Author Topic: Pure Replacement Keycaps (ShakeR or anyone else)  (Read 3065 times)

Offline therecorder

Pure Replacement Keycaps (ShakeR or anyone else)
« on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 04:42:30 »
Posted this question in "Keycaps" forum, but wasn't getting any answers.

Has anyone used these for a backlit Pure?  Do they permit the light to get through so that you can read the legends?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=288

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Pure Replacement Keycaps (ShakeR or anyone else)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 07:54:03 »
They are PBT, so the legends are not etched out like they are on the standard key caps that came with your Pure. In other words, the legends won't be lit up. Instead, you'll have a glow around the key caps, which I find to be very cool.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 10:59:47 »
They are PBT, so the legends are not etched out like they are on the standard key caps that came with your Pure. In other words, the legends won't be lit up. Instead, you'll have a glow around the key caps, which I find to be very cool.

This.
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline therecorder

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:08:22 »

This.

The problem is that the LEDs on the Pure are at the bottom, and the legends on your replacement PBT keycaps are centered.  I've tried this with other PBT Keycaps, and the top half of the keycap remains dark, and the legends on the front of the keycaps are overlit and cannot be read.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:17:02 »

This.

The problem is that the LEDs on the Pure are at the bottom, and the legends on your replacement PBT keycaps are centered.  I've tried this with other PBT Keycaps, and the top half of the keycap remains dark, and the legends on the front of the keycaps are overlit and cannot be read.

They're also not transparent legends. Almost no caps of higher quality that stock will allow the light through.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:36:23 »

This.

Yeah, you're absolutely right.  I never really cared for the LED on the bottom layout.  Not sure there's a way around this if you're stuck on PBT backlit.  It's hard enough to find them to begin with, much less bottom legends.
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline therecorder

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:55:28 »

This.

Yeah, you're absolutely right.  I never really cared for the LED on the bottom layout.  Not sure there's a way around this if you're stuck on PBT backlit.  It's hard enough to find them to begin with, much less bottom legends.

Think the tip-off on this should have been that the photo of your replacement keycaps shows that no LED lighting legends are on the front of any of the R1 keycaps.  Perhaps a note should be added to the description of these keycaps to the effect that they are not for use with Pure backlighting.