Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649609 times)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1500 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 19:12:56 »
I remember the first time I had the bumper off my STI. Took me like an hour and a half and I was so nervous. Now it takes me about 2 minutes because I've done it so many times.

Ahh the good days.

Also took off my bumper on/off so much that it takes 5 mins max.

I'm actually kind of scared how fast I can take apart my car. Makes me realize that if someone knows the car well enough, they can steal everything within minutes.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1501 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 22:22:41 »
That is amazing! Hope you didn't break the tofu.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1502 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:00:54 »
That's the best costume I've ever seen.  :thumb:

Tell me you drifted around the course a couple of times.  :))

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1503 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:41:56 »

Got a few other things I'd like him to look at. Mostly rotors probably need to be replaced as well.

He's a factory-trained master tech that's been working at the dealership for over 30 years, so I prefer to have him look over everything to make sure it's all good. :thumb:

If you saw how much stuff was missed by dealerships--missing bolts, improper procedure, items skipped--you'd do it yourself whenever you can like I do. ;)

You don't really want to imply that either you or me would have done a better job than a Master Technician trained officially by the Mercedes-Benz factory, specializing in servicing and tuning Mercedes-Benz vehicles for over 30 years, with access to OEM factory workshop manuals, using proper installation and German-made factory tools, procedures, and nothing but OEM factory-made parts, sourced directly from the dealership they work at (at a discount, I might add).

Completely outstanding guy, very reasonable rates, and is one of the few people that gives me the impression that they are genuinely out to help people. He will not hesitate to drive 30 minutes to your house at 6:00 AM to help fix a problem at no charge at all, or work overnight just to finish the job.

That said, I'm also a proponent of DIY, and love to take on easier tasks myself, such as changing to winter/summer/track wheels, changing the oil, and what not. I have good torque wrenches, sockets, breaker bars, the best low-profile, high-lifting jack, and jack stands available (made by AC Hydraulic in Denmark), as I collect classic cars and prefer to work on them myself whenever possible.

Recently, I also put on an OEM CF spoiler on my daily driver. It was quite fun, but was slightly difficult as the weather is now colder, and 3M VHB needs warmer temps to bond properly.

Tools used: Heat gun (to heat up the 3M VHB), 3M VHB in two widths, 3M automotive masking tape, precision tweezers, 99% isopropyl (to prep the bonding surfaces), and a clean microfiber towel.

Spoiler surface prepped and 3M VHB applied.

Then lots of 3M automotive masking tape to help hold down the spoiler during the bonding process.

Side view

Made sure to use enough tape. :D

Car and spoiler had it's own dedicated space heater to help keep the temps warm enough for the 3M VHB to bond properly. ^-^

DIY is fun, but you really can't beat having the support of a factory-trained mechanic for servicing the more intricate mechanical parts, such as engine, transmission, differentials, drive shafts, axles, etc.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:47:49 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1504 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 07:48:59 »
That is amazing! Hope you didn't break the tofu.

Not a single drop of water spilled.

That's the best costume I've ever seen.  :thumb:

Tell me you drifted around the course a couple of times.  :))

I was a course worker at a drift event so I totally got to run around and show my sweet moves. The event is called Clubloose for those curious.

Recently, I also put on an OEM CF spoiler on my daily driver. It was quite fun, but was slightly difficult as the weather is now colder, and 3M VHB needs warmer temps to bond properly.

Tools used: Heat gun (to heat up the 3M VHB), 3M VHB in two widths, 3M automotive masking tape, precision tweezers, 99% isopropyl (to prep the bonding surfaces), and a clean microfiber towel.
Show Image

Show Image

Then lots of 3M automotive masking tape to help hold down the spoiler during the bonding process.
Show Image

Side view
Show Image

Show Image

Car and spoiler had it's own dedicated space heater to help keep the temps warm enough for the 3M VHB to bond properly. ^-^
Show Image

DIY is fun, but you really can't beat having the support of a factory-trained mechanic for servicing the more intricate mechanical parts, such as engine, transmission, differentials, drive shafts, axles, etc.

