Author Topic: 4k monitor recommendation  (Read 5392 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
4k monitor recommendation
« on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 18:47:57 »
So I have been debating about getting a new monitor as I have had the same 23" 1080p IPS monitor for the past 7 years and I have wanted something larger and higher quality for screen real estate.

My main issues is I haven't followed monitors or what is out there since I got mine way back in 2011. I have been looking but most 27" 4k monitors are $300 at the minimum for something quality and skyrocket from there. I found the LG 27UD58-B and it has really good reviews(sadly the price just went up $50 today :() and was wondering if there was something better or somewhere to get it cheaper if not.

Mainly want 4k in 27in or 28in and must be IPS, I sit close enough that 4k is noticeably better than 1440p(I can clearly see pixels on my current monitor...). Also prefer matte black monitors but if gloss I will deal with it or maybe even wrap it like my current one is.

Any constructive help is appreciated.

EDIT: Also just found this(LG 27UD69P-W) which seems to be the white version of the 27UD68P-B(Or at least very similar) I can deal with the white as it is bezel-less which I like(current is bezel-less). Any opinions on this? I would probably do something about the white(maybe plastidip or wrap depending on which is better suited).
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2018, 18:53:47 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline gjkrisa

Re: 4k monitor recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 18:57:59 »
I haven't owned a monitor in a loooong time generally I use a TV if I need something bigger or just quick to hook up since my htpc I can manage using remote access most the time.
But this video seems to have some pretty good recommendation for a good monitor. That isn't over priced unless you don't do any gaming at all I typically will recommend a Dell refurb or apple refurb monitor for the best looking monitors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 19:16:28 »
I haven't owned a monitor in a loooong time generally I use a TV if I need something bigger or just quick to hook up since my htpc I can manage using remote access most the time.
But this video seems to have some pretty good recommendation for a good monitor. That isn't over priced unless you don't do any gaming at all I typically will recommend a Dell refurb or apple refurb monitor for the best looking monitors.

I never game honestly, I use the computer for work(solidworks and KiCAD mostly), and entertainment, but I also spend a lot of time reading text so having clearer text is important.

I had seen that video before(I have been subd to LTT for years prior to the current monitor purchase) but everytime he does a monitor review it is about gaming, never workflow which kinda sucks...but from the distance measurements I have done and researched(including the video) I am well within the 4k benefit zone(1440p is better than what I currently have but increasing the monitor size nearly negates the resolution increase).

As for refurbs what specific ones? I don't usually go the refurb route but it would need to be a compelling difference in price and wants to do so.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 23:20:36 »
If you're just looking for a deal I would say that you should keep an eye out for something good that ticks all the boxes on slickdeals.net

I'm considering buying a 40/43" TV as my next monitor but that might be a bit big. I'd aim to pay around $300 or so for a 32" 4k monitor

Offline gjkrisa

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2018, 05:06:38 by gjkrisa »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 03:56:02 »
You are faced with the same problem I was recently, you want higher res but not massive and preferably not insanely priced.
The problem is they only recently really started increasing resolution on smaller screen sizes so there isn't much in terms of refurbs or used yet.

I ended up with a pair of these (25in), however they also make a 27in model. You can get them on Amazon as well.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/503678/ultrasharp-u2518dx-25-wqhd-60hz-hdmi-dp-hdr-led-monitor

The difference between these and my old monitors(which were really tired) is amazing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 08:26:24 »
At Desk-range, ~2-3 feet distance away,  you can only get up to 32 inch really..  Ultrawide, you can do 49 inch No problem..

It is not optimal to pursue IPS, because of its poor contrast ratio.. Super Expensive IPS with local dimming is prettty good.. But even then, they don't quite measure up to the Contrast ratio of $200 VA panels.

Through the years, people are finally realizing that Contrast ratio is what makes an image LOOK GOOD. The bulk of Samsung's top end TVs are VA for a reason..

IPS only has a sliver of advantage for photo work because it doesn't have the contrast/brightness drift at angles.

For every other reason you would use a computer monitor, VA is superior.. movies/ games/ general computing/ programming etc..

IPS in the $200-300 range will only have at best ~900ish : 1  TRUE contrast ratio..

