Author Topic: Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition modification  (Read 2421 times)

Offline zpcomstock17

Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition modification
« on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:21:15 »
Since it's RGB lighting comes from SMD LEDs and not ordinary LEDs, I should be able to pry open the housing and switch the springs/stem to my liking, right?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:22:10 »
Since it's RGB lighting comes from SMD LEDs and not ordinary LEDs, I should be able to pry open the housing and switch the springs/stem to my liking, right?

Incorrect. The plate doesn't allow for switch top removal, so you would still have to desolder the switches to do so.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline zpcomstock17

Re: Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:28:30 »

Incorrect. The plate doesn't allow for switch top removal, so you would still have to desolder the switches to do so.

:-[ that's a shame, I'm probably going to violate Ducky's warranty if I desolder the switches.

Offline falkentyne

Re: Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition modification
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:49:34 »
It uses a double PCB system, so you can remove the switch PCB separately from the LED PCB, and then work with the switches without needing to touch the LED's.  It's held together by a daughterboard connector.  There may be a glue thing in a corner that secures both PCB's together.

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 22:07:51 »
It uses a double PCB system, so you can remove the switch PCB separately from the LED PCB, and then work with the switches without needing to touch the LED's.  It's held together by a daughterboard connector.  There may be a glue thing in a corner that secures both PCB's together.

Is it worth the risk of switching out normal MX Red Stems into Silent Mx Red stems?

Offline Star_burp

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 19:53:49 »
How did this turn out for you? I want to get a Shine 6 and install a set of Zealios 78g switches. Im an experienced solderer and understand that some boards just aren't worth it when it comes to mods. Thanks!