Author Topic: Help troubleshooting my LeandreN build  (Read 2280 times)

Offline zeltner

Help troubleshooting my LeandreN build
« on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 06:42:00 »
I finally got around to putting together my kit from LeandreN round 4 but I noticed a few issues and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

1) A few of the stabilized keys seem "sticky". The enter key for example, will not return all the way up. I am assuming I did something wrong with the stabilizers when I installed them. I can get pictures of this later after work today, but hoping someone might have an idea off hand of what causes this.

2) Some key presses are not registering. It seems somewhat random when this happens, but definitely more often the faster I type. The "b" key seems to be a primary culprit. Also it seems to happen quite often when I am typing the same letter twice in a row. I'm wondering if this could be a result of poor soldering and loose connections? Or maybe there is a firmware update I need to do (I haven't had time to tinker with the firmware or the nerd gui yet). This is also my first board wth "clicky" switches so maybe that is just how clicky switches behave?

Any thoughts or ideas what might be going on would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline 3K

Re: Help troubleshooting my LeandreN build
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 07:31:38 »
1) A few of the stabilized keys seem "sticky". The enter key for example, will not return all the way up. I am assuming I did something wrong with the stabilizers when I installed them. I can get pictures of this later after work today, but hoping someone might have an idea off hand of what causes this.

I fear you did not clip the stabilisers. I had the same problem to be honest ... I do not know of an easy way to fix this unfortunately.

2) Some key presses are not registering. It seems somewhat random when this happens, but definitely more often the faster I type. The "b" key seems to be a primary culprit. Also it seems to happen quite often when I am typing the same letter twice in a row. I'm wondering if this could be a result of poor soldering and loose connections? Or maybe there is a firmware update I need to do (I haven't had time to tinker with the firmware or the nerd gui yet). This is also my first board wth "clicky" switches so maybe that is just how clicky switches behave?

This could be a soldering issue. You could try to resolder the joints of the faulty switches to fix it.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline zeltner

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 07:44:54 »

I fear you did not clip the stabilisers. I had the same problem to be honest ... I do not know of an easy way to fix this unfortunately.

Yeah I didn't clip anything off the stabilizers. I've heard of clipping them but wasn't really sure what it was all about. This is my second custom build. I didn't do any clipping on my other build either but that worked fine. Guess I just got lucky on that one...

This could be a soldering issue. You could try to resolder the joints of the faulty switches to fix it.

That was my first thought. I am planning to try that tonight for some of the more probelmatic keys. It seems to happen to a LOT of keys on a double press though so I wonder if there aren't two different issues.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 12:02:02 »
Clicky as in MX blues/greens?  You have to let go higher than the point where they click and register the press - if you don't get two clicks you won't get two letters, unless you're typing slow enough for the hold-repeat thing to kick in.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline zeltner

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 12:10:53 »
Clicky as in MX blues/greens?  You have to let go higher than the point where they click and register the press - if you don't get two clicks you won't get two letters, unless you're typing slow enough for the hold-repeat thing to kick in.

Gateron blues. I am hearing both clicks so I don't think that is the issues. I am going to try resoldering some of the switches first. If that doesn't fix it then I'll try to get a short typing video up this evening maybe that will help visualize whats going on.

Offline zeltner

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 17:29:28 »
I got a chance to tinker with it a bit more. After it sat for a day and then typing on it a bit the stabs don't feel as sticky. Hopefully they will continue to feel better otherwise IDK I guess I would have to desolder the whole thing to get them out and clip them. Probably wont be doing that.

Still seems like the the switches are acting weird though. I looked at the solder joints and everything looked to be fine. I touched a few of them up anyway just to be safe but this did not resolve anything. A little more testing it seems like I can do this with every switch on the board. So either I have a bad batch of switches, or there is an issue on the pcb that is effecting everything, or there is a firmware issue?

I'm adding a short video that hopefully illustrates better what is happening. Maybe someone has seen this sort of issue before and can point me in the right direction. You will see when I press a switch "slowly" it registers no problem. But when I am pressing fast it wont register some or all of the presses.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R9z84fmV9cU2lfZnZIUU1JWjg/view?usp=sharing

Offline zeltner

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 16:03:34 »
I figured it out. Had to do with the nkro. As soon as I changed the nkro setting it started working fine.