Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649584 times)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1550 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 15:08:29 »
That's pretty awesome!
How long did it take ya?

I didn't quite time myself but it was a couple hours. Maybe 3 or so? I wasn't rushing it. It was pretty detailed and fun to build.

This is super cool! Where do you find such a thing?

I saw it in a Lego store and had to buy it on the spot. You can also find it online here: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Ferrari-F40-10248?HQS=lego%20ferrari%20f40

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1551 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 17:16:59 »
That's pretty awesome!
How long did it take ya?

I didn't quite time myself but it was a couple hours. Maybe 3 or so? I wasn't rushing it. It was pretty detailed and fun to build.

I saw it in a Lego store and had to buy it on the spot. You can also find it online here: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Ferrari-F40-10248?HQS=lego%20ferrari%20f40

Your pictures look so much nicer than their crappy picture on the website!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1552 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:52:44 »
Alright, next question in the Noob Questions From Hoffman series in the Car Thread.  :))

Remote starters:

Does anyone have any brand loyalty when it comes to aftermarket remote starters?  If so, why?

One of the local shops by me offers CompuStar, and I'm wondering if the units are good and also if the prices are decent.

They have the Prime G9 unit for $500, the Prime G6 unit for $400 (or some variant - they claim 1500 ft, not 1000 ft), and the Pro T11 for $650.  I could add the Drone phone portion to any package for $200.  All prices are with installation.  Oh and they are offering a promotion for $75 off any setup right now.

I'm leaning toward the Prime G9 since at both home and work I have a slight distance to overcome and I can't directly see the car so the 2-way would be nice.  But maybe someone can share their experience/expertise and sway me another direction.  :)

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #1553 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:08:06 »
Hi guys, I would like some advice on a commuter car purchase, and also my first car purchase of my own.
I'm looking at the new Civic (don't deem it worthy to wait until March for an Si... or is it?).
It seems to have some useful tech and I may go for the 1.5T even though I read it's no VTEC as in the European models.
Others in line were the Mazda 3 or the Golf (if the current issues allow for big discounts). All in all, I'm saving my "enthusiast" purchase for after I can get settled in a bit more.

Obviously would love something like a WRX instead being in Illinois but with 1 hr+ (even more in the winter, until I decide to move) commutes for the moment I wouldn't want to put on so many miles on cars like that. Anyway, would love to hear other good options I don't know about like AWD subarus or something.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1554 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:25:40 »
Check out my newest ride! A sweet Ferrari F40 kit car that I assembled myself :thumb:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Unfortunately I don't fit in it.

I need this in my life.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1555 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:23:39 »
Okay, more annoying questions about winter tires.  :D  I'm planning a road trip to Florida around New Years.  If I swap out to winter tires before then (when the snow comes), I'll be driving on winter tires for the trip.  This would be good as I navigate through WI and IL, but as I get to TN and GA I certainly won't need them and in fact it will be warmer than I'd like to run them in.  Am I overthinking this?  Should I just put the tires through those couple weeks of abuse and deal with it, or run my all-seasons for the trip and swap to winter after I get back?

Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

Oooohhhh.  This in MKE or HSV?  I wanna find some rally to watch.  :D
So on the tires, contrary to what everyone has said, I wouldn't worry about the wear at all.  I've made numerous trips from MKE to HSV on the snow tires without any ill effects.  Yes, you will have some tire wear, but that's nothing compared to the deductible if something goes wrong on the all-seasons if there's snow.  To me tires are a wear item (along with brakes)--get the best you can and don't worry about wearing them out because they will wear out anyways.

Rallycross is in HSV.  MKE's car scene is not even 1/50th of what's in little old HSV.  Here's some event coverage for you to enjoy from some events:  :cool:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4072
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4204

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1556 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:25:44 »
That really is cool. I need it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:32:49 »
Okay, more annoying questions about winter tires.  :D  I'm planning a road trip to Florida around New Years.  If I swap out to winter tires before then (when the snow comes), I'll be driving on winter tires for the trip.  This would be good as I navigate through WI and IL, but as I get to TN and GA I certainly won't need them and in fact it will be warmer than I'd like to run them in.  Am I overthinking this?  Should I just put the tires through those couple weeks of abuse and deal with it, or run my all-seasons for the trip and swap to winter after I get back?

Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

Oooohhhh.  This in MKE or HSV?  I wanna find some rally to watch.  :D
So on the tires, contrary to what everyone has said, I wouldn't worry about the wear at all.  I've made numerous trips from MKE to HSV on the snow tires without any ill effects.  Yes, you will have some tire wear, but that's nothing compared to the deductible if something goes wrong on the all-seasons if there's snow.  To me tires are a wear item (along with brakes)--get the best you can and don't worry about wearing them out because they will wear out anyways.

Rallycross is in HSV.  MKE's car scene is not even 1/50th of what's in little old HSV.  Here's some event coverage for you to enjoy from some events:  :cool:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4072
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4204

Hmm.  So my suspicions may be true after all.  Well, we'll see where I'm at.  And if it even snows much by then.  I'll get shopping again and go from there.  :thumb: 
Thank you for your input (srsly tho xD )

And damn!  I was hoping there was a good car scene there.  I hadn't heard of anything down there but oh well.  I think there's a little going on up here where I'm at, but not a ton that would be up my alley.

Is that your account on the other site??  ;)  Man, I should hitch a ride down there with you sometime to take a look.  :P

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1558 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:45:06 »
Check out my newest ride! A sweet Ferrari F40 kit car that I assembled myself :thumb:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Unfortunately I don't fit in it.
OMG!!  I LOVE LEGOS!  I wish my wife would get this side of me--cars, legos, keyboards...
Alright, next question in the Noob Questions From Hoffman series in the Car Thread.  :))

Remote starters:

Does anyone have any brand loyalty when it comes to aftermarket remote starters?  If so, why?

One of the local shops by me offers CompuStar, and I'm wondering if the units are good and also if the prices are decent.

They have the Prime G9 unit for $500, the Prime G6 unit for $400 (or some variant - they claim 1500 ft, not 1000 ft), and the Pro T11 for $650.  I could add the Drone phone portion to any package for $200.  All prices are with installation.  Oh and they are offering a promotion for $75 off any setup right now.

I'm leaning toward the Prime G9 since at both home and work I have a slight distance to overcome and I can't directly see the car so the 2-way would be nice.  But maybe someone can share their experience/expertise and sway me another direction.  :)
For remote starts, I'd look to the factory unit first--a lot of the wiring harness may already be in the car making it a much better install, and usually the price is pretty competitive considering it's usually a higher quality product.
Hi guys, I would like some advice on a commuter car purchase, and also my first car purchase of my own.
I'm looking at the new Civic (don't deem it worthy to wait until March for an Si... or is it?).
It seems to have some useful tech and I may go for the 1.5T even though I read it's no VTEC as in the European models.
Others in line were the Mazda 3 or the Golf (if the current issues allow for big discounts). All in all, I'm saving my "enthusiast" purchase for after I can get settled in a bit more.

Obviously would love something like a WRX instead being in Illinois but with 1 hr+ (even more in the winter, until I decide to move) commutes for the moment I wouldn't want to put on so many miles on cars like that. Anyway, would love to hear other good options I don't know about like AWD subarus or something.
If you're going to be in snow with an hour commute each way, definitely go with a Subaru if you can find one in your price range.  With snow tires that's going to be a safe bet, especially if you're having to deal with highway madness combined with snow--your subie could save you right there.  There's a reason they have the rep they do.  I wouldn't dream of anything other.  We couldn't afford one so we bought our Kizashi awd, but if we could have afford the Legacy we were looking at it would have been sold.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1559 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:48:22 »

Remote starters:

For remote starts, I'd look to the factory unit first--a lot of the wiring harness may already be in the car making it a much better install, and usually the price is pretty competitive considering it's usually a higher quality product.

Do the factory units have the same range and functionality?  With these, I could decide to get the phone app, for example.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1560 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:18:47 »
That's pretty awesome!
How long did it take ya?

even in LEGO form a ferrari is too much for me!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #1561 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:44:15 »
If you're going to be in snow with an hour commute each way, definitely go with a Subaru if you can find one in your price range.  With snow tires that's going to be a safe bet, especially if you're having to deal with highway madness combined with snow--your subie could save you right there.  There's a reason they have the rep they do.  I wouldn't dream of anything other.  We couldn't afford one so we bought our Kizashi awd, but if we could have afford the Legacy we were looking at it would have been sold.

