Author Topic: The Array Wrist Rest NEW IMPORRTRANT UPDATES TOMORROW.  (Read 6336 times)

Offline awry

• The Discerning Hobbyist
The Array Wrist Rest NEW IMPORRTRANT UPDATES TOMORROW.
« on: Mon, 24 April 2023, 09:25:45 »
Sincerely apologies for the long delay to all of the five beautiful human beings that have been waiting for this update. Personal matters, work, etc etc. But at least I have had about a week to try both V1s and have noted quite a number of things that need change that couldn't be seen from photos. Hopefully what i will be asking for won't cost more of my soul to accomplish (yes, i know i'm being dramatic). Some quick points to highlight here;

1. There are a lot more TKL users than i expected.
2. Height of rest needs to be lower.
3. Frosted acrylic is a pretty nice material.
4. It is also very light. (500g for those curious)
5. Magnets need to change.
6. Machining in some areas needs to be BETTARRr!
7. Feet might change from bumpons to the long stringy kind if I can find transparent ones. Will add much needed friction and, more importantly, in my head looks better for the non-opaque materials.
8. Name of keycap model will be changing. Scatterbrained dodo bird that I am, I forgot it's the same name as the gorgeous keeb I have been waiting since last year for the groupbuy to launch. Gok Sir, if you happen to see this, please gib keeb already... =[

I hereby conclude the end of the first IC. Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to read this and write a feedback. I have read all 3 sentences multiple times and have taken them to heart. Prototype V2 will be here by the 15th followed soon by the second IC which will only run a week or less. Targeting to start the groupbuy on the 22nd, ending that end of the month and then start production first week of June. Might seem very rushed but I really want a smaller rest for myself.

I'm not sure what happens to ICs that have gone past their lifespans nowadays but I hope the mods reading this lets this post be up a little longer as a reference or for information. I did not post a IC anywhere else because I'm a rogophobic lazy bum with a severe case of question reluctance. Thank you kindly for your graciousness.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Changelog details will be in comments together with new photos etc. Just scroll and look out for my badly taken pictures. Should be it.

IC 1 Form: CLOSED.

Hi Everyone! My name is Terence Chia Yi. An old keeb enthusiast whom after around (at a certain point I decided to not look at the yearly date anymore) an eleven-year hiatus from the hobby, went slightly mad last October and decided to return to this slippery slope. I will cut to the chase for this first post which is currently a to-do item that has grown into a rather large buzzing earworm at the back of my head.

This IC is for The Array; A customizable, in more ways for a group-buy item than most things I have come across since October, wrist rest tray.

The name “ARRAY” is derived from ARtisan tRAY. Also, personally, the definition of the word also embodies perfectly the soul and purpose of what The Array is meant for.

The Array is inspired by one of the newly purchased products that I have grown to love very much, made by small team of Korean friends who call themselves 4GT. I first got the aluminium by sheer luck, before I even knew who they were and was floored by how well-made it was. Now I own the wooden one as well.

This project is part homage and partly hoping to complement the 4GT tray by adding another two popular keyboard sizes (60% and 65%). Maybe a small amount of TKL but that will depend on the IC here. Though I would rather do that for R2 if this does get to that stage. I've made some tweaks to the design, admittedly selfishly, to better suit my own needs for a rest. These will be elaborated after the prototype photos below.

The Array will currently be available in 6061-T6 Aluminium and Acrylic (The Array Lite). Polycarbonate sample block is currently being machined into the Prototype V2 which will be closer to what I had in mind like in the final render.
PC is not going to be an option until the first PC prototype is deemed passable in the material.

There will be two models, Type K and Type C, for each material to serve different user needs. Features for each are stated below;

The Array: Type K(eycap)
The Type K has slots for artisan keycaps with an acrylic lid. The lid is held in place with a magnetic badge on the left (think Space65). 65% Arrays come with 12 slots.

The Array: Type C(ompartment)
The Type C has no slots for artisans. This variant is for the peeps that properly value their money and do not collect keycaps. The space can be used for pens, keycap pullers etc. The rest of it is the same as the Type K above.

Both Type K and Type C of The Array Lite comes with "lifting points" instead of badges to hold the lid.
Photos for this prototype will be in the next update within the next two days. Along with spec sheets which are already done but I am old and tired.

Current finishing is only anodization (more than one colour will be available) for the aluminium variants. Cerakote options might be available at launch.

Final render for The Array

The design tweaks that have been made for The Array are mainly the cut-out lips at each side to better lift the rest for cleaning the desktop etc. The 4GT one is about 1.4kg and I found myself having trouble lifting it comfortably whenever the need arises.
The Array, though lighter, is already 1.2kg for the 65% Type K model with no items inside. 

The Array Prototype V1.0

The other main design feature of the Array is the use of a magnetic badge to secure the lid in place. The 4GT rest was so beautifully machined that I cannot squeeze a fingernail in-between, and under, the body and acrylic lid to remove the lid. They provide a tiny plunger for this very reason. This change makes this easier and overall is more holistic as a singular item.

Round One options that buyers will be able to customize are as follows;
Array Type.
Ano colour for the badge.
Ano colour for the case.
Additional badges. (Price TBD)
Engraving for badge or/and case. (TBD but should be 7 to 15usd depending on size etc)

Targeted price, not including shipping, is 100-120usd for The Array and of course lower for The Array Lite.
Lead time for an order of ≈70 pieces will take 4-6 months (I can only give a more accurate frame after seeing, hopefully, some IC forrms becase of all the customization options)
No MOQ but soft cap (Number will be more accurate for the same said reasons above).

Any queries etc, please feel free to reach me at my revived from the dead Instagram @the.discerning.hobbyist or my email knotnuffspace@gmail.com.
Not discord for now coz it’s not boomer friendly.

Thank all of you for your precious time reading about this project. Take care!
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2023, 14:18:56 by awry »
World’s Biggest Nerd and Star Wars Fan.

You can reach me here: knotnuffspace@gmail.com or @the.discerning.hobbyist on Instagram.

Old Sig below from before the 10 years hiatus and still relevant today:

It may take me one day, it may take me one week, It may take me a whole year if it slips my mind by chance, but I ALWAYS reply all my messages. Just please be patient. My work can get very busy at times. Drop me a reminder if it takes too long. Thanks guys.

Offline awry

Re: The Array Wrist Rest (Version: Proto 1.0//Last Updated 260423)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 05:48:41 »
Updated on 270423: 
- IC Form Description filled in.
- Added photos of first test of badge.
- Added photos of first ano test
- Added photo of palette of possible choices to shortlist.

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 April 2023, 00:53:58 by awry »

You can reach me here: knotnuffspace@gmail.com or @the.discerning.hobbyist on Instagram.

It may take me one day, it may take me one week, It may take me a whole year if it slips my mind by chance, but I ALWAYS reply all my messages. Just please be patient. My work can get very busy at times. Drop me a reminder if it takes too long. Thanks guys.

Offline awry

Re: The Array Wrist Rest (Proto 1.0) Last Updated:270423
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 April 2023, 15:18:23 »
Updated on 28th:
- Renders added for changes to lip depths and design
- Array Lite will not have lifting lips as there is no need to. Cleaner. See-through material makes bottom lip obvious. Messy.

Offline awry

Re: The Array Wrist Rest (Proto 1.0) Last Updated:100523
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:35:06 »
100523 Update 1:
V2 in PC. Lifting lip closer to what I had in mind. Height seems to have changed in the wrong direction. Was told weight currently at 500g. Will check again a week from now. Might need to plan diet routine.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:51:01 by awry »

Offline awry

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:37:08 »
100523 Update 2:
Testing fit of lid for V1 with different keycap heights. Very upset Finger cannot fit. Life sucks. Might scrape project.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:50:47 by awry »

Offline awry

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:39:43 »
100523 Update 3:
More ano colours from first option. Personal bongo tray is nice. Am happy. Life is wonderful again.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:51:48 by awry »

Offline awry

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:48:42 »
100523 Update 4:
Ano pics from second manu option. Tempted to make second bongo tray in red. More keycaps needed first. Can feel wallet starting to sweat. Not good.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:50:33 by awry »

Offline awry

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:50:16 »
100523 Update 5:
Amateurish basic spec sheet for the ones nerdier than me.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:50:18 by awry »

Offline awry

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:55:47 »
100523 Update 5:
Photos for the unfortunate unimaginative ones. First two pics of 4GT rests. Had to borrow illegal vaporiser device from a friend to add realism for third photo. I risk too much for this hobby.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:49:42 by awry »

Offline hippiepete

I’m invested in your work.

I won’t be purchasing one because I have yet to try a wrist rest before splurging on an aluminum plastic keycap holder to lay my sweaty greasy wrists upon.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phoenixrage

Definitely interested.

Offline awry

Oh wow, guys. i'm so sorry. I did not see these replies. I have been having some health problems, the people who know know, but i do have V2 already in hand last month. This project is ONGOING and WILL be done.

Offline awry

Expect PC and likely an upgrade to 6063 Alu depending on discussions.

Offline awry

Re: The Array Wrist Rest NEW IMPORRTRANT UPDATES TOMORROW.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 14:19:44 »
Bumping this so that hopefully people interested or following this will look at the new title.

Offline awry

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 14:29:35 »
I’m invested in your work.

I won’t be purchasing one because I have yet to try a wrist rest before splurging on an aluminum plastic keycap holder to lay my sweaty greasy wrists upon.

Keep up the good work

I'm not sure if this is how to reply someone. But so far the people whom I have told my targeted price point have not used the words high or expensive yet. I've heard either "that's super cheap" or " cheap". drop me a PM on my insta link. Easier to reach me there. I'll let you know what my targeted price target is.for the Alu ones which will be cheaper than the PC ones (yes, alu can be cheaper than pc. i wish i could do this in PEEK or Ultem but those are VERY expensive not just the raw but the worrk. To put in perspective, Ultem costs more than SS.And thank you for the encouragement. I really needed that at this point in time.

There is NOT going to be any acrylic versions. At least not from me. Take what you guys will of this statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 23:45:32 »
wait, so are these being sold now and we need to e mail you? or is there going to be a batch sale off a site?

Offline awry

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 11:55:27 »
Hi! This was the first interest check. It's just that i paid for prototypes before doing an IC. TBH, i had wanted to only do the two missing (60%, 65% and i'm SO tempted to do a billet of Copper 65% one) for myself as I own a couple of the 4GT (Big big fan of the quartet and just about all they've done that I know of so far since I returned to this hobby) TKL sizes already. i remember logistics being a nightmare from personal experience.

I had wanted to start the Pre-order/Group buy at the beginning of this month but I've had some health issues (disbelievers can go ahead and PM me for proof, lol) and also now will be changing manufacturer (process and discussions etc already been started couple weeks ago) because of certain.... issues. Not a totally bad thing to happen as material options will be better now amongst other things. Just horrible timing and reasons.

I was suppose to do an update a day or two before this reply but decided to wait until today's specialist appointment was finished. Any of the possibly 3 people who were watching this thread, apologies for the wait. It will be done (mainly pics of the PC and updates etc) once i'm done with work at 4pm EST/ 1pm PST/ Don't-care-about CST (3pm)/ 4am SGT.

To @phoenixrage, don't worry about ordering etc. I will post pretty much where I should (I'll ask friends if I missed out anywhere) when the GB is running. I only posted here for IC #1 as i was afraid of missing messages etc as i'm a serious boomer and sometimes still feel a little out of touch with keebs. i will personally drop you a PM here as well, in case. Word (I think I used this wrongly but whatever).

Anyone curious about anything or have any questions, please do not be shy but I suggest reaching out on IG (@the.discerning.hobbyist) or my email (knotnuffspace@gmail.com) instead of here as sending pics etc if needed is less troublesome (I still <3 you, Geekhack) and i browse/access those more than here for now. Thanks!

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 00:16:11 »
Thanks for the update, hope you feel better soon!