Even the cheapest VA (TV) panels $200-300, can have Massive 2000-4000 :1 contrast ratio..

Look at an image on your OLED phone if you have one,  compare it to one on your monitor,  the INKY blackness , that's the critical component to an Image looking good..

To some extent,  Resolution isn't even important until you get to 50 inch screens..

The other area is CALIBRATION..  You have to have it..   Precalibrated monitors are only accurate for ~500-1000 hours.. After that, the factory calibration is worthless,  and it quickly turns into a crap monitor,  no matter how much the initial cost..

After using the i1Dpro for a week,  I can no longer in good conscience recommend the Spyder 5 probe..   It's just not as good and causes poor dark tone balance..  critical to good contrast performance tuning..

In summary..

UNLESS you do photoshop , and have a workflow that involves printing, you want to get a VA-panel instead of IPS..

Then the stretch, Go on an ALL RAMEN savings diet if you have to,  get an i1Display or Colormunki colorimeter probe..

Think about the value of a colorimeter this way..

If you buy a $500 monitor.. it will only look like a $500 monitor for ~1000 hours, after that, it quickly deteriorates to p00p..

If you buy a colorimeter probe, that $500 will look like a $500 for nearly the entire duration of its lifespan, at least 15,000-20,000 hours ..   Depending on when it drops below the brightness threshold for your room lighting.

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 08:41:43 »
Nice bit of info!
So what va monitor do you recommend in that size?
At Desk-range, ~2-3 feet distance away,  you can only get up to 32 inch really..  Ultrawide, you can do 49 inch No problem..

It is not optimal to pursue IPS, because of its poor contrast ratio.. Super Expensive IPS with local dimming is prettty good.. But even then, they don't quite measure up to the Contrast ratio of $200 VA panels.

Through the years, people are finally realizing that Contrast ratio is what makes an image LOOK GOOD. The bulk of Samsung's top end TVs are VA for a reason..

IPS only has a sliver of advantage for photo work because it doesn't have the contrast/brightness drift at angles.

For every other reason you would use a computer monitor, VA is superior.. movies/ games/ general computing/ programming etc..

IPS in the $200-300 range will only have at best ~900ish : 1  TRUE contrast ratio..

Even the cheapest VA (TV) panels $200-300, can have Massive 2000-4000 :1 contrast ratio..

Look at an image on your OLED phone if you have one,  compare it to one on your monitor,  the INKY blackness , that's the critical component to an Image looking good..

To some extent,  Resolution isn't even important until you get to 50 inch screens..

The other area is CALIBRATION..  You have to have it..   Precalibrated monitors are only accurate for ~500-1000 hours.. After that, the factory calibration is worthless,  and it quickly turns into a crap monitor,  no matter how much the initial cost..

After using the i1Dpro for a week,  I can no longer in good conscience recommend the Spyder 5 probe..   It's just not as good and causes poor dark tone balance..  critical to good contrast performance tuning..

In summary..

UNLESS you do photoshop , and have a workflow that involves printing, you want to get a VA-panel instead of IPS..

Then the stretch, Go on an ALL RAMEN savings diet if you have to,  get an i1Display or Colormunki colorimeter probe..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 08:45:17 »
Nice bit of info!
So what va monitor do you recommend in that size?

Whatever you can afford.. Nearly all VA monitors have significantly higher contrast ratio than IPS or TN..

Look for at least 2000:1 contrast ratio is a good place to start..

If you're willing to put your desk in the middle of the room instead of against the wall, you can go up to a 43 inch tv like the TCL s405 or 5xx series,  viewed at ~ 1.3 meters.. They have ~4000-5000:1 contrast ratio, and they're only $250-300

If you want gaming, this gets more expensive, but look for something with ~400cd brightness, and has at least 120hz refresh, and has ulmb or motion blur reduction (freesync version).. 

The 400cd for gaming monitor is important, because when the ulmb/blur reduction is turned on, that cuts max brightness in half..

You only need ~100cd,  but over time, as the monitor ages, it's going to drop from the initial 200.

Contingent upon you also buying a calibration Probe..  it's like a mechanical keyboard, you have to have one..

