him any profit share). https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85593.0
I'd use the same legend color of the classic white on black sets, probably it's WS1.

I'd replace the dotted numpad five with a numpad 5 with bars (I can't use keys with nipple, they hurt me). I'd remove the extra enter keys, I'd include just the grey enters. Those enters cost about 2 usd each, so you'll save about $12.
Right now originative is running white on black and is costs only $135, so you'll be able to run lower than that since originative isn't the cheapest place usually :-D

Grey goes well with anything, so you'll be able to combine the alphas with almost anything.

(Attachment Link)

I'm not going to remove the accent enters, since people do like those a fair bit (me included). I don't think the comparison in price to BOW makes much sense at all. That kit is a lot smaller (cause cause no accents, no double \| and tilde, no 2u shift, ...) and it uses only 2 colours both of which are stock GMK compared to the 4 custom colours and 1 stock colour MD will use which def adds up to the price. We're looking at a $145 price point right now :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:09:56 »
Call it something else. Maybe Granite. But, it is not a Dolch set. Its current name just add to the confusion. There have been several Dolch versions, already.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:19:18 »
Call it something else. Maybe Granite. But, it is not a Dolch set. Its current name just add to the confusion. There have been several Dolch versions, already.

Considering DSA Granite and the fact that this very much is inspired by Dolch I would think GMK Granite would make for a much more confusing name than Modern Dolch :D It's a more modern version of Dolch, so the name just made sense   :)

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:30:29 »
Interested, love the accent colors.

Offline lunr

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:44:35 »
muted dolch? i am loving this set already.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:45:16 »
looking very nice, if i have the spare funds for this when the gb rolls around i'll be in for sure

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:54:14 »
I greatly approve of the light legends and the arrow 1.5u HHKB Backspace. Where do I insert my money?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 12:09:19 »

(Attachment Link)

I'm not going to remove the accent enters, since people do like those a fair bit (me included). I don't think the comparison in price to BOW makes much sense at all. That kit is a lot smaller (cause cause no accents, no double \| and tilde, no 2u shift, ...) and it uses only 2 colours both of which are stock GMK compared to the 4 custom colours and 1 stock colour MD will use which def adds up to the price. We're looking at a $145 price point right now :)

$145 is a competitive price imo. Very nice job haha! The accent keys really add a touch of freshness to the set so I don't see why we should remove those, maybe have them as an add-on set for those who does not want them and keep the cost of the base kit down? Otherwise, I'd love to see an addition of a spacebar kit and everything should be perfect :)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 12:29:11 »
Sincerely I don't see the need for custom colours N9 and 2B would be perfect. And easier to replicate in future group buys.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 12:39:30 »
Sincerely I don't see the need for custom colours N9 and 2B would be perfect. And easier to replicate in future group buys.

N9 is quite a bit darker than the current mod colour and 2B quite a bit warmer. Would completely change the set's look, and it wouldn't be what I'm aiming for with the colours :)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:21:24 »

2B is def too light to be compared to CC (original Dolch alpha color)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:40:18 »
Dixiemech just created this awesome signature for those who want to help support the set! Feel free to use it (you can add it by going to profile -> forum profile)  :thumb:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96944.msg2647570#msg2647570][img width=480 height=120]https://s8.postimg.cc/4wwfkumzp/GMK_Modern_Dolch_GH_Banner-no_shadow.png[/img]

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:40:55 »
I'm convinced that janglad has some kind of reality enhancement augment reverse engineered from a spaceship which crashed in his back yard. He uses it to make these ridiculous renders.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:42:43 »
I'm convinced that janglad has some kind of reality enhancement augment reverse engineered from a spaceship which crashed in his back yard. He uses it to make these ridiculous renders.

A combination of this and wayyyyy too many hours looking at 3d keyboards in CAD software  :) I'm glad you like them! Looking through albums of renders I have done for other people's keysets I can definitely notice progress, which is quite cool to see :D

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:49:41 »
1.25 and/or 1.5u Caps Lock keys for those who swap caps and control...

Offline autobot

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:59:38 »
Wow, this fixes my issue with Dolch. I might sell my kekkon Dolch because of this!

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 14:33:31 »
This is the main reason why I wasn’t a huge fan of dolch. I’m so in for this!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 15:58:41 »
It just looks like a washed out version of Dolch.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 15:59:45 »
This is the main reason why I wasn’t a huge fan of dolch. I’m so in for this!

Wow, this fixes my issue with Dolch. I might sell my kekkon Dolch because of this!

Hehe yeah, I would definitely consider this a "fixed" version of Dolch. For me at least :D

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 16:00:11 »

Yes, that kinda is the whole point  :) A more muted and modern version of Dolch :D

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 16:03:56 »

Yes, that kinda is the whole point  :) A more muted and modern version of Dolch :D

Washed out is "modern"? TIL I guess..

Ditch the super keys and those ugly icon mods. Add some code keys and maybe a add on pack with Windows keys and windowed keys like 9009.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2018, 17:39:32 by wholypantalones »

Offline ptiede

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 16:19:37 »
I'm a fan of the icon mods I think they fit the theme. Similarly with the super keys plus I'm not a windows user.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 17:26:18 »
Would the removal of ISO enter keys help reduce the cost of the base kit further? Could they be separated into an international kit instead?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 17:36:21 »
Would the removal of ISO enter keys help reduce the cost of the base kit further? Could they be separated into an international kit instead?

Removing the ISO key would reduce cost minimally for ANSI users and increase it quite a bit for ISO users. It's also very possible that the ISO kit wouldn't hit 150 MOQ, making some people cancel their base kits which could screw with price drops for everyone in the whole GB  :-[ Also I'm just not a fan of splitting up a GMK set too much since I like how easy it is to get a kit that covers everything on the aftermarket VS SA where you need to hunt down a gazillion kits. Either way, I don't think splitting it is the best idea unless you're selling through MassDrop :D

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 18:47:45 »

It's just a name, there's no need to be so literal and definitely no point being upset over it. It's fine.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 18:48:42 »
yup

Offline tomu

• hi
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 18:52:23 »
berry najs
G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline dallman5

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:39:10 »
Very interested! Something about the blue is a bit too jarring for me, I feel like it’s not “muted” enough. The red, however, is on point.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:44:41 »
+1 interest
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:47:07 »
This with “Mr. Sleeves” Addon Kit seems like a fun color combo.

Offline kwyryn

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:54:45 »
Very interested! Something about the blue is a bit too jarring for me, I feel like it’s not “muted” enough. The red, however, is on point.

i kinda agree with you

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 21:00:24 »

It's just a name, there's no need to be so literal and definitely no point being upset over it. It's fine.

No you.