Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 127580 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:52:17 »
So reading is geeky after all Hoffman?  :'(
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:20:06 »
The Wealthy Freelancer:

http://thewealthyfreelancer.com/

And Peyton Young's something about equitable distribution, but can't get the English title (I only have a translated version) without waking my cat. (The book's under my pillow.)

Offline iri

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:58:50 »
The Wealthy Freelancer:

http://thewealthyfreelancer.com/

And Peyton Young's something about equitable distribution, but can't get the English title (I only have a translated version) without waking my cat. (The book's under my pillow.)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 19:08:06 »
Started reading Before We Get Started by Bret Lott. Starts off kinda slow but once you get past the first chapter it's hard to put it down. Sometimes it feels like a motivational book but it provides an insight on writing throughout the whole text.

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 14:36:13 »
Reading: About Face by Col. David Hackworth

Just read: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 16:36:13 »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 17:06:25 »
I just finished HHhH by Laurent Binet and spent my Apple e-book lawsuit payout on a dead tree copy of The Winter Fortress by Neal Bascomb. So, kind of a non-fiction WWII commando story theme going on here atm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 July 2016, 11:44:29 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 03:09:43 »
Currently got some Star Wars books to read, I don't remember what series it is, but it was recommended to me.
Then I've got some Star Wars comics from Dark Horse Comics that I need to get through as well.

I kinda love Star Wars.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 03:43:28 »
Just finished "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer. That's **** dope but I read it only in the daytime because I got scared easily and couldn't sleep. Probably will continue with the second book from trilogy.

Read a bunch of self-learning books, mainly procrastination-related. I'm having problems getting stuff done because I ALWAYS find an excuse. I hate that & it's starting to make my life quite ****ty due to making future plans with my GF and me not following through.

Been focusing more on programming books because of starting to get into freelancing. Want to buy "Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby" by Sandy Metz and waiting on my colleague to give me "The RSpec Book" so I can learn a bit more about testing.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 11:33:56 »
Started re-reading Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Think this will be the second time I re-read it this year, although the first time was for a class assignment

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 11:37:59 »

Just finished "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer. That's **** dope but I read it only in the daytime because I got scared easily and couldn't sleep. Probably will continue with the second book from trilogy.

Great books! My old college roommate gave me a 3-in-1 edition and it took a while to plow through. The ending was peculiar and unsatisfying, but then so was everything else .....

I am partway through this behemoth right now. If you read the whole wikipedia entry you might be able to skip the book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline spiritanimals

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:22:31 »
Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan. Such a humbling read.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:39:41 »

Been meaning to read that.
Meanwhile I'm still slugging through SoIaF, which I started four years ago...

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:42:24 »
Finally getting around to Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:50:49 »
Finally getting around to Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Gibson definitely had a vision, this narrative is a fantastic read to say the least. I never read the complete book, but it's something that I'm definitely going to do in the near future, I love the theme so Neuromancer is a must.

Offline spiritanimals

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:54:06 »

Been meaning to read that.
Meanwhile I'm still slugging through SoIaF, which I started four years ago...

What book are you on? It took me a while to finish the series as well. It can be overwhelming at times. It gets easier after subsequent read-throughs. :P If you ever feel burnt out, I'd suggest switching back and forth between audio book and book or even checking out GRRM's novella series: The Tales of Dunk and Egg, set in the same universe just a few generations before the events in ASoIaF.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:54:12 »
Just finished Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza by Colin Hagendorf. Halfway through Highsnobiety #12.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 06:06:05 »
Recently finished: "Words Without Music" by Philip Glass - wonderful! - http://www.amazon.com/Words-without-Music-A-Memoir/dp/1481529153

Read halfway and had to return to the library, will finish later: "Destiny & Power" Jon Meacham - excellent - http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Power-American-Odyssey-Herbert/dp/1400067650

Just finished: "Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days" by Alastair Reynolds

Currently reading: "The Year's Best Science Fiction" edited by Gardner Dozois

Up next, maybe?: "Steve Jobs"

Hows Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days?

