Author Topic: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread  (Read 72551 times)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 19:41:07 »
I haven't posted here in a while, as I put my last couple of designs on the shelf while I finished up the Scythes and Scepters sale. Over the past couple of weeks I was able to refine the sculpts, but they are still a work in progress. I still have a few more details to add, and they'll be ready for production.

SHISHI

160625-0

DRAGON (not yet named)

160627-1

As you can tell, I had a specific theme in mind when sculpting these two keycaps. I've been messing around with Shishi for months now, and it's finally almost to where I want it. I'm still trying to find a good name for the Dragon key, but nothing has seemed to fit yet.

I'm sure you'll be seeing more of these two very soon once they're completed  ;)

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 19:45:43 »
I haven't posted here in a while, as I put my last couple of designs on the shelf while I finished up the Scythes and Scepters sale. Over the past couple of weeks I was able to refine the sculpts, but they are still a work in progress. I still have a few more details to add, and they'll be ready for production.

SHISHI
(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

As you can tell, I had a specific theme in mind when sculpting these two keycaps. I've been messing around with Shishi for months now, and it's finally almost to where I want it. I'm still trying to find a good name for the Dragon key, but nothing has seemed to fit yet.

I'm sure you'll be seeing more of these two very soon once they're completed  ;)

Wow that's impressive detail! Amazing design, can't wait till these have a sale :eek:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 19:45:58 »
Freaking finally. Been waiting for these bad boys to come out.

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 19:46:49 »

SHISHI

(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

Clean, these things would look awesome with multishot.

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 19:48:18 »

SHISHI

(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

That Dragon key has some nice detail! Can't wait for these to come out.

Offline Jeu

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 20:16:29 »
What depth!!!! Looks promising to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:29:36 »
That dragon is AMAZING. Maybe call it something like "Pet of the Emperor" or "Yazi" (which serve as ornaments of sword-grips according to Wikipedia). Can't wait to see the colorways!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:57:07 »

SHISHI

(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

Uh huh,Chinese style,very great casting.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:58:40 by lovechan »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 09:07:10 »
Really love your work. The new sculpts are incredible. Definitely hoping for a chance at joining on your next project. Thank you also for this thread to stay up on your current and previous projects. I have seen your work being artistically colored for bidding and am happy now that I found your thread.  Keep being amazing, the caps are every bit as awesome, absolutely incredible.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 09:52:15 »
Really love your work. The new sculpts are incredible. Definitely hoping for a chance at joining on your next project. Thank you also for this thread to stay up on your current and previous projects. I have seen your work being artistically colored for bidding and am happy now that I found your thread.  Keep being amazing, the caps are every bit as awesome, absolutely incredible.

Thank you for the kind words, it's very much appreciated. You might want to follow my Sale Thread as well, where I will release all of the newest sale information. Here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82389.0 I will be having a small sale tomorrow!

Also, I have a mailing list on my website, www.keyforge.com. I'll be releasing an update today through email to everyone as well. Thanks again, I hope to see your name among the winners :D

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:49:39 »

SHISHI

(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

DANK
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:55:40 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 16:55:10 »
dragon can be mushu /jokes  ^-^

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 16:59:34 »
dragon can be mushu /jokes  ^-^

Show Image

I think Mushu is a good name, but I'm on the fence about it because of the obvious reference. I do like the name a lot though.

Another idea I had was "Orochi".

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 00:13:45 »
Dat detail doe
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Daphen

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 14:58:41 »
Jesus, that's nice. Well done!

Offline Chaosti

• Plastic Enthusiast
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:31:40 »
If you're still looking for a name for your dragon sculpt (which looks bomb diggity, btw), what about Dra-key? Like a drake. Drakey? Or that's too heavy on the puns?

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:39:47 »
If you're still looking for a name for your dragon sculpt (which looks bomb diggity, btw), what about Dra-key? Like a drake. Drakey? Or that's too heavy on the puns?

Appreciate the suggestion. Right now I'm torn between Orochi and Ryu. I'm leaning towards Orochi though :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:12:05 »
Ryuken.

Offline tomboy

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 16:17:29 »

SHISHI

(Attachment Link)

DRAGON (not yet named)

(Attachment Link)

Oh, wow, Shishi looks awesome!

The dragon makes me think of Fuchur from The Neverending Story.

Offline Wylte

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 19:55:17 »
Lying in bed sick, read through this whole thread from start to finish.  I'm going to try and read every major key casting thread, but started here because you've been so helpful and positive over in my wife's fledgeling thread.
Thank you for keeping such a detailed account of your journey, there were a lot of useful ideas and lessons that I won't have to learn the hard way (a few mistakes that we'll just have to recover from, too!).  I'm going to try and emulate your journal for our projects, and maybe contribute something of value to this hobby as well  :thumb:
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #223 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:06:44 »
Lying in bed sick, read through this whole thread from start to finish.  I'm going to try and read every major key casting thread, but started here because you've been so helpful and positive over in my wife's fledgeling thread.
Thank you for keeping such a detailed account of your journey, there were a lot of useful ideas and lessons that I won't have to learn the hard way (a few mistakes that we'll just have to recover from, too!).  I'm going to try and emulate your journal for our projects, and maybe contribute something of value to this hobby as well  :thumb:

I was sick all weekend, so I feel your pain. This chest cold is killing me.

Glad to hear you liked it. I need to go back through and make a more concise guide for newcomers, but I do hope that it helps people avoid some pitfalls when they're first starting to cast. Once you start to cast quite a bit, you pick up your own techniques and things that you'd prefer to keep a secret, which is why I haven't added much to the guide. However, I think it's important to provide people with a solid foundation for casting. I want people to get past the initial mystery of casting so that they can tackle the bigger issues that they will come across, but in their own way.

The journal has honestly been a lifesaver for me. I keep ratios, weights, and steps on how to mix certain colors in there. By writing down everything, it really helped me later.

Glad to hear that things are going well for your family. Keep up the casting and let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with!

Offline lovechan

• HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 00:19:18 »
_(:3 」∠)_
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 19:56:56 by lovechan »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:36:53 »
I've been really busy working on the newest Shishi and Orochi sale, but I took a break yesterday to finish up these two sculpts. I've been visiting them off and on since November, and I finally got them about where I want them.

167572-0

167574-1

I call the first guy Bumpy, but I'm not 100% set on that name yet. He's a little rocky dude with some cute little feets that might be a little stinky. He's also a little nervous about meeting you, hence the semi-terrified look on his face.

I was working just about completing the snake keycap when /u/shadowdude777 from reddit released the Monty key, which is another awesome snake. I PM'ed him and made sure that it was okay with him that I release this key, and he was really awesome about it.

When using Super Sculpey, I tend to use a butane torch on my pieces after baking in order to strengthen the piece and prevent chipping or pieces coming off in the molds, hence the lighter and darker areas. Sometimes I have to rework certain areas, hence the lighter and darker parts of the sculpt. Torching can also help when removing your sculpts from the Synth after production, as sometimes they stick and can break as you try to pry them off the platform. In the instance of the snake, torching it will prevent it from breaking apart during the molding process.

If you ever have issues with your sculpts losing small pieces during the molding process, try torching those areas just a bit to add strength. The only downside is that they become much more fragile if dropped, and will shatter. To torch, make sure you bake the piece first. Then lightly run the flame over the sculpt in small passes, until the Sculpey starts to darken. Be careful not to scorch or hold the flame on one spot for too long.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:39:27 »
I... I don't even know what to say.  This is VERY impressive.  Are you sure you weren't Da Vinci in a previous life?  :eek:

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:47:44 »
I... I don't even know what to say.  This is VERY impressive.  Are you sure you weren't Da Vinci in a previous life?  :eek:

I've always LOVED sculpting, but hated sculpting big stuff. So I've been messing around with it since I was a kid, but once I got into making keycaps last year, it just clicked and gave me the drive to really push myself as hard as I could. This is the result of several hours of practice a day.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:58:37 »
Really looking forward to both sculpts! Such meticulous details.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:48:09 »
Damn man sculpts coming out looking good

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 15:45:59 »
Amazing new sculpts :)

I really enjoyed the blowtorch idea, gonna try that this time around!

Offline lovechan

• HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 19:58:05 »
_(:3 」∠)_  amazing

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 23:07:38 »
I've been really busy working on the newest Shishi and Orochi sale, but I took a break yesterday to finish up these two sculpts. I've been visiting them off and on since November, and I finally got them about where I want them.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I call the first guy Bumpy, but I'm not 100% set on that name yet. He's a little rocky dude with some cute little feets that might be a little stinky. He's also a little nervous about meeting you, hence the semi-terrified look on his face.

I was working just about completing the snake keycap when /u/shadowdude777 from reddit released the Monty key, which is another awesome snake. I PM'ed him and made sure that it was okay with him that I release this key, and he was really awesome about it.

When using Super Sculpey, I tend to use a butane torch on my pieces after baking in order to strengthen the piece and prevent chipping or pieces coming off in the molds, hence the lighter and darker areas. Sometimes I have to rework certain areas, hence the lighter and darker parts of the sculpt. Torching can also help when removing your sculpts from the Synth after production, as sometimes they stick and can break as you try to pry them off the platform. In the instance of the snake, torching it will prevent it from breaking apart during the molding process.

If you ever have issues with your sculpts losing small pieces during the molding process, try torching those areas just a bit to add strength. The only downside is that they become much more fragile if dropped, and will shatter. To torch, make sure you bake the piece first. Then lightly run the flame over the sculpt in small passes, until the Sculpey starts to darken. Be careful not to scorch or hold the flame on one spot for too long.

I NEED THAT BUMPY KEY.

Youre coming out with some amazingly detailed stuff, its very awesome to see. Stuff like that new snake require a lot of precision and patience to constantly make those scales over and over. Damn!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 23:26:41 »
Holy fudge the last 4 sculpts have been absolutely breathtaking. Well freaking done!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 04:48:41 »
Torching? I would never have thought of that. Nice

Offline avro

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 10:24:41 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Your work is amazing man! Such emphasis to detail, I love it!

PS: I would call the snake Ophion, not such a fun name but it once ruled the world

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophion

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 13:57:39 »
Will buy Orochi.

Offline yohanskee

• * Maker
  • There is no escape from enemy who lives within
    • Alpha Keycaps Instagram
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:21:14 »
What a sculpt, the orochi. What clay do you use to make that level of detail? Thanks
TGR 910 CE | Singa R1 | HHKB Pro 2 | IBM Model M

Alpha Keycaps - Making Stuff Thread
Alpha Keycaps - Sale Thread

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 10:23:19 »
What a sculpt, the orochi. What clay do you use to make that level of detail? Thanks

Super Sculpey Firm is what I'm most comfortable with. It lets me add a lot of small detail, and it smooths over quite easily. There are a lot of sculpting mediums out there that you can use, you've just gotta find what works for you. I tried working with Green Stuff last year, and I just didn't like the feeling of having to keep my tools lubricated and wearing gloves.

Before I started sculpting artisans, I was used to sulfur-based clays and a lot of Plastilina (Roma) for larger projects. When I tried Super Sculpey Firm, it just felt right in my hands, and was simple to work with. It's excellent at holding small detail, and I can leave it on the shelf for weeks at at time if I decide to work on another piece.

Again, you can use chewing gum if it works for you. Once you find a good material, just stick with it. I practice sculpting for at least an hour or two every day, and it's dramatically improved my ability to use Super Sculpey on a really small scale. Practice, practice, practice :)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:04:18 »

Super Sculpey Firm is what I'm most comfortable with. It lets me add a lot of small detail, and it smooths over quite easily. There are a lot of sculpting mediums out there that you can use, you've just gotta find what works for you. I tried working with Green Stuff last year, and I just didn't like the feeling of having to keep my tools lubricated and wearing gloves.

Before I started sculpting artisans, I was used to sulfur-based clays and a lot of Plastilina (Roma) for larger projects. When I tried Super Sculpey Firm, it just felt right in my hands, and was simple to work with. It's excellent at holding small detail, and I can leave it on the shelf for weeks at at time if I decide to work on another piece.

Again, you can use chewing gum if it works for you. Once you find a good material, just stick with it. I practice sculpting for at least an hour or two every day, and it's dramatically improved my ability to use Super Sculpey on a really small scale. Practice, practice, practice :)

I think getting routine practice in is one of the hardest things to do for me currently. I work a job where I have to start getting ready for work at 12pm, and im not home till 9pm, so my "most productive" hours of the day for me are gone.

I generally try to get up at 8am, get ready for gym go to the gym and im home by 9:30-10, then quick shower/breakfast/bathroom, then i finally get 1-2 hours for anything else that needs to be done, quick snack/lunch, then work. Then home from work at 9, dinner/bathroom, and like 20-30 mins of time for other things. THen phone with GF, then another hour of stuff for things before bed. So typically ~3 hours of free time per day, so after you factor in doing regular chores i have about 1.5-2hrs of free time. So if ALL i did was sculpt I could do that, but I do enjoy playing games, browsing forums, and other stuff. So getting in time is tough, and im sure theres people with busier schedules just ranting on my current situation.  I'm starting to think what I need to do is start at 30 minutes and just say okay from 11-11:30 no matter what I'm going to sculpt (which will present its own challenges depending on the medium your using), but I think currently thats the only way I'll get practice in.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 14:15:27 »

I think getting routine practice in is one of the hardest things to do for me currently. I work a job where I have to start getting ready for work at 12pm, and im not home till 9pm, so my "most productive" hours of the day for me are gone.

I generally try to get up at 8am, get ready for gym go to the gym and im home by 9:30-10, then quick shower/breakfast/bathroom, then i finally get 1-2 hours for anything else that needs to be done, quick snack/lunch, then work. Then home from work at 9, dinner/bathroom, and like 20-30 mins of time for other things. THen phone with GF, then another hour of stuff for things before bed. So typically ~3 hours of free time per day, so after you factor in doing regular chores i have about 1.5-2hrs of free time. So if ALL i did was sculpt I could do that, but I do enjoy playing games, browsing forums, and other stuff. So getting in time is tough, and im sure theres people with busier schedules just ranting on my current situation.  I'm starting to think what I need to do is start at 30 minutes and just say okay from 11-11:30 no matter what I'm going to sculpt (which will present its own challenges depending on the medium your using), but I think currently thats the only way I'll get practice in.

Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. Making keycaps as a regular thing is extremely time-consuming, and between my family and career, I only have a few hours of free time each evening, like you. Over the past year I made the decision to spend each day doing something productive with keys, whether it's sculpting, casting, color testing, design, etc. I plan my entire week in advance, and set goals for myself. I then reflect on those goals at the end of each week so I can see what still needs to be done. Time was getting away from me and I decided to start managing it the best that I could. It sounds like you're already doing that, which is awesome.

Right now I'm in the middle of finishing up color testing for the next sale, while simultaneously doing production, photography, and also planning future projects at the same time. If I actually had 8 hours a day to do this, I could accomplish an insane amount in a short time, but I don't. So I make the best of the time that I have, and use weekends to my advantage. If I need to take a break, I take a break. I do my best to keep KeyForge from turning into boring work, and keep things fun.

Anywho, if something is important to you, you'll find time for it. Best of luck with your sculpting and possibly future casting :)

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:45:04 »
I'm trying to pick up sculpting. Did you watch or read any material from other sculpters to learn techniques for working at such high detail on such a small scale? With almost all artisans, even if it's very very good, I can at least imagine how it was done with human hands. With yours.. not so much! You must have some ways of working with it, favorite tools, that type of thing?

I love your work sooo much :) Keep up the amazing work. You're definitely my favorite artisan.

And I really hope you are feeling all the way better soon!
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:48:38 by TelFiRE »
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 00:36:24 »
I'm trying to pick up sculpting. Did you watch or read any material from other sculpters to learn techniques for working at such high detail on such a small scale? With almost all artisans, even if it's very very good, I can at least imagine how it was done with human hands. With yours.. not so much! You must have some ways of working with it, favorite tools, that type of thing?

I love your work sooo much :) Keep up the amazing work. You're definitely my favorite artisan.

And I really hope you are feeling all the way better soon!

Sculpting, like many other art forms, can have a slightly steep learning curve when you first get started (and especially on such a small scale). I've been messing around with sculpting since I was in high school, and I continued to noodle around with it through college. Funny enough, my biggest hurdle back then was scale. I've always disliked sculpting large pieces, and I much preferred things that you could hold in your hand or set on your desk. It might be worth noting that I draw on a very small scale, and my handwriting is also very small.

TOOLS

My absolute favorite tool is a small angled spatula. I've shaped it a bit to my liking with a hammer, and smoothed it out a bit. It's an excellent all-around tool, and I use it for a lot of detail work, slicing, and smoothing. It also just feels right in my hand. Another extremely useful is something I found at Michael's many years ago. It's just got a small ball on the end of it, smaller than a BB. I did some smoothing on it as well, and it's perfect for shaping and smoothing out areas on your sculpt. Finally, a good ribbon loop is always handy, especially when you're first shaping and removing clay before diving into fine detail. I have a whole roll of tools that I use as well, but not nearly as much as those three.

Keep in mind that there are no "right" tools for sculpting, only what's right for you. There are some tools that work better on a smaller scale, and some that work better on a big scale. Most professional artists make their own tools out of wood and metal, or even hardened clay. It really depends on what is comfortable to you. You can literally sculpt with old sticks you find around the yard if you shape them with a knife and then sand them and polyurethane them. Or the lid of a pen. Or a knife and fork. You would be surprised what you can do with everyday objects. A good starting point for working on a small scale is to get some cheap dental tools.

Another handy thing is a magnifying lamp or glass. Mine is fixed with a big arm that clamps to my workbench. The light is very bright, and the glass is big enough that I can comfortably see very small detail. You can also purchase dental loupes, but you're wasting your time unless you get the expensive ones. I had a pair for a while but I switched to the magnifying lamp because I prefer it.

As a final word, learn to SMOOTH and learn to LAYER. Smoothing your clay really does wonders, and learning to work in layers prevents you from screwing up so bad that you lose the entire piece.

LEARNING TO SCULPT

I used to be a freelance cartoonist on the side. I mean, I wasn't incredible, but people paid me for my work. In 2010, I decided that I wanted to learn how to cartoon, because I had all of these funny jokes and ideas, but my drawing was somewhat lacking. I'd been doodling for years, so I wasn't a "stick figures only" kind of guy, but I wasn't a cartoonist. I picked up a cartooning book (I forget the name, if I find it I'll put it here) that quite literally changed the way I approach most hobbies now. The book told me to draw a new single-panel cartoon every day for six months. It said to take like fifteen minutes in the morning to meditate and relax, clear your mind, and then draw something. It didn't have to be amazing, but it needed to be something. So, I did it. And six months later my cartoons went from looking like garbage to actually being pretty good. I learned a lot along the way about how I liked to work, not how others liked to work. New ideas would flood into my head, and I began to think like a cartoonist. This is absolutely key in mastering a hobby or a skill, especially creative ones.

Practice. Seriously. Just practice, and sculpt what you see. Find a subject, set a goal, and then sculpt it. It doesn't matter what it is. Just sculpt anything.

I like to start my sculpts with basic shapes. I roll balls, or cylinders, etc. I then place those and smooth them out. Once the basic shapes are in place, you can start adding small amounts of material that will be your details. Know that you will most likely mess up and need to remove material, but that's totally okay. That's how it goes. If you want to get serious about sculpting, then sculpt for an hour a day. Make something different every day.

One of the best pieces of advice that I can give you is to make three versions of a single sculpt. Yes, three. Your first attempt should be a rough draft, your second should be polished, and your third should be your best work, ready to be molded and cast. In my humble opinion, the biggest mistake that newer artisans are making is casting the first thing they sculpt.
  • Get an idea in your head, sketch it if possible.
  • Do a rough sculpt, but finish it to the end. Don't worry about major detail, just get the basic idea down. No need to layer here, but it's a good technique to practice. I try to get these sculpts done as fast as possible.
  • Take notes on what you want to change or do better. Really study the sculpt and figure out what you can do better.
  • Resculpt, and this time pay attention to detail. You should really be trying hard here, specifically fixing all of your initial mistakes. I try to make just about everything smaller this time around.
  • You can stop here if the work is acceptable, but I find that the third time is when you are really comfortable with the design.
  • Sculpt your Final Master, and pay extreme attention to detail. Work in layers, building upon the last. This should take you quite a bit of time, no need to rush.
If you want specific literature on sculpting, here are some good ones to check out. Keep in mind that it might seem boring to read, but a lot of time mentally preparing yourself to sculpt is just as important as practicing.

- Beginner's Guide to Sculpting Characters in Clay
- Sculpture Principle and Projects (Slobodkin)
- Portrait Sculpting (Faraut)

These will cover all of the basics of clay sculpting and design, as well as technique. They're good reads, and I refer to the Sculpture Principle and Projects frequently.

Another path you might consider is paying for some clay sculpting courses online. I may do one of those when I get more time later this year, so I can keep progressing. I can't give you much direction there, but there are many sculptors that offer courses and you can watch the videos over and over again. If local courses or classes are available, then by all means take them. It's a good way to get started.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 July 2017, 11:50:47 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 13:01:22 »
That was an amazing reply, way more than I expected. Thank you so much! I'm gonna study up and practice hard.
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline Jedi

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 21:59:53 »
Sneakypotato is an amazing artist and always sincere with community members here in this thread and elsewhere.  His work is incredible and definitely sought after whenever his sales go live.  I really do hope more of his work gets out there as he finds time to dabble in this hobby while holding full time career and life responsibilities.  I hope to get a second chance (though technically third chance since the first time I decided to take a shower, don't ever do that when sneaky's sales come up, life lesson learned) to score a Shishi or Orochi or his next sculpt. 

All around great guy!

Offline lovechan

• HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 06:05:50 »
Sneakypotato is an amazing artist and always sincere with community members here in this thread and elsewhere.  His work is incredible and definitely sought after whenever his sales go live.  I really do hope more of his work gets out there as he finds time to dabble in this hobby while holding full time career and life responsibilities.  I hope to get a second chance (though technically third chance since the first time I decided to take a shower, don't ever do that when sneaky's sales come up, life lesson learned) to score a Shishi or Orochi or his next sculpt. 

All around great guy!

ye he's sincere and sweet. :)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:48:47 »
I'm looking forward to the leftover flash sale sneaky! Need to get my hands on my first cap from you :)
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline ludd

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 00:57:43 »
I've been looking at a couple of resources and the realisation that you've only been casting for little over a year is amazing. I've started to work with some clay and it's pretty fun if not a little frustrating when it isn't exactly as I hope. Hopefully in a months time i'll have a couple of crappy prototypes to show off!

Quick question, before you cast with a pressure pot, did you find that different resins had different amount of air bubbles? (A pressure pot is a bit out of the budget at the moment)

Cheers
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 01:09:22 by ludd »

Offline yuppie

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 23:12:55 »
the amount you've leveled up in just a year's time is incredible
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:18:53 »
I've been looking at a couple of resources and the realisation that you've only been casting for little over a year is amazing. I've started to work with some clay and it's pretty fun if not a little frustrating when it isn't exactly as I hope. Hopefully in a months time i'll have a couple of crappy prototypes to show off!

Quick question, before you cast with a pressure pot, did you find that different resins had different amount of air bubbles? (A pressure pot is a bit out of the budget at the moment)

Cheers

I would recommend saving up for a pressure pot, it's quite essential for producing quality keys. You will waste a lot more time and materials without one, and you will most likely become discouraged at the quality of the work. Get one before you get a vacuum pump or anything else, and you'll save yourself a lot of work. To answer your question, I've never had to worry about bubbles because I started this hobby with a pressure pot. I now have several and they're one of the most important tools I have. It's an investment, but absolutely worth it if you're even considering investing in quality materials.

the amount you've leveled up in just a year's time is incredible

Thank you! Like I've mentioned here and elsewhere, it comes down to simply investing your time and being serious about the craft. I think a lot of it is that I keep falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole with new and exciting things to try, and new ideas to sculpt.

I mean if you spent the better part of a year spending 20-30 extra hours a week playing the guitar, learning to draw, or whittling disturbing wooden statues of horse genitalia, I think that you would look back and also be amazed at the progress you had made. I'm one of those people that tends to get a little bit obsessive once I find something that I enjoy doing.