Author Topic: Help me revive this keyboard  (Read 1979 times)

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
Help me revive this keyboard
« on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 00:13:54 »
Hello,
So I got this keyboard from shadowved quite a long while ago, mainly for the switches. But now I was wondering if I could revive it so it could be used.

Pictures are here:
http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/icyfrosty/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Help me revive this keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:20:30 »
you'll need a case, some switches some stems, a bag of jumpers and some g80-1800 keycaps.

I have a spare cable that I can send you if I can find it, or just wire up to a teensy or whatever.

pcb appears to be in good shape, despite some flux or something on it. I would get rid of those red wires or resolder them.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 07:54:16 »
Actually I started this thread because I do not know how to solder the wires, it comes from a dolch, so I was wondering if anyone know which wire is which, it used a RJ11 cable previously.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:36:30 »
Let me respectfully suggest that the level of skill needed is beyond your ability right now seeing that you have no or minimal soldering experience. Choose a less ambitious project.

Also the parts needed will cost too much. Although many geekhackers are generous and will give you parts for a nominal sum, all things considered the shipping of different components to Singapore will cost you a pretty penny.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:47:49 »
May I ask what parts are needed?

Fyi, i only want to know how to get it wired up to be used on a pc
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 July 2014, 09:21:46 by HotKillerZzz »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 11:38:34 »
This thread explains the PS/2 cable connection. My photo there shows standard Cherry PS/2 colors so you can just match it up easy.
You will need switches, and a PS/2 cable... and case and keycap if you have none. The jumper wires in switches don't really do a damn thing so you don't even have to worry about putting them in if you don't want to. I've had G80 models that didn't even have them installed from factory.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 00:58:51 »
Have already got cases and switches, came as whole set. Thanks btw.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:04:12 »
Actually I started this thread because I do not know how to solder the wires, it comes from a dolch, so I was wondering if anyone know which wire is which, it used a RJ11 cable previously.
If there is a modular connector still on the controller board then you could crimp a cable into a plug and just plug it in, but it would help a great deal to borrow a multimeter and a crimping tool.
I managed to do without either tool when I made my Dolch-PS/2 - cable. No soldering required.

The multimeter would be used to find out which wire in the PS/2 cable is which. I used trial and error. 5V and GND are usually white and black respectively, so I got it wrong only once.
I used a flat screwdriver to crimp the plug, which was a bit more fiddly than with a crimping tool.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:08:46 by Findecanor »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 14:49:00 »
I've done a few Dolch to G80-1800 converts with PS/2 cable and into regular 1800 casebody. If you take the PS/2 cable from the G81 it's the same as regular G80-1800... just put the colors in the same order. Can't be simpler.
Personally I don't see a reason not to permanently convert it unless you will use it on the PAC unit as well. Only then does it make any sense to make a custom cable or whatever.