Looks good! Sweet overkill on the tape job :P
You should post some pics once you have released the spoiler from its green cage.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1505 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 08:29:27 »

Got a few other things I'd like him to look at. Mostly rotors probably need to be replaced as well.

He's a factory-trained master tech that's been working at the dealership for over 30 years, so I prefer to have him look over everything to make sure it's all good. :thumb:

If you saw how much stuff was missed by dealerships--missing bolts, improper procedure, items skipped--you'd do it yourself whenever you can like I do. ;)

You don't really want to imply that either you or me would have done a better job than a Master Technician trained officially by the Mercedes-Benz factory, specializing in servicing and tuning Mercedes-Benz vehicles for over 30 years, with access to OEM factory workshop manuals, using proper installation and German-made factory tools, procedures, and nothing but OEM factory-made parts, sourced directly from the dealership they work at (at a discount, I might add).

Completely outstanding guy, very reasonable rates, and is one of the few people that gives me the impression that they are genuinely out to help people. He will not hesitate to drive 30 minutes to your house at 6:00 AM to help fix a problem at no charge at all, or work overnight just to finish the job.

That said, I'm also a proponent of DIY, and love to take on easier tasks myself, such as changing to winter/summer/track wheels, changing the oil, and what not. I have good torque wrenches, sockets, breaker bars, the best low-profile, high-lifting jack, and jack stands available (made by AC Hydraulic in Denmark), as I collect classic cars and prefer to work on them myself whenever possible.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Side view
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice work! CF looks great on that :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1506 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 11:02:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Side view
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Someone with that nature and experience in one package is hard to find, and if I had someone local like that, I'd probably farm out a lot of the work to him as well.  But that being said, I have a really good friend who's Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche, GM, and Toyota certified as well as an ASE Master  tech, and he's told me about how working on your own is a lot different than working on someone else's.  When it's a 'job' you have to meet your boss's expectations more than your own.  There's a level of acceptable work and then there's doing it like how you would.  And because of that, my friend is no longer interested in working on cars for someone else.  He doesn't like to have to shortchange it from what he know can be done or do it in a certain timeframe.  In my experience, a lot of the non-lead techs are shortchanging a lot more than people think, because well, they can.  People don't have the time, skill, or patience to make sure their car is worked on correctly.  Hence why I end up having to do it myself if I want it done right.  Your experience is obviously different, and I wish mine was more like yours!  I could get a lot more car work done faster--my dad's s500 needs some loving care since the local dealership and independent shops are all garbage.  I know of a good dealership in Michigan and may just ship the car there for work.

Offline edb5s

« Reply #1507 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:40:57 »
Got some new brake pads for the G320 Cabrio.

Thanks to Sent for the compound recommendation. :thumb:

Show Image

Show Image

Mechanic won't be back in town until the 14th, but can't wait to try these. ^-^
Oooo...the good stuff!  Mechanic?  For brake pads?  That's just a step above an oil change if you have both rotors and pads.  It's really easy.

I like working on cars but it's really time consuming. I've done everything on my car myself as of now with a little help from my dad. My CAI took me a solid 4 hours though because the whole front bumper had to come off. Nothing's more satisfying when you do the job yourself and get it done right. :thumb:

Yep, just changed front brake pads on the GTO. Such a satisfying feeling to get maintenance work done, even for such a simple job.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1508 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 18:49:11 »
Got to ride in my friends DB9 today. That ****'s quick
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1509 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 23:18:47 »
The Astons are fun cars.  I had an opportunity to rent one for a few days in Chicago, but since you're responsible for any damage and the front nose is like $25k, I didn't want to risk scraping it and then losing a lot of cash.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1510 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 23:28:15 »
The Astons are fun cars.  I had an opportunity to rent one for a few days in Chicago, but since you're responsible for any damage and the front nose is like $25k, I didn't want to risk scraping it and then losing a lot of cash.

I love Astons, they're such classy cars. The DB9 is so elegant yet it's rocking a V12!
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1511 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 00:07:47 »

I love Astons, they're such classy cars. The DB9 is so elegant yet it's rocking a V12!
The Vanquish series is even nicer.  I had the opportunity to hang out with a bunch of exotics including a limited paint color Vantage, but it was the day of my engagement ceremony and my wife told me that if I tried to hit both, the engagement was off.  :-[

http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?p=76102

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1512 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 00:11:30 »

The Vanquish series is even nicer.  I had the opportunity to hang out with a bunch of exotics including a limited paint color Vantage, but it was the day of my engagement ceremony and my wife told me that if I tried to hit both, the engagement was off.  :-[
Show Image

Wow that color is gorgeous, that would've been so much fun to drive. Nothing motivates me more to do good in college than driving a nice car. :p

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1513 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 00:31:55 »

Show Image

Wow that color is gorgeous, that would've been so much fun to drive. Nothing motivates me more to do good in college than driving a nice car. :p
My friend with the red Ferrari F430 wanted me to meet the owner so bad.  I haven't had time to put together any events for the last few years, but I will again someday soon...

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1514 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 01:20:24 »
Nice CF spoiler!

Most of my car is held together by 3M tape (roof spoiler, rear spoiler, front lip) etc.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1515 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 10:01:14 »
The best I ever saw was the 'stitching' in red holding up the front bumper on a black s2k.  It actually worked.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1516 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 12:52:45 »

The best I ever saw was the 'stitching' in red holding up the front bumper on a black s2k.  It actually worked.

I think stitching only looks good if the car is already a drift missile/ has other battle scars.

There used to be this mustang by me that had a line stitched on an undamaged bumper. But this is also the dude who bought a base model and put a 5.0 badge on it. He claimed every part was for "track use", including the automatic transmission.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1517 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:00:34 »
haha, nah, this was an actual ding that needed repair.  I think if I ever saw stitches on a car that didn't need it I'd lol.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1518 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:24:42 »
haha, nah, this was an actual ding that needed repair.  I think if I ever saw stitches on a car that didn't need it I'd lol.

What I don't get is that anyone who knew what stitching was or what it was used for would call him out. The "track use" ploy didn't work with women and just made him look like a fool. I'd be shocked if he could pull off going any speed around a corner let alone race.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1519 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:32:36 »
Stitching and zip ties are used on a lot of drift and track cars.

Just holding up damage. If it's not necessary it just looks stupid though!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1520 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:06:07 »
I am going to start throwing stuff on my subie soon.

May post a few pictures o.o

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1521 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:07:24 »

watchu got?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1522 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:20:13 »

watchu got?

At work and don't have my phone. But this is what it looks like but in black.

I want to get that exact roof mount for my bikes.

116786-0

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1523 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:04:43 »

What I don't get is that anyone who knew what stitching was or what it was used for would call him out. The "track use" ploy didn't work with women and just made him look like a fool. I'd be shocked if he could pull off going any speed around a corner let alone race.
There's so many of these type people that are not in it for the cars, but because of some other issue they've got going on.  I've never understood it either because they make themselves look like utter fools until they realize they don't belong.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1524 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:10:47 »

There's so many of these type people that are not in it for the cars, but because of some other issue they've got going on.  I've never understood it either because they make themselves look like utter fools until they realize they don't belong.

I hate the VW crew at my college, nothing but muffler deletes or fart cans, stickers, and slamming it. They're the epitome of loud and slow.

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1525 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:14:56 »
I would rather loud and slow than quiet and driving like a jackass to be honest. It's not my style but I don't care as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1526 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:18:42 »

I hate the VW crew at my college, nothing but muffler deletes or fart cans, stickers, and slamming it. They're the epitome of loud and slow.
Forget speed bumps, leaves are the new obstacle.

There isn't too much of that in Houghton. We have a small JDM crew but they also use their cars in the winter so they're kept sensible. Our only annoying car things are the subie bros who need to "rally" everything and the pavement princess bro trucks.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1527 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:21:56 »

There isn't too much of that in Houghton. We have a small JDM crew but they also use their cars in the winter so they're kept sensible. Our only annoying car things are the subie bros who need to "rally" everything and the pavement princess bro trucks.

