Author Topic: Trackpoint Sources  (Read 5464 times)

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« on: Tue, 08 July 2008, 10:43:40 »
Any ideas where to get a trackpoint? I know about the Thinkpad replacement keyboards, are there any other sources beside an M13?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 July 2008, 14:02:52 »
M13's probably the best bet, but, if you feel like making your own control logic, the early IBM ScrollPoint mice used a TrackPoint as a 4-way scrolling device.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 July 2008, 14:39:31 »
but, if you feel like making your own control logic

No, I can't. It must be somewhat plug and play like the Thinkpad unit. Thanks for the tip with the mouse though, that was exactly the direction my question aimed at.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 August 2008, 06:27:57 »
Got an IBM Trackpoint IV from ebay. Haven't opened it yet. Quite heavy for a rubber dome board.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 August 2008, 16:20:18 »
The trackpoint runs fine when connected to a ps/2 mouse port but when I use a simple ps/2 to usb converter cable it will not be recognized. Computer says unknown device. Any ideas?

Oh, and I opened the keyboard: the stress unit, the trackpoint pcb, the keyboard pcb and the mouse switches - everything is separate. Perfect!

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 August 2008, 16:49:48 »
sofa king: Interesting, I know the TrackPoint IV has special drivers, and maybe it's not working over USB, because (IIRC) all TP4s connect over PS/2.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:54:04 »
Thanks for the tip with the driver. I didn't have to install anything so it probably comes with XP. But maybe there is something newer around, I'll have a look.

Do you have a ps/2 to usb adapter? If yes, could you please make a test with your M13 and your Endurapro?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 August 2008, 14:55:27 »
My EnduraPro is native USB (and besides, Unicomp's pointing sticks aren't real TrackPoints,) and my M13 has a TrackPoint II, so it's not really relevant

(Interestingly, though, the M13's TrackPoint only worked on one of my USB adapters.)

And, yes, there is a barebones TrackPoint IV driver included with Windows.

Anyway, I just realized, there WAS a keyboard with a TrackPoint IV, that connected over USB. Try this driver: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-60649.html

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 11:01:27 »
Thanks for the driver, I think it was a touchpad driver though. I found a similar one called tp4usb142.exe. Still doesn't work. Maybe it's the same problem with Model Ms needing those active converters. Maybe I should get one of those. Or maybe I'll go the ps/2 route, depends a bit on the Cherry G80 I just ordered. Even then I'd prefer having a usb option.

Edit: Which was the adapter type/brand your M13 trackpoint worked with?

Edit 2: Got it now, UltraNav = touchpad + trackpoint. Didn't work either though.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 20:43:11 »
The adapter that my M13 worked with was a Bytecc BT-2000.

It did not work with my Belkin F5U119vE1, however. (The keyboard worked, the TrackPoint didn't.)

I'm going to guess that this thing is extremely picky, and may need to have a second +5VDC power source spliced in from somewhere. Actually, something you might try, to see if it is that (the Model M13 runs both the TrackPoint and keyboard off of the same power - I can plug just the TP2 in, and the keyboard lights up) is plug the keyboard into PS/2, but the TrackPoint into USB. Or, even, plug them into separate USB adapters.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:16:53 »
Thanks for the link, these are actually available here on ebay (unlike the clickykeyboards version). I'll get one and try for myself.

The circuits on my rubberdome IBM are completely separate. I already took the trackpoint out.

Offline lowpoly

Trackpoint Sources
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 05:16:02 »
The adapter that my M13 worked with was a Bytecc BT-2000

Got one of these and it works! Thank you!