Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649588 times)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1300 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 06:35:27 »
Just picked this up on Thursday. Absolutely worth it.

(Attachment Link)

Awesome choice! My BRZ is over a year old now and I don't regret it one bit. That blue is kick ass.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline dante

« Reply #1301 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:49:26 »
I crossed the BRZ off my list because I live in the snow belt and I'm too lazy to buy snow tires.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1302 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:46:15 »
I crossed the BRZ off my list because I live in the snow belt and I'm too lazy to buy snow tires.
Yeah, that car would probably not be too fun in snow and ice.  Nothing like a nice Suby for those climates.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1303 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 16:32:52 »
Yeah, that car would probably not be too fun in snow and ice.  Nothing like a nice Suby for those climates.

You'd be surprised, there's a couple dudes when I go to school (the UP) that own W10 MR2s, an FB RX-7, and an FC RX-7. It isn't easy driving but if you're good it's a ton of fun.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1304 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:31:36 »
[/quote]

You'd be surprised, there's a couple dudes when I go to school (the UP) that own W10 MR2s, an FB RX-7, and an FC RX-7. It isn't easy driving but if you're good it's a ton of fun.
[/quote]Wow!  I'd never risk it with such cars--they're the ones that will now go up in value in the next few decades.

There's going to be a time when a really nice mr2 is going to cost $40k.  Mark my words.  :eek:  The rx7s have already gotten expensive if they still have the rotary in them.  Too many on the road have been used for swaps--although those are really sweet too.

Funny video about Hitler's rx7 (he never actually owned one for those young pups out there):

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1305 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 00:06:08 »

[/quote]Wow!  I'd never risk it with such cars--they're the ones that will now go up in value in the next few decades.

There's going to be a time when a really nice mr2 is going to cost $40k.  Mark my words.  :eek:  The rx7s have already gotten expensive if they still have the rotary in them.  Too many on the road have been used for swaps--although those are really sweet too.

Funny video about Hitler's rx7 (he never actually owned one for those young pups out there):
[/quote]
I cant imagine trying to deal with a rotary in freezing temps, mine were finicky enough in SoCal.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1306 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 00:07:09 »

Wow!  I'd never risk it with such cars--they're the ones that will now go up in value in the next few decades.

[/quote]
I cant imagine trying to deal with a rotary in freezing temps, mine were finicky enough in SoCal.
[/quote]
MTU has some crazy dudes.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #1307 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:46:35 »

Mine gets driven in ice and snow. But I put snow tires on. RWD with snow tires > AWD with all(no) seasons.

I can't count how many times I had no problems starting, or going around a corner where the Impreza or SUV or whatever in front of me starts sliding out of control.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1308 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 21:50:37 »
Mine gets driven in ice and snow. But I put snow tires on. RWD with snow tires > AWD with all(no) seasons.

I can't count how many times I had no problems starting, or going around a corner where the Impreza or SUV or whatever in front of me starts sliding out of control.
Yeah, snow tires are soooooo important.  In MKE you'd think that people would better understand this.

I still remember one day picking up the wife when it had snowed about 3 inches right before 5pm.  Entire streets were full of cars sliding backwards down hills.  It was nuts!  I found a hill no one had dared to approach and up we went.  We've got the General Altimax Arctics all the way around on our 2011 Suzuki Kizashi SLS Sport awd.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 08:36:59 »

Yeah, snow tires are soooooo important.  In MKE you'd think that people would better understand this.

I still remember one day picking up the wife when it had snowed about 3 inches right before 5pm.  Entire streets were full of cars sliding backwards down hills.  It was nuts!  I found a hill no one had dared to approach and up we went.  We've got the General Altimax Arctics all the way around on our 2011 Suzuki Kizashi SLS Sport awd.

MKE??  I didn't know you were in MKE...  :O  PM incoming...  :rolleyes:

Also, I've never bought snow tires before.  Anyone have any advice?  :confused:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1310 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 11:11:06 »

Yep, just put it in my profile, hehe.

I researched the hell out of snow tires.  And consistently best bang for the buck and all-out snow performance are the General Altimax Arctic.  I can attest to this too since one night after dinner during which it snowed 3 inches, we could go twice as fast as suvs and still have complete safety.  I highly recommend the tires, but wouldn't run them above 50 degrees as that's when they start to become really bad regular tires.  And rightfully so as that's not their purpose.

