Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649625 times)

Offline edb5s

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1450 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:53:42 »
Anybody here have a Ford Focus ST? I've taken an interest in those recently but haven't driven one yet.

2014 ST3 with stage 3 mods here. Seriously love it! It is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. The Ford ST lineup is a total home-run in my opinion.

Imgur Album

That's hawt, thanks for sharing all the pics! I've never driven the Focus ST, but was looking into the Fiesta ST for a cheaper-end fun DD to have. Get some black wheels ;)

I didn't even know they made a Fiesta ST. Very interesting...not much of a price difference from the Focus ST though.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1451 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:33:06 »
Anybody here have a Ford Focus ST? I've taken an interest in those recently but haven't driven one yet.

2014 ST3 with stage 3 mods here. Seriously love it! It is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. The Ford ST lineup is a total home-run in my opinion.

Imgur Album
Beautifully done!  Very clean!  Love it!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1452 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:13:39 »

Imgur Album

That's hawt, thanks for sharing all the pics! I've never driven the Focus ST, but was looking into the Fiesta ST for a cheaper-end fun DD to have. Get some black wheels ;)

I didn't even know they made a Fiesta ST. Very interesting...not much of a price difference from the Focus ST though.

Yeah only a couple thousand difference. I sat in the Fiesta version and I really didn't care for it. But what's this Focus RS?!?! Has anyone read up on it much yet? It will be interesting to see how it compares to the STI/Golf in performance. I couldn't find anywhere what the exact HP will be, "exceeding 315". I would hope it's amazing for pushing almost $40k

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1453 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:46:13 »

Thanks! It's my first "new" car and I've been loving the hell out of it! Once the OEM Goodyear tires are worn out (wont be much longer lol) I plan to pick up some MPSS tires and put them on a set of the Matte Gunmetal TSW Nurburgring rims.

Appreciate the kind words! I much prefer the clean, sleeper look, especially since I drive my wife/kid/coworkers around from time to time  :cool:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1454 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:00:15 »

Thanks! It's my first "new" car and I've been loving the hell out of it! Once the OEM Goodyear tires are worn out (wont be much longer lol) I plan to pick up some MPSS tires and put them on a set of the Matte Gunmetal TSW Nurburgring rims.

Appreciate the kind words! I much prefer the clean, sleeper look, especially since I drive my wife/kid/coworkers around from time to time  :cool:
That's the look I like too.  Even if it's custom, it has to look like factory for me to want it.  :cool:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1455 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:21:43 »

Imgur Album

Yeah only a couple thousand difference. I sat in the Fiesta version and I really didn't care for it. But what's this Focus RS?!?! Has anyone read up on it much yet? It will be interesting to see how it compares to the STI/Golf in performance. I couldn't find anywhere what the exact HP will be, "exceeding 315". I would hope it's amazing for pushing almost $40k

Show Image

Last I saw was 345 hp, 325tq.  Plus overboost to 375tq.

It's not my 300zx, obv, but I wish I did this instead of buying all the parts to rebuild a blown tt motor now...

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1456 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:46:13 »

Imgur Album

Show Image

Last I saw was 345 hp, 325tq.  Plus overboost to 375tq.

It's not my 300zx, obv, but I wish I did this instead of buying all the parts to rebuild a blown tt motor now...

That road is so freaking crappy. It'd be devastated to have to drive my car through that
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1457 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 14:21:59 »

Show Image

"The awesome new Focus RS will make a staggering 345 horsepower from its 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder. The VW packs 292 horsepower, the STI 305."
Taken from this article: http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-focus-rs-horsepower-and-torque-confirmed-you-will-not-be-disappointed

I really wish I could afford one at the moment, I'd place an order sight unseen.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1458 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:45:19 »

Show Image

"The awesome new Focus RS will make a staggering 345 horsepower from its 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder. The VW packs 292 horsepower, the STI 305."
Taken from this article: http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-focus-rs-horsepower-and-torque-confirmed-you-will-not-be-disappointed

I really wish I could afford one at the moment, I'd place an order sight unseen.