Your advice makes a lot of sense. I drive through a lot of local roads with bends and hills, so this drive in the winter may be a lot more challenging than I am expecting.
I will definitely have to look into the subie lineup and read up on it, maybe into used cars too :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1562 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:56:01 »

Your advice makes a lot of sense. I drive through a lot of local roads with bends and hills, so this drive in the winter may be a lot more challenging than I am expecting.
I will definitely have to look into the subie lineup and read up on it, maybe into used cars too :thumb:

I like my Subie so far.  :D

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #1563 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:12:03 »

:eek: hohoho... which one do you drive hoff?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1564 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:20:21 »

a god damn outback he refuses to slam :(

always talking about "practical" pfft, practical shmactical. low life 4 lyfe.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #1565 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:23:56 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1566 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:25:18 »

Remote starters:

Do the factory units have the same range and functionality?  With these, I could decide to get the phone app, for example.
I'm not sure since the last time I looked into them was when we were looking at the Subie Legacy about 2 years ago.  But the thing about anything aftermarket is that it generally isn't built to the same reliability (unless it's a high-end performance part, then it's usually better).  So while it may have features, that one cold morning when it doesn't work will really suck.

Hands down, I would get a used Subie awd than a new fwd anything for IL.  I'm just north of you and I can't tell you how many idiots you have there, but if it's like around here, you'll need everything you can possibly get to keep yourself safe in the winter.  The things I've seen just picking up my wife and dropping her off just 1mi to and from work.  :eek:

One of the Outback's best features is the great ground clearance. ;)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1567 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 06:49:21 »
Hoff, factory units usually don't have a far range as some of the aftermarket stuff out there. If wired up correctly you shouldn't really have any issues. I used to have a viper system (don't even remember the model) that worked flawlessly. 2 way remote, functionality to set up heater/ac, and some other nice things.

I'm more of a fan of aftermarket myself (a/v, alarms, rims, etc.) More customization and product better catered to your liking. If you haven't heard of viper look into it!
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 06:50:57 by 1swt2gs »

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1568 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:45:44 »

Hands down, I would get a used Subie awd than a new fwd anything for IL.  I'm just north of you and I can't tell you how many idiots you have there, but if it's like around here, you'll need everything you can possibly get to keep yourself safe in the winter.  The things I've seen just picking up my wife and dropping her off just 1mi to and from work.

Haven't you been run off the road by a FIB headed north for the holidays yet?  :)

Thanks for the remote start responses, guys. Good to get some feedback from various people. I'm a fan of factory parts but I feel like my impression of factory remote starters just isn't that great. I'll have to do some research into the Subaru offering.

And yeah sori, I have an Outback.  :thumb:  owned only since March, so no comments on snow performance.  :)  But I'm loving it so far.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1569 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:03:29 »
Sori, please remember this one advice I have for you:

Winter tires are the most important thing you need for winter weather.

You can have an AWD with all seasons, and a RWD with proper winter tires will have more traction than you. If you need more proof, there are YouTube videos that cover this. AWD is not some magical solution to having traction, it will help, but not if you have the wrong tires.

It's the ONLY contact point between the car and the road, so please don't forget this, otherwise it will be very dangerous.

P.S. I always drive RWD to Whistler with proper tires, in snow, no problems. ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:06:21 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1570 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:33:01 »

You can have an AWD with all seasons, and a RWD with proper winter tires will have more traction than you. If you need more proof, there are YouTube videos that cover this. AWD is not some magical solution to having traction, it will help, but not if you have the wrong tires.

It's the ONLY contact point between the car and the road, so please don't forget this, otherwise it will be very dangerous.

Really, really great advice.  Awd helps only when getting you moving, but you can't stop without traction--that's the mistake most people with awd make--going faster than you can stop quickly.

Our Kizashi's stock tires absolutely sucked.  Our first time out in the snow, in the first snow of the season in MKE, we were praying just to get home safe without getting hit since we couldn't evade idiots.  We didn't drive the car for a month once we got it home safe.  Yes, it scared us that bad.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1571 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:05:17 »
I wish we had snow here so I could drive in it :(

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1572 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:57:35 »

I could die happy if I never saw another snowflake for the rest of my life. #rustbelt

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1573 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:00:46 »

I approve.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1574 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 19:45:23 »
Alright, well after doing a bit more research on the remote starter front, I've booked an appointment to have one installed.  :-[

I looked into the factory remotes, and I don't really like the idea of it shutting off the engine when you open the door, so that's a non-starter (hehe) for me.