Im reading the dark tower series at the moment, on wizard and glass at the moment. Just finished the Martian.

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 07:25:03 »

Hows Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days?

Good but very different, set in Revelation Space universe.

Diamond Dogs is ultra-creepy with considerable death and obsession and body-mutilation ("enhancement").
Frankly, although Reynolds is a master in that macabre realm, it sometimes gets to be too much for me.

Turquoise Days deals with the Pattern Jugglers, who fascinate me and I wish that he would delve into their realm more.

PS - I am currently reading the gigantic tome "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker and it is awesome and uplifting - a rare optimistic look at the future.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 08:30:40 »
Sounds almost like dead space. I might pick it up its fairly cheap on amazon.

The better angles sounds nice, I just re read 1984 before i started on the dark tower, wouldn't hurt to have a nice uplifting read.

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 08:41:35 »

The better angles sounds nice,

In a later review for The Guardian, written when the book was shortlisted for the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books, Tim Radford wrote, "in its confidence and sweep, the vast timescale, its humane standpoint and its confident world-view, it is something more than a science book: it is an epic history by an optimist who can list his reasons to be cheerful and support them with persuasive instances.... I don't know if he's right, but I do think this book is a winner."

Bill Gates wrote that "Steven Pinker shows us ways we can make those positive trajectories a little more likely. That's a contribution, not just to historical scholarship, but to the world." He considers it one of the most important books he's ever read. On the BBC program Desert Island Discs, he also selected this as the book he would take with him to a deserted island.

Clive Cookson, reviewing it in the Financial Times, called it "a marvelous synthesis of science, history and storytelling, demonstrating how fortunate the vast majority of us are today to experience serious violence only through the mass media."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 18:56:43 »
Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Really interesting stuff about how the US keeps poor countries in debt by offering them a way out of Third World Living. How the government controls invisible money and puppets other countries politics via resources and debt. It is not some tin-foil-hat conspiracy **** either, this is written by a guy who lays awake in bed at night trying to come to terms with what he has done to make his mass fortune. Good read, great eye-opener. Not that educated people don't already have a jist of this kind of thing, but this book gives you exacting and dirty details.

Also don't forget to pick up The Man Who Knew Infinity and check out the film coming out on Bluray and Netflix on Aug. 23.
It's a true story about a brilliant Indian mathematician who started from an impoverished background in India and was plucked out of obscurity to change the world.

Offline Capnmycraw

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 11:11:39 »
Cryptonomicon

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 23:24:05 »
People suing each other.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 00:22:51 »

One of my favorites.  :thumb:

I'm fighting through "Ancillary Justice" the first book in a series. I find it a little far fetched for me to follow so i'm pretty sure book 1 is where I abandon ship on this. I did the same with "Her majesty's dragon" the first book in a series that I had high hopes for - Napoleon era war ships and adding dragons.. unfortunately book 1 was 300 pages of nothing, 10 pages of battle, and 100 more pages of nothing. Probably the most boring book i've ever read. No thats not true, but close. I did finish book 2 of The Expanse... loved it just as much as book1. Those guys are really amazing writers. Also working on a book called "Symptoms of Being Human" by Jeff Garvin. A friend of mines brother in law wrote it about a gender fluid teen. Seems well thought out.

-Dana

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 20:12:10 »
Extremely generic choice, but reading through Huck Finn at the moment. I just love the attention to detail Twain had towards getting the dialogue of the characters right down to their very accents. Even though some of the reading is a tad bit hard to follow, the book is still amazingly fun to read!
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 20:59:21 »
Caravan to Vaccares by Alistair MacLean
REΛLFORCE

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 21:25:09 »
In addition to the comics I'm reading, I just started Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicles. I used to read a **** ton but stopped for a while only to have picked it up again recently. I'm also listening to Diskworld on audio book while drifting off to sleep which makes for some great dreaming fodder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline Tactile

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 00:05:05 »
Cockroaches by Jo Nesbø
REΛLFORCE

Offline Beanhead

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:21:05 »
Fiction: Just finished Grey Matter Splatter, now reading Dune for the millionth time.

Nonfiction: Finally reading Warthog. Great read so far.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 13:57:26 »
Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke, Gentry Lee
REΛLFORCE

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 20:09:14 »
Case books are consuming my life. No time for comics or ASoIaF:(

Offline Beanhead

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 08:53:05 »
Finished Warthog. Great read if any of you are interested in the A10 or combat aviation in general.

About to start Dagger-22.

Offline JamesGoblin

• My name is Goblin. James Goblin.
    • Camelot Unchained Wiki
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 10:05:27 »
To my shame, I "discovered" Proust much later than I should.
Trivia: Warhammer Online is the best game ever made.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 00:17:27 »

Proust is overrated.

Offline decker

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 01:05:15 »
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) - Corey, James S.A.

I loved the tv show so much I want to get ahead of it with the books...

Offline Tactile

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 01:25:51 »
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) - Corey, James S.A.

I loved the tv show so much I want to get ahead of it with the books...

I've really enjoyed all of these books and am eagerly awaiting "Babylon's Ashes", the next in the series (Dec 6 release date here in the US). I've had a few letdowns in the Honor Harrington series and The Expanse series reinvigorated my taste for swashbuckling SciFi.
REΛLFORCE

Offline JamesGoblin

• My name is Goblin. James Goblin.
    • Camelot Unchained Wiki
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:30:49 »

Proust is overrated.

That's quite possible, tho I didn't start because of ratings or recommendations - it was more-less random stumbling across. To make it worse, I am enjoying it.
Trivia: Warhammer Online is the best game ever made.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 19:17:51 »
Adrian Goldsworthy - Augustus: First Emperor of Rome

I tend to buy my history books in paper. The rest I read on my ereader apart from some sf books / authors I collect

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline Grona

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 20:44:00 »
Currently reading:
Going Postal - Terry Prachett

To read:
Dune - Frank Herbert
American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 05:35:56 »
Currently reading:

To read:
Dune - Frank Herbert

Dune is amazing. If you intend to read the rest of the Dune saga. Don't quit if Children of Dune or God Emperor of Dune bore you.  Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are amazing books as well.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 08:10:08 »
I read a lot of heavy ponderous tomes, and occasionally I need a break.

Currently reading "Life" by Keith Richards and it is amazingly good. Deeply insightful along with the "wild and crazy" stuff.

Offline Grona

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:14:53 »
Currently reading:

To read:
Dune - Frank Herbert

Dune is amazing. If you intend to read the rest of the Dune saga. Don't quit if Children of Dune or God Emperor of Dune bore you.  Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are amazing books as well.

Good to know, I can't wait to get started on it. Have you read any of the books that Brian Herbert continued writing? I've been told to stay away from those.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 09:50:20 »
Currently reading:

To read:
Dune - Frank Herbert

Good to know, I can't wait to get started on it. Have you read any of the books that Brian Herbert continued writing? I've been told to stay away from those.

Yes, I have them all and read them all. I don't think they're that bad as long as you temper your expectations and don't expect them to be on par with the original series. They're a nice and easy read. But read them after you've read the originals.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 09:50:56 »
Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock

Offline Grona

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 11:57:35 »
Currently reading:

To read:
Dune - Frank Herbert

Yes, I have them all and read them all. I don't think they're that bad as long as you temper your expectations and don't expect them to be on par with the original series. They're a nice and easy read. But read them after you've read the originals.

Good to know, thanks for the info :D.

Offline SRTroN

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 05:57:50 »
Just started the Shadow Saga which is a companion series to the Ender's Game novels. So far so good!

Offline Tactile

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 00:15:16 »
Clea's Moon by Edward Wright
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 12:38:20 »
A Rage in Harlem by Chester Himes
REΛLFORCE