Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649581 times)

Offline MykB77

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1350 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:09:13 »
Got a Veloster Turbo 6 spd manual.   Fun, fairly fast, and 6.4l/100 on the highway.  Corners great too, it is pretty close to 50/50 balance.  Just does some interesting things when you hit bumps with only one set of wheels and not both (darting).  Oh, matte gray too.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1351 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 01:20:03 »
Nice.  I've always wondered how those were.  They definitely seem fun.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1352 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 01:50:11 »
Got a Veloster Turbo 6 spd manual.   Fun, fairly fast, and 6.4l/100 on the highway.  Corners great too, it is pretty close to 50/50 balance.  Just does some interesting things when you hit bumps with only one set of wheels and not both (darting).  Oh, matte gray too.

Mmmm the matte gray looks amazing.  Nice choice.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1353 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:03:21 »
BTW Sent, I noticed you had some AWE Tuning goodies on your Audi. I do media work for them from time to time.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1354 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 14:44:41 »
Test drive booked for Friday :3 I'm so excited. I just hope they remember that it's actually the VRS I want to look at and not the bog standard one...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline dante

« Reply #1355 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:51:32 »

During your test drives did you have a chance to try the Veloster Turbo w/ 7 speed DCT?

Offline MykB77

« Reply #1356 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:54:26 »

During your test drives did you have a chance to try the Veloster Turbo w/ 7 speed DCT?
Mines a 2013 bought first year.  Haven't tried the newer but if they are as good or better, fantastic car.  If you don't need the back seats, FRS is another fun car too.

Offline dante

« Reply #1357 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:15:02 »

Mines a 2013 bought first year.  Haven't tried the newer but if they are as good or better, fantastic car.  If you don't need the back seats, FRS is another fun car too.

Ah ok.  I was just curious how Hyundais application of the dual clutch was working out.  2015 and Ford is still having issues with theirs.  VW's DSG is a crap shoot and requires $400 fluid changes...

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1358 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:30:12 »
I would love to own an M3 some day, I really like the E46.
I currently own a 06 R53 Cooper S with the Dinan signature package: exhaust, strut, S3 suspension , boost package, etc. It's a lot of fun to drive I don't ever plan on selling or trading it in for anything else. I don't know if there are any other Mini enthusiasts here but I think it's safe to say all other S models just really went downhill in performance and body style.

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 13:41:33 by Jema »

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1359 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 17:47:24 »
I currently own a 06 R53 Cooper S with the Dinan signature package: exhaust, strut, S3 suspension , boost package, etc. It's a lot of fun to drive I don't ever plan on selling or trading it in for anything else. I don't know if there are any other Mini enthusiasts here but I think it's safe to say all other S models just really went downhill in performance and body style.

Here are a couple pics of my car:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm hoping to have it look like this soon:

Show Image

Saving up for the aero kit, side skirts, and OZ wheels. $$$$

Nice Mini! Those things handle awesome and with that Dinan package I'm sure it moves pretty good too. Love the color and good call on trying to get the OZ wheels. They look so good on that car.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline MykB77

« Reply #1360 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:50:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice build!!  Love the side profile pic.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #1361 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:42:58 »
Found an R.S. Aizawa ITB kit for my Miata... time to sell my soul (and several keyboards).
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1362 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 17:57:56 »
It's a lot of fun to drive I don't ever plan on selling or trading it in for anything else. I don't know if there are any other Mini enthusiasts here but I think it's safe to say all other S models just really went downhill in performance and body style.

Yes they did.  It's like they killed the soul of the car.  Why do manufacturers do that?  Make something great and then kill what made it great in hopes to make it 'popular'.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1363 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 18:16:07 »
BTW Sent, I noticed you had some AWE Tuning goodies on your Audi. I do media work for them from time to time.

Oh, that's awesome.  I've been debating grabbing their exhaust but the price is just silly. :rolleyes:

Found an R.S. Aizawa ITB kit for my Miata... time to sell my soul (and several keyboards).

ITB's!  Yeesssss.  Mmmm those redlines.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #1364 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:20:12 »

Oh, that's awesome.  I've been debating grabbing their exhaust but the price is just silly. :rolleyes:

More like, mmmmm, that throttle response!

All the ITBs for my car are custom one-offs so far :(

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1365 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:02:42 »
Has anyone coded a BMW before? Or any other German cars for that matter?

I'm currently playing around with the BMW plant software and gonna see if I can get some hacks worked out ;)

DVD in motion, euro hazard lights, digital speedometer in the middle of the dash, etc.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1366 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:45:14 »
I'm sure it's been done or can be done.  That's the one benefit now of the cars being this computer controlled.