Once you get one, you'll realize, OMG, I can't believe I lived life without it.. 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 10:47:51 »
The main reason I want IPS is viewing angle and no drift across the display(at least not one that is noticeable to the eye), So VA is out(TN wasn't even a consideration). I am not willing to give the viewing angle and drift up so IPS is the only logical panel option(even if contrast isn't nearly as good, I am not looking for perfect color reproduction here as most of what I do is detail based with no consideration to colors).

Resolution does matter when you are closer to a monitor, hell a 49" 4k looks like **** from normal desk distances(20in to 30in) but great from further away(less pixel density compared to my 23in 1080p monitor). And as I said earlier I can't fit anything larger than a 27" at the moment and can't move my desk of the wall or I won't be able to move around the room.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 11:04:49 »
The main reason I want IPS is viewing angle and no drift across the display(at least not one that is noticeable to the eye), So VA is out(TN wasn't even a consideration). I am not willing to give the viewing angle and drift up so IPS is the only logical panel option(even if contrast isn't nearly as good, I am not looking for perfect color reproduction here as most of what I do is detail based with no consideration to colors).

Resolution does matter when you are closer to a monitor, hell a 49" 4k looks like **** from normal desk distances(20in to 30in) but great from further away(less pixel density compared to my 23in 1080p monitor). And as I said earlier I can't fit anything larger than a 27" at the moment and can't move my desk of the wall or I won't be able to move around the room.

Your evaluation of what's good is too basic.

More pixel density is Objectively better, but not Subjectively better.

And Drift, on VA, even with drift, that drifted section of the panel still outperforms a non-drifted IPS section.

The real improvement behind the new 4K movement isn't the 4K, it's HDR and the subsequent higher Contrast ratio requirement.

The 4K resolution is just easier to sell and advertise, because it's a concrete number people can latch onto like Gigahertz.

But, what's happening when we're actually looking at something.

The brain is very good at processing out NOISE.  It does this by looking for CONTRAST in search for EDGES to perceive GEOMETRY.

VA panels w/ extremely superior contrast AND the new HDR color space BOTH greatly enhance what the Brain is actually seeking.

RESOLUTION beyond 2k at  2-3 feet doesn't do nearly as much to improve subjective experience, because the brain's visual cortex is already doing powerful De-noise processing which glosses over the very slight aliasing.

When you take an image, and LOOK at it.. The resolution is not critical beyond ~ 2k .

This is why the Original bluray spec was 1920x1080.  Because that is close to the 2K digital intermediaries used in most mastering processes. WHICH was again, predetermined to be ENOUGH for all human viewing experience.

IPS does not produce a good subjective image, because the black point is extremely high. All blacks look blue-ish grey, whereas VA blacks, for the most part actually look black..  Edges and Geometry are far better defined on VA, improving the image quality, ontop of also reducing the load on the brain's visual cortex...

The difference in your experience with these panels, is the result of poor calibration or lack of any calibration. Cases where because IPS at least has better uniformity, it looks slightly better than most out of the box VA and TNs.

WITH calibration,  IPS only looks slightly more saturated vs TN.   It's only superior in Image work where edge uniformity matters.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 12:11:28 »
Okay so do you have an actual recommendation for a specific monitor? I am open to suggestions if it is good(or better) Honestly want to spend around $300 to $350(with tax and shipping included). I may be willing to go up to 32in but I would have to think about it as my desk isn't really wide enough to accomadate it as it is configured(but I can fit it if I really wanted). So prefer 27/28 (still 4k because I don't feel like spending the money for the same resolution just because that is your opinion, and yes it is your opinion TP).

If you don't have actual suggestions then your statements are not related to what I was asking at all and therefore off topic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 12:36:55 »
Okay so do you have an actual recommendation for a specific monitor? I am open to suggestions if it is good(or better) Honestly want to spend around $300 to $350(with tax and shipping included). I may be willing to go up to 32in but I would have to think about it as my desk isn't really wide enough to accomadate it as it is configured(but I can fit it if I really wanted). So prefer 27/28 (still 4k because I don't feel like spending the money for the same resolution just because that is your opinion, and yes it is your opinion TP).

