Author Topic: The Hatchery - Update #4  (Read 4467 times)

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
The Hatchery - Update #4
« on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 02:50:12 »
I figured I'd go ahead with one of these threads to post some updates on as I go. Kinda late.

Welp, I started sculpting designs last year for fun then for a friend under the alias of Shadowcaps. Unfortunately, that never panned out and I didn't get some of my designs back until a month or so ago.
I went into this with some background knowledge from what I've read online, but obviously zero experience in resin casting itself. Helpful people: Dgneo, Sneaky Potato, Binge, Booper, and the Internet, in general.
Eventually, with excess time and money from selling caps I was able to purchase some equipment (some I already had on hand, but I'll list it anyway).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Materials + Equipment List

More
Expensive things:

Pressure Pot - California Air Tools 365B 5-Gallon Pressure Pot
Air Compressor - Already had 2 on hand, but they are loud af, but great quality. Some people opt for CAT ACs as well though for ultra quiet models.
Vacuum Chamber + Vacuum Pump - I personally haven't bought one yet, but if you really want to decrease your chances of air bubbles get one.

Not as expensive things:

Silicone - I've tried OOMOO 25 and 30. Some use Alumilite. 25 cures in 75 minutes, 30 in 6 hours. 25 isn't enough time to work the bubbles out on your own w/o a pot. I've had decent results simply watching how I mix, using 30 w/o and I managed to get some workable molds. However, you should totally stick those suckers in your pressure pot when you have the chance. I ran into an issue of bubbles forming in molds (that appeared bubble free) after pressurizing them, so stick them in kids.

:thinking:
Resin - Smooth Cast 326. I'm not sure I'd recommend this at first when you're just getting started. It's like a 9min pot life and 60min cure time. You don't have long after mixing your parts together to doddle around before it starts hardening. One thing to remember for sure, mix thoroughly. There for a bit, I was opening up tacky, uncured molds before I realized that I wasn't mixing for a sufficient amount of time. The more you know. Only stuff I've used so far, and after understanding it, it's perfect for me. However, I will probably get a different resin soon that cures at a slower speed as I find myself with more molds to fill.

Pigments - Liquid is easiest. Obviously get a range of colors to mix with. Smooth-On has some decent sample sizes to get started. Google around though for something that catches your eye.

Mold Release - Just do it.

Things I Can't Live Without:

Gram Scale: Weigh all of your concoctions for accurate/best results.
Paint Brushes: For brushing things into nooks and crannies. Specifically resin, silicone, and mold release.
Mixing Cups: Small ones for resin and larger ones for silicone
Mixing sticks: obvious?
Syringes: You can run out of these pretty easily I've found. I'm able to snag free ones so I don't run out, but they lack a needle; yet, I've had fine results without one.
Qtips/Cotton Swabs: To make your sprues out of. Some people use toothpicks as well, in that case, you may want to opt for a needle tip syringe.
Super Glue: Get something fast drying.
Gloves: Good lord, always use them. Things can get messy. I use small black medical nitrile gloves. Just make sure you have a good fit, otherwise it'd be annoying fumbling around I imagine.
Mask/Respirator: Depending on your environment, you'll probably want one of these.

Some of this is really repetitive, mind-less work, so I recommend listening to music or something to increase productivity; also, it helps drown out my air compressor OnO

It may go without saying, but you should really make an effort to make a dedicated work space.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction #1

More
Anyway, a timeline of progress and failures.

So, this was my first set of molds. Obviously 2 piece molds. I made them really small, 1 key, to not waste silicone. As you can see, the stems didn't fill in due to bubble in the cross. I fixed this by jamming a brush with silicone into the stem cross and needle to burst bubbles, before I poured the rest of my mixture in.

Boom, molds. At this point I switched to OOMOO 30 as well. I normally have 5 sprues, 1 for each corner of the cap + the stem. However, I have been increasing the number of sprues due to the base of the stem not completely filling at times on me.

Test run 1. Initially, I never let the 1st shot cure in the pressure pot, but now I typically do this. Here I casted: Cuddles, Snack Wraps, Synth Blank, and Yorick.

There for a bit, I was having trouble with my butts not filling in properly. Typically, I would close my molds and injecting the resin through the sprues. I instead poured the resin in to the top, then closed the two pieces of the mold together. Then finalized it with a hot beef resin injection.

Then I was having a couple of days spat of my casts coming out tacky and uncured. I chalked this up to it being not optimal temperature and bad mixing procedure. In my workshop I started running a heater next to the pressure pot and just really mixed the hell out of the resin and my problems quickly solved.

The ending of uncuredness!

I then pooped out some of these. Some of my blanks still were not working properly due to me using a stem that was not meant for that keycap. Often times, my molds get rekt by the stems getting stuck in a cast and I'm just without one at that point, but the sculpt part is still good. I got by with that a couple of times, it's basically resulted in me not having consistent stems on the back of my caps. These were still wet and sandy when I took pictures.

By this time, I'm consistently pushing out double shots that for the most part are bubble free, good stems. I decided well, I'm going to have to sand these bad boys somehow. I initially took 2 small emory boards together :raughs: and ran caps over that. That took way too long. Luckily, we have an array of sanders to ease my hand pain. We had a belt sander, air sander, and electric sander handy. The air one ran off the compressor, but it was annoying with this trigger handle. Settled on the electric and use 80 grit paper. It's not that rough, I might try something else at some point, but it gets them real smooth fast. These were the latest things I pooped out:

I'm still having trouble with layering shots properly I think. I keep noticing a film over my 1st shot as I pull out on the 2nd. We'll figure it out eventually! Oh dem, forgot. I did get my hands on an actual synth finally. I haven't had the chance to use it yet though, I want to think of something new to sculpt on it first.

And that's it for now really :thinking: my journey has only been 3 weeks so I don't have much else to share with write ups, except pictures of my messy set up/equipment. I'll update this obviously as I learn the ways OuO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #2

More
New update. I finished classes this past Tuesday, so I'm able to dedicate more time to my projects. After recently acquiring a synth I really wanted to try out some sculpting again. I decided to revisit one of my first design Cuddles, which is simply just a cuttlefish, a rather adorable sea creature. Well today I sculpted for around 7 hours, as I listened to podcasts that built up in my library because of finals. I pooped out this dude, and there's some comparison pictures of the original sculpt as well for those interested.

He's nothing special, but I wanted to re-do the little guy. There's a lot of octopus caps out there, which he certainly looks like from the tentacles, but hopefully it comes across as a cuttlefish. After initially completing the body, I baked him for 20 minutes at 300 degrees in the oven. I added some eyesockets, another 20. Then finally the inner eye, another 20. I tried to do a stamp on the back, but it wasn't coming out right so I scraped the idea. Took me hours to decide one eyes tbh, they always seem to be the hardest part for me on a sculpt. I re-did them countless times. Nonetheless, I finally got something I liked. Also began working on Topre bottoms tonight. I'll probably attempt the torch method on Cuddles v2 tomorrow and start new molds for topre blanks and more.

Also, apparently Bee Caps is a thing already? Lol. This saddens me, so I'll just call this place The Hatchery for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #3

More

I spent the day sort of just playing around with Cuds v2. He broke in the inital mold, but not too badly. I think I need to switch to super sculpey, instead of the reg maybe? I am finally out of resin though. I'll probably do some b-stock sale of some sorts for more pigments/resin eventually. Just gives me time to work on new molds without bubs.

Update #4

Currently working on making more Cuds v2 molds and a new design! Beekey <- album of side shots

WIP sorta went like this:

to what you have now

Lol, I attempted a triple shot as my first cast of him. Super messy, but I just did it to give myself some ideas. It's really hard to paint in resin detail I'm finding. I'm using a fine tipped paint brush, but I have rather shaky hands so that doesn't help. I think I just need to take my time with slower curing resin and I'll find my sweet spot eventually.

I also made a little reference sheet for myself for resin weights finally:

idk if that existed in a pdf somewhere, but I just did some maths to get my ratios down for 1-40g. Helpful, considering I used to just write the info on my arms as I worked. Printed that bad boy out and stuck it on the wall.

and topre stuff

i've made more but they're being used for molds OuO

ketch you l8r

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Bee Caps - a blog thing? (Interest Check Form Open)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 03:11:14 »
I really like these Bee!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 03:17:55 »
Nice read caps seem to be getting better with time.  Gl

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 13:29:00 »
Great write up, it's been a while since I've seen such such a good one.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:40:18 »
this is exciting!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:37:14 »
**** YOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OuO
I love Elzy

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:42:06 »
**** YOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OuO

why you heff to bee mad

blanks please bee

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 21:46:22 »
Cool story, bro :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 04:08:20 »
english classes are finally starting to pay off!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 04:49:34 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:40:46 »
Wasn't there already someone using the "Bee Caps" moniker?

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
Bee Caps - a blog thing? (Interest Check Form Open)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:43:32 »
Really enjoy reading about casting and cap-making experiences. Thanks very much for sharing!

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 08:05:54 »
Wasn't there already someone using the "Bee Caps" moniker?

rip

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:01:53 »
GL Bee!

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: The Hatchery - Update #2
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 01:00:54 »
new update, new sculpt

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: The Hatchery - Update #2
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 02:17:52 »
new update, new sculpt

That is a pretty big improvement on the first sculpt. Good job, I hope you keep making caps.
Biking is fun.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: The Hatchery - Update #3
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 22:12:35 »
Cuddles is alive!

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 22:32:48 »
Nice! Can't wait for that Bee Stock Sale!  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 00:00:44 »
Nice! Can't wait for that Bee Stock Sale!  :thumb:

^-^

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 00:25:12 »
Not my style when it comes to artisans but those caps look really clean and I love the colorway in update #3.

Excited to see what you come up with in the future!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: The Hatchery - Update #4
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 12:45:41 »
updeet

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
Re: The Hatchery - Update #4
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 05:21:21 »
How did you come to the amounts for the resin ratios? I use 325 and I mix 1:1 as suggested on the pot. How does your ratios change things? Slower dry time? Harder casts?

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
The Hatchery - Update #4
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 19:28:21 »
These updates are really cool, and it's nice to see how you cast!