I tried to find any sort of comparison between Viper and CompuStar to no avail.  The consensus seems to be "they're both really good".  Well okay then!  :P

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #1575 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 21:10:26 »
And yeah sori, I have an Outback.  :thumb:  owned only since March, so no comments on snow performance.  :)  But I'm loving it so far.
Very nice :D. At my work I noticed an insane stock 1st-gen WRX which I marvel at every day. I think it's perhaps sparked my interest in Subarus.

Wow, thanks so much for your advice! I have never owned winter tires, but they must really be game changers.
The reason I stayed way clear of RWD is because of snow, but seems like you are defying that notion lol.

I should have come to this thread sooner! really helpful ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1576 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 21:15:15 »
Very nice :D. At my work I noticed an insane stock 1st-gen WRX which I marvel at every day. I think it's perhaps sparked my interest in Subarus.

Wow, thanks so much for your advice! I have never owned winter tires, but they must really be game changers.
The reason I stayed way clear of RWD is because of snow, but seems like you are defying that notion lol.

I should have come to this thread sooner! really helpful ;)

:D  I live on the "uncool" side of the Subie spectrum.  :P  (though I think mine is cooler for what I do! ;) )

And if you're in the market for RWD, I have a '97 Sonoma I'm trying to sell......  :rolleyes: :))

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1577 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 21:18:01 »
Alright, well after doing a bit more research on the remote starter front, I've booked an appointment to have one installed.  :-[

I looked into the factory remotes, and I don't really like the idea of it shutting off the engine when you open the door, so that's a non-starter (hehe) for me.

I tried to find any sort of comparison between Viper and CompuStar to no avail.  The consensus seems to be "they're both really good".  Well okay then!  :P

What brand did you end up going with?

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1578 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:10:03 »

CompuStar.  We shall see how it goes.  :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1579 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 04:54:37 »
I wish I had a second car so I could just wrap the Golf up when the salt trucks come out :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1580 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 07:44:53 »
I wish I had a second car so I could just wrap the Golf up when the salt trucks come out :(

:'(  Me too.  Poor little thing...  :(

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1581 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 13:59:11 »

Awesome, I'm sure you know this, but make sure you get a 2 way remote. Don't rely solely on your phone as the means to open/close/start your car.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:01:54 by 1swt2gs »

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:01:28 »

Awesome, I'm sure you know this, but make sure you get a 2 way remote. Don't rely solely on your phone as the means to open/close/start your car.

I went with the 2-way.  :thumb:  I'm not adding the phone part just yet; will see how this goes and consider adding phone later. 

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1583 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:09:08 »

I went with the 2-way.  :thumb:  I'm not adding the phone part just yet; will see how this goes and consider adding phone later.

Good choice, 2-ways are pretty reliable and it would be bad for your phone to die on you if you just had the app :p. The app should be nice for starting the car and getting it warmed up in the winters but I wouldn't see myself using it to lock or unlock the car because it would be a pain having to unlock my phone to unlock my car every time.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1584 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:47:36 »

Good choice, 2-ways are pretty reliable and it would be bad for your phone to die on you if you just had the app :p. The app should be nice for starting the car and getting it warmed up in the winters but I wouldn't see myself using it to lock or unlock the car because it would be a pain having to unlock my phone to unlock my car every time.

Story time, we went bar hopping and drove the buddies LEXUS LS. He didn't want to carry a lot so he grabbed his phone and wallet, left his keys in the car. Ended up breaking his phone during the night, keys stuck in the car so we had to call an Uber home at the end of the night.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1585 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:12:14 »

Story time, we went bar hopping and drove the buddies LEXUS LS. He didn't want to carry a lot so he grabbed his phone and wallet, left his keys in the car. Ended up breaking his phone during the night, keys stuck in the car so we had to call an Uber home at the end of the night.

Wow haha, sounds like an expensive night between bar tabs, broken phone, uber bill, etc.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1586 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:36:06 »

Wow haha, sounds like an expensive night between bar tabs, broken phone, uber bill, etc.

