Author Topic: NEC HPC-412, $35  (Read 4965 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
NEC HPC-412, $35
« on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:47:58 »
It's not working properly, but someone may want to try and repair it or may need parts to repair on they have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NEC-Keyboard-APC-H412-PS-2-Made-in-Thailand-Rough-Shape-Parts-Repair-/371254256859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56707a64db

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
Re: NEC HPC-412, $35
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 17:29:01 »
I've never known of or seen that board before this morning, but I instantly fell in love with the look of the keycaps and the sound of the click on the couple of YouTube videos I saw.  NEC blues?  Didn't know they even existed before today.

I picked that one up.  I'm good at electronics so if I can't repair what's there, I'll put a converter in it, depending on how good the switches feel.  I like both Alps and Cherry blues, so this is probably right up my alley.

Plus, I just felt sorry for the old boy.

Thanks, Nubs -  :thumb:

Offline engicoder

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 19:57:19 »
I was watching that board for weeks, but could never pull the trigger. I liked what I read about NEC blues, but it always fell into the interesting but not *needed* category. Glad someone here picked it up.  :thumb:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 00:18:40 »
Please take some pictures and document NEC switches on the Deskthority wiki, if you get the chance.

NEC switches are kind of interesting; HaaTa has a couple of NEC boards, and they’re pretty fun/nice to type on. I haven’t ever tried one actually plugged into a computer, but from what I understand, they actuate a bit before the click point, similar to Omron B3G-S or clicky Hi-Tek space invaders, but even more pronounced.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 03:21:06 »
I have an NEC APC H4100E keyboard with NEC blue switches.  I more or less learned many of my programming skills on a similar keyboard many years ago.

The interesting thing about these switches is that they actuate just BEFORE the click, so it is possible to type almost silently on them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:47:42 »
It would be my pleasure to take pictures of it and document what I can both on my keyboard blog and Deskthority, time permitting.  Sure hope I can get the thing to work. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 17:22:07 »
It would be my pleasure to take pictures of it and document what I can both on my keyboard blog and Deskthority, time permitting.  Sure hope I can get the thing to work. :)

FWIW mine is AT, and with an AT to PS/2 adaptor, and a PS/2 to USB converter, works on my Mac!

If that combination works, almost anything else should :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 18:31:26 »
Thanks, rowdy- I think I read somewhere that troubles were had with the blue cube PS2-USB adapter, so the first thing I'm going to do is plug it into a machine with a real PS2 port, to ensure that wasn't the original problem and go from there.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 21:30:45 »
Thanks, rowdy- I think I read somewhere that troubles were had with the blue cube PS2-USB adapter, so the first thing I'm going to do is plug it into a machine with a real PS2 port, to ensure that wasn't the original problem and go from there.

I use PS/2 to USB adaptor from ID Innovations, like this one: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 08:38:38 »
Excellent info - thanks again!   :thumb:

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:41:51 »
I'm one lucky bastard.  Keyboard performs flawlessly.   :cool:

https://klikkyklik.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/risk-rewarded/

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:59:11 »
GRATS!  I would really love to own one some day.  I love obsecure old clicky switches.  I'm actually typing this on a Futaba switch keyboard.  Clicky all the way!

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:03:33 »
There’s another on ebay, though not quite as cheap, if you really want one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311333915222

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 06:15:17 »
I'm one lucky bastard.  Keyboard performs flawlessly.   :cool:

https://klikkyklik.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/risk-rewarded/

Congrats :)

I'm beginning to wonder whether these keyboards are indestructible!  My similar NEC keyboard was used as a footrest, and still works (apart from the missing left arrow)!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 07:54:29 »
Nice review! Will you be making a typing video? :)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:45:59 »
Nice review! Will you be making a typing video? :)

Thank you!  Likewise, I always enjoy your reviews and vids too.

I've been really tempted to do videos for a while.  If I can muster the time and find a quiet enough spot, I'll give it a go and post back here.

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:49:23 »
Video quality isn't the best, but hopefully the audio is OK.  First keyboard vid I've ever done.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:31:03 »
Video quality isn't the best, but hopefully the audio is OK.  First keyboard vid I've ever done.

Nice and clicky :) . From here, it sounds a little bit like a mid-point between Alps and Cherries, is that accurate?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:32:07 »
Is it just me or does it sound like it bottoms out pretty harshly?

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:06:50 »
Yeah, I would say a combo of Alps and Cherry blues would be a good way to put it!

The audio is admittedly a bit harsh; I cranked the audio level a bit so it could be heard better.  I suppose I should do another recording, maybe just audio with an SM57 mic positioned about the same level as my head.  The backspace key does have quite a thonk.  The normal keys aren't near as loud as that backspace!

I'd say that if you turned the audio down to the point where you can't hear the background white noise, it's more accurate as to real life.

A Realforce 55g uniform for comparison. 

There are links to a few others, including an Omni Key/102 and a Corsair K70 with reds on my blog if you're interested.  https://klikkyklik.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:10:52 by klikkyklik »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:47:22 »
A Realforce 55g uniform for comparison. 
Haha, that sounds a bit like standing under a thin metal roof in heavy rain xD .

There are links to a few others, including an Omni Key/102 and a Corsair K70 with reds on my blog if you're interested.  https://klikkyklik.wordpress.com/
Hmm, interesting. Your Omnikey sounds a bit shallower and more high pitched than my blue Alps board, but I suspect that's the camera or its placement. The AT101W sounds pretty much exactly the same though. Nice page!

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 22:21:32 »
klikkyklik said something about not wanting to pull key caps on this board on account of possible damage. Well, it is a real possibility, but it is also possible to pull key caps cleanly.

Here is my first keyboarding video, showing my procedure of rolling off a key cap. I use a very similar procedure for Space Invaders boards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 22:44:46 »
Something else that can break the plastic rivets in the switches is to use the keyboard as a foot rest and regularly kick it.

And you're right - the switches do not go back together easily.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 03:07:01 »
klikkyklik said something about not wanting to pull key caps on this board on account of possible damage. Well, it is a real possibility, but it is also possible to pull key caps cleanly.

Here is my first keyboarding video, showing my procedure of rolling off a key cap. I use a very similar procedure for Space Invaders boards.

Nice video :) . I hope I get one of them someday. So both the 412 and 410 have blue ovals, then?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 05:25:30 »
The APC-H4100E has those switches too.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 06:02:59 »
Thanks Chyros! :)

Yep, the APC-H410E, APC-H410EAU, and APC-H412 are nearly identical.

The first time I pulled a key cap on one of these boards I destroyed a key switch. I always start with a less useful key like F10, F11 or Pause/Break. At this point I will definitely have a spare parts board. So, I'll get some nice disassembly photos and offer spare switches for sale at some point.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 07:03:47 »

The first time I pulled a key cap on one of these boards I destroyed a key switch. I always start with a less useful key like F10, F11 or Pause/Break. At this point I will definitely have a spare parts board. So, I'll get some nice disassembly photos and offer spare switches for sale at some point.
Cool, I'll get some switches off you at that time :) .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 05:53:08 »

I have a broken APC-H4100E which looks the same too - same switches.

I need a spare switch or two (one has been kicked completely off and broken beyond repair by the keyboard's previous owner who was using it as a foot rest).

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 07:50:55 »
rowdy, I'll have some extras, just send me a PM and I'll put some in a padded mailer for you when the time comes.

I posted a link to all of the photos I took over on the DT version of this thread. I still have to sort through them to tell a nice story.

Chryos: The sliders are symmetrical at first glance, I'll confirm this more thoroughly and with photos ... eventually.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 16:26:36 »
Anyone still looking for blue ovals? There are two on eBay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371376161753
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311394174663

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:26:50 »
Anyone still looking for blue ovals? There are two on eBay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371376161753
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311394174663
****ing hell. The BIN one doesn't ship to the UK. The US needs to learn more international trading! :P

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 19:34:17 »
I can proxy if you want, or just sell you one of mine. Shoot me a PM.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 21:37:09 »
Mine now. More obscure clicky switches.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 12:43:15 »
Congrats. Don't be surprised when you get this board and discover that actuation happens *before* the click. Shoot me a PM if you need parts.