Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 932833 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #1900 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 03:36:40 »
I suppose  I have a wrong concept of what tap key does. I thought that tap key mode would mean I could press a key for a longer period and it would return a different result than with a normal key tap.

So for example pressing the 'q' key for a longer period would result in 'Q' instead of 'q'. (long press on the q key is shift basically)

I do understand your example and how to set it up (although its not what I was looking for) but I still don't understand what I can use tap key mode for.

Oh I see, that sounds rather useful actually.  Sadly it's not supported, but all the code you would need is in there because 'hold to do something different' is what tap key mode does - if you tap a modifier key (ctrl, shift FN etc) it will output a character, but only if you don't press another key before releasing the mod and don't hold it too long.

This is useful on really small boards to give keys two functions and full size boards which are shared with someone who expects each key to do it's standard function - they will never press ctrl and insert, so ctrl becomes a 'with mod: ctrl' standard FN and on that layer insert could be a 'toggle' FN to a colemack layer or whatever.

I'll have a look when I get some free time (hopfully tonight) but it will need some testing.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1901 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 14:36:57 »
I suppose  I have a wrong concept of what tap key does. I thought that tap key mode would mean I could press a key for a longer period and it would return a different result than with a normal key tap.

So for example pressing the 'q' key for a longer period would result in 'Q' instead of 'q'. (long press on the q key is shift basically)

I do understand your example and how to set it up (although its not what I was looking for) but I still don't understand what I can use tap key mode for.

Oh I see, that sounds rather useful actually.  Sadly it's not supported, but all the code you would need is in there because 'hold to do something different' is what tap key mode does - if you tap a modifier key (ctrl, shift FN etc) it will output a character, but only if you don't press another key before releasing the mod and don't hold it too long.

This is useful on really small boards to give keys two functions and full size boards which are shared with someone who expects each key to do it's standard function - they will never press ctrl and insert, so ctrl becomes a 'with mod: ctrl' standard FN and on that layer insert could be a 'toggle' FN to a colemack layer or whatever.

I'll have a look when I get some free time (hopefully tonight) but it will need some testing.

Aahh, thank you for your explanation. Its taken me some thinking and some experimenting before I finally understood. It allows me to use a FN key as a Caps Lock key as well for instance. Just what I was looking for. :)

Do you mean you'll look into my idea? If so, that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 14:40:23 by Dwarlorf »

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1902 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 15:40:26 »

I'll have a look when I get some free time (hopefully tonight) but it will need some testing.

Aahh, thank you for your explanation. Its taken me some thinking and some experimenting before I finally understood. It allows me to use a FN key as a Caps Lock key as well for instance. Just what I was looking for. :)

That's a shame - would have been easier to substitute the new tap key mode for the old one, adding another mode involves not only making the mode itself work but somehow adding it to the GUI.  Unless you would be happy with this being the default behavior?  That would probably be easier...

I should warn you that I'm yet to mess with the actual code behind this so I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I will make it work :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1903 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 16:45:56 »

That's a shame - would have been easier to substitute the new tap key mode for the old one, adding another mode involves not only making the mode itself work but somehow adding it to the GUI.  Unless you would be happy with this being the default behavior?  That would probably be easier...

I should warn you that I'm yet to mess with the actual code behind this so I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I will make it work :))

Well, I would still prefer my idea because that would mean I could do without Rshift and keep my layout the way I imagined it. :D Personally I like to use multiple keys as little as possible.

To be honest, I don't know my preference yet because I'm not experienced enough with Easy AVR and all of its features. I just finished my KB this last week and have been busy figuring out how to optimally use Easy AVR to program it. Hence my questions these last days. But in general I think it would be best if it's added to the GUI as an extra new mode.

But I understand that you do all this in your spare time and I don't have a clue how time consuming such an endeavor might be. And I have not much to offer myself in return so I'm happy with whichever you decide. It's all much appreciated.

