Author Topic: About to take the plunge on my first build  (Read 1730 times)

Offline BradTheGeek

About to take the plunge on my first build
« on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 12:55:31 »
Have been here before, with a Model M backlighting project.  That Model M dies due to a funky backplate.

Saw a post on social media the other day about a custom made keyboard with a GH60 PCB that I thought was really neat.

I have started researching, and lo and behold the GH60 was a GeekHack thing! I also see there are lots of vendors for parts on alibaba, etc.

My question is this.. can anyone point me to good threads/tutorials for builds, also want to make sure if possible I get quality parts that benefit the source rather than crap if I can help it.  I did some searching, but am innundated with results that do not really help.

Thanks!  If I move forward with this, I will post the project here. 

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: About to take the plunge on my first build
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:45:10 »
Are you specifically after the GH60 or any 60% with standard features is good for you?
Also, you should clarify what parts are you looking for. Usually a 60% build requires a PCB, a mounting plate (although this is optional), switches, a set of stabilizers, a case and keycaps.
As for actually building it, how do you rate your soldering experience? There's actually not much to know beforehand to assemble a 60% keyboard but knowing that won't hurt.
Lastly, I assume you're looking for low costs, fast shipping, so where in the world are you?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline BradTheGeek

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 15:11:32 »
Thanks for the reply. 
Being new to this I need to learn the lingo!  Looking at it, for myself probably a full or TKL.  I want to build one for my mom as well with a steampunk style, and that will prob be 60%.

My soldering skills are fair to good.  I am a bit out of practice, but I have been an electrical hobbyist since childhood.

I live in US.  VA to be precise.  Shipping speed is of little consequence.  There is no deadline, and honestly, it will probably take me longer to get to building them than any shipping, slow boat or not!

I am not concerned with individually addressable key lighting, but customizable backlighting is a big plus.

This is the one I was looking at and got the idea to do one for myself and my mom with slightly different builds.  Probably the same switches for both though.  My current planks are a corsaur K65  lux (red switches)   and a Poseidon Z (blue switches.) And I am comfortable typing on either.
https://imgur.com/gallery/JoQcH

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 15:57:30 »
Backlighting and underglow are a bit different from each other.
Backlighting usually refers to LEDs (either RGB or discrete) mounted on the switch side, i.e. the top side, and quite many 60% boards feature that.
Underglow, instead, is achieved with RGB LEDs mounted on the bottom side and they are individually addressable.

There are a good number of backlit TKLs or even full size keyboards for you to modify by replacing switches and or LEDs.

You really want to narrow down your choice by choosing specific features that you wish to have on your keyboards.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff