Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649502 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1400 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:25:41 »
I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let you pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:
There's a dealership in HSV like that.  I once went there with my bank statement and a checkbook to let them know I was serious but needed to test drive one first.  They still didn't let me. 
I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:
A friend and I got a test drive in a wrx, no problem. They wouldn't let us take the sti out though.

A friend of mine has a sick '91 miata with a custom Turbo on it (this was done before that mighty car mods video) the previous owner had it up to 240hp, but then blew the engine. He rebuilt the motor pretty much from scratch then sold it.

The car has been super reliable and a lot of fun to drive (I'm the only other person he lets drive it, since I found it on a forum for him). The turbo pulls hard, and it's only making 190hp right now. A wonderful little car, for sure.
Turbo Miatas are so much fun!  Such zippy little cars.  There's a guy in HSV that once brought one out to an autocross that had a monster miata v8 conversion done.  :eek:  He was never able to even mash the pedal more than 1/4.  :))

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1401 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:30:02 »
I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:
A friend and I got a test drive in a wrx, no problem. They wouldn't let us take the sti out though.

A friend of mine has a sick '91 miata with a custom Turbo on it (this was done before that mighty car mods video) the previous owner had it up to 240hp, but then blew the engine. He rebuilt the motor pretty much from scratch then sold it.

The car has been super reliable and a lot of fun to drive (I'm the only other person he lets drive it, since I found it on a forum for him). The turbo pulls hard, and it's only making 190hp right now. A wonderful little car, for sure.

I LOVE watching those guys on Mighty Car Mods! Yeah I dunno maybe the Subaru dealerships around here are just too pretentious which wouldn't surprise me. They say they don't want to put miles on the new ones by having people test drive #whateve.
I bet that Miata sounds awesome!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1402 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:05:27 »

I LOVE watching those guys on Mighty Car Mods! Yeah I dunno maybe the Subaru dealerships around here are just too pretentious which wouldn't surprise me. They say they don't want to put miles on the new ones by having people test drive #whateve.
It does, it's got just the right kind of sounds to it, it's nice and quiet when you're cruising on the highway, but it can also get loud and growly if you step on it. It's a great car!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1403 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:18:50 »

I don't understand how they can expect a customer to pay without test driving...

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1404 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:40:56 »

I don't understand how they can expect a customer to pay without test driving...
I think the main thing is that you have to demonstrate that you're serious about buying the car. So, if you show them that you're able to front the money, should something happen to the car, or should you like it, then you'll buy it. If you drive it and decide you don't like it, then you should be able to walk away.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1405 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:55:45 »

I think the main thing is that you have to demonstrate that you're serious about buying the car. So, if you show them that you're able to front the money, should something happen to the car, or should you like it, then you'll buy it. If you drive it and decide you don't like it, then you should be able to walk away.

I understand that they need to know you're serious, but Samir just shared a story where he was still denied, despite showing proof of interest and money. Just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't buy the car no matter how much I wanted it, simply out of principle.  :P

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1406 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:00:57 »

I understand that they need to know you're serious, but Samir just shared a story where he was still denied, despite showing proof of interest and money. Just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't buy the car no matter how much I wanted it, simply out of principle. 
Wow. That's stupid. You should come fly to Tacoma, Washington, they'll let you test drive a wrx, at the very least!!!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1407 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:09:40 »
I despise dealerships, I feel so taken advantage of. It was a horrible experience buying my Mini, they lied about work that needed to be done, etc. BUT I had it all fixed before my 3 day warranty was up and I love my car so I guess it was all worth it..  :thumb: minus the agreed upon final sale amount lol

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1408 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:53:05 »
Oh the best one I've faced for no test drive--Nissan GT-R.  Sitting on the showroom floor for months.  Dealership would not allow anyone to drive it until the paperwork was DONE.  Yep, it was yours even if you didn't like it.  You could test drive a Porsche Turbo down the street but the GT-R wasn't going to be that way.  They actually sold it to someone I know that had secured a deal on an identical one two states away for $65k.  He told the local dealership if they would match that deal, he'd pick it up instead--and they caved.

Dealerships can be the worst enemies.  For the sales part, I like how there's this one company that shows you where you can test drive a car with no pressure and then if you like it, you tell them what you want, they source it and deliver it to your door cheaper than a dealership.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1409 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:25:14 »
GTR is a more reasonable no being priced at $100k. I wouldn't want to test drive that I'd be too scared something stupid would happen and have to pay them off the rest of my life

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1410 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:52:13 »

I've been wanting to test drive a WRX or STI to compare it to my car, but they don't let you pretty much until after you buy it  :rolleyes:

They did that to me with an Evo. Went down the street and bought an STI instead. I don't get it.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1411 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:55:16 »
GTR is a more reasonable no being priced at $100k. I wouldn't want to test drive that I'd be too scared something stupid would happen and have to pay them off the rest of my life
They're a difficult machine to get into trouble with if you understand fear.  Cars of this caliber will scare you because you'll be far past any edge you've ever driven and the car isn't even close to its limit.  I had the opportunity to rent a Porsche 997 Turbo when they first came out.  Stupid silly some of the things I was able to do once I got used to the just regular capabilities of the car, forget the limit--merging gracefully into traffic from a standstill was my favorite.  That was just sick.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1412 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:50:57 »
They're a difficult machine to get into trouble with if you understand fear.  Cars of this caliber will scare you because you'll be far past any edge you've ever driven and the car isn't even close to its limit.  I had the opportunity to rent a Porsche 997 Turbo when they first came out.  Stupid silly some of the things I was able to do once I got used to the just regular capabilities of the car, forget the limit--merging gracefully into traffic from a standstill was my favorite.  That was just sick.

Ahh I can't imagine driving something with that much hp! My car is super zippy but only has about 200hp. How were you able to rent one? I would so take advantage of something like that for a weekend

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1413 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 21:38:19 »
200hp sounds amazing for a daily. My daily doesn't even come close (1997 Impreza Wagon L). Whenever I get into the STI it feels like a monster. I try to drive it a bunch before a track day so the power isn't so overwhelming. I would love to track a BRZ or an FRS with sub 200hp. I feel like it would be insanely fun.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1414 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 22:40:39 »
You learn something new everyday! That STI thing is stupid. How the hell do they expect you to get a feel for the STi and even potentially buy it if they don't let you test drive it (even when you show them your checkbook, account, etc.)

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline JiveMasterT

Car Thread
« Reply #1415 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:01:05 »
Some dealers treat them like super cars. The dealer I bought mine from said "It's not a Ferrari." and sold it to me for a price I deemed acceptable. You just have to shop around for a dealer that will both let you drive one and order one with the options you want (you don't want any options).

On the test drive of my first STI I raced a Corvette and won... Soooo... I kinda understand their reluctance to do test drives.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:05:43 by JiveMasterT »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1416 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:06:58 »

Ahh I can't imagine driving something with that much hp! My car is super zippy but only has about 200hp. How were you able to rent one? I would so take advantage of something like that for a weekend
It's a type of rentals known as 'exotic rentals'.  There's various different companies that do it in major cities.  The ATL airport even has a special division of Enterprise that does it.  :eek:

It's not like your normal rental.  There's strict rules and hefty deposits as well as insurance checks as your insurance has to be able to cover the car.  In the case of the 997 Turbo, that was $150k insurance coverage and 500k liability.  Plus a 15k deposit on my credit card.  You couldn't have the car over 90 for more than 10 seconds or they would remotely disable the car and pick it up, no refund.  And miles were limited to under 100.  The car when 0-100 in under 10 seconds and could brake pretty well, so I did get it up to triple digits just once but then back down again quick.   Oh, and then there's the rental fee.  It's usually about $100/hr on something like that.  I got a bit of a deal though since they messed up on the delivery time of the car, so I got 24hrs for about $1300.

But if you time it right you can have some serious fun for cheap.  Our last trip to ATL they had the new Maserati Ghiblis at the ATL airport for only $199/day!  But they were sold out even though they have 4. :(  They made me an offer on the r8 spyder for only $550/day, but I hate the way that car drives even if it does look awesome so I passed.  Besides, the wife looked at me like, 'hell no'.  :))

I've rented a Boxster in Chicago for only $150/day, and could have rented the Aston Vantage as it had just come out, but it was about $300/day and I didn't want to risk it since I didn't know the car's ground clearance very well.  The front nose on the Astons can be as much as $25k to replace since they're carbon fibre.  :eek:

Ferraris/Lambos are usually $1200/day and they're always the ones people get when there are cars just as fun for less.

It's a lot easier than people think, and it's money well spent if you're a car nut.
200hp sounds amazing for a daily. My daily doesn't even come close (1997 Impreza Wagon L). Whenever I get into the STI it feels like a monster. I try to drive it a bunch before a track day so the power isn't so overwhelming. I would love to track a BRZ or an FRS with sub 200hp. I feel like it would be insanely fun.
I sat in a fully loaded BRZ at the local dealership and just felt so planted even sitting still.  I know that car had a lot of hype on how fun it is to drive, and it lived up to it from all the people that I know that own them.  I can't wait until I get a chance to drive one.
You learn something new everyday! That STI thing is stupid. How the hell do they expect you to get a feel for the STi and even potentially buy it if they don't let you test drive it (even when you show them your checkbook, account, etc.)

Beats me.  I had over 100k cash in that account too.  I could have bought almost 5 of them, lol.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1417 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:21:50 »
I have a manual 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4l Turbo, after installing a new cat back exhaust, intercooler piping, cold air intake, and a tune it drives pretty nice. I can't complain for it being my first car, I worked a lot during high school to afford the parts and installed them myself, had a buddy's dad dyno it and it hovering around 220bhp. It's been treating me well up at college, when I go home during some weekends my dad will let me drive his bmw z4 :D. I usually will wash and fill it up for him afterwards, I tend to put a few miles on :p. I'm planning for my first car out of college to be a gtr hehe, got to have something to strive for.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:27:33 »
Not for nothing I love the sound of a Dart turbo with an exhaust. They sound downright dirty and ready to mess stuff up. I love it. 220hp in a light car like that is awesome.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1419 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:33:54 »
I have a manual 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4l Turbo, after installing a new cat back exhaust, intercooler piping, cold air intake, and a tune it drives pretty nice. I can't complain for it being my first car, I worked a lot during high school to afford the parts and installed them myself, had a buddy's dad dyno it and it hovering around 220bhp. It's been treating me well up at college, when I go home during some weekends my dad will let me drive his bmw z4 :D. I usually will wash and fill it up for him afterwards, I tend to put a few miles on :p. I'm planning for my first car out of college to be a gtr hehe, got to have something to strive for.
Very cool.  The turbo versions of these remind me of the srt Neon--fun 4-door cars that with some intake/exhaust mods become quite fun.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1420 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:38:12 »
Not for nothing I love the sound of a Dart turbo with an exhaust. They sound downright dirty and ready to mess stuff up. I love it. 220hp in a light car like that is awesome.

I love the sound of car too, turbo is very distinct. It's a fun car to drive, the turbo gives it a fair amount of torque. I learned how to drive a stick shift with this car so I was needing a new set of tires within 7,000 miles, father wasn't too happy about that. :p

Very cool.  The turbo versions of these remind me of the srt Neon--fun 4-door cars that with some intake/exhaust mods become quite fun.

It is quite fun to drive. There is actually a big turbo upgrade in development for the car, I'm curious to see how that goes. The dart has the same drivetrain as the fiat 500s and the modded Abarths are actually really fast with the big turbo upgrade.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1421 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:31:59 »
I drive a 2005 Pontiac GTO. I had an '04 and traded in for this one about two years ago. They're great cars...had my last one up to 200k miles without any major problems until the very end.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1422 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:09:15 »
Cool! Those Pontiacs have so much HP!!! What's your usual mpg? Even though I have a Mini I still only get around 25mpg, but I also, you know, don't always go the speed limit :X

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1423 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:28:21 »
Cool! Those Pontiacs have so much HP!!! What's your usual mpg? Even though I have a Mini I still only get around 25mpg, but I also, you know, don't always go the speed limit :X

Yep 400 hp. I average around 17-18 mpg and I have to put premium in it, so it's a real burden in terms of fuel cost. My fiancee drives a Focus and gets 35 mpg which makes my situation even harder to stomach haha. I've been looking at more economical options but I'm gonna have a hard time trading out the fun/sports car dynamic for better fuel economy. Trying to find something that would be a good balance.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1424 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:56:29 »

Yep 400 hp. I average around 17-18 mpg and I have to put premium in it, so it's a real burden in terms of fuel cost. My fiancee drives a Focus and gets 35 mpg which makes my situation even harder to stomach haha. I've been looking at more economical options but I'm gonna have a hard time trading out the fun/sports car dynamic for better fuel economy. Trying to find something that would be a good balance.

Yeah yuck don't trade in! I use prem too but if you have a Costco gas station near you it's soo much cheaper than most other places (around my area anyway). You don't want a boring commuter car just because of gas, just use your fiancee's car once in a while ;)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1425 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:57:46 »
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on the GTO?

My buddy has the Borla on his and it screams!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline slushi

« Reply #1426 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:13:31 »
Sorry, been away for a sec. I've seen a lot of Subie dealers not let people test drive STi/WRX as well as BRZ. It is super dumb. It's typically due to how you present yourself in addition to how serious you are about buying a car. When I dress normally (tshirt jeans) I get that "no test drives" response. But if I just even put on a button down shirt, their tune changes quite a bit. This is especially prevalent when I was toying with the idea of getting a M235.

All in all, I agree with everyone else here and think it's super silly for them to act this way, but I am sure there are just as many young kids out there just wanting to gun it for a minute or two in their cars.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1427 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:26:19 »

Nope I haven't done anything to it yet. All stock. Over the past year or two, I've decided to spend more of my disposable income on computers and keyboards.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1428 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:27:05 »

Nope I haven't done anything to it yet. All stock. Over the past year or two, I've decided to spend more of my disposable income on computers and keyboards.

Good choice. I'm into both cars and mechs and the former is definitely way more expensive.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1429 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:28:57 »
Sorry, been away for a sec. I've seen a lot of Subie dealers not let people test drive STi/WRX as well as BRZ. It is super dumb. It's typically due to how you present yourself in addition to how serious you are about buying a car. When I dress normally (tshirt jeans) I get that "no test drives" response. But if I just even put on a button down shirt, their tune changes quite a bit. This is especially prevalent when I was toying with the idea of getting a M235.

All in all, I agree with everyone else here and think it's super silly for them to act this way, but I am sure there are just as many young kids out there just wanting to gun it for a minute or two in their cars.

Yeah that's true, and they are so popular they don't mind telling someone to get lost unless they're buying the car that day. I drove up to our local dealership for a WRX test drive in my car, but they were pretty busy I guess so no one even got around to telling us yes/no. I was just interested in comparing the WRX to mine in power/performance. Maybe they could tell I had the no plans to purchase anything face. Maybe I should go on a weekday instead of a busy weekend and try again
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:30:55 by Jema »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1430 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:52:00 »
I love those GTOs.  A local in HSV added a rear exhaust turbo to his.  Quite nice.  They're fun cars even stock.

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1431 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:55:03 »
I love those GTOs.  A local in HSV added a rear exhaust turbo to his.  Quite nice.  They're fun cars even stock.
Very fun. I'm sure this is the case with many models, but GTO owners always recognize their own. You'll get a wave from other GTO drivers nearly every time you pass one (which is pretty rare).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1432 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:16:58 »
Very fun. I'm sure this is the case with many models, but GTO owners always recognize their own. You'll get a wave from other GTO drivers nearly every time you pass one (which is pretty rare).
We had several in the HSV area when they came out.  Even had a little mountain run a few years back with a group of them:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4802

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1433 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:23:05 »
We had several in the HSV area when they came out.  Even had a little mountain run a few years back with a group of them:

Wow! The "Alabama Goat Herd" - very nice. Never seen that many in one place.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1434 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:18:50 »

Wow! The "Alabama Goat Herd" - very nice. Never seen that many in one place.
Yeah, that trip was a blast.  Really fun day. :)

Offline JiveMasterT

Car Thread
« Reply #1435 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:32:16 »
Just got back from an HPDE at NJMP Thunderbolt. First time there so I wasn't being super aggressive. Here's my quickest lap of the day Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:06:31 »
Just got back from an HPDE at NJMP Thunderbolt. First time there so I wasn't being super aggressive. Here's my quickest lap of the day Not a valid vimeo URL

High Performance Driver Education at New Jersey Motorsports Park

Google has saved me.  All I could think of was "High Density Polyethylene at ... " which obviously is wrong but oh well.  :P

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1437 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:12:28 »
Nice!  Nice and smooth lines.  I wouldn't have been as aggressive with the rumble strips, but I'm a wussie about messing up my wheels or alignment, lol.  Looked like fun!

It's simply amazing the type of in-car, overlaid telemetry you can do by yourself these days.  Less than a decade ago, you had to have a race team to have an in-car video like that.  :thumb:

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1438 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:21:32 »

Nice! I've been meaning to get out to events at NJMP in my MR2. The last time I was there was to watch my friend drive a in BMW club race over a year ago.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1439 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:24:09 »
All I could think of was "High Density Polyethylene at ... " which obviously is wrong but oh well.  :P
haha, please finish what you would have guessed it has.  I love the polyethylene part already!  ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1440 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:29:52 »
All I could think of was "High Density Polyethylene at ... " which obviously is wrong but oh well.  :P
haha, please finish what you would have guessed it has.  I love the polyethylene part already!  ;D

I'm ashamed to admit that that's as far as I got.  :))  I seriously had to read it three times to realize it was HPDE and not HDPE, and by that point I was so flustered I just googled it.  ;D

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1441 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:04:54 »
That looks so freaking fun!

I wish I had a car that I could track.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1442 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:32:58 »
Anybody here have a Ford Focus ST? I've taken an interest in those recently but haven't driven one yet.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1443 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:06:21 »
Anybody here have a Ford Focus ST? I've taken an interest in those recently but haven't driven one yet.

2014 ST3 with stage 3 mods here. Seriously love it! It is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. The Ford ST lineup is a total home-run in my opinion.

Imgur Album

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1444 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:50:51 »

2014 ST3 with stage 3 mods here. Seriously love it! It is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. The Ford ST lineup is a total home-run in my opinion.

Imgur Album

Nice, yours looks great. Have they made any major changes with the 2015 model?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1445 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:58:12 »

Imgur Album

Nice, yours looks great. Have they made any major changes with the 2015 model?

Thanks!

Nothing substantial, a light facelift and slightly more aggressive steering ratio and suspension setup. ST2 package also gets HID headlights now too.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1446 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:58:37 »

You can track pretty much any car.  Just make sure your technical bits are in order and nothing is leaking, brakes are working fine, tires have some life, etc.

In the same class as me was an automatic Subaru Outback. I got passed by a bone stock Honda Civic that was just carrying a lot of speed through turns. I didn't have an instructor in my car that day but I did so some ride alongs and they were really helpful.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1447 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:24:31 »

I'm ashamed to admit that that's as far as I got.  :))  I seriously had to read it three times to realize it was HPDE and not HDPE, and by that point I was so flustered I just googled it.  ;D
What's HPDE?  You've got me curious as to what an HDPE at NJMP would be in chemistry terms, lol.

You don't need anything special to have fun like this.  HDPEs can be a bit expensive, but for cheap fun, autocross is the way to go.  You can find a local club wherever you are doing autocross.  Check out www.scca.com.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1448 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:26:58 »
Definitely can be expensive. I paid $225 for the day and that included lunch, a t-shirt, 4 classroom sessions, and access to instructors. If you wanted to pay another $100 you could have a dedicated instructor for the whole day.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1449 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:39:24 »

Imgur Album

That's hawt, thanks for sharing all the pics! I've never driven the Focus ST, but was looking into the Fiesta ST for a cheaper-end fun DD to have. Get some black wheels ;)