EDIT: maybe you can associate it with the rapidfire mode in the GUI instead of the tap key mode. I wouldn't know why I would need rapidfire.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 15:26:56 by Dwarlorf »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1904 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 11:12:47 »
EDIT: maybe you can associate it with the rapidfire mode in the GUI instead of the tap key mode. I wouldn't know why I would need rapidfire.

This is a great idea, I think I've done it but have no idea how to make it compile all the different versions - it's only outputting a single 'firmware.hex'.

Can anyone who's compiled this tell me what I'm missing?  I'm in Atmel Studio 7.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1905 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:55:49 »

This is a great idea, I think I've done it but have no idea how to make it compile all the different versions - it's only outputting a single 'firmware.hex'.

Can anyone who's compiled this tell me what I'm missing?  I'm in Atmel Studio 7.
That's amazing! Can't wait till I can use it. I have this idea of turning a numpad into a full mini keyboard which could make good use of this feature.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1906 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 10:20:22 »
tedk - after spending a couple of hours trying to get one of a pair of dodgy raspberry pis to boot, let alone work as an ISP programmer, I've given up and ordered one.  Not sure how long shipping from Poland takes but just so you know I've not forgotten you.

hey suicidal_orange, no problem and thanks for the update  :thumb: i'll be ready for new testing :)

I have a programmer and it works!  Flashed my Arduino Micro to the standard Atmel bootloader and did the fuses, then flashed it to a Teensy (the button didn't work) and now it's back to being an Arduino which registers as a keyboard, but I still can't get any keypresses to output.  More playing required...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tedk

« Reply #1907 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 05:45:52 »
tedk - after spending a couple of hours trying to get one of a pair of dodgy raspberry pis to boot, let alone work as an ISP programmer, I've given up and ordered one.  Not sure how long shipping from Poland takes but just so you know I've not forgotten you.

hey suicidal_orange, no problem and thanks for the update  :thumb: i'll be ready for new testing :)

I have a programmer and it works!  Flashed my Arduino Micro to the standard Atmel bootloader and did the fuses, then flashed it to a Teensy (the button didn't work) and now it's back to being an Arduino which registers as a keyboard, but I still can't get any keypresses to output.  More playing required...

hey good news :) how is it going?

Offline lejoiedevivre

« Reply #1908 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 11:10:00 »
The Mouse Function is amazing! It would be better with Wheel Up and Down key.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1909 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:43:32 »

Eh.. It was frustrating so I did something else, and now it's next weekend already :confused:

Just had another look and found a stupid error - there are row and column counts that I didn't swap ages ago when I swapped the pins.  Fixed that and flashed it to my Arduino (with Arduino bootloader) and it outputs an R key when it should - progress at last! 

It does not work with the Atmel bootloader on my Arduino though, so I can only suggest you Nerd to Arduino (configure USBasp in the arduino gui and then 'burn bootloader') then you'll need to flash the firmware with avrdude.  Then, if you're lucky, some keys will actually work!  If not please short a switch to the other side of it's diode to confirm it's just a config issue.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline worworwor

« Reply #1910 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 18:38:09 »
anyone knows how to activate the Planck LED?
Any key?

appreciate

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1911 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 19:01:48 »
Any key?

appreciate

In the keymapper go to 'View' at the top then 'LED configuration', then you can choose when it lights up :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline worworwor

« Reply #1912 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 19:22:12 »
Any key?

appreciate

In the keymapper go to 'View' at the top then 'LED configuration', then you can choose when it lights up :)

thx

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #1913 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 13:34:23 »
So I see TechKeys sells the GH60 PCB

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/gh60

According the wiki here, the Easy AVR supports Rev B, this one is Rev C. Will it work? And if not, can someone direct me to a 60% pcb, that has LED solder points, and is supported by this configurator?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1914 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 13:38:23 »
So I see TechKeys sells the GH60 PCB

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/gh60

According the wiki here, the Easy AVR supports Rev B, this one is Rev C. Will it work? And if not, can someone direct me to a 60% pcb, that has LED solder points, and is supported by this configurator?