If you don't have actual suggestions then your statements are not related to what I was asking at all and therefore off topic.

I am here to educate and snicker @ your shallow comprehension of the Video Experience. :D

My recommendation is VA panel, near 2000:1 contrast ratio, at whatever size that goes on your desk.

You also must purchase a Calibration probe, without which, the discussion of panel attributes become meaningless..

I recommend the Xrite colormunki display, ~$100-150 on sale..

IN FACT,  the probe is more important than getting a new monitor.. Odds are, your current monitor WITH calibration is pretty close to what you'd be buying NEW (Without Calibration)..

The difference IS that large.

So, if you got the Colorimeter FIRST,  then perhaps you won't even need to buy a new monitor.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 12:59:35 »
I am here to educate and snicker @ your shallow comprehension of the Video Experience. :D

IN FACT,  the probe is more important than getting a new monitor..

False you are just here to force your opinion, you are TP4, that is what you are infamous for.

It is not possible for my 23" 1080p monitor to magically become a 27" 4k monitor with just calibration...I think you fail to understand that, if you don't have an actual MONITOR recommendation, then please leave. I did not title this thread "4k monitor recommendation" to get calibration advice for a 1080p monitor.

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:02:25 »
Well sorry I don't have any real recommendation other then the other two and I'm actually surprised how easily Amazon spit out some decent looking monitors typically I'd go for Samsung Dell ultrasharp or an LG but the Spectra seems worth a Amazon trial
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073X6G4DZ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_F0SbCbGF170PS

As long as your not one of the people that receives a bad one.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:12:42 »
Well sorry I don't have any real recommendation other then the other two and I'm actually surprised how easily Amazon spit out some decent looking monitors typically I'd go for Samsung Dell ultrasharp or an LG but the Spectra seems worth a Amazon trial

You are good, I was directing that at TP not you.

I was looking at getting a Dell but they cost much more than I was wanting to pay, hence the LG.

I saw the Spectra review on LTT but the most common issue is dead/stuck pixels and a fair amount of them(seeing as they use b-stock samsung panels) and that is what turned me away from that, I don't want to gamble with how many dead/stuck pixels it will have.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:15:46 »

IN FACT,  the probe is more important than getting a new monitor..

False you are just here to force your opinion, you are TP4, that is what you are infamous for.

It is not possible for my 23" 1080p monitor to magically become a 27" 4k monitor with just calibration...I think you fail to understand that, if you don't have an actual MONITOR recommendation, then please leave. I did not title this thread "4k monitor recommendation" to get calibration advice for a 1080p monitor.

Hahaha.. That is incorrect..

A calibrated 1080p monitor will typically produce a better image than an uncalibrated 4k monitor.

Not an opinion, it's a fact.

You're attempting to dissuade yourself of something you've never even seen or compared for yourself..

This hostility is the mask you wear atop your own Ignorance..

That's unnecessary.. as Tp4 is here to Unite all under 1 Calibration..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:21:10 »

Don't worry gjkrisa ,  -BlindAssassin111 is having one of those lowly nerd rages..

He's really only mad at himself.. for knowing so little about monitors..

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:24:25 »
Well I would actually say a calibrated screen generally isn't that important if you don't need the colors to be super accurate but making a cheap monitor look lots better is a good calibration.

Don't worry gjkrisa ,  -BlindAssassin111 is having one of those lowly nerd rages..

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:29:46 »

Fixed your font size to equal your opinions weight, as you can see(well not really :P) it isn't much.

I honestly don't think you are witty or funny with your responses, I am looking for actual recommendations but you would rather insult me than be constructive. Please see your way out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:31:26 »
Well I would actually say a calibrated screen generally isn't that important if you don't need the colors to be super accurate but making a cheap monitor look lots better is a good calibration.

SO it has unfolded as follows..

BlindAssassin111 asks about 4k monitor

Tp4 imparts knowledge about the influence of resolution/ calibration/ viewing distance / subjective experience.

BlindAssassin reads this as critic of his _desire to buy a new monitor_..

Nothing Tp4 has said fundamentally conflicts with what BlindAssassin is doing..

Tp4 is merely setting the record straight on what monitor attribute does what..

And here we are.. now BlindAssassin is putting Tp4 on his Assassinate list,  because he doesn't like the fact that his understanding of a better monitor doesn't align with the facts on better monitors.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:34:40 »

Fixed your font size to equal your opinions weight, as you can see(well not really :P) it isn't much.

I honestly don't think you are witty or funny with your responses, I am looking for actual recommendations but you would rather insult me than be constructive. Please see your way out.

I have not insulted you..

You've remained opposed to the truth that your current understanding of Monitors will not guide you to a better video-experience.

I've remained firm on what it is you are misunderstanding..

You've taken to personal attacks to make up for your inability to defend your position.

That is to say, You're being a child, and you claim I've reduced you to such behavior.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:42:11 »

And here we are.. now BlindAssassin is putting Tp4 on his Assassinate list,  because he doesn't like the fact that his understanding of a better monitor doesn't align with the facts.[/color][/size]

Not really, I will put this in keyboard terms to make it more obvious as to what you are doing.

I want a new keyboard, prefer fullsize with zealios(or other high dollar switch), but currently have an outemu switch tkl, ask for recommendations. TP4 comes out and says "Why don't you get a different spring weight for your switches? It will help with the experience more."

See how this is unrelated? I do and would rather get an actual monitor recommendation(like brand and model number) than be told to spend money on a calibration device to do something I don't care nearly as much about. I want screen real estate and higher resolution, not perfect color representation but also don't want to have a picture that drifts too much, having never knowingly seen a VA panel, only IPS, VA and OLEDs, I can't comment on how good they actually are.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:45:31 »

And here we are.. now BlindAssassin is putting Tp4 on his Assassinate list,  because he doesn't like the fact that his understanding of a better monitor doesn't align with the facts.[/color][/size]

See how this is unrelated? I do and would rather get an actual monitor recommendation(like brand and model number) than be told to spend money on a calibration device to do something I don't care nearly as much about. I want screen real estate and higher resolution, not perfect color representation but also don't want to have a picture that drifts too much, having never knowingly seen a VA panel, only IPS, VA and OLEDs, I can't comment on how good they actually are.

There it is, you haven't seen it, looked for it , or compared it..

I point that out,  I explain that hey, you're looking for a "BETTER EXPERIENCE" ,  the thing you want to watch out for is " I. J. K "

Instead of telling you what to buy,  I've told you what attributes to look out for,   Somehow you consider this unrelated..

Then you Rage, because I corrected you on your oversight.

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 13:54:55 »
It is also in how you chose some of your words to start throwing the first punch but can we get off of this little typing fight and just move on we all have different views of what makes a good monitor I don't care so much about ipc av or that other one all monitors are almost made to look best looking straight at it other then that other one I don't remember but that doesn't matter I will optimize monitor position to what I'm doing typically that's what's nice about a monitor you can move it much but maybe blindassassin has to view off axess frequently and thats their preference

So unless you have a recommendation for a monitor in the price range and ipc then just leave it be.

I point that out,  I explain that hey, you're looking for a "BETTER EXPERIENCE" ,  the thing you want to watch out for is " I. J. K "

Instead of telling you what to buy,  I've told you what attributes to look out for,   Somehow you consider this unrelated..

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:00:02 »

Not really, I was looking for specific models, not your "BETTER EXPERIENCE" suggestion of a calibration device.

I even came back and said "can you give recommendations for VA monitors that fit the bill?", to give VA a chance and see if maybe they would fit my needs better, but you didn't. Attributes to look for doesn't equal good monitor, the Spectre mentioned for example is exactly what I am looking for, but low quality so it isn't a good option.

You might want to look back at what you have actually said because you actually did try to insult me and put yourself in a superior position(not opinion, you literally typed statements that have that literal meaning without tone being considered). And you try and act all innocent like you never did such a thing and that is literally what you are known for so...I don't see how you are still so blind of that fact. I didn't start the thread to list all of the information that I know about monitors, but instead get insulted and told I know nothing and should only listen to your opinion and everything I know is basically trash even if it is actually more true. You need to realize that others may actually know more than they lead on because it isn't relevant to the discussion, but that doesn't mean they lack knowledge or anything of the nature.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:02:10 »
It is also in how you chose some of your words to start throwing the first punch but can we get off of this little typing fight and just move on we all have different views of what makes a good monitor I don't care so much about ipc av or that other one all monitors are almost made to look best looking straight at it other then that other one I don't remember but that doesn't matter I will optimize monitor position to what I'm doing typically that's what's nice about a monitor you can move it much but maybe blindassassin has to view off axess frequently and thats their preference

So unless you have a recommendation for a monitor in the price range and ipc then just leave it be.

