Author Topic: Topre for a mac  (Read 11852 times)

Offline garage_logician

Topre for a mac
« on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 21:57:32 »
I am looking for a keyboard with Topre switches that will work with a MacBook Pro.  I was on mk.com and found a Leopold FC660 with Topre 45's.  I thought, perfect!  But it seems that it does not work with a Mac.  :-(   

Offline raymogi

Re: Topre for a mac
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 21:58:52 »
HHKB Pro 2 :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:00:22 »
I looked at that one but I need a dedicated arrow keys.  As a developer I use them a lot with Sublime (and other applications).  Having to access a separate layer would be awkward, I think.   

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:03:17 »
I hated it at first as well, but after a couple days of using it, it becomes second nature to hold down fn and access the arrow layer.

Although I understand if you need it constantly it's going to be annoying.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:16:45 »
Do the 87/104U boards not work? If you need dedicated arrow keys and are happy with a 60%, you'd probably do well with an 87U.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:17:17 »
I use a Novatouch without any problems.

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:24:38 »
Do the 87/104U boards not work? If you need dedicated arrow keys and are happy with a 60%, you'd probably do well with an 87U.

I prefer a TKL board.  I never use the number pad and since this is for my laptop (mostly) it will travel easier if it is smaller.  I prefer to get as compact as I can but I do want dedicated arrow keys.   Just learning all the terms (seems that keyboard enthusiasts have there very own language, which I am eager to learn  :-)).  Is an 104U a Tenkeyless board and the 87U a 60% like the V60?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:27:44 »
The 104 is a full board with numpad, 87U is the tenkeyless board, and hhkb is a 60% board :)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:29:34 »
I'm 99% sure you can use a FC660C on a mac.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:39:17 »

I prefer a TKL board.  I never use the number pad and since this is for my laptop (mostly) it will travel easier if it is smaller.  I prefer to get as compact as I can but I do want dedicated arrow keys.   Just learning all the terms (seems that keyboard enthusiasts have there very own language, which I am eager to learn  :-)).  Is an 104U a Tenkeyless board and the 87U a 60% like the V60?

To make it simple, Topre uses numbering based on number of keys. A standard full size keyboard has 104 keys, so the 104U is fullsize, and a standard TKL has 87 keys, so it's an 87U. If the letter is U, it's white, if it's UB, it's black, and UG is grey.

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 00:58:23 »
Thanks, learned something new.  :-)

Offline PrinsPils

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:10:29 »
The only thing you have to adjust in OSX are the keys. You can do this by going in System Preferences -> keyboard and click on modifier keys

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:00:35 »
The FC660 should work just fine on a Mac. There's even a DIP switch setting to swap the left alt with Windows so the command key would be in the "proper" place for OS X without needing to use a preference pane or 3rd-party software to change it. The HHKB is one of the most Mac-friendly keyboards out there - its meta key even has the command symbol on it. It's really not too bad getting used to not having dedicated arrow keys.

Realforce keyboards will work on a Mac, however, there is a bug in the firmware that causes the board to go dead if you try to use it to wake the system. There is no fix, but you can work around it by using an external mouse or your MacBook Pro's built-in trackpad or keyboard to wake the machine. The Realforce will work just fine after that. Here's a video I made to illustrate the issue:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:03:03 »
I am looking for a keyboard with Topre switches that will work with a MacBook Pro.  I was on mk.com and found a Leopold FC660 with Topre 45's.  I thought, perfect!  But it seems that it does not work with a Mac.  :-(   

Dafuq? I had two FC660Cs that worked flawless on my MBP.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 17:14:46 »
I used to think not having dedicated arrow key is a bad idea until I got a 60% board. I found using fn combination arrow key is much more convenient than moving my hands across the board to reach for dedicated arrow keys, especially if the fn layout is well-designed.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:27:06 »
HHKB Pro 2 JP has dedicated arrow keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline oasidasika

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 19:24:27 »

Can you run fdsa on mac without any problems or program ???

Offline Axollott

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 19:28:21 »

Can you run fdsa on mac without any problems or program ???
I don't really use the Novatouch with the MacBook anymore. It's on my pc now. Still a great keyboard that I use everyday.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 21:58:03 »
I'm 99% sure you can use a FC660C on a mac.

Dafuq? I had two FC660Cs that worked flawless on my MBP.

I was gonna say my wife also uses FC660C at work on her MacBook and there's zero problem, she uses it on her iMac too and it's also fine.

You just have to swap the command and control key in the keyboard preference menu in OSX.

In fact once you do that ANY USB keyboard would work on Mac as far as I know.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline oasidasika

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 18:42:04 »

Can you run novatouch on mac without any problems or program???

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 21:31:15 »
I use an HHKB Pro 2 for coding as well. I was a guy looking for dedicated arrows as well because of how often I use them. I thought I would struggle with the FN arrow keys but I'm actually doing it without thinking now and it's been working out really well. I also love the fact that the modifier buttons are big and easy to hit as well as sparse, so I don't hit a button I didn't mean to hit when touch typing (like the many buttons on my Pure Pro). Also, having CTRL right next to A is amazing. I don't know why I never considered using it there instead of caps lock.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 02:04:45 »
Most Topre boards should work fine on a mac. I used a realforce 87 on a mac with no issues.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Axollott

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 02:09:33 »

Can you run novatouch on mac without any problems or program???
I'll be as straightforward as I can. In all the time I used the Novatouch with the MacBook Pro I never ran into a compatibility problem at all. Only thing I did was swap a few keys in the OS X keyboard settings and that was all. Never had to look into it again.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:14:00 »
The biggest issue I have with using HHKB on a Mac is muscle memory for Command-` (which cycles between multiple open windows for the current app).

On most keyboards, the `~ ket is top left.  On HHKB it is top right.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 12:32:27 »
I use my 660C daily at work on my mac. Now that I have Hasu's controller in it, it's perfect.