Rev. C is just minor bug fixes from Rev. B, and both have the same schematic.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #1915 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 13:41:12 »
Rev. C is just minor bug fixes from Rev. B, and both have the same schematic.
So, I can build my Ducky Mini and Poker 3 love child then? :D

Sweeeeeeeet, thanks a bunch

Offline LeGourmand

« Reply #1916 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:24:24 »
Is there a way to use special French character using this. Like É È À and so on?

Offline Data

« Reply #1917 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:51:06 »
Is there a way to use special French character using this. Like É È À and so on?

The only way is with a macro Alt-code.

Those special characters are from the Unicode extended character set.  It's not possible to send them to the PC using standard USB/PS2 scan codes.

Offline tedk

« Reply #1918 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 14:49:12 »

Eh.. It was frustrating so I did something else, and now it's next weekend already :confused:

Just had another look and found a stupid error - there are row and column counts that I didn't swap ages ago when I swapped the pins.  Fixed that and flashed it to my Arduino (with Arduino bootloader) and it outputs an R key when it should - progress at last! 

It does not work with the Atmel bootloader on my Arduino though, so I can only suggest you Nerd to Arduino (configure USBasp in the arduino gui and then 'burn bootloader') then you'll need to flash the firmware with avrdude.  Then, if you're lucky, some keys will actually work!  If not please short a switch to the other side of it's diode to confirm it's just a config issue.

still the same problem - tried to flash the micro bootloader (Caterina-Micro.hex), but no success. Kernel throws the usual errors. Had a thought, maybe still a fuses problem? Does the Arduino Micro Bootloader even work on the nerd60? Sorry for the long time to answer, my job eats up my time and im too tired to work on the keyboard in the evening.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1919 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 03:31:53 »
still the same problem - tried to flash the micro bootloader (Caterina-Micro.hex), but no success. Kernel throws the usual errors. Had a thought, maybe still a fuses problem? Does the Arduino Micro Bootloader even work on the nerd60? Sorry for the long time to answer, my job eats up my time and im too tired to work on the keyboard in the evening.
Hmm... can't say I'm entirely sure on the fuses - I ran the command in the guide so assumed we were in the same place.  The NerD is just a circuit built around an atmega32u4 so I don't see why the arduino bootloader wouldn't work, unless it's the extra letters at the end...

I'm going to extract this conversation to it's own thread in the hope of attracting some AVR experts.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1920 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 05:53:53 »
I've successfully added a caps lock led to my GH60 rev c and Ive been able to activate it in Easy AVR so that's good. But...
The PCB also allows for 'poker arrow' leds (R-alt, R-win, R-ctrl, R-shift) but I don't see any options for this in Easy AVR. Is it not supported?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1921 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:36:13 »
I've successfully added a caps lock led to my GH60 rev c and Ive been able to activate it in Easy AVR so that's good. But...
The PCB also allows for 'poker arrow' leds (R-alt, R-win, R-ctrl, R-shift) but I don't see any options for this in Easy AVR. Is it not supported?

Not sure what went wrong but the version of the GH60 included is not correct - it has the right split shift the wrong way round.  Didn't realise it was missing LEDs too though!

Please find attached a corrected version which will show up as GH60F in the boards list, if the Poker arrows still don't work use 'Fn Key' and please let me know :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1922 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:19:56 »

Not sure what went wrong but the version of the GH60 included is not correct - it has the right split shift the wrong way round.  Didn't realise it was missing LEDs too though!

Please find attached a corrected version which will show up as GH60F in the boards list, if the Poker arrows still don't work use 'Fn Key' and please let me know :thumb:

Hi, I don't know what to to with that Python file. How do I use it?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1923 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:36:17 »

Get the Python version of EasyAVR from here. Drop that gh60.py file into the /EasyAVR/keymapper/easykeymap/boards/ directory. Assuming you already have Python installed, run EasyAVR with run.bat (Windows) or easykeymap.sh (Linux)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1924 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 04:29:59 »

Get the Python version of EasyAVR from here. Drop that gh60.py file into the /EasyAVR/keymapper/easykeymap/boards/ directory. Assuming you already have Python installed, run EasyAVR with run.bat (Windows) or easykeymap.sh (Linux)

It worked, thanks!

The right split shift is still the wrong way around.  :(

I got confused about the poker keys I didn't realize they were WASD. So I wont be installing Leds there. Maybe someone else can try it out?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:26:06 »

Did you make your board with the 1u or the 1.75u on the edge of the board?  I have the 1.75 on the edge and it's always been backwards, but everyone else has the 1u on the edge and says the default is backwards.  Perhaps the layout displayed in the keymapper is not accurate and I'm using the unfixed config thinking it's the fixed one because I'm loading a layout...  Attached is a version where they're swapped from the last file so it must be right for whatever you have - please confirm which that is :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1926 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 03:24:38 »

Did you make your board with the 1u or the 1.75u on the edge of the board?  I have the 1.75 on the edge and it's always been backwards, but everyone else has the 1u on the edge and says the default is backwards.  Perhaps the layout displayed in the keymapper is not accurate and I'm using the unfixed config thinking it's the fixed one because I'm loading a layout...  Attached is a version where they're swapped from the last file so it must be right for whatever you have - please confirm which that is :confused:

I take it you mean key size? I have 1u on the edge. I've downloaded your attached file and now it works correctly.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1927 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 03:44:34 »

Ok, it's official. I'm an eedjit. There's WASD ánd Poker keys on the GH60.

I've added LEDs to the poker keys (so R-alt, R-win, R-ctrl, R-shift) but they're in a constant state of being 'on'. Even when I power down my PC they stay on and I have to unplug the kb for them to go off.

I did some experimenting to see if I could change this.
-Making them WASD in easy AVR got me the same result.
-Making each of them a seperate FN key (with toggle) and select arrow keys on the respective layers. Same result except that it lights up the FN key as well when pressing one of the keys.  (which is not what I want) Silly thing is only left arrow works.

Could it be a hardware issue? Something I did wrong with soldering in the LEDs and resistors or maybe it's just not hardware supported?

If it's not a hardware thingy and  I'm not overlooking a setting in Easy AVR I think it really needs a poker arrow LED setting just like there's a WASD LED setting. It would be even more awesome if both WASD and poker keys would be in advanced LED setting as well if hardware permits.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 August 2016, 03:54:13 by Dwarlorf »

Offline mikew0w

« Reply #1928 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 10:14:49 »
Has anyone used this on a kinesis yet? Just picked up a 2nd so I can work on one w/o not having one to do actual work on.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 17:39:54 »

I've added LEDs to the poker keys (so R-alt, R-win, R-ctrl, R-shift) but they're in a constant state of being 'on'. Even when I power down my PC they stay on and I have to unplug the kb for them to go off.

-Making each of them a seperate FN key (with toggle) and select arrow keys on the respective layers. Same result except that it lights up the FN key as well when pressing one of the keys.  (which is not what I want) Silly thing is only left arrow works.

Could it be a hardware issue? Something I did wrong with soldering in the LEDs and resistors or maybe it's just not hardware supported?

If it's not a hardware thingy and  I'm not overlooking a setting in Easy AVR I think it really needs a poker arrow LED setting just like there's a WASD LED setting. It would be even more awesome if both WASD and poker keys would be in advanced LED setting as well if hardware permits.

Sorry for the slow reply!

Just had another look at this and on the GH60revC schematic there are actually 5 LED pins defined, which matches the resistors on the PCB.  I cannot convince my Fn Key to light up no matter what I do but the other four (Escape key, Caps key, Poker arrows and WASD), work and have the correct labels ih the attached config, and FN is attached where it should be so it should work too, in either standard or advanced LED config.

