Author Topic: What did you get in the mail today?  (Read 20173965 times)

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
Re: What did you get in the mail today?
« Reply #32050 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:46:28 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:19:50 by Khers »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32051 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 11:21:46 »
Gratz Khers!  :thumb:
Are you planning on dental banding (soft landing pad modding)  it? =)

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #32052 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 11:36:25 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:19:44 by Khers »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32053 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 14:18:15 »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32054 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 15:49:04 »

Thanks!

Nope nothing like that, they are Type-S :)

My current main keyboard is a dental banded HHKB though, so it will be interesting to compare! At the moment I'm not completely sold on the dental banding thing though, I think the factory silenced switches in my RF87 feels better, at least after I lubed it (stabilized keys were a bit rough)...

I've never tried RF stock silencing but I heard that the sliders have a thinner base than the one on the HHKB Type-S. I believe with a dental modded board you have a similar effect than with Type-S or something close. I'll let you tell me if otherwise. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32055 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 16:03:47 »

Thanks!

My current main keyboard is a dental banded HHKB though, so it will be interesting to compare! At the moment I'm not completely sold on the dental banding thing though, I think the factory silenced switches in my RF87 feels better, at least after I lubed it (stabilized keys were a bit rough)...

I've never tried RF stock silencing but I heard that the sliders have a thinner base than the one on the HHKB Type-S. I believe with a dental modded board you have a similar effect than with Type-S or something close. I'll let you tell me if otherwise. ;)

I think it depends a lot on taste, but I would kinda consider the Stock TypeS silencing a slightly cleaner solution as well, since dental banding can keep the rubber cups constantly depressed slightly for example because of added thickness, which is why people usually recommend ironed landing pads.
Im slightly concerned and unsure how durable that would be tho personally.

However some people also seem not to like the 'whistling' sound of the TypeS vent holes so it depends a lot on which sound you prefer I guess.

Dental banding or ironed landing pads definitely seems to have a very similar effect tho while also being cheaper, so I think you can't really go wrong either way... =)

Show Image

Holy smokes... Ö_Ö
That color! Such Beauty! Its almost too much Love to look at...

* FoC_Tow covers his eyes...

Much Congratz brother-brother!  :)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #32056 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 16:05:22 »
Show Image

Looks great! Makes me sad that I could only win one set haha
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #32057 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 16:27:20 »
Spigen case for my Note 4, lovely bit of kit

Back picks up solder flux easily lol

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #32058 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 16:59:44 »
i enjoy it when i get mail!
here is what i got today!
toxic tenkey set, plus a few other things.
and some mini pcb's , along with a teensy 3.1 to tinker with at some point.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32059 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 17:01:03 »

Thanks!

I think it depends a lot on taste, but I would kinda consider the Stock TypeS silencing a slightly cleaner solution as well, since dental banding can keep the rubber cups constantly depressed slightly for example because of added thickness, which is why people usually recommend ironed landing pads.

However some people also seem not to like the 'whistling' sound of the TypeS vent holes so it depends a lot on which sound you prefer I guess.

Dental banding or ironed landing pads definitely seems to have a very similar effect tho while also being cheaper, so I think you can't really go wrong either way... =)

Show Image

Holy smokes... Ö_Ö

There is no whistling sound on my Type-S. I talked with Spicebar some time ago and he did compare the dental modded and soft ironed pads. He said that the dental band are thicker than the soft pads once ironed so you lose more tactility with the dental band mod than with the soft ironed pad mod.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #32060 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 17:25:55 »
IMSTO Cherry Red PBT set and some Swiss Ricola  ;D from MrChunky
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #32061 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 18:13:07 »
Show Image

Imsto has red alert? Want.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #32062 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 18:21:45 »
Show Image

Imsto has red alert? Want.
Yea Ivan's running a GB(PBT4) with it right now, it's in production currently but you can probably pick up a set off someone when they start shipping.

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More

Offline btctopre

« Reply #32063 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 19:16:17 »

got my topre giveaway/winner caps in from synjin today. i just told him to surprise me with an opaque esc/fn set so i could hammer away on it and give him some feedback, instead he obliged me in that regard as well as including a esc/fn/shift set of what can best be described as "red, blue, and cum" transparent caps :P

i'll post more pics/info in his diy thread here within the next few days probably, but initial impressions are very high. i think the yellow solids were earlier run, as they're a little rough around the bottoms, but they snap-in, have a great/consistent color, and have no issues with bubbling. the transparent caps were a more recent run, and semen aside, they are almost flawless (only noticeable flaw is where his sprues or whatever were on the bottom corners). for someone who had only been making caps for 3-4 weeks when he produced these, his quality is so far beyond where you'd expect it to be. between him and kudos (rip), i'm excited for what our up and coming cap makers have in store us!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32064 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 20:01:29 »
Show Image

Wow, we nearly have the same setup!
https://flic.kr/p/s53Uen
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32065 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 20:36:26 »
Show Image

got my topre giveaway/winner caps in from synjin today. i just told him to surprise me with an opaque esc/fn set so i could hammer away on it and give him some feedback, instead he obliged me in that regard as well as including a esc/fn/shift set of what can best be described as "red, blue, and cum" transparent caps :P

i'll post more pics/info in his diy thread here within the next few days probably, but initial impressions are very high. i think the yellow solids were earlier run, as they're a little rough around the bottoms, but they snap-in, have a great/consistent color, and have no issues with bubbling. the transparent caps were a more recent run, and semen aside, they are almost flawless (only noticeable flaw is where his sprues or whatever were on the bottom corners). for someone who had only been making caps for 3-4 weeks when he produced these, his quality is so far beyond where you'd expect it to be. between him and kudos (rip), i'm excited for what our up and coming cap makers have in store us!

Looking great btc! Gratz again man!
Looking forward to more pics and your impressions after you had time to use them for a while.

For some reason that first color is bringing up pictures of blood stained shower curtains in my head btw... xD

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #32066 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 22:04:23 »
Show Image

Haha yea I guess we do. Yours is very nice, love your Kmac 2 and the color balance of your setup.

Others
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #32067 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 23:20:07 »
Received some trades from Sed8op8  :thumb:  Super awesome trader and lovely surprises with the 2 caps I was trading (the krap skull and the gasmask).   Finally got to try some of these gaterons and which are quite nice for being linear  :rolleyes:  Might swap out my home key switches on the qfr for these.  Thanks again for the awesome trade Sed8, hope you enjoy yours  :thumb:

99513-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2015, 23:29:57 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32068 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 02:16:07 »
Show Image

Haha yea I guess we do. Yours is very nice, love your Kmac 2 and the color balance of your setup.

I wish my KMAC is red though, thinking to re anodise it but I dont think I can get high quality anodise service in my country

Offline Muffin860

« Reply #32069 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 08:20:26 »

Some fun caps!
IBM Model M

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32070 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 08:38:59 »
Show Image

jokrik with a Stormtrooper cap?  I'm shocked! :P

:-*

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #32071 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:12:04 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:19:30 by Khers »

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #32072 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:16:01 »

After having used my Type-S for, at maximum, 5 minutes, I decided I need to remove the dental bands from my other HHKB, they completely ruin the feel of the switch! I haven't really done a straight up comparison between the dental banded HHKB and other Topre switches before (I have the HHKB at work and the RF87 at home). The direct comparison is mind blowing, however. Dental banding sucks. Dental bands must be removed! Maybe ironed soft landing pads are better, I don't know. All I know is that I must open up my HHKB asap to remove the **** I put in there...

In other news, HHKB Type-S is pure love.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been thinking about dental banding my non type s hhkbs, but have been keeping an eye out for a comparison such as this.
RETIRED

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32073 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:50:45 »

After having used my Type-S for, at maximum, 5 minutes, I decided I need to remove the dental bands from my other HHKB, they completely ruin the feel of the switch! I haven't really done a straight up comparison between the dental banded HHKB and other Topre switches before (I have the HHKB at work and the RF87 at home). The direct comparison is mind blowing, however. Dental banding sucks. Dental bands must be removed! Maybe ironed soft landing pads are better, I don't know. All I know is that I must open up my HHKB asap to remove the **** I put in there...

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been thinking about dental banding my non type s hhkbs, but have been keeping an eye out for a comparison such as this.

+1 Thx for the feedback Khers!
I think I will actually go for it and grab a Type S as well next time there in stock at EK...

Comparing the sound from videos I always felt like Type-S sounds best (altho dental bands get kinda close) but obviously you can't see what it does to the feel of the board in those vids.

The main reason I was considering going with dental bands (except for the fact that its cheaper) was that I'm really not a fan of the additional TypeS logo in the top right corner. Kinda hate the extra logo personally tbh... xD

Offline btctopre

« Reply #32074 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 11:05:40 »
I think I will actually go for it and grab a Type S as well next time there in stock at EK...
i'd recommend ordering from japan through a proxy, you'd probably save close to $100 in the end.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32075 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 13:05:04 »

Thanks!

Show Image

Holy smokes... Ö_Ö

There is no whistling sound on my Type-S. I talked with Spicebar some time ago and he did compare the dental modded and soft ironed pads. He said that the dental band are thicker than the soft pads once ironed so you lose more tactility with the dental band mod than with the soft ironed pad mod.

I feel that the Type-S still removes tactility from the stock switches as the pads in this board are not ironed and are thicker. If I had to classify in terms of tactility I would do as is:
stock > ironed pads silenced > Type-S > dental banded.

I used the ironed soft landing pads mod on my Novatouch and I have a Type-S. I will sell my Type-S soon because I don't like to lose the tactility.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #32076 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:40:22 »
My trip down the rabbit hole begins. Got my KUL ES-87 smoke black in the mail last night. Thanks for the heads up LXXXIX
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:42:28 by PicklesKill »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #32077 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:41:40 »
My trip down the rabbit hole begins. Got my KUL ES-87 smoke black in the mail last night. Thanks for the heads up LXXXIX

I like your first choice! Be careful out there!  ;)

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #32078 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:43:55 »

It's rumored things might get pricey. Luckily I had all my money in my neighbors mattress.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #32079 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:47:30 »

It's rumored things might get pricey. Luckily I had all my money in my neighbors mattress.

At first I was counting up how much I had spent and...
there it was, a tear down my face :-[

Luckily(?) I'm done buying for a looong while.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #32080 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:52:50 »
Oh Sorijealut, you're so cute.  :D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #32081 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:07:38 »

:3 monies have evaporated.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32082 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:23:17 »

I don't know about him, but I actually am done buying for awhile.

hahahahahaha

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #32083 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:50:18 »
If only I had a sugar momma to purchase me expensive plastic things.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32084 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:49:58 »

hahahahahaha

That's what I said everytime I bought something, and it happened 3 days ago (again) 😂😂😂

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32085 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:56:12 »
i'd recommend ordering from japan through a proxy, you'd probably save close to $100 in the end.

Oh wow... Thx btc, definitely have to look into that! =)

I never ordered thru a proxy before tbh tho. Can someone recommend one or point me in a direction maybe? xD

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #32086 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:58:34 »

I never ordered thru a proxy before tbh tho. Can someone recommend one or point me in a direction maybe? xD

I have used Tenso two times to order from Rakuten.  I recommend them, but would wait until they have a shipping promotion going on.  There are others as well, but I think Tenso is the one most use.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32087 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:31:09 »

I have used Tenso two times to order from Rakuten.  I recommend them, but would wait until they have a shipping promotion going on.  There are others as well, but I think Tenso is the one most use.

Thankies guys! =)

Just checked out Tenso and Rakuten and am still trying to find my way navigating their sites xD

I only found one Type S at Rakuten so far which was out of stock and another one at white rabbit japan (?!) which is listed as more expensive.
Even on Rakuten the Type S is listed for 290$ tho, so are you sure it would be significantly cheaper ordering over a proxy?

(Wouldn't the final price be at least the listed 290 plus whatever proxying would cost?)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32088 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:45:39 »

Thankies guys! =)

Just checked out Tenso and Rakuten and am still trying to find my way navigating their sites xD

I only found one Type S at Rakuten so far which was out of stock and another one at white rabbit japan (?!) which is listed as more expensive.
Even on Rakuten the Type S is listed for 290$ tho, so are you sure it would be significantly cheaper ordering over a proxy?

(Wouldn't the final price be at least the listed 290 plus whatever proxying would cost?)

If you can wait a month i should be able to start proxying stuff.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #32089 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:46:59 »

Thankies guys! =)

If you wait for one of the shipping promotions on tenso, you could get it shipped for pretty cheap

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #32090 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:55:27 »

Thankies guys! =)

Buy from PFU direct, you will get your best pricing. IIRC when tenso runs their free shipping promo, you can get a type s shipped for ~$260. They very well may be sold out though, I think more people are going this route for a type s due to the price break.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #32091 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:02:07 »

Thankies guys! =)

Buy from PFU direct, you will get your best pricing. IIRC when tenso runs their free shipping promo, you can get a type s shipped for ~$260. They very well may be sold out though, I think more people are going this route for a type s due to the price break.

I got mine in this way as well. It should be around $260 with the 3000 yen shipping discount promotion  :thumb:

hahahahahaha

huhuhehehehoho

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #32092 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:18:06 »
The first of many more parts to come for the new Focus ST; an SCT X4 with a pro tune from UnleashedTuning. I'm actually debating unloading my horde of keyboards/parts/keys/keysets so I can get a downpipe, intercooler, and tint sooner  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32093 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:36:49 »

I got mine in this way as well. It should be around $260 with the 3000 yen shipping discount promotion  :thumb:

Much Thanks again everybody! <3<3

I don't speak Japanese, but from the looks of it it might actually be available on PFU for 27593 Yen.

Checking the shipping options at Tenso, it looks like reasonable options seems to start around 4150 Yen even without discount.
(also it looks to me like the 3000 yen shipping discounts they do are usually store specific like f.e. rakuten)

So it looks like I might be able to get one for less then 32000 Yen, which would be exactly 240€ or around 267$...
I guess I should definitely give this a try, and won't necessarily have to wait for a promotion? Unless theres something wrong with the shipping option I considered...

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #32094 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:40:05 »

Much Thanks again everybody! <3<3

I don't speak Japanese, but from the looks of it it might actually be available on PFU for 27593 Yen.

Checking the shipping options at Tenso, it looks like reasonable options seems to start around 4150 Yen even without discount.
(also it looks to me like the 3000 yen shipping discounts they do are usually store specific like f.e. rakuten)

Show Image

So it looks like I might be able to get one for less then 32000 Yen, which would be exactly 240€ or around 267$...
I guess I should definitely give this a try, and won't necessarily have to wait for a promotion? Unless theres something wrong with the shipping option I considered...
I would recommend using EMS personally, unless you are okay with waiting a few weeks. Tenso runs shipping promos rather frequently, I would register with them and wait for am email to get sent out for a new one. They also occasionally run free shipping promos, but the last one was in February.

Edit: I misspoke about the "few weeks", although some of the cheaper options have weight restrictions and I am unsure on the HHKB weight. Just things to think about.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:41:48 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32095 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:54:45 »
If you can wait a month i should be able to start proxying stuff.

Also thx soo much for offering to help EVO! =)

Im pretty patient usually, so waiting a month wouldn't be an issue, but since the type-S seems to be sold out a lot currently I just feel like it might be worth trying to grab one asap.

I'll definitely get back to it tho brother-brother!  :thumb:

I would recommend using EMS personally, unless you are okay with waiting a few weeks. Tenso runs shipping promos rather frequently, I would register with them and wait for am email to get sent out for a new one. They also occasionally run free shipping promos, but the last one was in February.

Edit: I misspoke about the "few weeks", although some of the cheaper options have weight restrictions and I am unsure on the HHKB weight. Just things to think about.

Thx ghost! Yeah I just put it 2kg as a guesstimate (don't think its heavier tho) and the cheap airmail option also has size restrictions etc.
I still think it should fit the specifications most likely unless its really heavier then 2kg. :)

Since its already like the middle of the night over here (almost 3am) Im probably just going to register for now and maybe wait a few days for an update (or at the very least until tomorrow xD).

So THX soo much for all the recommendations again everybody! =)
If this works out for me, which I really hope it will, you guys easily saved me almost a hundred bucks, which means more money to spend on other keyboards projects!  :-* :-*

So huge Thx, and much Love! You guys totally made my day!  :thumb:

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #32096 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 05:14:18 »
holy grail

need some new keycaps tho :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #32097 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 05:30:04 »
holy grail

Show Image

need some new keycaps tho :)
Holy ****! Nice keyboard, grats! :eek:

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015