Author Topic: PCjr by Vortex Keyboard <KBt RE:> website update  (Read 6373 times)

Offline vortexkeyboard

PCjr by Vortex Keyboard <KBt RE:> website update
« on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 04:00:40 »
Hello! Vortex Keyboard is excited to officially announce the latest keyboard and share the news on Geekhack with everyone who are interested in redesigned retro mechanical keyboard

The very first redesigned mechanical keyboard by us are inspired by IBM’s PCjr keyboard.
We are going to name it KBt RE:
There will be two different version, 66 keys and 68 keys.

283606-0283613-1

Board Details
66keys
Switch - 5pin Cherry MX switch
Comes with MX Blue, MX Brown, MX Red, MX Silver and MX Milky

68 keys
Switch - Gateron switch
Comes with G Pro Red and G Pro Brown 

Measurement
L*W*H : 33.0*16.5*3.5 cm ± 0.3

Exploded view

283670-2283672-3

Highlights
- Triple Mode (Wired/Bluetooth 5.1/2.4GHz)
- Fully Programmable (Vortexgear GUi)
- N-Key Rollover
- Gasket Mount Structure
- FR-4 Switch Mounting Plate
- Hot-Swap PCB ( 3 Pin And 5 Pin Supportable)
- Silicone Dampening Pad
- OEM Profile PBT Dye-Sub Keycaps
- USB Type-C Connectivity

Keycap Language Version 
-US
-Cangjie

Preorder
Preorder will be available on Vortex Keyboard’s new official website.

You can follow us on instagram and Facebook. Feel free to ask us questions through DM and messenger, or drop a question down below. We will try to  answer your questions to the best of our ability.

Coming up next
M0110 and Model M

283666-4283668-5
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2022, 00:46:48 by vortexkeyboard »

Offline flo1d

Re: PCjr by Vortex Keyboard <KBt RE:>
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 00:54:35 »
i wonder that whether this keyboard would be sold without switches and keycaps someday in the future

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 11:30:14 »
i wonder that whether this keyboard would be sold without switches and keycaps someday in the future

We haven't thought about this yet. Thank you for your suggestion, we might put into consideration in the future!

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 15:56:59 »
Yeah if I could get this without the switches I'd be more interested in it :)
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Re: PCjr by Vortex Keyboard <KBt RE:> website update
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 09:18:48 »
This looks gorgeous!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am really excited about this, as I am a big fan of old IBM keyboards. Is there any typing videos of the unit so get a better feel of the typing experience?

Also any indication of how thick is the case plastics and from what material it is going to be made of?

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 09:59:22 »
Do you ship to the US? 

When I try to preorder the board, I can't check out because I keep getting this message:

It says that FedEx Priority shipping rate is no longer valid but I cannot chose another rate.

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 09:21:27 »
Will there be any other colors in the future like black/industrial grey? Will be grabbing a board anyways.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 09:28:57 »
Do you ship to the US? 

When I try to preorder the board, I can't check out because I keep getting this message:

(Attachment Link)

It says that FedEx Priority shipping rate is no longer valid but I cannot chose another rate.

I figured this out if anyone else has issue.  The system doesn't work for credit cards.  However, if you use PayPal it works and there are no issues.  So, use PayPal  :thumb:

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 00:32:32 »
Will there be any other colors in the future like black/industrial grey? Will be grabbing a board anyways.

As for now, different colors are in our future plans. We just don't have an actual production and official announcement date for it yet ;)
Please stay tuned!

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 00:41:45 »
This looks gorgeous!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am really excited about this, as I am a big fan of old IBM keyboards. Is there any typing videos of the unit so get a better feel of the typing experience?

Also any indication of how thick is the case plastics and from what material it is going to be made of?

There is no typing videos for our KBt RE: yet, since this keyboard is currently only available for preorder.
As for the case, the texture is similar to the original IBM PCjr keyboard ;)
Thickness and size is also really similar!
Hope this picture can help you!

284342-0

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 00:47:29 »
Do you ship to the US? 

(Attachment Link)

I figured this out if anyone else has issue.  The system doesn't work for credit cards.  However, if you use PayPal it works and there are no issues.  So, use PayPal  :thumb:

We are so sorry for your inconvenience. As for now, PayPal is our only payment method. But we will be adding more payment methods in the future. Hope you could understand.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 11:57:49 »
These look awesome. I imagine a metal badge in the top corner like a model F or M is out of the cards for the 68 key? On either board, if you're going to have a metal badge, you might want to make the dimensions so that they fit OG or reproduction IBM badges, because I imagine people will want to be able to swap those in.

