Author Topic: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (GB live now on CannonKeys!)  (Read 45935 times)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
[IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (GB live now on CannonKeys!)
« on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 22:47:14 »
Check out Apiary Keyboards stream for a typing test (May 27th). Here's the link: https://www.twitch.tv/apiarykeyboards/

TLDR:
  • 5x12 ortho custom (Preonic layout)
  • 2 degree angle (mostly so the pen rail is functional)
  • top mount with no seams - the bottom plate covers most of the bottom so you can slide the plate and PCB up into the board (like the Neuron)
  • bottom plate also curves up into the back (similar to Keycult No. 2 rev.1 TKL)
  • LEDs diffusers on front and sides for LED underglow
  • Will be run on Cannon Keys
  • Proto will be ordered soon
  • FCFS - 100 boards
  • GB date will be set after proto is received and reviewed GB likely late March or early-to-mid April

Update 1 HERE (form results)

Update 2 HERE (2x2u support and Open Source PCB)

Update 3 HERE (proto incoming)

Update 4 HERE (proto received)

Update 5 HERE(PCB proto and minor issue)

Update 6 HERE(GB imminent!)

Update 7 HERE(Pricing)

Glamour Shots w/GMK Minimal

231149-0
More
231151-1
231153-2
231155-3
231157-4

SA SAIL

239200-5
239202-6

bottom design - credit to OCM  :thumb:
231159-7

Form: Help Decide on Colors, 2x2u bottom layout, plate material, and Hotswap or Not

More Info

Why?
It's the beauty of this hobby. Do you have an idea for something you think is cool? Well, if a bunch of other folks think it is cool too, then you can run a GB and make that thing a reality. Never thought I'd run a keyboard IC, but then I found out from using the Fractal (5x12 ortho), which was my 2nd GB ever, that I liked the ortho layout - it's probably because I have small hands  :-X Anyway, there was a real need in the community for a mid to high-end custom 5x12 ortho, so after following some Fusion360 tutorials, I decided on make my own. I have a couple of other designs too, so perhaps if this one does well I can explore those.

What?
Custom 5x12 ortho board with a LED underglow, which will be be diffused out of the board from cutouts in the front and sides. Will either use acrylic, PC, or some other transparent material. It also includes a 2 degree angle - right?! - it's for the pen rail mostly. The pen rail is secured by screws in this initial design, but we may use magnets if it's significantly cheaper (Jae's boards use magnets). The bottom plate covers most of the bottom of the board and allows the plate and PCB to slide into the top of the case giving the board a seamless look and a top mount plate design. The USB-C cutout will be in the middle and is not shown in the renders - I'm letting Upas handle that or I'd make it look janky. The bottom cover/plate integrates into the back of the case similar to the Keycult No.2 rev. 1 TKL - please see render as an example and it will either be brass, stainless steel, or perhaps both materials will be available. Lastly, as for plate material, I'll likely open that up to you all to decide.

When?
2020. Undetermined at this time. Will likely set a GB date after the proto is received and the design is solid. What I can say is probably not February since that is when the J-02 is being run on Cannon Keys.

Where?
Cannon Keys. 50 (changed to 100) FCFS. Having a vendor with experience in running boards helps me a great deal in bringing a quality product with minimal hiccups. It also allows the run to be larger. Thanks Upas  :thumb:

FAQ

Why not go with the far superior 4x12 (Planck) layout?!

The number row is where you store your novelties and artisans, duh! On a more serious side, I started out with the 5x12 layout first and it's what I'm accustomed to. I also like having numbers for the off chance I have time to game.

Can you put lock switches under the pen rail so it can act like an extra switch? Or perhaps make it spring loaded so it can be flush when pressed in and up when depressed. Or perhaps make the pen rail go through the bottom of the board so that the angle can be adjusted exactly to one's liking?

40's server - y'all are the best but it's not happening this time. Perhaps if there ever is a round 2.

2 degree angle? Why have an angle at all?

Initially the board was going to be flat, but Upas and I decided that the board would likely need an angle in order for the pen rail to be functional. I also added a few more mm to the back so that there would be more room for a pen or pencil.

Can I have your proto?

Not likely, but maybe Upas will sell you his.

What colors?
Dark grey, white, and dark blue or navy

Will it have switch footprints for mounting your own LEDs?

No

Alps support?

I personally would love to do an Alps build in this board so I'd like the PCB to have MX-Alps footprints. If so, I can release an Alps DXF plate file during the GB period for you to have your own Alps plate made (should be approx. 1.2-1.3mm thick instead of 1.5mm like MX plates).

Price?

Unknown at this time, but you can expect the price to line up with most other mid-to high end customs. Although it looks simple, it has 7 9 pieces so that will push the price up some.

19.00mm (Planck and Preonic) spacing or 19.05mm spacing?
Atlas will use 19.05 spacing like every other board besides the Preonic and Planck.

Special Thanks:
  • Abec - for doing renders in the midst of a very busy time (SA Sunday Morning GB - IT'S LIVE! - 45-ATS GB soon and Finals
  • One Creative Mind for the bottom plate artwork - excellent job as always
  • Upas for agreeing to take up the project and help with PCB and board design as well as all the other logistical things it takes to turn a board into an actual product

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2020, 12:30:51 by nasp »

Offline phunktional

Re: [IC] ATLAS ortholinear board - top mount with seamless body
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 22:49:57 »
Interested!

Offline legolandalf

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 22:53:05 »
Looks awesome!

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:01:10 »
This looks pretty cool! I've started using  XD64 since a couple of weeks ago, now I'm a big fan of top-mounted plates / cases.
In addition, Preonic is one of my favourite boards, so no reasons to miss this one for me;)

Offline octix

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:02:31 »
Yesyesyes

Discord: octix#0478

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:06:12 »
Looks awesome, watching with interest for sure!

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:20:20 »
This might just be my first proper ortho board. Beautiful work nasp!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:21:14 »
wish this was 4 or 5 degree incline, but may still try for it when it goes live. do like preonic layout

Offline equalunique

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 01:18:55 »
Design is good! Support for 2x2u space would be even better.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline piit79

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 02:00:15 »
What, a custom ortho, and a 5 row one even?! I think I'll just have to jump onto this. Awesome, bring it on!

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 03:57:29 »
Finally great preonic-based keyboard!!!1!1!

Offline astronavy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 09:31:24 »
looks very cool! any logo expected?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 09:56:33 »
looks very cool! any logo expected?

Just the design that was posted beneath the renders. It'll go on the bottom of the weight/plate.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 10:02:52 »
Personally I'm more of a split ortho user if I'm going ortho, but this is looong overdue. Looking forward to this and hopefully others like it following.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 11:33:17 »
I'm in pending the price

Offline farmisen

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 13:02:07 »
Been waiting for something like this for a long time. This is going to be my next gaming rig.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Ahntics

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 18:49:13 »
Looks dope can't wait.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 22:56:33 »
Would it be possible to have an option to get a pen rail that is flush with the top? I like the inlay but not a big fan of the aesthetic of the pen rail itself.

Offline consumer

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 05:54:49 »
Would it be possible to have an option to get a pen rail that is flush with the top? I like the inlay but not a big fan of the aesthetic of the pen rail itself.
I also think the pen rail is too close to the keys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 06:06:32 »
interested

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 06:22:07 »
I'll definitely be trying to get one of the 50! Is there going to be another round after?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 12:10:20 »

We'd have to cut it shorter than the other pen rails. If enough people want it flush, it could be a possibility but I'd consider it a long-shot.

I also think the pen rail is too close to the keys

I think you may be right. Let me see if I can move it back without changing the dimensions of the case. I'm worried I might have to make the back of the case longer which might mess up the proportions, but if I don't make it longer the pen rail might lose its functionality. Ultimately the proto will give us definitive answers from which we can adjust the final design.

I'll definitely be trying to get one of the 50! Is there going to be another round after?

Too early to make that call. We'll have to see how many people line up to buy.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 00:53:53 »

We'd have to cut it shorter than the other pen rails. If enough people want it flush, it could be a possibility but I'd consider it a long-shot.

I understand. Worth asking though, thanks!

Offline Serious salamander

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 09:50:18 »
Beautiful, filled out form, hot swap and I’m in. I’m terrible at soldering. Hope this gets attention!