Exactly my point, I do typically view off axis and straight on, I never sit exactly in the center as it depends on what I am doing at the moment. Plus I was just wanting recommendations not TP4 to come in hear and argue about how I know nothing about what I want.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:16:46 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:11:30 »

Not really, I was looking for specific models, not your "BETTER EXPERIENCE" suggestion of a calibration device.

I even came back and said "can you give recommendations for VA monitors that fit the bill?", to give VA a chance and see if maybe they would fit my needs better, but you didn't. Attributes to look for doesn't equal good monitor, the Spectre mentioned for example is exactly what I am looking for, but low quality so it isn't a good option.

You might want to look back at what you have actually said because you actually did try to insult me and put yourself in a superior position(not opinion, you literally typed statements that have that literal meaning without tone being considered). And you try and act all innocent like you never did such a thing and that is literally what you are known for so...I don't see how you are still so blind of that fact. I didn't start the thread to list all of the information that I know about monitors, but instead get insulted and told I know nothing and should only listen to your opinion and everything I know is basically trash even if it is actually more true. You need to realize that others may actually know more than they lead on because it isn't relevant to the discussion, but that doesn't mean they lack knowledge or anything of the nature.

You're mistaken.

I am in a superior position.

Not because I want to be, or emboldened myself through words..

I've explained the position, putting forth pertinent, researched, and well accepted information..

And I did give you a specific example of a monitor the 43 inch tcl 4/5 series ontop of the attributes to look out for.

BlindAssassin111 knowing nothing about monitors is a fact..  Not a fact Tp4 created, or exploited, it's just as is..

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:20:59 »
You're mistaken.

I am in a superior position.

Not because I want to be, or emboldened myself through words..

I've explained the position, putting forth pertinent, researched, and well accepted information..

And I did give you a specific example of a monitor the 43 inch tcl 4/5 series ontop of the attributes to look out for.

BlindAssassin111 knowing nothing about monitors is a fact..  Not a fact Tp4 created, or exploited, it's just as is..

Final chance, if you don't have an actual constructive recommendation(a 43in TV does not count as I am looking for a 27in or so monitor) then leave this thread and stop pretending your opinion is fact, you can't actually prove what you have claimed is fact(ex that I know nothing, that is actually impossible and false, so a stupid opinion taken as fact by someone who prefers to think of themselves too highly).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:09:54 »
I may be willing to go up to 32in but I would have to think about it as my desk isn't really wide enough to accomadate it as it is configured(but I can fit it if I really wanted). So prefer 27/28 (still 4k because I don't feel like spending the money for the same resolution just because that is your opinion, and yes it is your opinion TP).
You are seriously in the exact spot I was a couple months ago.
If you go 32in, you have more choices because higher resolution has only just started to trickle down in size (probably due to pixel density issues),it's why I had to settle for 1440, I had no intention of getting dual 32in screens for desk and finding 4k at anything this size was nearly impossible unless I was willing to spend twice as much. As it was, the 25in screens I bought actually cost more than the similar resolution 27 and 32in screens simply because they are just not common.

You would have expected 4k screens to have reached critical mass and been affordable by now, but they just haven't. Monitor manufacturers have always been slow reacting to pixel density changes, look at how many 1366x768 laptops are still sold today. They would much rather increase refresh rate or add gsync of Freesync than give you a few extra pixels. Monitor technology is probably the slowest advancing computer part in your system other than power supplies, and even that is debatable.

Bottom line, if you want to spend less than $300 on a monitor, your options are quite limited, you are probably going to end up with a high refresh 1080p, larger than 30inches or stuck with 1440p. It's just what the market offers for the time being. My advice, get a 1440p Dell or Samsung (probably both Samsung made panels) and be happy with it for the next few years then try again.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 20:07:13 »
You are seriously in the exact spot I was a couple months ago.
If you go 32in, you have more choices because higher resolution has only just started to trickle down in size (probably due to pixel density issues),it's why I had to settle for 1440, I had no intention of getting dual 32in screens for desk and finding 4k at anything this size was nearly impossible unless I was willing to spend twice as much. As it was, the 25in screens I bought actually cost more than the similar resolution 27 and 32in screens simply because they are just not common.

You would have expected 4k screens to have reached critical mass and been affordable by now, but they just haven't. Monitor manufacturers have always been slow reacting to pixel density changes, look at how many 1366x768 laptops are still sold today. They would much rather increase refresh rate or add gsync of Freesync than give you a few extra pixels. Monitor technology is probably the slowest advancing computer part in your system other than power supplies, and even that is debatable.

Bottom line, if you want to spend less than $300 on a monitor, your options are quite limited, you are probably going to end up with a high refresh 1080p, larger than 30inches or stuck with 1440p. It's just what the market offers for the time being. My advice, get a 1440p Dell or Samsung (probably both Samsung made panels) and be happy with it for the next few years then try again.

Yeah it is tough right now to decide what to do...I may have accidentally purchased a 27" 4k monitor, so not sure if I will return that or keep it(despite it costing well over what I wanted to spend) and find something else. I really don't want to go 1440p because I feel like it would be a waste of money and it would be smarter to just wait instead, even if my current monitor is pretty old and probably not too far away from its end.

We shall see tomorrow or thursday I guess, I won't let the decision linger too long. But to go 32" is a big commitment, as I use one edge of my desk as a nightstand and if I went 32" it would no longer be able to function as a small nightstand and a desk.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 21:06:12 »
Personally, I think a good 1440p is going to be better than a bad 4k, especially if you can get it for a reasonable price.
It's still a major upgrade over 1080 and buys time for 4k to come down in cost.

Don't forget you need the video system to push 4k, even if not gaming. 
HDMI has trouble going over 1080 even if you aren't gaming. It also taxes CPU, drives and vram trying to fill those pixels. If the rest of your system is not modern and built, 4k is going to be hard on it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 21:11:48 »
Personally, I think a good 1440p is going to be better than a bad 4k, especially if you can get it for a reasonable price.
It's still a major upgrade over 1080 and buys time for 4k to come down in cost.

Don't forget you need the video system to push 4k, even if not gaming. 
HDMI has trouble going over 1080 even if you aren't gaming. It also taxes CPU, drives and vram trying to fill those pixels. If the rest of your system is not modern and built, 4k is going to be hard on it.

What 10-series nvidia card do you think would be the minimum to run 4k all day? 1050ti 4gb? 1060 6gb? 1070? I built the system earlier this year.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 22:06:13 »
What 10-series nvidia card do you think would be the minimum to run 4k all day? 1050ti 4gb? 1060 6gb? 1070? I built the system earlier this year.
Resolution by itself relies more on Vram than anything else, if you aren't gaming anything will do, just make sure it has Displayport and  3 or 4gigs of vram. 

Just beware, you are effectively using 4x the pixels, so 4gigs of ram, even with a good GPU is like 1gig or ram on a 1080p screen. Gaming on a 1050 with 4k, is going to be like using a GTX 750 on a 1080p screen. It will play older stuff, but modern stuff is just not going to do well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 22:10:24 »
Resolution by itself relies more on Vram than anything else, if you aren't gaming anything will do, just make sure it has Displayport and  3 or 4gigs of vram. 

Just beware, you are effectively using 4x the pixels, so 4gigs of ram, even with a good GPU is like 1gig or ram on a 1080p screen. Gaming on a 1050 with 4k, is going to be like using a GTX 750 on a 1080p screen. It will play older stuff, but modern stuff is just not going to do well.

Okay, I have a 1050ti 4Gb and it says it can technically do up to 8k but obviously that wouldn't be smart. 4k I think would be fine but honestly not sure...still debating if I will keep the monitor anyways or just deal with this one for a little longer.

Offline JP

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 13:25:41 »
A year ago I bought a LG 27UD68-P 27 inch 4K monitor used for $300 and a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB for $130. It's been a nice setup for me but I normally play older games, watch netflix, or read text. I was using a 22'' Acer that I bought new back in 2008. Now it would be nice to have a second screen or a wider monitor that could function as two logical screens for work tasks.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 13:32:37 »
A year ago I bought a LG 27UD68-P 27 inch 4K monitor used for $300 and a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB for $130. It's been a nice setup for me but I normally play older games, watch netflix, or read text. I was using a 22'' Acer that I bought new back in 2008. Now it would be nice to have a second screen or a wider monitor that could function as two logical screens for work tasks.

Okay, the monitor that is showing up today(that I am not 100% sure I am keeping) is the 27UD68P-B(basically what you got but the commercial version with a 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year standard). Do you ever have issues with the setup? Because you basically did a very similar jump with nearly the same setup.

Offline JP

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 15:09:14 »

Okay, the monitor that is showing up today(that I am not 100% sure I am keeping) is the 27UD68P-B(basically what you got but the commercial version with a 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year standard). Do you ever have issues with the setup? Because you basically did a very similar jump with nearly the same setup.

No issues with the setup but I'm not a professional and have never calibrated it.  :p I also invested in an adjustable monitor arm which gives me a lot of flexibility for positioning as it essentially doubles as my TV.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 15:39:56 »

No issues with the setup but I'm not a professional and have never calibrated it.  :p I also invested in an adjustable monitor arm which gives me a lot of flexibility for positioning as it essentially doubles as my TV.

Gotta go to the nxt lvl..  Calibration is like getting a new monitor Every 500 hours..

If you use your monitor for ~15,000 hours,  $150/15000,   That's only 0.01,  1 Penny per hour for total accuracy..

When something doesn't look good on your monitor,  it's always someone else's fault.. You did your part..

Most monitors get too dim around 15,000, but let's say you hit 26,000 hour, it'll be dimmer but still accurate..

0.0057.   Little more than Half a penny per hour.

It's the greatest gadget one can buy for Computers.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:54:10 »
Welp, monitor arrived with a dead pixel cluster, so I am getting a refund and sending it back. Sad because I do love how good the monitor looks(expecially the 4k text clarity) but it was the opportunity to back out and I realized I
would rather just save the money and wait till next year to consider getting one again(because I know I will want one after seeing this).

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:56:12 »
You tried the Spectre?
Welp, monitor arrived with a dead pixel cluster, so I am getting a refund and sending it back. Sad because I do love how good the monitor looks(expecially the 4k text clarity) but it was the opportunity to back out and I realized I
would rather just save the money and wait till next year to consider getting one again(because I know I will want one after seeing this).

Offline Sniping

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:00:50 »

that sucks

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:04:08 »
You tried the Spectre?
It's Sceptre and the reason they are so cheap is because they use grade b, or rejected panels.

That is why all these lower priced off brand screens are so cheap (even lower priced good brands have issues, this just compounds them), they get the screens that were not good enough for Samsung, Dell, LG or Viewsonic to use, either due to brightness or dead pixels or other such not so obvious problem. Then they often chop as many features, ports, buttons and frame as they can to further reduce cost. Their dead pixel guarantees are usually far more slack as well, even if they know most people will not be bothered.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:15:19 »
No I got the LG 27UD68P-B which is really nice, but sadly not 100%.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:24:06 »

Gotta go to the nxt lvl..  Calibration is like getting a new monitor Every 500 hours..

If you use your monitor for ~15,000 hours,  $150/15000,   That's only 0.01,  1 Penny per hour for total accuracy..

When something doesn't look good on your monitor,  it's always someone else's fault.. You did your part..

Most monitors get too dim around 15,000, but let's say you hit 26,000 hour, it'll be dimmer but still accurate..

0.0057.   Little more than Half a penny per hour.

It's the greatest gadget one can buy for Computers.

I wonder though if one could just hold a color wheel next to the screen and adjust?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:45:04 »

I wonder though if one could just hold a color wheel next to the screen and adjust?

That's Ol'Skool..

It's literally how they used to do it.. Except with a patches book.. !!