I agree that none of those switches are particularly appealing. Kits without switches would be ideal, PCBs without any hot swap sockets would be better, but I know that may not be mass market enough.  ;)

An MX-compatible SSK sounds like (oddly appealing) heresy to me.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 13:27:54 »
It's so cool to see Vortex and KBtalking doing things again. I remember liking your older keyboards when I first joined the hobby in 2013.

This one looks great, I hope to grab one. Looking forward to seeing more from you guys.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 15:31:11 »
Honestly, a big reason I bought this was the Vortex name.  It's sentimental to me.  My second and third keyboards were Vortex, and I still own them.

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 01:00:46 »
These look awesome. I imagine a metal badge in the top corner like a model F or M is out of the cards for the 68 key? On either board, if you're going to have a metal badge, you might want to make the dimensions so that they fit OG or reproduction IBM badges, because I imagine people will want to be able to swap those in.

I agree that none of those switches are particularly appealing. Kits without switches would be ideal, PCBs without any hot swap sockets would be better, but I know that may not be mass market enough.  ;)

Our badge is not the same in size and shape, if you compare it to the OG IBM badge.
We appreciate you giving us suggestions, we will take into consideration for our future plans!

Here is the pic of PCjr badge and our KBt RE: badge side by side.
284473-0

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 01:04:23 »
It's so cool to see Vortex and KBtalking doing things again. I remember liking your older keyboards when I first joined the hobby in 2013.

This one looks great, I hope to grab one. Looking forward to seeing more from you guys.

Thank you for supporting us!
More exciting projects will come later this year! Stay tuned ;)

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 01:08:52 »
Honestly, a big reason I bought this was the Vortex name.  It's sentimental to me.  My second and third keyboards were Vortex, and I still own them.

Thank you for supporting us and we are honored to have a loyal supporter and customer like you!
We guess you must be really excited about receiving your KBt RE:  :D :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 08:11:09 »

Our badge is not the same in size and shape, if you compare it to the OG IBM badge.
We appreciate you giving us suggestions, we will take into consideration for our future plans!

(Attachment Link)

Nice, thanks for the picture. I was thinking more about the 68 key, since it isn't something IBM produced anyway (and would actually be usable for more of the mass market). It would be cool to have a metal IBM badge in the top right or left like a real IBM board of the early to mid 80s.

Any difference between the English and Cangjie boards besides sublegends on the caps? I think they look better with them. Any better pictures demonstrating the thickness of the case? Comparable to 80s boards of yore? What material is the case constructed of? Why is it that the 66 and 68 key have different switch options?

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 01:17:48 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice, thanks for the picture. I was thinking more about the 68 key, since it isn't something IBM produced anyway (and would actually be usable for more of the mass market). It would be cool to have a metal IBM badge in the top right or left like a real IBM board of the early to mid 80s.

Any difference between the English and Cangjie boards besides sublegends on the caps? I think they look better with them. Any better pictures demonstrating the thickness of the case? Comparable to 80s boards of yore? What material is the case constructed of? Why is it that the 66 and 68 key have different switch options?

There is actually a pic that shows the thickness comparison, you can find it above in the reply section ;)
As for the English and Cangjie version, the only difference is the keycap. Cangjie is a special mandarin alphabet that is used in traditional Chinese.
The material of the board is ABS. There is no specific reason why we offer different switches. While KBt RE: is a hot swappable keyboard, it gives you the opportunity to change it to your preferable switches !

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 18:06:02 »
i love the retro look theme but imo it just looks so squished together, shame that it comes with such mediocre switch choices and no barebones kit.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 19:54:28 »
Hard eyeing that Model M remake. .

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 20:45:24 »
Just wanted to let you know that I got my KBt RE:66 and I love it.  Very nice build quality.  Authentically vintage looks.  Very happy with the board and looking forward to your next release!

Offline vortexkeyboard

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 00:02:33 »
Just wanted to let you know that I got my KBt RE:66 and I love it.  Very nice build quality.  Authentically vintage looks.  Very happy with the board and looking forward to your next release!

We are glad to know that you love your KBt RE: 66 !
Stay tuned with us for our next release!