Author Topic: Makers of Topre keyboards, lend me your cauliflower ears!  (Read 2202 times)

Offline saturnotaku

Makers of Topre keyboards, lend me your cauliflower ears!
« on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:15:08 »
Having taken delivery earlier today of my first uniform 55g Topre keyboard (Realforce 10th Anniversary), I have now officially tried basically all the major variant of these keyboards, along with some minor and modded ones. I've seen discussion about how Topre/Realforce, et al have been pretty stagnant in terms of their products, and I very much agree with such assessment. With this in mind, here is a proposal for what I would like to see in a next-generation keyboard with Topre switches:

• The build quality, plate-mounted switches, and different switch weight options found on the Realforce 87U
  • The DIP switch flexibility, Mac friendliness, removable mini USB cable, extra USB ports, and available factory silencing like on the HHKB
  • The rubberized extendable rear feet and MX keycap compatibility of the Novatouch
  • The available backlighting of the Royal Kludge RC930

Now shut up, build it, and take my money.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Makers of Topre keyboards, lend me your cauliflower ears!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:25:07 »
Having taken delivery earlier today of my first uniform 55g Topre keyboard (Realforce 10th Anniversary), I have now officially tried basically all the major variant of these keyboards, along with some minor and modded ones. I've seen discussion about how Topre/Realforce, et al have been pretty stagnant in terms of their products, and I very much agree with such assessment. With this in mind, here is a proposal for what I would like to see in a next-generation keyboard with Topre switches:

• The build quality, plate-mounted switches, and different switch weight options found on the Realforce 87U
  • The DIP switch flexibility, Mac friendliness, removable mini USB cable, extra USB ports, and available factory silencing like on the HHKB
  • The rubberized extendable rear feet and MX keycap compatibility of the Novatouch
  • The available backlighting of the Royal Kludge RC930

Now shut up, build it, and take my money.

Your RF is plate mounted.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:30:01 »

Wut?

The build quality, plate-mounted switches, and different switch weight options found on the Realforce 87U

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:51:21 »

Wut?

The build quality, plate-mounted switches, and different switch weight options found on the Realforce 87U

The switch housings and sliders are mounted on the plate. The rubber domes and conical springs rest on top of the PCB.
Zealio Master Race

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:53:31 »
topre doesn't care about you.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:55:38 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:59:26 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:56:53 »
Y'all fools. He knows that RFs are plate mount. He's saying, in his idea of the "perfect" board, the switches would remain plate mounted, while having characteristics from other boards.

*This message will self-destruct soon

topre doesnt care about you
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:57:41 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:59:38 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:59:10 »
oops dubble bubble

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:59:52 »
topre doesn't care about you.

Oh I know. I'm sure we won't be seeing any new products from Realforce or PFU any time in the near future, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about what could be.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 16:21:54 »
Topre that makes Realforce and PFU maker of HHKB are Japanese company's that are very conservative and resistant to change. People have been wishing for a HHKB Pro3 for a long time. You say you have 10th Anniversary that was released a few years ago only new colors. The Hi Pro"s are the newest Reaforce and other than key profile basically the same design. I don't think they will or care to hear you IHMO. I have modified my 87ub 55g to a removable cable https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50821.msg1113956#msg1113956 and I'm waiting for matt3o"s PBT spacebars. I decided make my own changes not wait in limbo.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:25:38 »
TKL, All Aluminum, 55g HHKB. I would do a lot for such a keyboard. If it's TKL though, does it make it a HHKB?

Or maybe just ditch the TKL. All alumnium, 55g HHKB. Yep. Make it twice the price for #baller status.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 05:13:49 »
This is a dumb thread. Let's move on.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:39:49 »

This is a dumb thread. Let's move on.

Thanks for the free bump!  :thumbsup: