Author Topic: [IC] Timber Wolf, GB on 9/20  (Read 88307 times)

Offline VelourFog

Re: [IC] Timber Wolf, GB on 9/20
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 08:04:42 »
Just was reading the other users question about wanting a real loud board - do you think the lack of a plate can make it quieter assuming one is using quiet switches?  My rig is set up in a lofted part of my bedroom and quiet keyboards are essential to stave wife agro.

Offline Starius

« Reply #201 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 09:27:24 »
so yeah, it supports both

thanks for confirming! two more Qs:

-Do you have a full photo of a built prototype without the keycaps on? would be great to see.

-What is the colour on right? I am assuming the left is the smoke grey? The one on the right has this really nice deep green blueish hue, leaning more on the deep green end.
(Attachment Link)

I like that color too, just wanted to say.  :thumb:

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #202 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 10:06:23 »

thanks for confirming! two more Qs:

-Do you have a full photo of a built prototype without the keycaps on? would be great to see.

-What is the colour on right? I am assuming the left is the smoke grey? The one on the right has this really nice deep green blueish hue, leaning more on the deep green end.
(Attachment Link)

I like that color too, just wanted to say.  :thumb:

- I don't, but I'm planning to do a basic assembly video next weekend, so there'll be some shots there. fwiw, the pcb is all matte black on the front (right now i do have a silk screen on the front, but im removing that for the GB

- Yeah I like that color too, but 6 colors is already too much. my next GB tho, im getting a bit more creative with colors and i want to have something like that there. this GB i kinda wanted to just do standard stuff for colors

Just was reading the other users question about wanting a real loud board - do you think the lack of a plate can make it quieter assuming one is using quiet switches?  My rig is set up in a lofted part of my bedroom and quiet keyboards are essential to stave wife agro.

sort of. i think it would be more accurate to say that not having a plate won't make it more loud. i think if quietness is your goal, you can design a plated keyboard to be quieter than this one, so i wouldnt sell this as a quiet keyboard, but as long as it's well insulated from your desk (thick deskmats are a lifesaver here) it has relatively little resonance, which is the part of keeb sound that i dont like

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 10:11:27 »
tbh i dont think clickies are your best bet on this board. it doesnt support alps or box switches (the two best clicky types ive tried), so you'd be stuck with either mx blue-style switches, or frankenstotles. the latter ive heard good things about, but havent tried.

still, i do think blues get a bad rap (i mean i hate the click jacket noise & rattle, but the tactility is better than i remembered when i tried a new batch recently) so maybe you could make that work, but in general i wouldnt say this keeb is built for clickies, since i do think clicky switches benefit from a plate

you could still make it work, but id recommend focusing on keycaps for that. pbt mt3 in particular sounds amazing with clickies imo, its like black magic

That's a shame, but I don't mind using tactiles on this board. What other types of switches aren't compatible with the Timber's PCB? What about Zealios v2 (My plan B)?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 10:33:47 »
tbh i dont think clickies are your best bet on this board. it doesnt support alps or box switches (the two best clicky types ive tried), so you'd be stuck with either mx blue-style switches, or frankenstotles. the latter ive heard good things about, but havent tried.

still, i do think blues get a bad rap (i mean i hate the click jacket noise & rattle, but the tactility is better than i remembered when i tried a new batch recently) so maybe you could make that work, but in general i wouldnt say this keeb is built for clickies, since i do think clicky switches benefit from a plate

you could still make it work, but id recommend focusing on keycaps for that. pbt mt3 in particular sounds amazing with clickies imo, its like black magic

That's a shame, but I don't mind using tactiles on this board. What other types of switches aren't compatible with the Timber's PCB? What about Zealios v2 (My plan B)?

all pcb-mount switches are compatible, so yeah all zeal switches are pcb mount. pretty much all gat and cherry switches have a pcb mount option as well, T1s, everglides, most non-box kailhs...really, kailh box and holy pandas are the only big ones i can think of that arent compatible

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 23:17:39 »
all pcb-mount switches are compatible, so yeah all zeal switches are pcb mount. pretty much all gat and cherry switches have a pcb mount option as well, T1s, everglides, most non-box kailhs...really, kailh box and holy pandas are the only big ones i can think of that arent compatible

Thanks for saving me, my sorry ass didn't know box switches only have three legs/pins  :(

Edit: Also I hope it’s cool, I filled up the IC Form for TBR-B, but I might get the TBR-Prime instead.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2019, 00:15:23 by lush_bunny »

Offline Retrias

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 02:42:36 »
What would be the layout for the next board ?  Would love something like this but in an even bigger non conventional layout

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 23:37:53 »

Thanks for saving me, my sorry ass didn't know box switches only have three legs/pins  :(

Edit: Also I hope it’s cool, I filled up the IC Form for TBR-B, but I might get the TBR-Prime instead.

Yeah thats no problem i think a lot of people did that lol

What would be the layout for the next board ?  Would love something like this but in an even bigger non conventional layout

IC will be up before this GB goes live, but i'll say that it's bigger in one dimension but not the other

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 02:03:00 »
I have another dumb question: If you pick out a layout that has a knob, will the order include a rotary encoder? If not, where can we buy some which are compatible with the Timber Wolf?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 02:36:49 »
I have another dumb question: If you pick out a layout that has a knob, will the order include a rotary encoder? If not, where can we buy some which are compatible with the Timber Wolf?

Yeah that sort of info will be gone into detail in the GB post, but basic answer is that it will come with an encoder and knob; basically everything required to fully build except for switches and caps

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 05:40:13 »
Can I just ask if the case and the PCB support ISO layout?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 09:04:05 »
Can I just ask if the case and the PCB support ISO layout?

Yup, iso enter and split left shift

Offline mchaput

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 19:47:38 »
I want this board bad, but I'm an ultraNOOB who never learned to solder...

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 19:48:44 »

You can always do what I do and have someone else assemble it. Lots of people offer build services.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 21:05:07 »

Hell that's what I plan on doing.  I plan to buy extra PCB's just so I can give a go later.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 03:00:33 »

Hell that's what I plan on doing.  I plan to buy extra PCB's just so I can give a go later.

soldering's actually pretty easy :) especially through-hole, which will be all you have to worry about. if you're anxious about it, i recommend watching some youtube videos about it getting a practice kit (you can find them on amazon for super cheap, or get a practice60 on cannonkeys), it will help you get comfortable with it.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 14:26:14 »
soldering's actually pretty easy :) especially through-hole, which will be all you have to worry about. if you're anxious about it, i recommend watching some youtube videos about it getting a practice kit (you can find them on amazon for super cheap, or get a practice60 on cannonkeys), it will help you get comfortable with it.

Through-hole? Intriguing. So I don't know much about PCBs, but is that why the TBR PCB has none of that gold circuitry I see in other PCBs?

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 15:28:01 »
Are you still planning to release details on your second board before this group buy?

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 15:49:47 »

Through-hole? Intriguing. So I don't know much about PCBs, but is that why the TBR PCB has none of that gold circuitry I see in other PCBs?

I think he means "compared to soldering components on a side of the PCB where there's no hole", like this chip :

Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 03:21:52 »

I think he means "compared to soldering components on a side of the PCB where there's no hole", like this chip :

Show Image

yeah, there's plenty of SMD stuff, it's just all taken care of at the factory. so all the end user has to worry about is through hole (switches)

Are you still planning to release details on your second board before this group buy?

i am. doing renders right now. eh **** it i'll post a tease here

226412-0

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 03:42:08 »
yeah, there's plenty of SMD stuff, it's just all taken care of at the factory. so all the end user has to worry about is through hole (switches)

Okay whew.

(Attachment Link)

Looking pretty👌

Offline VXQN

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 06:09:43 »

(Attachment Link)

I'm spending a little too much this month to get in on the Timber Wolf but this preview looks excellent as I rarely use the function row but want some funky layout craziness in my life!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 06:11:15 by VXQN »

Offline goddream

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:03:06 »

Show Image

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

holy **** this is it chief
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:12:06 by goddream »
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:42:21 »
(Attachment Link)

Wait a minute did the side profile change?? Coz I think I'm digging it.

Edit: No F-Row, and vertical 2u bars on both sides... interesting. Do you really want all my money?  :))'

Edit 2: IS THAT A 65% + LEFT NUMPAD + KNOB?

Edit 3: I hope it's not too soon after the Timber Wolf  :-X
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 08:58:43 by lush_bunny »

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 08:21:26 »
Oh have mercy.  Appreciate you sharing the next idea before this GB, probably will just go with one in this GB now =)

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 11:28:23 »
(Attachment Link)

Wait a minute did the side profile change?? Coz I think I'm digging it.

Edit: No F-Row, and vertical 2u bars on both sides... interesting. Do you really want all my money?  :))'

Edit 2: IS THAT A 65% + LEFT NUMPAD + KNOB?

Edit 3: I hope it's not too soon after the Timber Wolf  :-X

still rendering for the IC, but important to make clear that this won't run until Timber Wolf GB is fulfilled Part of the reason I'm trying to put the IC out before the Timber Wolf GB is to like, get that out of the way so I can focus on the Timber Wolf for the entire GB period.

Offline ExtraSaltyBS

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 20:31:10 »
Are you planning to run this GB later with a bigger MOQ to reduce the price?

TKC1800 . DSA Ice Cream

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 20:53:01 »
Are you planning to run this GB later with a bigger MOQ to reduce the price?

Not OP, but believe he has stated running smaller MOQ as this is a first GB they have conducted.  He has already raised the total boards he was willing to sell from 20 to 40ish so I’d say we’re pretty lucky in that regard. 

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 21:06:53 »
It's already the 20th in my country but we're 15 hours advance of PST. I can't wait to get my hands on this board UGH.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 21:44:57 »
It's already the 20th in my country but we're 15 hours advance of PST. I can't wait to get my hands on this board UGH.

Yeah I’m going to be pretty sad if I miss out.   Kind of trying to design my own key set - specifically novelties around it.  https://m.imgur.com/a/CrnG1og

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 00:07:26 »
GB post is up

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102520.0

Doing final preparations for the GB now

Offline dibstern

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 07:07:02 »
Ooooh pretty. I’ll track this.

Offline Croktopus