Author Topic: Just finished building my custom keyboard and want to thank everyone!  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Moralless

Hello, just finished building my keyboard and get everything working - and I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone who helped me, since I would've had no chance at building this if it wasn't for your help.

Before I start you can see the finished keyboard and progress log HERE.

Thank you to especially matt3o and his wonderful guides since I would've never attempted this project had I not come across them and also to hasu for his firmware since I would've had no hope in programming my own firmware for this.  :thumb:

I'd also like to thank everyone in making stuff together as all of you have been greatly helpful in answering my questions or help solve some of my problems and just giving me the inspiration to come up with my custom layout.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: Just finished building my custom keyboard and want to thank everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 20:38:26 »
What a beautiful board! An inspirational build-log too, it almost convinces a talentless clod like me that maybe custom boards aren't impossible to DIY. Great job Moralles!  :thumb:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 20:45:44 »
Love that fn button placement and the split spacebar.  Really wish more designs would move away from the long single spacebar and use that space for something else.  Props. :thumb:

Offline Moralless

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:10:41 »
What a beautiful board! An inspirational build-log too, it almost convinces a talentless clod like me that maybe custom boards aren't impossible to DIY. Great job Moralles!  :thumb:

You should definitely do it if you have the moolah! It really opened up my eyes on how keyboards actually work and why some are designed the way they are. And it's actually far from impossible to do this if you go through matt3o's guides like I did (just remember to use thinner wires haha).

Love that fn button placement and the split spacebar.  Really wish more designs would move away from the long single spacebar and use that space for something else.  Props. :thumb:

Glad to hear you like the fn button placement, it was sort of a eureka moment when I thought of it. It's the only thing that stopped me from buying a 60% keyboard since the fn is usually in an awkward place for me and I like to use the F row keys when playing games like mmo's. I wish I didn't use both sides for spacebars (right for typing and left for gaming) and that I could use it for something else, but atm I cant be bothered forcing my self to only use one side  :p.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Matter

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 08:49:25 »
Great job! Makes me feel like building my own

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 08:52:12 »
Congrats on building a custom board. I'm really into that layout and I'm sure it's incredible satisfying to actually have it typing :). And I always say that as long as the board works, who cares about the soldering? You won't see it again anyways! :P

Offline Moralless

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 09:07:30 »
similar this is
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61169.msg1433520#msg1433520

Oh wow I didn't manage to find that post when looking to see if anybody has done a design similar to mine. All I managed to find was ne0phyte's THKB on DT. I really admire how clean his matrix is, I might just have to rewire everything with thinner wires to ensure the longevity of the board.

Congrats on building a custom board. I'm really into that layout and I'm sure it's incredible satisfying to actually have it typing :). And I always say that as long as the board works, who cares about the soldering? You won't see it again anyways! :P

Haha I strongly live by the sentiment "out of sight out of mind" when dealing with electronics, but I think this time I'm going to have to fix the soldering up, since this keyboard is like my baby  :p and I wouldn't want him to be all screwed up on the inside  :'(.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 09:10:33 »
Nice board!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 09:46:48 »
Awesome custom keyboard! :thumb:

How I wish one-off laser cutting wasn't prohibitively expensive here...then maybe I'd try my hand at something like this.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 11:38:47 »
Hello, just finished building my keyboard and get everything working - and I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone who helped me, since I would've had no chance at building this if it wasn't for your help.

Before I start you can see the finished keyboard and progress log HERE.

Thank you to especially matt3o and his wonderful guides since I would've never attempted this project had I not come across them and also to hasu for his firmware since I would've had no hope in programming my own firmware for this.  :thumb:

I'd also like to thank everyone in making stuff together as all of you have been greatly helpful in answering my questions or help solve some of my problems and just giving me the inspiration to come up with my custom layout.

Moralles

That's an awesome job! I know I could never do something half as good!

That said, may I respectfully urge you to take lots of tiny pieces of paper/ thin cardboard, and stick them between all the leads on the wires that are soldered to your teensy? There's too much exposed leads there, and with time they may move closer and short each other.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 12:12:43 »
wow

That's really impressive! It also makes me feel a bit better about my own "first try" on direct wiring. Seems that it's hard to get it as good as lowpoly.

You may want to consider adding some insulation between the wires where they connect to the teensy. Especially with that bulge, we don't want it to short out when you press too hard on a key or the case.

What gauge wire is that? I would imagine it's hard to work with. When I direct-wire my next one I will put thinner wire on it for sure. :p That's part of what makes it so impressive: the wire is thick making it harder to work with and solder in the confined space. I am actually planning on using 30AWG wire-wrap wire because I know it'll be thin enough then!