The disadvantage is the computer can get glitches like any other computer.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1367 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:59:11 »
Has anyone coded a BMW before? Or any other German cars for that matter?

I'm currently playing around with the BMW plant software and gonna see if I can get some hacks worked out ;)

DVD in motion, euro hazard lights, digital speedometer in the middle of the dash, etc.

Never done it with a BMW but I don't see it being any harder than the VAGCOM for VW's/Audi's.  The stuff you can play around with and change is pretty sweet. :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1368 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 03:13:25 »
Haha, it's fun stuff, using their archaic factory plant software XD

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1369 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 07:42:54 »
lol.  I have an older version of the Mitsubishi parts program.  It's amazing how badly coded some of these applications are for car service.  Makes you wonder sometimes...

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #1370 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:57:44 »
Sooooo I ****ed up hard on Friday...
The tree sort of was in the middle of the road after my car was done with it.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1371 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:15:31 »

Owch :( a write off?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #1372 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:46:15 »

Turning right leaving a stop sign, too much gas. Overcorrected, and then there was a lovely little tree. 110% my fault. Gonna take a look tomorrow after school. So far I was able to see bumper, bumper supports, hood, bit of the fender and bit of the door.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1373 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:32:20 »
Anyone into the stance scene here? I remember seeing a member with a lowered subaru with some mildly aggressive wheels
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1374 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 15:36:15 »

Turning right leaving a stop sign, too much gas. Overcorrected, and then there was a lovely little tree. 110% my fault. Gonna take a look tomorrow after school. So far I was able to see bumper, bumper supports, hood, bit of the fender and bit of the door.

**** =/ Maybe best not to report it to your insurers hah.

Anyone into the stance scene here? I remember seeing a member with a lowered subaru with some mildly aggressive wheels

I would say I am into it as in I like how they look, but my car isn't lower than stock. I think that was HWood just posting pictures of stanced Imprezas :P

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1375 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:33:48 »

**** =/ Maybe best not to report it to your insurers hah.

I would say I am into it as in I like how they look, but my car isn't lower than stock. I think that was HWood just posting pictures of stanced Imprezas :P

It was probably him!

I used to drive a stanced GS Lowered with natural camber. New car is in the works.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1376 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:04:33 »
Anyone into the stance scene here?
Ah yes, the unsafe tire mod!  We started called it UTM.

While for appearance purposes it has its own flair, driving such a car is dangerous since the sidewalls of a tire were never designed for that type of installation.  One good contact with the fender and it's gone...

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #1377 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:06:19 »

More like, mmmmm, that throttle response!

All the ITBs for my car are custom one-offs so far :(

This kit I found is apparently the only one ever imported to America from Japan... TWM and Jenvey make nice ITBs for the Miata but this one is just mmmmmmm.  :eek: It's lost its original tune though so I imagine it's going to bankrupt me before I get it working (that is, if I do decide to jump on it.)
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1378 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 03:34:56 »

While for appearance purposes it has its own flair, driving such a car is dangerous since the sidewalls of a tire were never designed for that type of installation.  One good contact with the fender and it's gone...

I'm not running anything that aggressive by any means, and most of the camber is natural camber from being lowered!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1379 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:46:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice Mini! Those things handle awesome and with that Dinan package I'm sure it moves pretty good too. Love the color and good call on trying to get the OZ wheels. They look so good on that car.

Thanks! It's been a work in progress for sure. BUT I'm already onto new goals: somedaaaayyyyy

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1380 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:35:21 »

Not sure if you're talking about my STI or not... My car has a fairly aggressive wheel and tire setup even for some "stance" people but it's purpose built and aligned for track events. I have too much wheel gap for a fancy show car.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1381 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:48:35 »

To me it ruins the performance. For street driving you can't go over speed bumps/driveways without scraping. That said, I like stanced cars, and I love looking at them, but I would never own one.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1382 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:51:52 »

Not sure if you're talking about my STI or not... My car has a fairly aggressive wheel and tire setup even for some "stance" people but it's purpose built and aligned for track events. I have too much wheel gap for a fancy show car.

I would love to see a picture of it!

To me it ruins the performance. For street driving you can't go over speed bumps/driveways without scraping. That said, I like stanced cars, and I love looking at them, but I would never own one.