Offline pohlmanry

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 17:49:16 »
Interested, esp if its hotswap.

Offline Ghghop

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 11:07:17 »
Im saving already for this in preparation. Even if hotswap doesn't become a thing I've got plenty of sockets on standby to make it so. :thumb:

JJ50                   Preonic

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 11:15:10 »
We've received an overwhelming response for hotswap so we'll most likely add this. Since I'm wanting to do an Alps build in the future, I'll likely make a non-hotswap PCB available for those that want to do Alps or who just don't like hotswap.

Also, I'll share some of the other data like colors, 2x2u support, and plate material options later. Thanks everyone for the support.  :)

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 19:41:35 »
We've received an overwhelming response for hotswap so we'll most likely add this. Since I'm wanting to do an Alps build in the future, I'll likely make a non-hotswap PCB available for those that want to do Alps or who just don't like hotswap.

Also, I'll share some of the other data like colors, 2x2u support, and plate material options later. Thanks everyone for the support.  :)
Woot. Alps ftw. Just need some cool Alps keycaps after that. Do you have a projected GB date?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 21:48:07 »

Woot. Alps ftw. Just need some cool Alps keycaps after that. Do you have a projected GB date?

Not at this time. We will evaluate a GB date once the prototype checks out. I can tell you that it won't be January or February - not saying it's March though. But definitely not January or February unless something wild happens.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 22:58:05 »
Update

Now that it has had time to incubate, let's give out some statistics and more details:

Colors

We will be offering three color choices:
  • dark grey
  • e-white (small extra-charge)
  • navy

These three choices were by far the most popular choices; however a not too distant fourth was purple. Sorry to those who wanted a purple Atlas.

2x2u Spacebar support?
YES

Just over half expressed interest so we will be adding support for 2x2u bars in addition to grid and MIT (single 2u bar).

Hotswap?
YES

Hotswap received an overwhelming amount of support at 80% of people expressing a desire for it. I will be making a non-hotswap MX-ALPs PCB for those who do not want a hotswap one, but it will be very limited (probably less than 10).

Plate Material

Brass won out over all the other choices and polycarbonate was the most liked of the flex options. Translation: Brass plate will be the default with the option to add-on a polycarbonate plate for those who want something a bit different. I'll be releasing the plate file after the GB is underway for those who would like to explore additional options.

Number of Units

We received an enormous amount of inquires - just shy of 300 - so Upas and I have decided to raise the number of boards sold from 50 to 100. Doing this will both lower the cost of the board a bit and also allow more people a chance to purchase one. I don't envision folks needing to checkout from the store in under 10 seconds flat to secure a board.

Proxies

Cannon Keys is able to ship international so I don't see a need to use a proxy at this time; however, I know that EU import fees can be a nightmare. Closer to the GB I'll probably release another poll to find out country of origins so I can better gauge if an EU proxy is needed. If you're reading this and you are buying from the EU, please be on the lookout for the poll. Once we receive the prototype and verify the design, we should be close to a GB date.

Lastly, here's a view of the USB cutout.

233274-0

Thanks for reading. Cheers  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2020, 04:15:36 by nasp »

Offline consumer

Any renders or color samples of the Navy?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Any renders or color samples of the Navy?

Should be close to the navy on the Satisfaction 75. I needed to confirm with Upas though so I'm not 100% certain, but fairly confident.

Offline magalahi

Very interested in this. I have three Preonics, but I'm looking forward to a high-end one. This looks super good man.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
January 7, 2020 Update

Small but not minor update

2x2u space support is done.

233190-0

PCB

It is either finished or nearly finished. It was a joint effort by Upas and Gondo. Because Gondo had a hand in it, the PCB will be open source and files available for anyone who would like to have them.

It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but the LEDs go around the two sides and the front. No LEDs in the back since the acrylic "windows" are not in the back of course. There's a little more than 20 LEDs total.

233192-1

Proto

The prototype should be finished before Chinese New Year and also mailed before then. We are expecting to receive it in February, but perhaps sooner. Once the prototype check out, we should be able to launch the GB; however since the J-02 is slated to run on Cannon Keys in February, the GB likely won't be then. We are steadily inching our way closer.

