Author Topic: Switch keys from HHKB Pro2 Type-S to HHKB BT  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Jico

Switch keys from HHKB Pro2 Type-S to HHKB BT
« on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 09:47:31 »
Does anyone with experience with both of these HHKB models know if this will work?  I want a HHKB BT (the official kind, optimized for battery life) with Type-S switches.  Can I just buy both keyboards (1 BT and 1 Type-S), unscrew them, and easily throw some of the guts from one keyboard into the other one?

If it's an easy and foolproof process, it might be worth doing.

Offline phosphoric

Re: Switch keys from HHKB Pro2 Type-S to HHKB BT
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:23:44 »
why don't you just buy a type-s and hasu's bluetooth controller?
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:31:17 »
Just buy these to go on whatever HHKB  you want to silence.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-Silencing-Rings-for-Topre-Switch-Keyboards-/252369187810?

Also just as an FYI, topre keyboards don't have discrete switches like mx keyboards so what you would be swapping would be parts and pieces which you can definitely do, what you would be swapping would be the stems with the silencing material from the type-s to whatever non-silenced hhkb. But those silencing rings linked above will most likely get you close enough without having to buy multiple hhkb's.

Also another trick is to take some shelf liner and fold it a time or two and place it under the hhkb that also helps it be a little quieter, that is what I currently do with my stock hhkb.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:33:45 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Jico

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 21:40:30 »
why don't you just buy a type-s and hasu's bluetooth controller?

optimized for battery life

Offline Jico

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 21:47:02 »
Just buy these to go on whatever HHKB  you want to silence.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-Silencing-Rings-for-Topre-Switch-Keyboards-/252369187810?

Also just as an FYI, topre keyboards don't have discrete switches like mx keyboards so what you would be swapping would be parts and pieces which you can definitely do, what you would be swapping would be the stems with the silencing material from the type-s to whatever non-silenced hhkb. But those silencing rings linked above will most likely get you close enough without having to buy multiple hhkb's.

Also another trick is to take some shelf liner and fold it a time or two and place it under the hhkb that also helps it be a little quieter, that is what I currently do with my stock hhkb.

Thanks for this input!  I have heard that these aftermarket silencing solutions aren't quite as effective as the silencing on the Type-S.  Official rings are better or something.  I saw an example on youtube.  I figured, if I'm going to pay through the nose for a sweet keyboard, I'd like as uncompromising an approach as possible.  So, is replacing the stems pretty easy?  Much chance of damage?

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 03:08:24 »

Thanks for this input!  I have heard that these aftermarket silencing solutions aren't quite as effective as the silencing on the Type-S.  Official rings are better or something.  I saw an example on youtube.  I figured, if I'm going to pay through the nose for a sweet keyboard, I'd like as uncompromising an approach as possible.  So, is replacing the stems pretty easy?  Much chance of damage?

I have hypersphere aftermarket silencing rings (same as linked above) on a 45g Realforce 104UB and on a Type Heaven. I also own the 45g Ducky 104UB-DK45S which is factory silenced on purple sliders.  The Realforce 104UB is my favorite and the silencing on it is fantastic. The 0.5mm reduced travel feels like a performance tweak. The Type Heaven sounds incredible -- it has a paper like whisper to the ABS.

And the Ducky is... well, its really good, but there's a crispness to the end of keystroke and the thock isn't quite as damped.  It still feels like it was engineered perfectly, but I prefer my cobbled Realforce (45g rubber from another Type Heaven) with aftermarket rings. That is the keyboard I use 8 hours a day at the office. At home I use the Ducky as its PBT keys are nicer than the Type Heaven's ABS. I've posted a recording of the Type Heaven and the Realforce before but it didn't compare the sound of the Ducky to the others.

I've got another baggy of silencing rings awaiting installation for another recording later this month. Once my granite drop ships I'm going to record all four combinations of factory/granite/silenced on this here Novatouch. I'm glad I finally have this Ducky as a baseline for the authentic Topre 45g factory silenced experience; however, it only reinforced how much love I have for plain old black sliders and hyperrings.

Offline joric

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:44:24 »
Yes. I swapped dentalbanded HHKB Pro 2 stems with HHKB BT.
Type-S stems must be about the same. Domes and springs are also the same.
You could also swap electronics, if you want (but you'd have to heavily damage the Pro 2 case).

More pics here http://imgur.com/a/YYAOv
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:09:20 by joric »

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:00:58 »
I realise this is an old thread, I've read the warning.

Is there really that much difference between the Type-S and normal HHKB? I've not used the former, but have used the latter for nearly three years now. And from the videos I've seen, people I've spoken to, and things I've read, it all seems to be quite nuanced.

But I'd like to hear from those who have done the comparisons, and double check that I have not missed something.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline hking0036

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:12:56 »
I realise this is an old thread, I've read the warning.

Is there really that much difference between the Type-S and normal HHKB? I've not used the former, but have used the latter for nearly three years now. And from the videos I've seen, people I've spoken to, and things I've read, it all seems to be quite nuanced.

But I'd like to hear from those who have done the comparisons, and double check that I have not missed something.
Type S and the normal HHKB are pretty similar, type s just has rings on the sliders to silence the upstroke and slightly longer barrels to accomodate. The BT and Type-S/normal pro 2 will be very different because the HHKB BT has to drive bluetooth etc.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box