Still cheaper than my obsessive mechanical keyboard hobby

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1587 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:42:17 »

I hope he learned his lesson driving an LS, that wouldn't have happened if he had the LFA  ;)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1588 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 21:32:39 »
i used to feel that way until i realized others would be out in it.  That's just scary.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #1589 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:31:37 »

Very nice, I got lucky not that long ago to get a very detailed tour of a real one (the back/engine trunk is hheeaavvyy) that was going back to its stock config to then get the "Ferrari Classiche" certification in Italy.  The F40 is one of my favourite cars of all the time although I do like the 288 GTO even better :)

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1590 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:21:07 »
Should I buy an 8 year old Lexus RX400h ? Would I be asking for trouble?
My line of thinking is it's a Toyota so it should be good for at least 10 - 15 years...

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1591 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:25:40 »
My line of thinking is it's a Toyota so it should be good for at least 10 - 15 years...

Huge Lexus fan here.

Don't know about the hybrids, but the Rx series (rx300, rx350, etc.) is extremely reliable. However, your question is WAYYYY too broad. It's really car by car basis.  Could you provide some more information about the amount of mileage, service records, where the car is located, vin # (I don't have a carfax source anymore, but someone can run a carfax), etc.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1592 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:30:25 »
My neighbor just bought a Crosstrek in orange and an impreza in blue at the same time. SO JEALOUS. My 2 top picks for next car. I think they are in my brain. Tinfoil hat incoming.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1593 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:38:31 »

Huge Lexus fan here.

Don't know about the hybrids, but the Rx series (rx300, rx350, etc.) is extremely reliable. However, your question is WAYYYY too broad. It's really car by car basis.  Could you provide some more information about the amount of mileage, service records, where the car is located, vin # (I don't have a carfax source anymore, but someone can run a carfax), etc.

Haven't picked a specific one yet. Just choosing what to choose. Was previously thinking 4yr old Focus, but realised for the same money I could get that higher driving position without sacrificing too much in mpg. Just wondering about general reliability of such an old car.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1594 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:53:44 »

Huge Lexus fan here.

Haven't picked a specific one yet. Just choosing what to choose. Was previously thinking 4yr old Focus, but realised for the same money I could get that higher driving position without sacrificing too much in mpg. Just wondering about general reliability of such an old car.

Ah I see! If you can I would highly suggest the non hybrid series such as the Rx350. Might be less efficient on gas but definitely more reliable.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1595 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 14:09:04 »
My neighbor just bought a Crosstrek in orange and an impreza in blue at the same time. SO JEALOUS. My 2 top picks for next car. I think they are in my brain. Tinfoil hat incoming.

Two cars at once??  That's insane.  But yeah I'm with you, those are two cars I'd love to have if I fit in them.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1596 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:12:43 »
car porn  :-*
that nigerian prince really needs to get back to me with all my money so i can go buy this

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #1597 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:04:09 »
that nigerian prince really needs to get back to me with all my money so i can go buy this
Show Image

Dear Jema,

I am Mr. 1swt2gs, Bank Manager of Union Bank Plc of Nigeria.  I have urgent and very confidential business proposition for you. On October 26, 2015, an American CEO with the Mechanical Keyboard Corporation, Mrs. Jema made a numbered time(Fixed) Deposit for twelve(12)calendar months,valued at US$20,000,000.00 (Twenty Million Dollars) in my branch.  Upon maturity, I sent a routine notification to her forwarding address but got no reply.  After a month, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from her contract employers, the Mechanical Keyboard Corporation that Mrs. Jema suffered from an sickness.  On further investigation, I found out that she died without making a WILL and all attempts to trace her next of kin was fruitless.

I therefore made further investigation and discovered that Mr. Jema is on GeekHack. This sum of US$20,000,000.00 is still sitting in my Bank and the interest is being rolled over with the principal sum at the end of each year.  No one will ever come forward to claim it.  According to our Banking Law, at the expiration of 5 (five) years, the money will revert to the ownership of our Government if nobody applies to claim the funds.

Consequently, you are next of kin to Mrs. Jema so that the fruits of this woman's labour will not get into the hands of some corrupt government officials. This is simple, I will like you to provide immediately your full names and address so that the Attorney will prepare the necessary documents and affidavits which will put you in place as the next of kin. We shall employ the service of an Accredited Attorney for drafting and notarization of the WILL and to obtain the necessary documents and letter of Probate/Administration in your favour for the transfer.  A bank Account in any part of the world which you will provide will then facilitate the transfer of this money to you as the beneficiary/next of kin.  The money will be paid into your Account for us to share in the ration of  60% for me and 40% for you. I will also take payment in Bro caps.

There is no risk at all as the paper work for this transaction will be done by the Attorney and my position as the Branch Manager guarantees the successful execution of this transaction.  If you are interested, please reply immediately via PM.Upon your response, I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand the transaction.

Please observe utmost confidentiality, and rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us because I shall require your assistance to invest my share in your country. Awaiting your urgent reply through PM.

Best regard,
1swt2gs
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:06:08 by 1swt2gs »

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1598 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 15:23:12 »
However, your question is WAYYYY too broad. It's really car by car basis.  Could you provide some more information about the amount of mileage, service records, where the car is located, vin # (I don't have a carfax source anymore, but someone can run a carfax), etc.
Well said.  Cars are like keyboards in that sense--the previous owner and build quality play a lot into the individual vehicle.  :thumb:
Show Image

And a jet too?  Seriously.  I would have loved to set up that shot.

"Nope, that wasn't right, send the jet back over and have them hit the afterburners this time."  ;D

Those Nigerians are no joke though.  I'm dealing with a company where one of the principle llc members was a Nigerian and skipped town.  Shady AfriCONS...

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1599 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 16:14:47 »
Show Image

Dear Jema,

I am Mr. 1swt2gs, Bank Manager of Union Bank Plc of Nigeria.  I have urgent and very confidential business proposition for you. On October 26, 2015, an American CEO with the Mechanical Keyboard Corporation, Mrs. Jema made a numbered time(Fixed) Deposit for twelve(12)calendar months,valued at US$20,000,000.00 (Twenty Million Dollars) in my branch.  Upon maturity, I sent a routine notification to her forwarding address but got no reply.  After a month, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from her contract employers, the Mechanical Keyboard Corporation that Mrs. Jema suffered from an sickness.  On further investigation, I found out that she died without making a WILL and all attempts to trace her next of kin was fruitless.

I therefore made further investigation and discovered that Mr. Jema is on GeekHack. This sum of US$20,000,000.00 is still sitting in my Bank and the interest is being rolled over with the principal sum at the end of each year.  No one will ever come forward to claim it.  According to our Banking Law, at the expiration of 5 (five) years, the money will revert to the ownership of our Government if nobody applies to claim the funds.

Consequently, you are next of kin to Mrs. Jema so that the fruits of this woman's labour will not get into the hands of some corrupt government officials. This is simple, I will like you to provide immediately your full names and address so that the Attorney will prepare the necessary documents and affidavits which will put you in place as the next of kin. We shall employ the service of an Accredited Attorney for drafting and notarization of the WILL and to obtain the necessary documents and letter of Probate/Administration in your favour for the transfer.  A bank Account in any part of the world which you will provide will then facilitate the transfer of this money to you as the beneficiary/next of kin.  The money will be paid into your Account for us to share in the ration of  60% for me and 40% for you. I will also take payment in Bro caps.

There is no risk at all as the paper work for this transaction will be done by the Attorney and my position as the Branch Manager guarantees the successful execution of this transaction.  If you are interested, please reply immediately via PM.Upon your response, I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand the transaction.

Please observe utmost confidentiality, and rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us because I shall require your assistance to invest my share in your country. Awaiting your urgent reply through PM.

Best regard,
1swt2gs

BUT I'm Ms. Jema and I've assassinated my father to take what is rightfully mine! MUAHAHA!

However, your question is WAYYYY too broad. It's really car by car basis.  Could you provide some more information about the amount of mileage, service records, where the car is located, vin # (I don't have a carfax source anymore, but someone can run a carfax), etc.
Well said.  Cars are like keyboards in that sense--the previous owner and build quality play a lot into the individual vehicle.  :thumb:
Show Image

And a jet too?  Seriously.  I would have loved to set up that shot.

"Nope, that wasn't right, send the jet back over and have them hit the afterburners this time."  ;D

Those Nigerians are no joke though.  I'm dealing with a company where one of the principle llc members was a Nigerian and skipped town.  Shady AfriCONS...
I would have loved to drive that car.  :'( V12!? LATER SUCKAS