While messing with this I also made an alt layouts file (goes in the 'EasyAVR/configs') but there doesn't seem to be any way to swap the position of switches so there's no way to implement the big FN option which is what I was trying to do :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1930 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 13:31:44 »

Sorry for the slow reply!

Just had another look at this and on the GH60revC schematic there are actually 5 LED pins defined, which matches the resistors on the PCB.  I cannot convince my Fn Key to light up no matter what I do but the other four (Escape key, Caps key, Poker arrows and WASD), work and have the correct labels ih the attached config, and FN is attached where it should be so it should work too, in either standard or advanced LED config.

While messing with this I also made an alt layouts file (goes in the 'EasyAVR/configs') but there doesn't seem to be any way to swap the position of switches so there's no way to implement the big FN option which is what I was trying to do :(

Hmm, I tried your config and it works just fine with mine. My FN key lights up when pressing any 'tap key' FN key or stays on when a 'toggle' FN key is pressed until it gets pressed again.
I have the poker arrows LED setting on backlight and it works. When I shut my PC down they still stay on though.  :(

Btw, windows command gave me this error when I ran Easy AVR python version: IndexError: list assignment index out of range
I don't know if it's of any relevance (I don't have a clue what it means) but maybe it has some meaning to you.

And is there any news on this one yet by any chance? I'm still hoping for it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2016, 13:35:27 by Dwarlorf »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1931 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:58:32 »
Guess my FN LED is broken then, I have some funny wiring up top attempting to mirror WASD on the other side as pseudo backlighting attached to the Poker arrows pin so can't say I'm surprised.  From what you're describing you've set it as 'Any Fn Active' and it works as it should.

Windows problems?  No idea I'm afraid, the debug/error messages are not the best.  Everything should work with the standard .exe version as far as I understand it, but I'm in Linux running the python version and it's all good...

The LEDs staying on when the computer is off is a motherboard feature - most turn off but some boards always keep power to some USB ports which is handy for charging stuff, but not for unwanted lights. It's worth trying another port but if you have no luck your only option is one of those auto power off plugs that disconnect the mains  when it goes on standby.  Why only one of the LED positions?  I guess it doesn't boot past the bootloader so all pins are in their default state and only that one is powered up :(

I did manage to compile the firmware with my mod in place and loaded and built a keymap against it, but it didn't have the desired effect - holding the key repeatedly toggled shift which is not helpful.

Turns out Atmel studio doesn't work in windows 7 and the only device I have with anything later is a little tablet which is frustratingly slow, has a tiny screen and only one USB port - it's not an idea development environment!  Can't get that version to install on a virtual machine either, and as it's tablet can't just pull the hard drive and clone it.  It's not forgotten, just need to accept that there's no better way and get on with it :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1932 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 17:24:21 »
I did manage to compile the firmware with my mod in place and loaded and built a keymap against it, but it didn't have the desired effect - holding the key repeatedly toggled shift which is not helpful.

Turns out Atmel studio doesn't work in windows 7 and the only device I have with anything later is a little tablet which is frustratingly slow, has a tiny screen and only one USB port - it's not an idea development environment!  Can't get that version to install on a virtual machine either, and as it's tablet can't just pull the hard drive and clone it.  It's not forgotten, just need to accept that there's no better way and get on with it :))

I will.  :(

Do you by any chance know if it's possible to program such a feature in TMK? I'm working on this little project (mini keyboard) where I could use it very well.

The LEDs staying on when the computer is off is a motherboard feature - most turn off but some boards always keep power to some USB ports which is handy for charging stuff, but not for unwanted lights. It's worth trying another port but if you have no luck your only option is one of those auto power off plugs that disconnect the mains  when it goes on standby.  Why only one of the LED positions?  I guess it doesn't boot past the bootloader so all pins are in their default state and only that one is powered up :(

Aha. I've tried to see if there's a setting in my BIOS but alas.  :( :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1933 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:04:12 »
Is any of the supported devices compatible with a Nerd60 converted to TMK?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1934 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:42:47 »
Is any of the supported devices compatible with a Nerd60 converted to TMK?

I've made the config file (attached) and it compiles and outputs letter keys on an Arduino, but tedk couldn't get it to work on his NerD and neither of us really knows enough about this stuff so it's stalled.  Feel free to give it a go :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1935 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 20:00:18 »
Haven't had the time to read through this thread & it's kinda late so I just wanted to ask - will this be an easy way to flash an Arduino Pro Micro? Have one laying around and thinking how to program it because I've heard it's not the same as with Teensy 2.0. The project would be a macropad or maybe an 40% if it's possible with an Arduino setup.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1936 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 22:25:15 »
Haven't had the time to read through this thread & it's kinda late so I just wanted to ask - will this be an easy way to flash an Arduino Pro Micro? Have one laying around and thinking how to program it because I've heard it's not the same as with Teensy 2.0. The project would be a macropad or maybe an 40% if it's possible with an Arduino setup.

You can easily build a firmware for flashing to a Pro Micro using EasyAVR, but flashing it is another story. EasyAVR requires FLIP to be installed in order to flash the firmware to the controller, and the Pro Micro doesn't have a friendly bootloader installed for doing that.

I was able to use an ISP prgrammer to load the LUFA DFU bootloader onto the Pro Micro, but that's not the "easy" solution you were hoping for, I fear.

in memoriam

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1937 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 03:26:21 »
@Dwarlorf

Random thought, the bottom row in the 'bl_modes' section of the config has just Poker arrows on - move the all zero line to the bottom instead and see if your LED problem goes away.

TMK is designed to be expandable so you could program your mode (don't ask me how) but as there's already a sacrificable mode it would be about the same difficulty to do it in EasyAVR.  I will look at it again tonight, it just can't be that hard!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1938 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 04:03:38 »
@Dwarlorf

Random thought, the bottom row in the 'bl_modes' section of the config has just Poker arrows on - move the all zero line to the bottom instead and see if your LED problem goes away.

TMK is designed to be expandable so you could program your mode (don't ask me how) but as there's already a sacrificable mode it would be about the same difficulty to do it in EasyAVR.  I will look at it again tonight, it just can't be that hard!

Pff, it's a steep learning curve for me. People must think I'm stupid.  :-[ Which config file do you mean? There's loads of them  :(

Regarding TMK. I just tried to make my own very simple keymap but got an error when compiling. Ive posted my files in the TMK thread to get some help. It will be a while before I'm even near programming anything of relevance. I'm only aping now and barely at step one of the programming ladder. It's gonna take some time before I'm capable of realising my mini keyboard plan so I don't need that functionality anytime soon. I'd appreciate if you could have a look at it but there's no hurry at all.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1939 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 08:18:27 »
@Dwarlorf

Pff, it's a steep learning curve for me. People must think I'm stupid.  :-[ Which config file do you mean? There's loads of them  :(

Regarding TMK. I just tried to make my own very simple keymap but got an error when compiling. Ive posted my files in the TMK thread to get some help. It will be a while before I'm even near programming anything of relevance. I'm only aping now and barely at step one of the programming ladder. It's gonna take some time before I'm capable of realising my mini keyboard plan so I don't need that functionality anytime soon. I'd appreciate if you could have a look at it but there's no hurry at all.

Open gh60.py in notepad and all will be clear :)

TMK is not fun which is why I'm in this thread, will look later if no-one's helped but need a computer to see three things at once to have any hope of helping!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #1940 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 11:14:16 »
@Dwarlorf

Open gh60.py in notepad and all will be clear :)

That was clear :)

But it screws things up when I'm compiling the hex file. As soon as I build the hex file Easy AVR randomly changes/removes advanced LED settings and only caps lock and poker arrow leds work.