I'm going to put our winter set on in the next week or so.  I think work is going to take me down to HSV for about a month and by the time I get back I'm going to get 'weather shock', lol.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1311 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:51:07 »

I researched the hell out of snow tires.  And consistently best bang for the buck and all-out snow performance are the General Altimax Arctic.  I can attest to this too since one night after dinner during which it snowed 3 inches, we could go twice as fast as suvs and still have complete safety.  I highly recommend the tires, but wouldn't run them above 50 degrees as that's when they start to become really bad regular tires.  And rightfully so as that's not their purpose.

I'm going to put our winter set on in the next week or so.  I think work is going to take me down to HSV for about a month and by the time I get back I'm going to get 'weather shock', lol.

Noted.  I'll have to start researching...  :D

I am quite concerned about this 50 degree upper limit though.  :-/  As I'm sure you know, it could be snowing one day and 55 the next (more of a spring-time phenomenon, but still).  I'm not confident I'd have the snow tires on/off at the appropriate times of the year.  Hmm...

Also, lol you will definitely have some weather shock if that timing works out as I think it might.  :))

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1312 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 14:40:10 »

Noted.  I'll have to start researching...  :D

I am quite concerned about this 50 degree upper limit though.  :-/  As I'm sure you know, it could be snowing one day and 55 the next (more of a spring-time phenomenon, but still).  I'm not confident I'd have the snow tires on/off at the appropriate times of the year.  Hmm...

Also, lol you will definitely have some weather shock if that timing works out as I think it might.  :))
Don't take the 50 as an upper limit, it just degrades after that.  I've driven down to HSV on them when it was 80, but my handling and braking sucked in comparison to the re760 summer meats.  I usually keep them on until April and put them on just when it starts getting cold since I don't have a garage to work on the car in MKE like I do in HSV.

That weather shock is no joke either!  We've only been in MKE for 2 years now and at first we were like, hey we can handle this--and then the real cold came in and cut through our clothes like Jason.  We have all the real gear now--winter jackets, snow boots, lined hoodies, gloves, so we're good now.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1313 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:38:33 »
Snow tires are definitely important especially in the snow belt.  I'm in NY and I drive a 2011 STI. It has dedicated winter and summer meat.  She gets Dunlop Wintersport 4Ds in the winter and then Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s for racing season.  I am slightly nervous this year because my last track day is November 3rd and it's likely going to be cold.  I'm hoping I can get the tires warm enough to be grippy...

Obligatory pictures:

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:40:34 by JiveMasterT »

Offline dante

« Reply #1314 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:49:12 »
I wish Subaru would come out with something between the base Impreza and the WRX w/ the CVT.

The base Impreza is too wimpy, while the WRX is more than I need - plus I'd like to do away with the hood scoop and get less "steal me" alloys.  Say 180hp'ish?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1315 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:49:35 »
Lovely!  I love the STIs.  A good friend of mine has a really nice modded bug-eye wrx and then a hawk-eye STI.  When he sold the hawk eye for a bmw 330 he was a little sad.

I wanted to get us an old outback or gc for the mke snow, but my wife wanted all the new fangled gizmos so we couldn't afford one.  :(  Couldn't be happier with our Kizashi though.  It's a very capable car in its own right and is quite fun to drive.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1316 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:57:03 »

I wish Subaru would come out with something between the base Impreza and the WRX w/ the CVT.

The base Impreza is too wimpy, while the WRX is more than I need - plus I'd like to do away with the hood scoop and get less "steal me" alloys.  Say 180hp'ish?

Honestly the Impreza is pretty quick for what it is and they drive nicely. Subaru has done a pretty good job of not making them feel anemic. I daily a 1998 Impreza wagon with a 2.2L and like 120hp. It can definitely get moving.

Have you driven a CVT? I always feel like I'm driving a rubber band when I'm behind the wheel of one. Then again I've only ever owned manual cars.

Offline dante

« Reply #1317 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:01:59 »

Honestly the Impreza is pretty quick for what it is and they drive nicely. Subaru has done a pretty good job of not making them feel anemic. I daily a 1998 Impreza wagon with a 2.2L and like 120hp. It can definitely get moving.

Have you driven a CVT? I always feel like I'm driving a rubber band when I'm behind the wheel of one. Then again I've only ever owned manual cars.

I haven't yet; but I know with absolute certainty my next ride will be automatic.   I've read that not all CVT's are alike and some are better than others.  The one in the WRX is supposed to be one of the best.

You can only get the CVT in the Premium spec WRX - and that includes a sunroof which I do not want.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1318 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:04:03 »
Ah I see. You could check out the Legacy too. I think they have a CVT option at various trim levels.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1319 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:25:55 »
Snow tires are definitely important especially in the snow belt.

