Author Topic: Popular sellor has mode model Ms up, including some grey industrial ones  (Read 4371 times)

Offline ozar

Popular sellor has mode model Ms up, including some grey industrial ones
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 17:54:48 »
Quote from: webwit;25796
They have been there for a few days, I guess Brian is a bit high with his new $75 sweet spot ;)

He's a great seller, but one thing about the IBM boards from Brian: they don't come with the original cable, but with a new one made in '99. This was the case with the two boards I bought from him on separate occasions. I think he should mention that.

I thought it appeared that the prices were going up a bit.

Yeah, I noticed that on the cables as well.  He told me that he has all kinds of parts on hand, but I'm guessing the older cables are harder to come by.  Trying to make these boards look as new as possible, he could be scrapping some old cables and supplying new ones, which might be a mistake in some cases.

Offline lal

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 14:32:19 »
He seems to have begun to show the *underside* of the steel plate in the photos so you can see if they have epoxy-fixed broken rivets or still the originals.  Very cool, Brian!
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 16:50:04 »
Love the olive drab Model M's.  (I don't personally have any...but admire them from afar)  :)

Offline wheel83

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 17:33:02 »
webwit.  i know you are a fellow smoker lol ... do you find that cigarette ash sticks waay more on an industrial olive drab model m keys ?  

i am being 100% serious.  i never use this keyboard because of this fact.
I <3 BS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 20:29:06 »
Quote from: webwit;25905
Something like:

Rule 1 (the Geekhack Mantra): The Answer to your Question and the Solution for all your problems is always: Buy More Keyboards

Rule 2: WARNING! Do never obey to rule 1, or you'll end up like this guy!!!

That's pretty much it.  I came across this forum looking for a mechanical ergo keyboard other than the M15 and I got a Northgate Evolution.  Now look at me.  We're constantly trying to drop the spoon and get the needle out of our arms.

BTW, I'm drunk.  I just thought I would share that with you.  A place that sells a ton of beer on tap just opened up by my house, and after a Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London's Pride, Guinness, Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a glass of wine before I even left, I am pretty good for the rest of the evening.  Thanks, and have a nice evening (or morning if you're in Europe).

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 20:44:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25924

BTW, I'm drunk.  I just thought I would share that with you.  A place that sells a ton of beer on tap just opened up by my house, and after a Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London's Pride, Guinness, Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a glass of wine before I even left, I am pretty good for the rest of the evening.  Thanks, and have a nice evening (or morning if you're in Europe).

Impressive, no slurred typing.  I'm gonna have to ask you to perform a field sobriety test.  I'd like you to type a straight line :p
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 20:57:04 »
Quote from: webwit;25927
˙˙˙ǝןʇʇıן ɐ puıɯ sıɥ ɥʇıʍ ssǝɯ uɐɔ ǝʍ ɟı ǝǝs s,ʇǝן ¿ɥnɥ 'pǝʇɐɔıxoʇuı

:)

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:00:14 »
˙ʎuunɟ sı ʇıʍqǝM

Offline ozar

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:08:02 »
lol... that keyboard pile belonging to webwit looks familiar.  While we are posting shots of our private stash, here's mine:

Every box in this shot (except for the big ViewSonic box on the bottom) has at least one keyboard in it, and some boxes hold up to 3 boards.  I have 5 other boards not in the shot that are in use, and 2 more keyboards on the way that will be delivered this coming week.  I really need to find a better method of stacking these.

Yes, I know - it's really a sickness for which there seems to be no cure... except perhaps for that keyboard that you don't have yet!  ;)

Offline ozar

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:19:35 »
Quote from: webwit;25933
Oooh..oooh! It's higher than mine!  :eek: NEED..TO...BUY!!!

lol.. I think we all need to put our heads together and open a keyboard sales store!  ;)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:23:06 »
Mine's not anywhere near that big.

Of course, I buy a lot of boards from Goodwill, so...

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:26:07 »
the only kb that I've got the box to is my NIB (not anymore :)) Omnikey Evolution...

Offline ozar

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:35:27 »
I try to keep every box that came with all my keyboards and everything that came in the box.  If I should decide to trade or sell them, I want them to be as original as possible and still of high value.  In fact, I usually don't even unwind the PS2/USB cables, but instead use an extension cable to connect them to the computer.

Offline ozar

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 21:38:16 »
Yes, I too would like to have a good rack or two to store them in.  Perhaps lying them on their sides would be better than on top of each other.

Offline ozar

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 22:08:34 »
Quote from: webwit;25943
Something about enjoying your stuff instead of becoming a slave to it.

Yes, I do know what you mean.  I am enjoying using them, but probably not as much as could be.  At least I'm not using one of these:

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net//prkeco.html

Actually I did use those for a period back in the late 80's but grew out of it.  I don't eat around my boards, and they get vacuumed or dusted often, so nothing so extreme is needed.

I think the storage issue is the biggest problem at present, but I plan to trade off boards and sell some others in the near future.  I'd still like to have some nice racks like you mentioned above to store the others on, though.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 23:09:59 »
Those skins are abominations, my Sun Compact 1 had one.  It was horrible typing on it, almost as bad as one of those flexible keyboards :(  Thankfully, however, the board is like brand new because of that, lol.

Offline ozar

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 00:10:45 »
Quote from: webwit;25943
Something about enjoying your stuff instead of becoming a slave to it.

That is an old Buddhist belief and it is killing me right now. I want to get rid of all I don't have an immediate need for. Right now, I use an IBM M4-1 at work and my HHKB Pro 2 at home sitting on top of my laptop. I don't use a mouse, and the rest of my keyboards are hidden from the view of my toddler. He is 25 pounds of whoop-ass when it comes to expensive stuff and not very delicate with daddy's electronics.

I use an AlphaSmart Neo to write (everything from fiction to school work), so I don't know if I should keep all these other keyboards or have a big sale I might regret later.

The problems of a GeekHacker.

Offline ozar

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 March 2009, 17:56:06 »
Just an update on the sale of the gray industrial model m boards.  The seller has reduced prices once again and they are now being sold for $50 and $55.