There's a fair bit of subie bros here as well, they love having the biggest mud flaps on their cars and make sure they have as many stickers on it as possible so they can feel all the HP gains! Middle PA tends to get lots of snow so people like their subies, my car is FWD and yet it's terrible in the snow. It has a surprising amount of torque because of the turbo.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1528 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:29:05 »
There's a fair bit of subie bros here as well, they love having the biggest mud flaps on their cars and make sure they have as many stickers on it as possible so they can feel all the HP gains! Middle PA tends to get lots of snow so people like their subies, my car is FWD and yet it's terrible in the snow. It has a surprising amount of torque because of the turbo.

What do you drive?

Edit: Torquey FWD in the snow just screams understeer.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1529 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:33:54 »

What do you drive?

Edit: Torquey FWD in the snow just screams understeer.

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo manual. My parents got it for me for my first car so I can't complain at all, I have put a catback exhaust, cai, hot/cold side piping, and a tune. It's a fine car to drive, has it's ups and downs just any car though.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1530 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:10:39 »

The VW guys are known for slamming it, that's for sure.  The ones here locally though are highly intelligent and talented and have a good head on their shoulders.

The Subie guys here actually are pretty chill and have a lot of the same traits as the VW/Audi guys--highly intelligent and talented with a decently good head on their shoulders.  Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1531 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:16:32 »

The VW guys are known for slamming it, that's for sure.  The ones here locally though are highly intelligent and talented and have a good head on their shoulders.

The Subie guys here actually are pretty chill and have a lot of the same traits as the VW/Audi guys--highly intelligent and talented with a decently good head on their shoulders.  Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

That sounds way different to where I'm use to, people like to associate the louder you are the faster you're going. You can find all the nice cars in the industrial boulevard in my county. Some common ones I see is a hennessey camaro, gtr, a few m4s and m5s, etc. Usually just the business owners though, I like working there during the summers for my dad. My one friend there has a 900bhp srt-4 neon that he drags, it sure is fast.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1532 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:27:20 »

That sounds way different to where I'm use to, people like to associate the louder you are the faster you're going. You can find all the nice cars in the industrial boulevard in my county. Some common ones I see is a hennessey camaro, gtr, a few m4s and m5s, etc. Usually just the business owners though, I like working there during the summers for my dad. My one friend there has a 900bhp srt-4 neon that he drags, it sure is fast.
In HSV it's all v8s if you want fast.  Once in a while there is a nicely modded import with a turbo and whatnot that shines and the occasional Supra, but most of the really high hp stuff is all v8s.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1533 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:37:14 »

In HSV it's all v8s if you want fast.  Once in a while there is a nicely modded import with a turbo and whatnot that shines and the occasional Supra, but most of the really high hp stuff is all v8s.

Yeah my dad's one employee drags a 1000bhp mustang, seeing a v8 roar the down the strip is like no other. I love the sound of a naturally aspirated v8.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1534 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:57:45 »
I think the thing that took my breath away was seeing a jet powered dragster.  There was nothing like it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1535 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:00:02 »
I think the thing that took my breath away was seeing a jet powered dragster.  There was nothing like it.

I've seen one of those as well, I think the most memorable part was just the vibrations it was letting off. It shook the ground.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1536 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:46:05 »

I've seen one of those as well, I think the most memorable part was just the vibrations it was letting off. It shook the ground.
There were some telephone poles behind the burnout boxes that got charred after they ran.  And the most errie part was how when they shut off the engines and pulled the chutes, it was just silence...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1537 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:48:53 »

There were some telephone poles behind the burnout boxes that got charred after they ran.  And the most errie part was how when they shut off the engines and pulled the chutes, it was just silence...

It was definitely quite the experience, I recommend that everybody should see it at some point. Cars just give me a such a thrill, why do I only enjoy the expensive hobbies. :p

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1538 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:59:30 »

It was definitely quite the experience, I recommend that everybody should see it at some point. Cars just give me a such a thrill, why do I only enjoy the expensive hobbies. :p

One thing I got to see with a jet car was when they backed one up to I think an old mid '80's Toyota Tercel and cooked the car to almost nothing. Just hit the after burner on the jet and the car just blew away in a cloud of sparks. Took quite a few minutes but it was amazing to witness within about 50 yards. Really amazing.

