Author Topic: [GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders  (Read 67062 times)

Offline Croktopus

[GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders
« on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 11:26:53 »

226644-0          226645-1
proto photos

Design
  • Isolated top mount
  • Plateless
  • 7.5 degree typing angle
  • Centered USB-C
  • Anodized aluminum top and bottom case
  • Small internal brass badge (not a weight)
  • 2.75KG fully built

Layouts
There will be 3 main layouts offered with the Timber Wolf - the TBR-Prime, TBR-A, and TBR-B. These layouts are roughly pictured above (with the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue), though the actual ones will all have a full column of 5 keys to the left of the 60% zone like you see on the TBR-Prime, as per the results of the IC. The order form will have clear images of this to avoid confusion.

One of the weird features of this keyboard is that you can order a custom layout, changing the physical placement of top case cut-outs, with the PCB designed to allow for some fairly different configurations. I broke down the possibilities by rough regions: Left, Right, and Top.

However, the 60% block also has a bunch of options, illustrated here.

Pricing
  • TBR-Prime: $365
  • TBR-A or TBR-B: $390
  • Custom Layout: $465
  • Extra PCB: $60
  • Extra TBR-Prime Top Case: $150
  • Extra TBR-A or TBR-B Top Case: $175
  • Extra encoder: $5
  • Extra knob: $5

Shipping
I will send out shipping invoices after I've received the items and finalize packaging. Plan is for custom boxes and custom cut foam. Estimates are as follows:
CONUS - $35
Everywhere else - $80-$100
I expect the final prices will be lower, but won't guarantee that. If there is a specific shipping method you would like to opt for, I should be able to accommodate that.

In the Box
  • Timber Wolf bottom case with brass badge
  • Timber Wolf PCB & daughterboard
  • Selected Timber Wolf top case
  • 2 rotary encoders & a brass knob
  • Everything you need to build it

Colors
  • Blue Grey
  • Dark Gray
  • Silver
  • Violet
  • Rose Gold
  • Red

Timeline
GB  opens 9/20 at 8PM PST.
The MOQ is 25, the maximum quantity is 40, FCFS.
GB closes after we hit 40, or after a month, whichever happens first.
People will have 1 week to respond to invoices before they lose their spot.
I’m estimating fulfillment in about 5 months, based on information from my manus, and assumptions that some things will go wrong. Could be less, could be more, but that’s my best guess.

Post-GB
If all goes according to plan, there will be a few extras and/or B-Stock available after the conclusion of the GB. A round 2 is also a definite possibility at some point, depending on how this GB goes, but that'll likely be years away.

After fulfilling the GB, I plan to open-source the PCB and top case design, so that people can design their own custom layouts if they want to.

Disclaimers
I don’t trust my manu to produce quite the colors that I want. Since perfect color matching was nowhere near a focus of this project, and I’m happy with the rest of the work that has been done on my prototypes, I’m not going to be completely starting over with a new factory. However, I’m also not comfortable advertising the color samples that I have received, as I don’t believe the final ones will be in line with them. To give you an idea of the problems I’ve run into, the rose gold was a bit too pink, the blue grey was a bit too blue, and the dark gray was a bit too light gray. That being said, I’m going to try to get the colors as close to my ideal as I can, but if it would break your heart to have suboptimal colors on your Timber Wolf, I would maybe recommend against joining in, or see if maybe there’ll be a B-stock in the layout you want and get it cerakoted.

On a similar note, the most expensive option (custom top case Timber Wolf) is also going to have the worst QA, as I can’t afford to order extras of one-off layouts in order to bin the best products. If I get a piece that’s super damaged, I’ll take the hit and order a replacement, but I highly recommend the TBR-Prime, -A, or -B layouts for best finish quality.

All sales are final, no returns or cancellations.

Switch Compatibility
This is a plateless, MX-only board. That means no Alps switches, no Box switches (unless you somehow get your hands on the custom ones Kailh is making), no Panda switches. Only PCB-mount switches will work on this board (so they need to have the plastic mounting pins), unless you want to spend your night straightening keys.

So, all Zeal switches will work, and I believe there are pcb-mount versions of most Gateron, Kailh, and Cherry switches (with the obvious exception again of Kailh Box, and I’ve also noticed that Kailh Creams fit a bit loose so I’d be wary of those). Most PCB-mount Gaterons will be a tight fit, including round 1 Inks, but Inks since the color options were introduced are much more comfortable.

FAQ:
2u vertical keys???
First thing’s first, all spots with 2u vertical keys support using 2 1u keys instead.
The reason behind using a numpad enter on a keyboard without a numpad, is that it allows you to hit enter with your mouse hand’s thumb. It’s something that I’ve done all my life, but if you’re confused as to why it’s there, I’d just use 2 1u keys instead.
The reason behind using a + key, is mainly for homing. I think that the delete key should be as close to its original position as possible, rather than having to go up a row with your pinky. However, when I’ve tried to use a delete key in the traditional position, but with another key under it, it just felt uncomfortable, so I tried using a 2u delete and I love it. I’d say it’s worth a try, but again, not forced.

The name?
The Timber Wolf is one of the most popular mechs from the tabletop game, BattleTech. This franchise has been my favorite for most of my life, and this keyboard is kind of a tribute to that mech. One of the identifying features of the Timber Wolf (well, omnimechs in general, but let's not get too deep in the lore) is its ability to quickly swap out loadouts, and the flexibility of its payload. Allowing custom layouts is part of how I've attempted to mimic that, and if you order extra top cases + pcbs, you can quickly change from one layout to another.

226650-2226647-3
Internal engravings. Left: The Timber Wolf's silhouette, engraved on a brass badge, bead blasted and electroplated silver. Right: The variant designation of this particular board, engraved on the inside of the top case, stylized after the old-school BattleTech font.

For updates, join me on yet another keyboard discord to put into a folder. https://discord.gg/d96xf2x

IC

226652-4
from the back
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:17:09 by Croktopus »

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 11:41:07 »
reserved

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 00:25:03 »
‘Ere we go!

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 01:05:16 »
Damn that TBR-B is nice
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 01:46:15 by Nigolski »

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, opens 9/20 @ 8PM pacific
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:49:23 »
A couple of questions:
-Are there any pantones on the colors?
-Is the encoder just a generic encoder? Not sure if I need to buy extras now.

Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to join.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:41:33 by Dissitesuxba11s »

Offline Starius

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:56:37 »
edit: never mind, saw my answer. 😁

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:57:43 »

the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue

Offline Starius

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:00:25 »

the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue

Thanks.  Trying to sneak a peak at this on a small mobile device at work isn’t ideal. 😉

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:59:58 »
A couple of questions:
-Are there any pantones on the colors?
-Is the encoder just a generic encoder? Not sure if I need to buy extras now.

Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to join.

Current plan is 10251-C for blue grey, 10219-C for violet, 10393-C for dark grey, and 10412-C for rose gold. For red, I'm going with the manu's color sample rather than a specific pantone.

The board will come with 2 encoders, both from the Alps EC11 series, one with detents (clicks as you turn it) and one without, so that you can decide. most people prefer with detents, but i'm a fan of without, for the analogue vibes (though it's worth noting that the encoder without detents is a little bit scratchy)
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 10:06:26 by Croktopus »

Offline EvaoftheIvy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 11:42:54 »
I'm ready, my wallet not so much.

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 11:48:54 »
How does it feel to type on this keyboard? Since it has no plate and it's top mount, did you feel a lot of vibration while typing on it?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 12:46:47 »
I'm ready, my wallet not so much.

story of my life

How does it feel to type on this keyboard? Since it has no plate and it's top mount, did you feel a lot of vibration while typing on it?

Some vibration definitely travels through the PCB, so if I lightly touch some keycaps with one hand and mash with my other hand, i can definitely feel it. when typing normally, you have to be paying close attention to notice anything. as far as the case goes, you have to really bang on the keys to feel anything from the aluminum (testing that caused me emotional pain). there's a pretty significant amount of flex, but it lacks a massive flex cut in the middle so it's not insane
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 12:49:00 by Croktopus »

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:38:46 »
Roughly how much space is between the PCB and the bottom piece? Just wondering how much materials could be put in there for acoustic adjustment.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:46:37 »
Roughly how much space is between the PCB and the bottom piece? Just wondering how much materials could be put in there for acoustic adjustment.

it's a 2.8mm gap

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:15:59 »
Oh I'm so excited!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:17:15 »
Interesting last name considering your affinity to Battletech!

Anywho, good luck with the GB!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:24:40 »
I  was reviewing the pre-list for order details you linked to.  Is the TBR-B base model different then the prototype?  Just checking because the small thumbnail image shows the TRB-B having the 5 keys on the right and TRB-B option 1 on the right side.

Just want to make sure this is the case because that's exactly what I wanted and if so won't have to order a custom layout then.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:26:59 »
Crap missed the detail - "Layouts
There will be 3 main layouts offered with the Timber Wolf - the TBR-Prime, TBR-A, and TBR-B. These layouts are roughly pictured above (with the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue), though the actual ones will all have a full column of 5 keys to the left of the 60% zone like you see on the TBR-Prime, as per the results of the IC. The order form will have clear images of this to avoid confusion."

Haha I need to read.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:37:35 »
Oh I'm so excited!

same here! So, there's at least 2 of the 25MOQ :)

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:49:25 »
Oh I'm so excited!

That bunny guy---he'll make it 3.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 21:27:31 »
Oh I'm so excited!

That bunny guy---he'll make it 3.

Who is this bunny guy? I don't know who he is but he sounds awesome.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:08:02 »
Looking at the submission form now. It says that 2 rotary encoders would come with a PCB. So if I get an extra PCB would I get a total of 4 encoders?

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:10:32 »
Placed an order.  Hope I made it in time.  Working on novelty keycap concepts right now for Prost!  Hope I can put it on a timber wolf some day  ^-^    Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested  https://imgur.com/a/l6mIm7Q

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:18:14 »
Submitted mine! Please ignore that one form I submitted way too early hehe
Timber Wolf + Zealios + Sanctuary Rebirth, let's do this!!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:22:22 »

Haha are you me?  That's my plan but likely Zilents.  =)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:26:29 »

Haha are you me?  That's my plan but likely Zilents.  =)

Ah I see you are a man of culture as well! I would've picked Zilents if this was my work board, but I love my tactile switches <3

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:34:29 »
Yeah I just need the quiet as the late night computing while wife sleeps makes loud clicks trigger wife agro.  I don’t blame her though.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:36:14 »
Looking at the submission form now. It says that 2 rotary encoders would come with a PCB. So if I get an extra PCB would I get a total of 4 encoders?

That's right - the base pcb comes with 2 - one with detents (clicks as you rotate it) and one without. an extra pcb, you get an extra of each

Placed an order.  Hope I made it in time.  Working on novelty keycap concepts right now for Prost!  Hope I can put it on a timber wolf some day  ^-^    Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested  https://imgur.com/a/l6mIm7Q

very nice :) so far we're at 16 orders (not counting false starts)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:37:34 »
very nice :) so far we're at 16 orders (not counting false starts)

Nine to go before I can rest easy!

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:40:16 »
That's right - the base pcb comes with 2 - one with detents (clicks as you rotate it) and one without. an extra pcb, you get an extra of each

Thanks for the clarification. Order submitted. I look forward to getting my hands on this baby!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:40:22 »
Wow that’s great.  Didn’t see any advertising on mech market or /mk so kind of surprised and happy i stayed up late.  Must have a few lurkers here. 

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 23:10:29 »
Must have a few lurkers here.

them's my peeps

Wow that’s great.  Didn’t see any advertising on mech market or /mk so kind of surprised and happy i stayed up late.  Must have a few lurkers here. 

heh yeah, i'll be posting it around on other sites in a bit

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 06:36:03 »

Nice set! I'd be more interested with (1) a beer stein novelty and (2) the possibility of pbt dye-sub.

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, GB is live!
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 06:55:05 »

Offline Starius

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:12:42 »
Just FYI, I had a hard time finding the order form. I had to do a search for it.   It's very hard to see on lighter themes.

226757-0

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:14:02 »
Important announcement:

https://soundcloud.com/dixie-mech/moq

YES
Now let's do the IC for your second keeb :))

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:25:51 »
Important announcement:

Haha first time I’ve heard that!  Get hype!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:30:17 »

Nice set! I'd be more interested with (1) a beer stein novelty and (2) the possibility of pbt dye-sub.

Oh I plan to do a couple of beer steins.  I want all beer stein variants for that macro row on the glorious Timber Wolf.  My big hold up is graphic design - I’m using Inkscape and learning as I go.  It makes it harder that I have a toddler, and basic home maint eating up my time.  If I could get someone with experience or buy up pre made beer icon novelties for cheap - it’d go a lot faster.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:48:12 »
Just FYI, I had a hard time finding the order form. I had to do a search for it.   It's very hard to see on lighter themes.

(Attachment Link)

hey thanks, i always forget about geekhack light theme lol, changed it to red, hopefully more visible now

Important announcement:

YES

haha, putting it together now. sorry, wanted it up earlier but ive been having trouble finding the perfect colors...

Offline Starius

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 08:16:13 »

(Attachment Link)

hey thanks, i always forget about geekhack light theme lol, changed it to red, hopefully more visible now

That looks a lot better now!  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 08:51:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Important announcement:

YES

haha, putting it together now. sorry, wanted it up earlier but ive been having trouble finding the perfect colors...

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited :))

Offline h.parks

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 21:00:10 »
Timber Wolf Pantones:

blue grey

rose gold

dark grey

violet

(red is custom, non-pantone as seen in the banner image and IC)

(per Croktopus's IC post with proto swatches, expect some manufacturer variance here)
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 01:52:12 »
Any chance I could get just a PCB? I like right-side layouts 6 and 7 but I really can't drop the money for a custom top piece.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 02:43:41 »
(per Croktopus's IC post with proto swatches, expect some manufacturer variance here)

emphasis on this bit. i've spent about as much on color samples as it costs to order an extra proto lol, but i havent found them to be particularly accurate, hence the disclaimer in the GB post

Any chance I could get just a PCB? I like right-side layouts 6 and 7 but I really can't drop the money for a custom top piece.

i dont want to sell stuff outside of the main orders as the extra work could slow down GB orders, but after the GB ends i should have plenty of extra PCBs, so definitely get in touch then :)

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:05:16 »
We're currently at 37 units ordered, or 39 if the two remaining people who filled it out before the group buy start time respond to my email. Looks like we might not have to wait a month to get started after all!

Thanks everyone <3

Offline kaziolas

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:48:15 »
What a shame it has a bad layout, otherwise it would be great

Offline h.parks

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 15:21:34 »
(duplicated post for some reason)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2019, 17:44:27 by h.parks »
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline h.parks

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 15:28:13 »
What a shameluck it has a bad3 great layouts plus a fully customized layout option, otherwise it would bestill be great

FTFY

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 18:38:30 »

Ability to customize layout... "has bad layout" 

Sometimes you just can't win.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:27:21 »

I don’t get it. The point of the Timber Wolf is that it has multiple layouts.
Unless you’re a troll and I just got whooshed.