Lastly, I'll leave you with some pics of the Atlas with SA Sail, which will be running on Novelkeys in March.

233194-2
233196-3

PS: If you'd like to receive updates, please susbscribe to this thread or enter your email into the IC form listed on the OP.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2020, 04:16:27 by nasp »

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update2:Proto timeline and digital progress pics)
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:36:42 »
Interestivo!!

Offline utilitytech

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 13:41:16 »
Saving for this GB. If this and the Relic SSK arrive at the same time then god help me in making a decision. Can't wait to pop in my SA vilebloom on this. Plz try to bring the price down as much as possible.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 15:53:48 »
Update 3

Just a small update to say that the prototype is finished and on its way!

In order to beat Chinese New Year shutdown, we didn't have it anodized or the bottom etched with the Atlas art design.

Should have photos in a couple of weeks or less. Stay tuned

Offline Version467

Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update3:Proto shipped from manu)
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 16:33:04 »
Man, I'm so hyped for this board. I made and account here just to make absolutely sure that I don't miss the gb.
This is my first foray into higher end keyboards and I couldn't be more stoked.

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 20:22:26 »
Thank you for the regular updates on this one. It really helps!

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 03:05:57 »
Yeah, this will have to become my first group buy. Everything looks gorgeous!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 11:09:41 »
Very small update that I'm not even going to put a link to on the OP.

Board arrived at vendor's house (Upas). Shipping things out from his store is currently keeping him very busy though - Wavez, IDB60, and his regular inventory.

Also, the proto PCB was delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak in China. For that reason, he's been putting shipping things out from his store as his first priority. Without the PCB we can't fully test the board anyway. I hopeful by this weekend, perhaps sooner, he'll be able to inspect the board for any issues. Once the PCB arrives, he can do a proper inspection of it and then we can begin planning for the GB.

Cheers!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:23:41 »
Man, glad you update and I found this. The J-02 is about to go GB and got me to fall in love with pen rails all over again.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update4: Proto pics!)
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 09:54:13 »
After sitting in Upas' basement longer than I would like to admit, I present you:

235513-0
235515-1
235517-2
235519-3
235521-4
235523-5
235525-6

A few important notes:
  • In order to be shipped to the States before the beginning of CNY, this proto did not receive anodization or artwork engraving on the bottom
  • 2x2u spacebar support was added after we sent the design to the manu for the prototype

The PCB is still stuck in China and is delayed like most everything else manufactured in China right now. Once we have that, we can do a proper test of everything. But the good news is that we are one step closer to GB.

Offline Ghghop

Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update 4: Proto pics!)
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 11:30:14 »
Looking really good. I think the situation in China is going to have the keyboard community on hold for a while, but I'm looking forward to this once everything picks back up!

JJ50                   Preonic

Offline onlinegamer0

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:49:09 »
End game ortho! Definitely in! Passed on the J-02 so I could fund this instead when it runs ;D

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 06:38:42 »
Loving the progress updates!! Seriously, great job!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] ATLAS 5x12 ortho (Update 5: PCB has arrived!)
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:15:04 »
Update 5

After a long delay due to virus in China, our PCB has arrived!

Unfortunately, we had a minor issue with the daughterboard connector and a very minor fitment issue with the daughterboard in the case, so in order to make sure everything is perfect we are doing another proto run of just the PCB. This should *fingers crossed* be our last proto run after which we will be launching the GB. Again, with the manufacturing slow-down in Asia the wait for the PCB will be a bit longer than usual.

Thanks for keeping up with this. Cheers!

edit: initially this post read as we were going to do another round of protos for the case and the PCB. This was a misunderstanding on my part. The new proto only applies to the PCB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:24:18 by nasp »

Offline Tainado

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 03:40:55 »
Dont worry , we are some patient bast***lol....appreciate your effort !!!

Offline piit79

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 05:07:29 »
Cool cool cool! I don't mind waiting, will give me some time to possibly save up ;)

Offline sudogit

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 11:44:29 »
thank you daddyo this board looks so sick im willing to wait however long it takes <3.
so much simpler and modern than the ave I dig it.