Here's an example:
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1539 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 08:45:20 »
It's just insane how much thrust can be made with a jet engine.  At some point, someone modded their new Beetle to have a jet engine in it:

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1540 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 09:26:48 »
It's just insane how much thrust can be made with a jet engine.  At some point, someone modded their new Beetle to have a jet engine in it:
Show Image

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

It would sure make getting to work a lot easier, I'd be afraid to pull up behind it at a red light. Jet engines are truly fascinating, my brother and father know so much about them. I enjoy sitting down with somebody and let them talk about what hobbies interests let, let them go into detail. I could talk keybaords all day but my friends think it's a joke. :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1541 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 09:53:25 »
Okay, more annoying questions about winter tires.  :D  I'm planning a road trip to Florida around New Years.  If I swap out to winter tires before then (when the snow comes), I'll be driving on winter tires for the trip.  This would be good as I navigate through WI and IL, but as I get to TN and GA I certainly won't need them and in fact it will be warmer than I'd like to run them in.  Am I overthinking this?  Should I just put the tires through those couple weeks of abuse and deal with it, or run my all-seasons for the trip and swap to winter after I get back?

Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

Oooohhhh.  This in MKE or HSV?  I wanna find some rally to watch.  :D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1542 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:11:07 »
Okay, more annoying questions about winter tires.  :D  I'm planning a road trip to Florida around New Years.  If I swap out to winter tires before then (when the snow comes), I'll be driving on winter tires for the trip.  This would be good as I navigate through WI and IL, but as I get to TN and GA I certainly won't need them and in fact it will be warmer than I'd like to run them in.  Am I overthinking this?  Should I just put the tires through those couple weeks of abuse and deal with it, or run my all-seasons for the trip and swap to winter after I get back?

I would drive with the all season tires for the trip and then swap once you get back. Once you hit warmer climates your snow tires would wear faster and decrease performance since snow tires have a soft compound to be able to grip to ice and snow better. Driving snow tires in warm climates is kind of like driving on tires that have low psi.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:12:50 by Steezus »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1543 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:17:10 »

I would drive with the all season tires for the trip and then swap once you get back. Once you hit warmer climates your snow tires would wear faster and decrease performance since snow tires have a soft compound to be able to grip to ice and snow better. Driving snow tires in warm climates is kind of like driving on tires that have low psi.

Right.  So the drawbacks of increased wear in the south outweigh the benefits of increased traction when I'm first embarking in the north.  Makes sense.  :thumb:  Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a rule of thumb like "it's okay to drive them warm for a week or two without suffering terrible wear".

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1544 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:21:40 »

Right.  So the drawbacks of increased wear in the south outweigh the benefits of increased traction when I'm first embarking in the north.  Makes sense.  :thumb:  Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a rule of thumb like "it's okay to drive them warm for a week or two without suffering terrible wear".

If you weren't doing too much travelling then it wouldn't be that bad but it seems like you're going to put a fair bit of miles on your car for the trip. I heard it's going to be a mild winter and that most of the snow should be coming around February, maybe you'll get lucky and won't have much snow driving. I want as much snow as possible to I can ski. :p

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1545 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:22:19 »

I second the All Seasons suggestion. Specially since you will be doing highway in warm weather. It'll wear down the snow tires a lot faster than necessary.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1546 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:33:51 »

If you weren't doing too much travelling then it wouldn't be that bad but it seems like you're going to put a fair bit of miles on your car for the trip. I heard it's going to be a mild winter and that most of the snow should be coming around February, maybe you'll get lucky and won't have much snow driving. I want as much snow as possible to I can ski. :p

I second the All Seasons suggestion. Specially since you will be doing highway in warm weather. It'll wear down the snow tires a lot faster than necessary.

Roger that.  Thanks guys!  :) 

And I'm hoping for some snow so I can ski too!  :D 

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1547 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:25:35 »
Check out my newest ride! A sweet Ferrari F40 kit car that I assembled myself :thumb:

Unfortunately I don't fit in it.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1548 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:27:12 »
Check out my newest ride! A sweet Ferrari F40 kit car that I assembled myself :thumb:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's pretty awesome!

How long did it take ya?

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1549 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 15:03:33 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is super cool! Where do you find such a thing?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent