Author Topic: [IC] BBA-60 - 60% keyboard (GB is live until april 10 !)  (Read 11972 times)

Offline suruq

[IC] BBA-60 - 60% keyboard (GB is live until april 10 !)
« on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 13:14:26 »
GB is live until April 10 !
You can grab your BBA-60 here :

https://forms.gle/zqMyFn8bfGFBegkZ9

BBA-60
Stacked accrylic and brass | Tray-mount 60% | WK - WKL - HHKB

What is this ?
Its a tray mount 60% keyboard made out of stacked accrylic and it also include brass layers as weight and inclinaison feet (5 degrees angle).

I originally made this keyboard at my local maker space and since I got good feedback I decided to make a "production" prototype with more features than the first one.
It turned out very good and all the pictures in this thread are real picture of this second prototype.

I'm very happy with the current design but external feedback is always good so here it is. you can find the IC form below to answer some basic questions and maybe share your  tough about this keyboard

IC form

IC Form Link

Specifications :

Case : Stacked accrylic (7 layers), Brass weight (3 layers, sand blasted and clear coated to prevent aging)
Mounting system : tray mount with case foam
Inclinaison angle :
Color : matte black
Case mass : about 1250g unbuilt (case + weight + plate/pcb)
Plate : FR4 1.6mm plate (color tbd)
PCB : Plain60 Flex edition, universal pcb compatible with most 60%
Layout : all layout are available using the same plate and PCB

Units : 100 total
Price : 175~200$ (+ shipping)
Vendor : TBD

What will be included in the kit :
- Accrylic case
- Brass weight
- 1x FR4 plate
- 1x Plain60 Flex edition
- 1x Case foam
- Screws and standoff for assembly
- Rubber feet
- TX-like case for storage or transport

More pictures :
Featuring GMK Night Runner and KAT Arctic

Typing Test :

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

What is the project timeline after this IC ?
The current design is fully ready for productions (I have quotes) so I plan to start the GB around late January unless there are some major changes to the design after the IC results.
Once the GB period will be complete I plan on delivering after 3 months.

Will there be delay due to the current PCB components shortage ?
No, I already have all the PCB in my possession so this will not cause any delay

What colours are available ?
One single colour available for now (matte black) but feel free to suggest alternatives colours in the IC Form and I'll consider the options if the demand is high enough.
Same goes for the weight material, brass is not the only option possible.

How many units are you planning to make ?
As stated above I will make no more than 100 units rather than doing an unlimited GB for human capabilities reasons. I don't have access to a warehouse so I don't think I can handle very large productions.

You mentioned WK WKL and HHKB support, how many units of each are available ?
The current prototype is WK but I will include 2 extra layers for HHKB and WKL layout in the base kit, so you will be able to choose or switch between the options at any time.

What will be the GB format ?
The GB will be FCFS (First Come First Served). I don't have proxies for now but if most of the potential buyers lives far from me I can contact them to work something out (I'm living in EU).

What about a Founder Edition ?
I can make a full brass version of this board (that would weigh a whopping 3kg unbuilt) if the demand is high enough but it would be a very limited run.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2022, 06:36:12 by suruq »

Offline suruq

Re: [IC] BBA-60 - 60% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 13:17:23 »
Reserved  :)

Offline AASH

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 13:25:22 »
Hey, do you plan on including an image of the internals/ mounting?
40s, with love

Offline nick779

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 08:19:11 »
It's interesting, but I think it would be so much more desirable as a sandwich mount. Should be pretty easy to convert too.

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 09:51:36 »
Super interested in this board, especially the FE!

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 17:49:09 »
The front corners on the underside of the brass weight look quite sharp. Feels like the sort of thing that might tear my deskmat if I pull the keyboard closer to me. Any chance they could be a bit more rounded, like the rear corners?

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 18:06:21 »
$200 for a stacked FR4 tray mount 60? I appreciate the fact that you did this right by making a prototype and a well thought out IC but this is just awful value. A full aluminium Bakeneko that's gummy o-ring mounted is $130 on CK, it outclasses this in every way imaginable and it's readily available as well.

Offline suruq

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 07:13:24 »
It's interesting, but I think it would be so much more desirable as a sandwich mount. Should be pretty easy to convert too.

I considered making it sandwich mount but since the fr4 plate is only 1.5mm thick while the acrylic layers are 3mm thick it would look odd and there also might be some color mismatch between the fr4 black and the acrylic black

Super interested in this board, especially the FE!

Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback

The front corners on the underside of the brass weight look quite sharp. Feels like the sort of thing that might tear my deskmat if I pull the keyboard closer to me. Any chance they could be a bit more rounded, like the rear corners?

The bottom rubber feet are a bit thicker than the brass layer so the edges are not touching the deskmat. I didn't had any issue with that while using the prototype.
However you made a good point here and I'll ask if its possible to at least deburr the edges or maybe add a small chamfer.

$200 for a stacked FR4 tray mount 60? I appreciate the fact that you did this right by making a prototype and a well thought out IC but this is just awful value. A full aluminium Bakeneko that's gummy o-ring mounted is $130 on CK, it outclasses this in every way imaginable and it's readily available as well.

Those are two different board so if you think the bakaneko suits your needs better feel free to buy a bakaneko and skip my GB.

Offline chat and team

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 04:50:53 »
this is horrid.
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline suruq

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 07:52:21 »
Hello, first of all, thanks to all the people that enjoyed this IC and answered the form !

Next are two announcements :

- The carrying case coming with the keyboard will be a Monokei Kaban case in the titan grey color (it can be use to carry any 60% or 65% keyboards)
- The GB will be launch mid February and I will post about the exact date as well as all details about the GB format shortly.

Thanks again for all your support and feel free to fill the form before the GB launch, every feedback is precious.

Offline suruq

Re: [IC] BBA-60 - 60% keyboard (GB is live until april 10)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 06:35:50 »
The GB is live and will run until April 10 !
You can get your BBA-60 here :

https://forms.gle/zqMyFn8bfGFBegkZ9