I also got errors in the command box even after I reverted to the old gh60.py file:
More
\*****\Desktop\EasyAVR-master\keymapper>python -m easykeymap.gui
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1550, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\lib\tkinter\simpledialog.py", line 219, in ok
    self.apply()
  File "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\EasyAVR-master\keymapper\easykeymap\gui.py", line 1568, in apply
    self.gui.leds = ledfn
IndexError: list assignment index out of range

I'm going to reinstall Easy AVR and completely redo my lay-out. And I'm not going to bother changing Easy AVR settings ever again. :) It's way above my head.  :-[

But thanks for your help once again. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 11:43:21 by Dwarlorf »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1941 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:58:35 »

You can easily build a firmware for flashing to a Pro Micro using EasyAVR, but flashing it is another story. EasyAVR requires FLIP to be installed in order to flash the firmware to the controller, and the Pro Micro doesn't have a friendly bootloader installed for doing that.

I was able to use an ISP prgrammer to load the LUFA DFU bootloader onto the Pro Micro, but that's not the "easy" solution you were hoping for, I fear.

Maybe you have some links to educate myselfa on loading the bootloader? I'm a programmer so I'm quite fond of command line and hardware stuff but haven't had the time to do research. :(

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1942 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 15:54:17 »

Maybe you have some links to educate myselfa on loading the bootloader? I'm a programmer so I'm quite fond of command line and hardware stuff but haven't had the time to do research. :(

It will be the same process as DanielT describes here, but the wiring will be slightly different.  Sounds like you'll work it out :)

I have not had any luck running EasyAVR on that bootloader though, and nor has tedk.  Arduino bootloader (flashed from. the gui) works but the boot key won't work with that so you'll need access to the button to flash.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 15:56:42 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1943 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 15:56:21 »

It will be the same process as DanielT describes here, but the wiring will be slightly different.  Sounds like you'll work it out :)
Is the link correct? Opening it through tapatalk sends me to Booper sales thread.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1944 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 17:18:06 »

Is the link correct? Opening it through tapatalk sends me to Booper sales thread.

Eh... no!  try this link instead...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline beeull

« Reply #1945 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 21:04:58 »
KC60 updated file attached, cleaned up some stuff, it uses the 60% alt layouts, and it should have the correct columns now. I also incremented the unique ID by 1 in case there were any conflicts brewing if the previous version worked for some people before...

It definitely works great for my KC60 from this last Massdrop drop, I assume from the column order that Leondre said they had (which I had at least similar if identical mismatched order) that anyone with this same rev is in business now. Blatantly cribbed the column order from QMK's KC60.h, but I did replicate the work by hand because I was giving myself fits with multiple files with the aforementioned "unique" ID conflicts :rolleyes:

Hope it works for others, too!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1946 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 02:19:08 »
KC60 updated file attached, cleaned up some stuff, it uses the 60% alt layouts, and it should have the correct columns now. I also incremented the unique ID by 1 in case there were any conflicts brewing if the previous version worked for some people before...

It definitely works great for my KC60 from this last Massdrop drop, I assume from the column order that Leondre said they had (which I had at least similar if identical mismatched order) that anyone with this same rev is in business now. Blatantly cribbed the column order from QMK's KC60.h, but I did replicate the work by hand because I was giving myself fits with multiple files with the aforementioned "unique" ID conflicts :rolleyes:

Hope it works for others, too!

Excellent, thanks for doing that :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #1947 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 21:00:45 »
Will Easy AVR work with the Satan GH 60 PCB?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1948 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 21:34:43 »

I don't know how well it works 'cause I don't own a Satan GH60 but it is listed in the keyboard selection dialog.
REΛLFORCE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1949 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 03:43:43 »

It must 'work' to be in the list but the included GH60 and KC60 configs are not perfect.  Until someone notices problems no-one knows to fix them, so add all the LEDs and flash a basic layout.  If it works great - start on your perfect layout.  If there's supposed to be an indicator LED on a specific key that's not listed or the keys are shifted by a column (or any other weirdness) post back and I'll investigate :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod