Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage and palms  (Read 4097 times)

Offline spaceloop

Kinesis Advantage and palms
« on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 17:45:21 »
Hi, I just got started with the Kinesis advantage the other day, and started learning colemak while I'm at it.

The one problem I foresee is regarding the size of my hands, which are quite large, so my palms are only partially supported and the rest of my arms are floating, since the kinesis is relatively high. I'm considering buying a keyboard wrist rest for extra support, which could support my palm and consequently the wrists. However, I've read that these can be un-ergonomic for the wrists (ergonomics is the whole reason I'm making the switch). Any thoughts or recommendations?

(this post took quite a while to type...)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Kinesis Advantage and palms
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 06:01:22 »
Back when I had a Kinesis Advantage, I couldn't rest my palms on it at all, because they'd start to hurt. Thus, I positioned my tray so that my hands were relaxed in the air instead. It helped to raise the front edge of the keyboard.

Offline Yotaka

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 03:55:14 »
Back when I had a Kinesis Advantage, I couldn't rest my palms on it at all, because they'd start to hurt. Thus, I positioned my tray so that my hands were relaxed in the air instead. It helped to raise the front edge of the keyboard.

Wow, and are you keep using it now? Looking forward for your use experience on this keyboard.

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 06:09:52 »
Yotaka, you must have huge hands  :eek:
When i was using Kinesis Advantage I rested my palms on the rests all the time when not typing and often even when typing. I did not have any problems with it. The first wrinkle on my wrist was just at the edge of the keyboard.
And I thought that my hand of almost 8 " from finger tip to the first wrist wrinkle is big compared to the rest :)

My opinion is palm rests are OK if you do not rest your wrists on them but only palms and when the resting does not bend your wrist.