I know exactly what you mean! It's really a lifestyle, you have a drive a different way, take different routes, avoid different streets etc... (unless you have air)

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1383 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:28:03 »

It looks nice!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:32:03 by Jema »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1384 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:46:00 »

I'm not running anything that aggressive by any means, and most of the camber is natural camber from being lowered!
Most people don't, but I've seen cars on the highway before thinking, "I will pass them and keep them behind me because when that bump coming up gets them, I will want them behind me."  :eek:

Be safe!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1385 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:49:58 »

Most people don't, but I've seen cars on the highway before thinking, "I will pass them and keep them behind me because when that bump coming up gets them, I will want them behind me."  :eek:

Be safe!
Isn't this why hellaflush cars are banned in Quebec.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1386 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:45:09 »

Be safe!
LOL!  Really?  I didn't think that a certain 'style' of cars would be banned anywhere.  :eek:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1387 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:19:36 »
LOL!  Really?  I didn't think that a certain 'style' of cars would be banned anywhere.  :eek:

They say it's because it makes the cars less capable and thus less safe. Honestly, not a terrible idea, crazy stance is stupid to drive on without bags.

http://jalopnik.com/the-fascists-in-quebec-just-banned-your-hellaflush-car-1609831093
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1388 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:09:45 »

Be safe!

Definitely , what your talking about is like is something like this, which I believe everyone first thinks about when they think about stretch.

I've been driving on mildly stretched tires for 5+ years without 1 problem. the most important part is you don't run them down to the cord and constantly check PSI. Hell I haven't even had excess wear (proper alignment with a little negative natural camber, toe set close to zero as possible).

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1389 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:31:02 »

I posted some a few pages back.  Here's some more recent pictures I took...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1390 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:55:14 »

They say it's because it makes the cars less capable and thus less safe. Honestly, not a terrible idea, crazy stance is stupid to drive on without bags.

http://jalopnik.com/the-fascists-in-quebec-just-banned-your-hellaflush-car-1609831093
I don't fault them, but I'm just afraid of what type of precedence this sets.

In the HSV area, a sound ordinance started with 'loud stereo unlawful' and now even exhaust systems are targeted.  What about the stupid dog in my parent's back yard that like to bark 24x7?  Where's the ordinance for that monster?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1391 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:05:11 »

Be safe!

Definitely , what your talking about is like is something like this, which I believe everyone first thinks about when they think about stretch.

I've been driving on mildly stretched tires for 5+ years without 1 problem. the most important part is you don't run them down to the cord and constantly check PSI. Hell I haven't even had excess wear (proper alignment with a little negative natural camber, toe set close to zero as possible).

I'm even thinking of the BMW just a few posts up.  But it all depends on how well the maintenance is.  Someone like yourself--I'd never worry because you'd be worried before me.  :thumb:

But there's too many out there for the 'look' at all costs, and that can spell trouble...

Show Image

Show Image

Lovely dynamic range in those shots!  If you have a long lens, set the aperture low one day (2.8-4.0 would be ideal) and take the same shots--they should have a lovely bokeh on the background making the car pop.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1392 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:06:51 »

I swear to god...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1393 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:16:41 »

I swear to god...

;)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1394 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 00:10:27 »

Be safe!

I'm even thinking of the BMW just a few posts up.  But it all depends on how well the maintenance is.  Someone like yourself--I'd never worry because you'd be worried before me.  :thumb:

But there's too many out there for the 'look' at all costs, and that can spell trouble...

Show Image

Show Image

Lovely dynamic range in those shots!  If you have a long lens, set the aperture low one day (2.8-4.0 would be ideal) and take the same shots--they should have a lovely bokeh on the background making the car pop.

The HDR looks really good! Also love the enkeis

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline slushi

« Reply #1395 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 00:34:41 »
Funny that I came here to post that I have a 2011 STI and theres already one a couple posts above me! Hiya fellow subie owner!  :p

HHKB Pro 2

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1396 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:47:34 »
Hello there!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1397 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:57:34 »
<---- Loves subies and wishes he had one. :(

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1398 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:16:17 »
I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let you pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:20:50 by Jema »

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1399 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:27:20 »
I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:
A friend and I got a test drive in a wrx, no problem. They wouldn't let us take the sti out though.

A friend of mine has a sick '91 miata with a custom Turbo on it (this was done before that mighty car mods video) the previous owner had it up to 240hp, but then blew the engine. He rebuilt the motor pretty much from scratch then sold it.

The car has been super reliable and a lot of fun to drive (I'm the only other person he lets drive it, since I found it on a forum for him). The turbo pulls hard, and it's only making 190hp right now. A wonderful little car, for sure.