Continuing this discussion from before: I always see comments like this coming from car enthusiasts with typically high-powered cars, which then makes sense as to why snow tires are a necessity.  Are they that important for us regular folk driving average cars?  As I've probably mentioned, I've never used snow tires before and honestly not that many people that I know seem to use them.  Then again, they all drive trucks...

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1320 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:30:06 »

Continuing this discussion from before: I always see comments like this coming from car enthusiasts with typically high-powered cars, which then makes sense as to why snow tires are a necessity.  Are they that important for us regular folk driving average cars?  As I've probably mentioned, I've never used snow tires before and honestly not that many people that I know seem to use them.  Then again, they all drive trucks...

A set of cheap winter tires probably still preforms better than a set of expensive all season's in winter conditions.
I've had set of all season that i thought were good in winter but once i actually put on a set of winter tires i knew i'd have to do it for the rest of my life (well, except that i don't live in a place that has snow now =D)
But yeah, at least buy a set of used winters to just try it out. you owe yourself that.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1321 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:31:55 »

Hell, i live in michigan and drove on max performance summer tires. Bridgestone potenza re050a.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1322 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:33:34 »

Hell, i live in michigan and drove on max performance summer tires. Bridgestone potenza re050a.

The first year I had my Subaru STI I got completely stuck and unable to move in about 3 inches of snow with the factory summer tires. The following year we had a surprise ice storm in late October before I had a chance to put my winter tires on and I can remember sitting in traffic and the car was just slowly sliding off the road. Please don't drive on summer tires during winter weather. It's really dangerous.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1323 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:35:07 »
If you want to drive around with all seasons on your car then that's probably "fine" but the night and day difference between winter tires and all seasons is pretty incredible.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1324 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:42:22 »

A set of cheap winter tires probably still preforms better than a set of expensive all season's in winter conditions.
I've had set of all season that i thought were good in winter but once i actually put on a set of winter tires i knew i'd have to do it for the rest of my life (well, except that i don't live in a place that has snow now =D)
But yeah, at least buy a set of used winters to just try it out. you owe yourself that.

Noted!  I'll definitely research it.  :thumb:  Part of me wants to go one winter with all-season so I can get a baseline though.  :P  I won't know if the winter tires help if I've never driven the car in the snow before.  :))

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1325 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:44:23 »
Blizzacks are pretty much the cheapest winter tires you can get and they are still much better than an all season. TireRack does specials with a set of cheap wheels and blizzacks around this time of year. They even sent me free lug nuts to match the wheels because my OEM lug nuts wouldn't work.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1326 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:59:03 »
Blizzacks are pretty much the cheapest winter tires you can get and they are still much better than an all season. TireRack does specials with a set of cheap wheels and blizzacks around this time of year. They even sent me free lug nuts to match the wheels because my OEM lug nuts wouldn't work.

Cool!  I didn't realize I could order tires online...  :eek:  This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  ^-^ 

* HoffmanMyster dives in

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1327 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:21:39 »
I had a set of Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on an Audi A4 and Michelin X-Ice XI3 on an Acura TL and they're both great winter tires.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1328 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:37:03 »
Must resist the urge to pick up some dedicated track rims for bday... :(

This is a really fun hobby, but things get A LOT more expensive quick.

Also, I fully agree with winter tires being mandatory, if not for only one reason: Silica compounds in winter tires allow them to remain soft at temps under 7 deg. C. All seasons and summer tires will harden up and become dangerous, while winter tires actually become grippier/safer/softer below 7 deg. C.

It's a common misconception that winter tires are for specifically for the snow; it really is not. It's for low temps and making sure your grip is still good. :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #1329 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:51:20 »
For reference, most "all-season" tires start losing grip at around 40 degrees. That's right, before we even get to freezing temperatures. Doesn't even have to be wet out. On the other hand, winter tires get a little wonky in warmer temperatures. Not that big a deal, just don't corner as fast. On my breeze, the winters feel a little disconnected when its warmer out, but its not dangerous or anything. Like there's a thin layer of foam on the ground. They don't lose grip, its just not as stable feeling.

The reason is quite simple: the rubber compound in winter tires is too soft in warmer temperatures. They'll grip the road, but they wear out tremendously fast in warmer temperatures. And because they're softer, they feel kinda squishy. The rubber compound in "all-season" and summer tires is too hard - at anything below their recommended operating temperature, there's not enough give in the rubber to accommodate grip. So, they slide across the ground instead. But, this allows them to offer better grip and feel in moderate (all-season) to warm (summer) temperatures.

All season tires don't excel at any time of year, hence why they're regularly called no-season tires. You actually don't spend any more money on tires in the long run running winter and summer tires, as your tires will wear out much slower too.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1330 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 17:07:44 »
Ah I see. You could check out the Legacy too. I think they have a CVT option at various trim levels.
The Legacy CVT is nice.  We test drove a Legacy Limited but couldn't afford it. :(  Very roomy too.
They're important because you can only stop as well as you can grip. ;)

Our first snow in the Kizashi was on the stock all-seasons.  Our first turn was...straight.  And the other drivers were much, much worse.  That was the most white knuckled drive back home that winter.  We didn't take the car out for a month after that.
Actually the General Altimax Arctics are cheaper--and much more highly rated.  I researched tires for a month before deciding on a set and this will be their third winter.
Cool!  I didn't realize I could order tires online...  :eek:  This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  ^-^ 

* HoffmanMyster dives in
Not just tires, but wheels, electrical accessories, factory parts and accessories, performance parts, and more...

You thought keyboards were expensive!  Wait until you enter this hobby!

For reference, most "all-season" tires start losing grip at around 40 degrees. That's right, before we even get to freezing temperatures. Doesn't even have to be wet out. On the other hand, winter tires get a little wonky in warmer temperatures. Not that big a deal, just don't corner as fast. On my breeze, the winters feel a little disconnected when its warmer out, but its not dangerous or anything. Like there's a thin layer of foam on the ground. They don't lose grip, its just not as stable feeling.

The reason is quite simple: the rubber compound in winter tires is too soft in warmer temperatures. They'll grip the road, but they wear out tremendously fast in warmer temperatures. And because they're softer, they feel kinda squishy. The rubber compound in "all-season" and summer tires is too hard - at anything below their recommended operating temperature, there's not enough give in the rubber to accommodate grip. So, they slide across the ground instead. But, this allows them to offer better grip and feel in moderate (all-season) to warm (summer) temperatures.

All season tires don't excel at any time of year, hence why they're regularly called no-season tires. You actually don't spend any more money on tires in the long run running winter and summer tires, as your tires will wear out much slower too.

Show Image

Well said.  Some really good stuff in there.
Must resist the urge to pick up some dedicated track rims for bday... :(

Show Image

This is a really fun hobby, but things get A LOT more expensive quick.

Also, I fully agree with winter tires being mandatory, if not for only one reason: Silica compounds in winter tires allow them to remain soft at temps under 7 deg. C. All seasons and summer tires will harden up and become dangerous, while winter tires actually become grippier/safer/softer below 7 deg. C.

It's a common misconception that winter tires are for specifically for the snow; it really is not. It's for low temps and making sure your grip is still good. :)
Yep, a simple 'splurge' in the car enthusiast hobby is a $1000+.  Makes $300 for a keyboard seem cheap by comparison.

And not only is it the rubber being used, but tread design in conjunction with the rubber.  A well-designed snow tire uses all these properties together to achieve things you can with the wrong combo.  Kinda like some of the custom boards here with the right switches and the right keycaps. ;)  ^-^

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1331 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 18:39:18 »
I'm relatively new to GH and mechs in general but I'm a long time car enthusiast. He're a few pics of my Supercharged 88 Toyota MR2.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1332 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 18:42:46 »
Hot. I love MR2s. You just do AutoX with it? Or you get it out for HPDEs too?

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1333 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:05:50 »
I have been meaning to do HPDE but I haven't gotten around to it, so only autox for now. I only really do like one event a year to kill the itch.

Here's another pic with my friends now defunct turbo miata.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1334 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:11:53 »
I have been meaning to do HPDE but I haven't gotten around to it, so only autox for now. I only really do like one event a year to kill the itch.

Show Image

Pfft, it's all about the 90's

.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1335 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:18:09 »

Show Image

Great, now I have an itch to turn my headlights off while delivering tofu.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1336 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:25:05 »

They might've driven in the 90s but that AE86, the FC and them old Silvias were all 80s awesomeness ;)

And since I saw some discussion about winter driving here's my former daily during a northeast winter

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1337 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 02:28:05 »

Show Image

All kinds of awesome! I love both those cars. Great "driver" cars.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1338 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:13:34 »
I want a Skoda  :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1339 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:16:04 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1340 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:28:15 »
I want a Skoda  :(

I want a BAC Mono.

Ooo, those are cool. Like the KTM Xbow. But that's pretty selfish as you already bought a new car :P

I've been investigating getting a Skoda Octavia VRS. I'm thinking of waiting until some point next week and getting myself a brand new one. I'm enquiring about test drives at the moment, and I am pretty dead set on getting one. I wouldn't hand over the Golf though :)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1341 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:33:31 »
I know nothing about the Skoda, lol. Definitely wouldn't give up the Gold,  though. I love those things. And it's not selfish! Everyone needs a dedicated track car...or three.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1342 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:42:42 »
I know nothing about the Skoda, lol. Definitely wouldn't give up the Gold,  though. I love those things. And it's not selfish! Everyone needs a dedicated track car...or three.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like something that would appeal to the American market.

It's basically a Golf. It has the Golf running gear, and the petrol VRS version has the Golf GTI engine in it. It's got like 620 litres of boot space in the estate, it manages 0-60 in like 7 seconds, low emissions, actually quite a decent mpg (like 45 combined) and all for under £35k with all the extras.

And it's quite pretty too. IMO.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1343 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:35:37 »
Nice Mr2s!  I thought we were the only region that did the painters tape numbers, haha.  The best part was when a part of the tape fell off and your number changed to the ftd car of the day, lol!

Very pretty cars!  Too bad we didn't get the Skoda's here, but they basically are the same as the Volkswagons we get here in the states.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #1344 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 23:09:25 »
Ended up selling my E30 iX because I missed my 91 Miata too much. Now I have a Montego Blue 1997 NA:

And obligatory Eva sticker, of course:

This is my first experience with the 1.8 motor, and I like it sooooo much better than the 1.6 so far. The car is set up for E-Stock autox and is sitting on 15x6 NB wheels wrapped in 205/50/15 BFGoodrich gForce Rival tires. It has an a pretty aggressive alignment (can't remember exactly what settings, have to refer back to the sheet), Koni STR struts, a Racing Beat solid front swaybar, and it's a great DD so far.  ;D Gonna garage it for the winter, though. Pittsburgh salt took its toll on my last Miata, and I'm not about to let this one suffer the same fate. On the interior there's an NB wheel to replace that god awful stock 4 spoke. Right now I have a silver Blackbird Fabworx GT3 4 point rollbar being made for me by Moti (the most awesome bro there is, fellow Miata owners). Can't wait to install it!
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2015, 23:11:26 by Xonar »
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1345 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 03:45:04 »
Ended up selling my E30 iX because I missed my 91 Miata too much. Now I have a Montego Blue 1997 NA:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is my first experience with the 1.8 motor, and I like it sooooo much better than the 1.6 so far. The car is set up for E-Stock autox and is sitting on 15x6 NB wheels wrapped in 205/50/15 BFGoodrich gForce Rival tires. It has an a pretty aggressive alignment (can't remember exactly what settings, have to refer back to the sheet), Koni STR struts, a Racing Beat solid front swaybar, and it's a great DD so far.  ;D Gonna garage it for the winter, though. Pittsburgh salt took its toll on my last Miata, and I'm not about to let this one suffer the same fate. On the interior there's an NB wheel to replace that god awful stock 4 spoke. Right now I have a silver Blackbird Fabworx GT3 4 point rollbar being made for me by Moti (the most awesome bro there is, fellow Miata owners). Can't wait to install it!

Super jelly... I really like how you roll! That NB wheel suits the car better than I thought it would. I've seen some really naff aftermarket steering wheels on NA cars, this looks WAY better. How do you like that gearchange? :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1346 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 06:25:20 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice pick up! Last year and montego blue, gotta love it. Good luck with it!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1347 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:37:46 »
Very sweet!  I've always loved that color.  It's amazing how when seeking a car that's a blast to drive, the older Miatas keep popping up, even today.

For the Milwaukee salt, which is almost 6mos of the year, I've picked up some liquid wrench and fluid film protectants for our Kizashi.  Even after one year I saw rust underneath, which is something I never think about with my cars in HSV.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1348 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:05:06 »
Very sweet!  I've always loved that color.  It's amazing how when seeking a car that's a blast to drive, the older Miatas keep popping up, even today.

For the Milwaukee salt, which is almost 6mos of the year, I've picked up some liquid wrench and fluid film protectants for our Kizashi.  Even after one year I saw rust underneath, which is something I never think about with my cars in HSV.

Northern winters show no mercy.  :(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1349 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 11:22:30 »
Northern winters show no mercy.  :(
Seriously.  Especially here in southern Canada, lol.