Hmm and for the price it falls in between the other two, so not bad. Will be interesting to see how it actually performs

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1459 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:47:08 »
A lot of people are really hyped up about the RS but I'm gonna wait a few years to see how they do and how they last. I feel like most new models like that, especially since they have to tune it for US EPA standards, are kinda wonky.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1460 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:23:43 »
A lot of people are really hyped up about the RS but I'm gonna wait a few years to see how they do and how they last. I feel like most new models like that, especially since they have to tune it for US EPA standards, are kinda wonky.

I'm not too worried about it since it's the same motor currently in the Ecoboost Mustang that's been on the road for a year without any major issues. This model was built from the ground up to be a US car, not a conversion of a Euro RS to meet US standards. Neither of the STs have had very many issues and have overall been pretty awesome cars, I can only imagine the RS will follow suit. Honestly I have to give kudos to Ford, they are really pushing the performance market in the right direction and I hope more manufacturers follow suit.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1461 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:37:01 »

Imgur Album

fun cars. this is my angry pokemon

with some friends during a canyon run
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1462 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:51:22 »
Ford has done a lot of great things since the revamp of the Mustang.  They've really taken a leadership role in bringing the American car market back.

Offline dante

« Reply #1463 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:02:17 »
Ford has done a lot of great things since the revamp of the Mustang.  They've really taken a leadership role in bringing the American car market back.

They really need to work on the Powershift transmission in the Fiesta/Focus; as there are still plenty of reports of failing transmissions/etc.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1464 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:11:20 »
Every time I'm about to buy a new tune for my car a new opportunity to get a board comes first. It started out with the Orion, then TGR-Jane, and now possibly TGR-Jane CE. I need to take a break from spending money on keyboards, I've been averaging $500 a month spent on keyboards. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1465 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:34:14 »
I need to take a break from spending money on keyboards, I've been averaging $500 a month spent on keyboards. :p

I did that for basically the latter half of 2014.  Graduating and getting a big boy job, but not having to pay student loans yet...yeah, not so smart.

I highly recommend kicking that habit sooner than later.  It's like an addiction (for me at least) and now that I've calmed down and am focusing on other projects rather than spending, my enjoyment has improved.  :thumb:

Also you can have money for cars.  ^-^

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1466 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 22:58:00 »
I need to take a break from spending money on keyboards, I've been averaging $500 a month spent on keyboards. :p

I did that for basically the latter half of 2014.  Graduating and getting a big boy job, but not having to pay student loans yet...yeah, not so smart.

I highly recommend kicking that habit sooner than later.  It's like an addiction (for me at least) and now that I've calmed down and am focusing on other projects rather than spending, my enjoyment has improved.  :thumb:

I really do need to cut back on spending, I'm not use to no income being up at college now. When I have interest in a hobby I like to do my research get possible, longest lasting, option which usually ends up being the most expensive. I've even bought an xbox one and only have played it less than ten times. I have made my fair share of cash though between hosting minecraft servers as a 16 year old, building computers for local business, friends, and family, and working at a shoe store for almost 3 years straight and end up being the longest working employee there haha. I've spent a fair bit on my car already, was originally planning on spending more until I entered the realm of kustoms. My plan after one last kustom is to slow down on keyboards, buy a new tune for my car, and then start saving again haha.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1467 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:56:18 »

They really need to work on the Powershift transmission in the Fiesta/Focus; as there are still plenty of reports of failing transmissions/etc.
This definitely has been an issue.  I had one employee that had to have 2 transmissions put in inside of 6 months--not fun.  Luckily they were under warranty, but her warranty was about to run out after #2.  :-X
Every time I'm about to buy a new tune for my car a new opportunity to get a board comes first. It started out with the Orion, then TGR-Jane, and now possibly TGR-Jane CE. I need to take a break from spending money on keyboards, I've been averaging $500 a month spent on keyboards. :p
:eek:  Whoa, that's a lot.  I don't think I spend that much a month on groceries, lol.

I've been lucky enough to somehow have an innate knack for financial discipline.  I had almost 100k saved by the time I left high school and then invested it to basically retire in my early 20s for a few years.  Then I went to college at an expensive school and used a lot of that up until I started to compare the roi on the degree vs the appreciation of my investments.  I left college as it didn't make financial sense.  I would never make as much as my investments would in 20 years, especially if you factor in the difference in pay with a degree vs without.

The key thing that helps you with spending (and reaching goals in general) is to have a plan and stick to it.  Dream of owning a Ferrari?  The only thing stopping you from that dream is a plan--then your dream becomes a goal.  Figure out each little step and the work towards it, reminding yourself of your end goal.  That really keeps you focused.

Case in point was grocery shopping last night.  I'm diabetic so I shouldn't have those lovely hostess chocolate covered mini-donuts.  But they were tempting me, right in front of me.  So I thought of my goal--I want to be healthy for the hard work that I have to complete this week.  Healthy=no donuts.  I was able to easily walk away.  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1468 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:37:00 »
I've been lucky enough to somehow have an innate knack for financial discipline.  I had almost 100k saved by the time I left high school and then invested it to basically retire in my early 20s for a few years.  Then I went to college at an expensive school and used a lot of that up until I started to compare the roi on the degree vs the appreciation of my investments.  I left college as it didn't make financial sense.  I would never make as much as my investments would in 20 years, especially if you factor in the difference in pay with a degree vs without.

The key thing that helps you with spending (and reaching goals in general) is to have a plan and stick to it.  Dream of owning a Ferrari?  The only thing stopping you from that dream is a plan--then your dream becomes a goal.  Figure out each little step and the work towards it, reminding yourself of your end goal.  That really keeps you focused.

Case in point was grocery shopping last night.  I'm diabetic so I shouldn't have those lovely hostess chocolate covered mini-donuts.  But they were tempting me, right in front of me.  So I thought of my goal--I want to be healthy for the hard work that I have to complete this week.  Healthy=no donuts.  I was able to easily walk away.  :thumb:

Very cool story, seems like you definitely know what you're. Ironically my plan is a nissan GTR, I have about half the money saved up throughout all the years working but slowly diminishing because of other expenses such as keyboards. I'm very very fortunate enough to have my parents pay for college, that's why I'm trying to get the best grades possible and not fail out. I do have some long term plans and investments already and but I do like to spend. I've been eating pretty cheap so I can have more extra money to spend on keyboards so I'm not blowing my savings.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:38:47 by Steezus »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1469 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 13:46:35 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1470 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 14:38:13 »

Very cool story, seems like you definitely know what you're. Ironically my plan is a nissan GTR, I have about half the money saved up throughout all the years working but slowly diminishing because of other expenses such as keyboards. I'm very very fortunate enough to have my parents pay for college, that's why I'm trying to get the best grades possible and not fail out. I do have some long term plans and investments already and but I do like to spend. I've been eating pretty cheap so I can have more extra money to spend on keyboards so I'm not blowing my savings.
A GTR is easier to come by than you think, especially in this economy.  Cash in hand always talks.  The local guy that bought one paid well under the going rate--right place, right time with a pocket full cash. ;)  A lot of people that had money bought cars that they're looking to get out of now (that sweet RS you posted is probably a perfect example) and having cash in hand makes those transactions much easier to negotiate.  (In fact, almost any transaction right now is easy if you have the cash as most people don't.)

My brother and I refused to take money from our parents for college.  We paid our own way, so we knew exactly how much it was costing us.  My brother never really used his degree, but it was instrumental in him getting doors opened (because it was Caltech) that otherwise would have taken longer.  His college costs have more than paid for themselves.  The roi was under a decade for sure. 

Having cool things is nice, but at some point you have to move them all, and then you'll think 'why do I need all this junk?  My brother has one of the largest private Star Wars collections in the world.  But when he moved from his house, he realized he didn't 'need' it.  He's in the process of working with the gentleman that has the largest collection to put together a charity auction.  But he's still got Yoda, Jar Jar, and Anakin in his living room.  Was kinda neat so see them there at his engagement ceremony, lol.

From what I've learned (and what my wife has taught me in recent years) is that stuff is a means to an end.  If it doesn't help you build connections with people and the intangibles that make life rich and full, it's just stuff that may be getting in the way of that.  At the end of the day all we are, are what people remember of us--just memories.  The stuff then eventually gets sold to the highest bidder. :(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:03:06 »
Show Image

Sweet Jesus
Reminds me of my buddy who has the only Evo 7 registered in the US. :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1472 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 01:24:31 »

Which GTR are you looking to buy? A new one or an older one? Friend of mine just bought an R34 with pink wheels  :p
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1473 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:35:08 »

Which GTR are you looking to buy? A new one or an older one? Friend of mine just bought an R34 with pink wheels  :p
I've always loved the r34s.  There's just something classic about them.  :thumb:

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1474 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:08:07 »
Sorry boyz, Ford's got nothin' on MINI  :-*

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1475 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:34:20 »

I'm looking at buying an R35, the older ones are really hard to get into the states. I know two people in my home county with an R33 RWD and a R34 AWD, the guy with the R33 offered to sell it for $80,000.

My plan is to get a new GTR and put a stage three tune on it. Just need to get a job after school haha. :p

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1476 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:12:31 »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1477 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:20:25 »

My plan is to get a new GTR

:thumb:

I've driven my father's friends GTR a couple times, it's a really nice car and seems like it wouldn't be too bad as a daily. If I can I would probably choose a Hellcat Challenger instead but they are much more limited. Luckily I've been saving and investing to save up for a car. I also started on my Roth IRA plan even though I'm 19 :p, the younger the better.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1478 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:30:08 »
I need to reevaluate my life to afford a $100k car as a DD, but being no where near 19 I've already failed. Knew I should have invested in Chipotle when I had the chance..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1479 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:32:47 »

I've driven my father's friends GTR a couple times, it's a really nice car and seems like it wouldn't be too bad as a daily. If I can I would probably choose a Hellcat Challenger instead but they are much more limited. Luckily I've been saving and investing to save up for a car. I also started on my Roth IRA plan even though I'm 19 :p, the younger the better.
One of the guys in the office just got a hellcat a couple days ago. I didn't get to hear it but it looks nice. Don't think he's had a chance to do much driving with it as its rained since he got it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1480 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:38:56 »

One of the guys in the office just got a hellcat a couple days ago. I didn't get to hear it but it looks nice. Don't think he's had a chance to do much driving with it as its rained since he got it.

I've been in a hellcat but wasn't allowed to drive it :(. It's a very nice car though and it's steal considering the engine inside of it for only $60,000. My Uncle was checking them out but decided against it, he took his buddies for a drive and said it was awesome. A 10 second car for 60k is a still in my mind. If I can't get a hellcat then my plan is to get a GTR with a stage 3 tune and get it up around 800 bhp. The only thing I don't like about the GTR is that you can't get it in manual, I love driving my car around in a manual it makes driving a lot more enjoyable. I'm all talk though haha, I'm only halfway there to a GTR and no job yet so I still have some ways ahead of me.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1481 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:48:49 »
I also started on my Roth IRA plan even though I'm 19 :p, the younger the better.
Damn brilliant!  Forget the cars of today.  The interest you'll earn off of that Roth if you can get it big enough will be enough for you to buy a new car every year.  How do I know?  Almost did that earlier in my life.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1482 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 14:08:54 »
I also started on my Roth IRA plan even though I'm 19 :p, the younger the better.
Damn brilliant!  Forget the cars of today.  The interest you'll earn off of that Roth if you can get it big enough will be enough for you to buy a new car every year.  How do I know?  Almost did that earlier in my life.

I'm definitely trying to think big picture, my grandfather made sure all of his grandchildren have started their Roth IRA. He's a really brilliant man, a man with exceptional money saving abilities. He's the wealthiest man in my family yet he's still rocking his 1990 Toyota Corolla Sport :p, it's a shame I got my money spending habits from my mother.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #1483 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 14:12:09 »

Cars are are a much bigger money pit than keyboards. At least they were for me. So glad to have kicked the car habit. Well....I was forced out, but good none the less.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1484 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:42:28 »

I'm definitely trying to think big picture, my grandfather made sure all of his grandchildren have started their Roth IRA. He's a really brilliant man, a man with exceptional money saving abilities. He's the wealthiest man in my family yet he's still rocking his 1990 Toyota Corolla Sport :p, it's a shame I got my money spending habits from my mother.
Those habits are nothing a little bit of self-discipline can't handle.  :thumb:

Cars are are a much bigger money pit than keyboards. At least they were for me. So glad to have kicked the car habit. Well....I was forced out, but good none the less.
Yep, but almost anything can be.  Self-discipline can keep you from going too far--just got to cultivate it.  We all have it.

Offline dante

« Reply #1485 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:55:43 »
I need to reevaluate my life to afford a $100k car as a DD, but being no where near 19 I've already failed. Knew I should have invested in Chipotle when I had the chance..

Hah!  I'm in my 40's and still have very real regrets for not purchasing Apple stock in the 1990's when it was hovering around $3 a share.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1486 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:03:26 »
Hah!  I'm in my 40's and still have very real regrets for not purchasing Apple stock in the 1990's when it was hovering around $3 a share.

As do I. I'd be retired by now living a modest life off of dividends. Oh well.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1487 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:10:45 »
Got some new brake pads for the G320 Cabrio.

Thanks to Sent for the compound recommendation. :thumb:

Mechanic won't be back in town until the 14th, but can't wait to try these. ^-^

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1488 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:20:34 »

As do I. I'd be retired by now living a modest life off of dividends. Oh well.
Yeah, but remember that time when they were about to file for bankruptcy until MS bailed them out and put a few of their people on the board?  That could have been the end of Apple as a company...and the stock.

I actually have Microsoft and Cisco from 1995.  I'm hoping they'll be my retirement.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1489 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:21:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oooo...the good stuff!  Mechanic?  For brake pads?  That's just a step above an oil change if you have both rotors and pads.  It's really easy.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1490 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:34:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oooo...the good stuff!  Mechanic?  For brake pads?  That's just a step above an oil change if you have both rotors and pads.  It's really easy.

Got a few other things I'd like him to look at. Mostly rotors probably need to be replaced as well.

He's a factory-trained master tech that's been working at the dealership for over 30 years, so I prefer to have him look over everything to make sure it's all good. :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1491 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 08:58:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

Got a few other things I'd like him to look at. Mostly rotors probably need to be replaced as well.

He's a factory-trained master tech that's been working at the dealership for over 30 years, so I prefer to have him look over everything to make sure it's all good. :thumb:
If you saw how much stuff was missed by dealerships--missing bolts, improper procedure, items skipped--you'd do it yourself whenever you can like I do. ;)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1492 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 09:23:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

If you saw how much stuff was missed by dealerships--missing bolts, improper procedure, items skipped--you'd do it yourself whenever you can like I do. ;)

I like working on cars but it's really time consuming. I've done everything on my car myself as of now with a little help from my dad. My CAI took me a solid 4 hours though because the whole front bumper had to come off. Nothing's more satisfying when you do the job yourself and get it done right. :thumb:

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1493 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 09:43:14 »
I remember the first time I had the bumper off my STI. Took me like an hour and a half and I was so nervous. Now it takes me about 2 minutes because I've done it so many times.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1494 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:24:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like working on cars but it's really time consuming. I've done everything on my car myself as of now with a little help from my dad. My CAI took me a solid 4 hours though because the whole front bumper had to come off. Nothing's more satisfying when you do the job yourself and get it done right. :thumb:
I agree.  But nothing pisses me off more than paying good money to have someone do a job right and then finding myself having to redo it since it wasn't done right.

It takes me about a whole day to swap our snow sets onto our car and reprogram the tpms.  But I get to make sure the lugs are torqued right, not stripped and can examine any other suspension, rust, braking problems while I'm looking at it.  But then the whole car is good for another 6 months.  Worthwhile time investment for me.  :cool:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1495 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 12:33:19 »
Can confirm, DIY is the way to go. My first time replacing a timing belt on an interference engine was nerve-racking as all hell but that first drive with everything replaced and working felt good as hell. You can't beat the peace of mind knowing everything was done correctly using quality parts and torqued to OEM specs. I just did my brakes on my SVT today and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1496 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 12:55:59 »
Parents gone for a week, came back from college to a weekend of this. ;D

BMW z4 by Steve N, on Flickr

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1497 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:58:55 »
Nice!  Should be fun with the top down if the weather is nice.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1498 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:59:32 »
Can confirm, DIY is the way to go. My first time replacing a timing belt on an interference engine was nerve-racking as all hell but that first drive with everything replaced and working felt good as hell. You can't beat the peace of mind knowing everything was done correctly using quality parts and torqued to OEM specs. I just did my brakes on my SVT today and enjoyed every minute of it :)
You're bolder than me!  I haven't gone as far as doing a timing belt yet, but I've got cars that will need it done.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1499 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 18:58:56 »
A little late for a Halloween post but figured it belongs here anyways. Me running around a track with my AE86 costume.

Couple shots of my sweet ride

Took about 5 hours to cut out, tape up and paint.